DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

catbox_9's job search

Go down 
+7
SoulRat
gdennis59
kharmon
gs78
TG
laprimamirala
catbox_9
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 5:45 pm

I went to a temp agency today. I'm still confused at how they work, but I gave them an application and watched a safety video. Too bad the video was all about fork lifts and heavy machinery - I'm not going to work in construction or with machinery so I doubt they'll get me a job.

McDonalds is starting to look real promising Frown
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 am

Don't they have an office or medical temp service? I, like Lap, also worked as a temp a long time ago and got some pretty good office jobs.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 am

The business card says they do that kind of stuff so maybe. I told her I was interested in medical-type stuff as I had a degree from UCLA. She then asked if construction interested me (NO...it does not!)

When asking about my educational background I said I had a B.A. from UCLA. The next question was if I had a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent. Umm....I think that's a prerequisite to being a UCLA graduate. I thought for sure she'd ask if I could read and write. She did ask if I could use a word processor....how could I not?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:08 am

catbox_9 wrote:
The business card says they do that kind of stuff so maybe. I told her I was interested in medical-type stuff as I had a degree from UCLA. She then asked if construction interested me (NO...it does not!)

When asking about my educational background I said I had a B.A. from UCLA. The next question was if I had a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent. Umm....I think that's a prerequisite to being a UCLA graduate. I thought for sure she'd ask if I could read and write. She did ask if I could use a word processor....how could I not?

Construction jobs are cool!

So are Demolition jobs

Be fun knock buildings down and blow shit up
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:12 am

I know, it's so stupid sometimes the things they ask. I also had to check if I was a high school grad on many of my teaching apps!!! I was like, ummmm, you can't get a teaching certificate without a degree and you can't get a degree without a high school diploma lol2
But hang in there, I just got a job that I'm pretty excited about, finally. YAY! Yay2 Champagne
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:14 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

So are Demolition jobs

College graduates don't tend to work as laborers.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:14 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

So are Demolition jobs

"blow shit up" LMAO
Just depends what he's into. If construction's not his thing, he probably won't be very happy.

Last edited by iluvpudge7 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

iluvpudge7 wrote:
I know, it's so stupid sometimes the things they ask. I also had to check if I was a high school grad on many of my teaching apps!!! I was like, ummmm, you can't get a teaching certificate without a degree and you can't get a degree without a high school diploma lol2
But hang in there, I just got a job that I'm pretty excited about, finally. YAY! Yay2 Champagne

I understand having to write down where I went to high school, but the fact she asked AFTER I said I had the UCLA degree made it hard not to laugh. She didn't ask if I graduated Jr. High or Elementary School however (yes to both).

Congratulations on your job Champagne
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:16 am

Thanks!!! I'm moving to FL. Probably leaving tomorrow or so. No snow this year!!!!!!!!! (unless there's some at Christmas while I'm here, but that's ok :haha:

Last edited by iluvpudge7 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

So are Demolition jobs

College graduates don't tend to work as laborers.

I got a Bachelors Degree,too

Some Construction Jobs pay more money than jobs with degrees!

Too bad they are as hard to get as Labor Jobs with the Auto Industry

Damn Unions!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
Thanks!!! I'm moving to West Palm Beach, FL. Probably leaving tomorrow or so. No snow this year!!!!!!!!! (unless there's some at Christmas, but that's ok :haha:

Champagne
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:21 am

Yeah, some construction jobs do pay really well. And, when I was looking at the Michigan Works website, they are TONS of skilled labor machinist jobs that pay decently. But most of them require a lot of experience. That's all there was here, machinist jobs, engineering (certain types) and nursing...if ya ain't in those fields, not much else here....
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:23 am

The problem with construction is you need lots of experience to make decent money (I have none and will be back in school in about a year) and they take a huge toll on your body....working for a year or so wouldn't be that big of a deal, but most lifelong construction workers end up with lots of back problems.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
Yeah, some construction jobs do pay really well. And, when I was looking at the Michigan Works website, they are TONS of skilled labor machinist jobs that pay decently. But most of them require a lot of experience. That's all there was here, machinist jobs, engineering (certain types) and nursing...if ya ain't in those fields, not much else here....

You got that right

Lucky to even have a job here
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 am

catbox_9 wrote:
The problem with construction is you need lots of experience to make decent money (I have none and will be back in school in about a year) and they take a huge toll on your body....working for a year or so wouldn't be that big of a deal, but most lifelong construction workers end up with lots of back problems.

Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSat Sep 27, 2008 4:06 pm

I got a jury summons today! That could be a job I guess. Too bad it only pays $15/day plus gas.
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSat Sep 27, 2008 6:25 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I got a jury summons today! That could be a job I guess. Too bad it only pays $15/day plus gas.
I got a jury summons for there too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 4:17 am

catbox_9 wrote:

clap
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 4:42 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

clap

That's hardly a job though. The courthouse is 30 miles away and they don't start paying you until the second day IF you're picked. Even then $15 for 9 hours worth of jurying isn't really a good deal.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 2:09 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

clap

That's hardly a job though. The courthouse is 30 miles away and they don't start paying you until the second day IF you're picked. Even then $15 for 9 hours worth of jurying isn't really a good deal.

15 dollars for nine hours of work is not a good wage

Unless you live in Mexico
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 2:12 am

I've come to the realization today that my life so far has been a complete failure and I've wasted every moment of it. If I do not get a job by tomorrow I am going to go back to the only job I've ever had (fast food) and work with the rest of the world's failures.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 2:16 am

catbox_9 wrote:
I've come to the realization today that my life so far has been a complete failure and I've wasted every moment of it. If I do not get a job by tomorrow I am going to go back to the only job I've ever had (fast food) and work with the rest of the world's failures.

Head Slap

Stop talking like that;

Your life is not a complete failure

Nor have you wasted anything

You act like you are the only 21 year old college grad that can't get a job

I still say you should apply for an internship with an MLB or Minor League Club
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 7:33 am

catbox_9 wrote:

With a master's degree, I started work as a temp for Kelly Services. It DOES get better...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 pm

I don't have a master's degree and there isn't a graduate school in the country (other than places like University of Phoenix....which shouldn't even count as a school) that would take me.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 pm

My point IS....

college doesn't guarantee anything.
You have to decide on something and just start SOMEWHERE
and always be on the lookout for something better.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 1:58 pm

I'm not even trying to get a good job though. Even Wal-Mart won't hire me. I've called that temp agency daily for almost 2 weeks and they've found me nothing.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Then you need to take Anything....or look either for a car to commute to where there is something or jobs in another city or state.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 2:35 pm

I can't get anything. I've applied everywhere but fast food. I thought I could at least get a job at Wal-Mart or Target but apparently not.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm

try a temp agency in a nearby town/city?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 01, 2008 3:10 pm

There's a temp agency in this town, they've done absolutely nothing for me. From what I can tell they're the only one within 30 miles of here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 4 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

catbox_9's job search
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next