DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Church Etiquette and other random stuff

Go down 
+2
catbox_9
laprimamirala
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:52 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
It's going to be interesting when I go on Saturday. You get to see all the Christmas and Easter people and watch them not doing what they are suppose to be doing. I shouldn't laugh at them, but it's hard not to...

I like the ones that sneak a pint of cheap vodka into church. You know who you are.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:52 pm

I haven't been to church since.... a very long time :haha: I used to go with my friends sometimes when I was in school.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Speaking of sneaking things into church...

after the sermon on how evil Muslims and Jews were I tried to sneak a copy of the Koran into church. My mom wouldn't let me so I didn't go. Haven't been back.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

bobrob2004 wrote:
It's going to be interesting when I go on Saturday. You get to see all the Christmas and Easter people and watch them not doing what they are suppose to be doing. I shouldn't laugh at them, but it's hard not to...
Rolling Eyes That's sort of me now. haha. I used to go all the time so I kind of know what I'm supposed to be doing.... but after rowing I'll probably start going again.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:53 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I haven't been to church since.... a very long time :haha:

I'm not the only one Yay2

Last edited by catbox_9 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:53 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

I like the ones that sneak a pint of cheap vodka into church. You know who you are.

whistle

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 pm

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

whistle

I always snuck in more than a pint

Stunned
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

whistle

Stunned

ashamed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:55 pm

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

whistle

Stunned

ashamed

At least I only tried to sneak in religious texts from "evil" religions.

Why can't we all just get along :shrug:
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:55 pm

TG wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
Rolling Eyes That's sort of me now. haha. I used to go all the time so I kind of know what I'm supposed to be doing.... but after rowing I'll probably start going again.

One time there was this nutcase that applauded applaud after the sermon on Christmas. :haha:

Don't do that and you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
TG wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

One time there was this nutcase that applauded applaud after the sermon on Christmas. :haha:

Really? You can't applaud? I never paid much attention to sermons and try and make a habit of not applauding something I didn't pay attention to, but I'd have thought that's okay.

I do know you don't try and do the wave or do things like "Give me a J! Give me an E! Give me an S!.... BLAH! BLAH! What does that spell? JESUS!

Last edited by catbox_9 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
TG wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

haha. That's ridiculous!
In the 16 years I have had to go to church I have never heard anyone clap during church, except maybe during a baptism or something....
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

whistle

Stunned

ashamed

They do have non-denominational churches that aren't suppose to tailor to one particular religion. You would probably get away with taking the Karon there.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

whistle

Stunned

ashamed

They do have non-denominational churches that aren't suppose to tailor to one particular religion. You would probably get away with taking the Karon there.

Bahai Faith supposedly incorporates all religions.

The church I attended said it was non-denominational. I guess it meant any type of Christian is okay. Everyone else is evil. I don't know what they thought of Buddhists, Hindus, etc. They only preached how evil the Jews and Muslims were. I'd imagine they weren't fond of those other ones either.

I think if I ever go back I'll bring the Bahadva Gita (sp?) and On the Origin of Species.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:00 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
TG wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Really? You can't applaud? I never paid much attention to sermons and try and make a habit of not applauding something I didn't pay attention to, but I'd have thought that's okay.

I do know you don't try and do the wave or do things like "Give me a J! Give me an E! Give me an S!.... BLAH! BLAH! What does that spell? JESUS!

Well, it's disrespectful. You're suppose to pray and reflect on what the priest had just said.

Exception: It's ok to applaud after a wedding.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:01 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
TG wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Well, it's disrespectful. You're suppose to pray and reflect on what the priest had just said.

There's different types of applauds. I mean I'd assume a loud applause with whistling would be a no-no. A golf-type clap seems respectful.

----

If you enjoyed the sermon you could tell the pastor/priest/speaker/whatever title they go by afterwards, right?
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:03 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
TG wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

There's different types of applauds. I mean I'd assume a loud applause with whistling would be a no-no. A golf-type clap seems respectful.

----

If you enjoyed the sermon you could tell the pastor/priest/speaker/whatever title they go by afterwards, right?
If you could find them.....
But no, you shouldn't clap.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:03 am

Combining the last several points....

Say my mom took her boyfriend (who is agnostic/Jewish) to her old church (which claims to be non-denominational) and the pastor gave a repeat of the "Jews are evil and bound for hell" sermon. Would it be appropriate for my mother's boyfriend to tell the pastor he thought his sermon sucked? Or at least that he disagreed with it?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

TG wrote:

Are they hard to find? Ours always hung around by the doors forever.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 am

catbox_9 wrote:

Say my mom took her boyfriend (who is agnostic/Jewish) to her old church (which claims to be non-denominational) and the pastor gave a repeat of the "Jews are evil and bound for hell" sermon. Would it be appropriate for my mother's boyfriend to tell the pastor he thought his sermon sucked? Or at least that he disagreed with it?

Sure.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 am

catbox_9 wrote:
TG wrote:

If I remember right my priest wouldn't. He would walk out of the church, or sometimes stand there and shake hands but you weren't allowed to stand around and talk.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am

catbox_9 wrote:
TG wrote:

It depends. Some go and hide in the back afterwords. Others will stand by the door and shake everyone's hands when the leave.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Really? I mean you'd probably try and be less blunt and what not. Then again since it wasn't a Catholic church and the Pope wasn't the speaker I guess maybe it would be okay.

It is my understanding that you wouldn't want to disagree with the Pope if you had a conversation about him. That's probably worse than clapping in church.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:08 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Really? I mean you'd probably try and be less blunt and what not. Then again since it wasn't a Catholic church and the Pope wasn't the speaker I guess maybe it would be okay.

It is my understanding that you wouldn't want to disagree with the Pope if you had a conversation about him. That's probably worse than clapping in church.

Yeah, it would be best not to disagree with the Pope.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:08 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Well I am thinking that you will never attend a mass where the Pope is leading it....
So you most likely don't need to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:09 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Yeah, it would be best not to disagree with the Pope.

Does the same go for the Archbishop of Canterbury? I don't think he's supposed to be infallible but I'm not an expert on Protestantism.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 am

TG wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Well I am thinking that you will never attend a mass where the Pope is leading it....
So you most likely don't need to worry about it.

You never know. I mean I try to get to Europe every now and then. At some point I'd like to go to Italy. If you go to Italy you go to Rome. If you go to Rome the Vatican is right there. If you're in the Vatican the Pope might be giving a sermon.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am

Can you clap after the Choir sings?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:14 am

SoulRat wrote:
Can you clap after the Choir sings?

I'd guess no.

They need some churches you can watch online (there are some I'm sure). That way if you want to clap or something nobody will get mad. That way if you are hungry during communion you can have more than a super tiny piece of bread. Or if you're SoulRat you can have a whole bottle of wine instead of a tiny glass. We got grape juice which would have offended SoulRat.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 am

LMAO You owe me Drunk

You can't even clap if they are really really good? That seems not nice No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 2 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Church Etiquette and other random stuff
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next