DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Church Etiquette and other random stuff

Go down 
+2
catbox_9
laprimamirala
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:17 am

SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

You can't even clap if they are really really good? That seems not nice No
That I don't know.... haha. Ask someone who goes more than 4 times a year.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:17 am

SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

I guess not.

I'd imagine you can't boo if they're bad.

If I had to guess you're better off clapping than booing if you have to do one.

-------

Bobrob says you can clap after a wedding. Can you boo?

Also, when the leader asks if anyone objects can you actually object?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
Combining the last several points....

Say my mom took her boyfriend (who is agnostic/Jewish) to her old church (which claims to be non-denominational) and the pastor gave a repeat of the "Jews are evil and bound for hell" sermon. Would it be appropriate for my mother's boyfriend to tell the pastor he thought his sermon sucked? Or at least that he disagreed with it?

Sure.

Really? I mean you'd probably try and be less blunt and what not. Then again since it wasn't a Catholic church and the Pope wasn't the speaker I guess maybe it would be okay.

It is my understanding that you wouldn't want to disagree with the Pope if you had a conversation about him. That's probably worse than clapping in church.

Yeah, it would be best not to disagree with the Pope.

Does the same go for the Archbishop of Canterbury? I don't think he's supposed to be infallible but I'm not an expert on Protestantism.

Well, the probability that you'll actually be able to talk with them after the sermon is small, but there is nothing wrong with questioning them about what they said to get a better understanding.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:19 am

SoulRat wrote:
Can you clap after the Choir sings?

Most of them (at least in my church) are no good anyway, so there would be no reason to clap. But no, not where I go to church.

There have been some churches that have allowed that, but no Roman Catholic churches that I've been to.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:19 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Say my mom took her boyfriend (who is agnostic/Jewish) to her old church (which claims to be non-denominational) and the pastor gave a repeat of the "Jews are evil and bound for hell" sermon. Would it be appropriate for my mother's boyfriend to tell the pastor he thought his sermon sucked? Or at least that he disagreed with it?

Sure.

Really? I mean you'd probably try and be less blunt and what not. Then again since it wasn't a Catholic church and the Pope wasn't the speaker I guess maybe it would be okay.

It is my understanding that you wouldn't want to disagree with the Pope if you had a conversation about him. That's probably worse than clapping in church.

Does the same go for the Archbishop of Canterbury? I don't think he's supposed to be infallible but I'm not an expert on Protestantism.

Well, the probability that you'll actually be able to talk with them after the sermon is small, but there is nothing wrong with questioning them about what they said to get a better understanding.

Got it!

Smaller churches let you talk with the speaker afterwords from what I can tell. I know on The Simpsons Reverand Lovejoy is always talking with the parishioners (look at me use big words!) after the sermon.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:20 am

SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

You're not at a concert...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:21 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Most of them (at least in my church) are no good anyway, so there would be no reason to clap. But no, not where I go to church.

There have been some churches that have allowed that, but no Roman Catholic churches that I've been to.

The church I went to had a really awful band. They played drums and electric guitars and what not. It was like being at a really bad rock concert. You felt like lighting up a joint until you remembered they tend to frown on that at schools and church...especially when it's church and school in one.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:21 am

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

I guess not.

-------

Yeah, you can boo, but why would you be attending if you didn't want to see them get married? And obviously, you can object.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:22 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Oh. I've only really gone to the Nazarene church. I've been to Catholic weddings and one Catholic funeral. They used this smokey stuff at the funeral that gave me a horrible headache.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:22 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Got it!

Smaller churches let you talk with the speaker afterwords from what I can tell. I know on The Simpsons Reverand Lovejoy is always talking with the parishioners (look at me use big words!) after the sermon.
My church is small but it's catholic.... he doesn't usually stand around
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Oh. I've only really gone to the Nazarene church. I've been to Catholic weddings and one Catholic funeral. They used this smokey stuff at the funeral that gave me a horrible headache.

Are you sure you were at church and not somewhere where people were smoking illegal drugs that caused you to have hallucinations that you were at church?
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am

SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

That incense ALWAYS gives me a headache!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

I guess not.

-------

Yeah, you can boo, but why would you be attending if you didn't want to see them get married? And obviously, you can object.

Yeah, but is this typical? I mean if you were to object wouldn't that catch everyone off guard?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 am

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Are you sure you were at church and not somewhere where people were smoking illegal drugs that caused you to have hallucinations that you were at church?

No. It was definately a church. Illegal drugs don't smell that bad.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 am

TG wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Sure.

Got it!

My church is small but it's catholic.... he doesn't usually stand around

Maybe it's a catholic thing? The church I went to had like 200 people or so per Sunday. On The Simpsons there's maybe 50-100.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Long convos much?! LoL
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Illegal drugs don't smell that bad.

If they're laced with something like ethyl mercaptan they do.

Last edited by catbox_9 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Haha...The incense. I always cough whenever they use it.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:25 am

TG wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but it was awful Mad
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:25 am

SoulRat wrote:
TG wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

I know it makes me not be able to breath well. I HATE it.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:26 am

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Illegal drugs don't smell that bad.

If they're laced with something like sulfur dioxide they do.

Well yeah, that might smell as bad.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:26 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

I guess not.

-------

Yeah, but is this typical? I mean if you were to object wouldn't that catch everyone off guard?

No it's usually not typical.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

gdennis59 wrote:
Long convos much?! LoL
Nod
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 am

TG wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:
Long convos much?! LoL
Nod

Us? whistle

Wave
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 am

Incense smell kinda good though.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

SoulRat wrote:
TG wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Yes, they can overuse it. I agree with that.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
LMAO You owe me Drunk

I guess not.

-------

No it's usually not typical.

Now I want to try it :haha:

I need to attend some random wedding.

I wonder what the preacher would say? I mean if I went to a stranger's wedding and said something like "I saw the groom last night at a strip club and he took a stripper home" what would happen?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

gdennis59 wrote:

Normal incense, yes.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

gdennis59 wrote:
Not the church one.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

SoulRat wrote:
TG wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:
Long convos much?! LoL
Nod

Us? whistle

Wave

Noooooo not you guys. LoL.

Wave

Whats up other than the whole mega long conversation?
"'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Church Etiquette and other random stuff   Church Etiquette and other random stuff - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Church Etiquette and other random stuff
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: