DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

catbox_9's job search

Go down 
+7
SoulRat
gdennis59
kharmon
gs78
TG
laprimamirala
catbox_9
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 13, 2008 1:34 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Bump

I am going to apply as a food service technician at the Atascadero State Hospital. They currently have an open exam. Applications due 10/31 and the exam is 12/1. Qualification is either:
a) 6 months working in preparing food (I have 2 years)
or
b) Completion of the 8th grade (or equivalent) (I obviously have this)

The pay is:
FOOD SERVICE TECHNICIAN I - $2065 - $2507 PER MONTH
FOOD SERVICE TECHNICIAN II - $2215 - $2693 PER MONTH

Food Service Technician II requires 2 years experience which is right about what I have so I'll apply for both positions.

----------

On a side note I really love how they call cooks food service technicians :haha: Too bad it wasn't food service engineer Frown

You have a college degree

You should get this!

But watch out for Affirmative Action

They just might give it to a minority that tests lower, has less experience and only a high school education lol2

Good Luck Cat cross fingers
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 14, 2008 12:38 am

The only problem with this job is the exam is 12/1 so I imagine that, if hired, I wouldn't start until January. Still, it's easier to get a job when you have one than when you don't (or so it seems) so I'll take it if I can get it.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 am

True
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
The only problem with this job is the exam is 12/1 so I imagine that, if hired, I wouldn't start until January. Still, it's easier to get a job when you have one than when you don't (or so it seems) so I'll take it if I can get it.

Big Smile

See I told you SOMETHING would come up.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Oct 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Good Luck Cat!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Hey catbox, I found a job for you!

You'll be making more money/hour than my day, my mom and me combined!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 17, 2008 2:12 am

Ha ha! For $50 an hour I could do it. It's not that hot in Arizona as long as you have tons of water.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 am

I might have a shot at a job cross fingers

I have an interview/orientation/information session with a tutoring service (Grade Potential) tomorrow. They pay $12-20/hr. depending on experience. I think I'm qualified since it says no experience needed and they tutor K-12 mostly. Hopefully my degree will put me over the top. The only concern is it's in psychology and K-12 students don't need psychology tutoring.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 06, 2009 8:33 am

Lol. I need psychological help. Does that count?

Good Luck Cat. Hope you get this one!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 12:17 am

Well that was a waste of 4 hours and a waste of 60 miles worth of gas.

The "interview" portion of the information session only lasted about 90 seconds and the interviewer seemed very unimpressed based on statements like "all you have is a bachelor's degree form UCLA?" and "you don't have a teaching credential or any tutoring experience?"

He said about 25% of the people will be hired although glancing at other people's resumes I feel confident I won't be one of them. Most of them had master's degrees and up and/or teaching credentials and lots of tutoring/teaching experience.

I don't understand why someone that qualified would want a job that pays $15/hr. for an average of 5 hours a week where you have to drive to people's houses (up to 10 miles each way) and only spend an hour with them.

How am I supposed to get experience? You can tutor at a community college but they pay minimum wage and you only work a few hours a week. Why bother? I can make minimum wage at McDonalds and work real hours.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 9:11 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Bachelor's/ Masters degree, without doing all sorts of internships while in school, it is a worthless piece of paper. I had the same experience of companies saying why should I hire you with your BA/BS degree when I have all kinds of possible employees who worked at Tampa electric, or other major companies in college intern programs... It was the reason I went back and got a Masters degree. Then I got a job teaching undergrads while I worked on the masters! In this day and age, most companies want a Masters or lots of experience. I just wish they told me this WHILE I WAS AN UNDERGRAD. I would have signed up to intern at a major corp while going to school.

I later got hit with "you must have your Masters in computers, to teach Jr. College level classes in computers." I had TWO Bach. degrees in computers, that contained all the same classes that I would have had to take in the masters, but no... that was not good enough. The college and students said I was one of their best "Adjunct" teachers (part time, working full time, but getting 1/2 the pay of a full time) they had. But back to school, for another masters or PhD, if I wanted to continue teaching, or to get on full time. So I started my own computer company!

Did you get your Psych degree in Social Work? I found my Masters in Counseling required a "Social Work" designation. rant

I can do counseling as an employee of a church, or work in a county counseling agency, but I can not counsel "medicare/medicaid" clients, or work in a hospital. If I want to work in a hospital as a aid in the Psych ward, all you need is a Jr. college degree, but they want at least 1 year experience in a hospital environment.

It is such a Censored rat race. You never seem to have high enough degrees, or enough experience. That was why I thought of going back to school for a PhD and work as an undergrad instructor, at the same time, to cover the cost of classes and give me their teaching experience above the Jr. College level! Even though I had 2 years experience at the BA level while working on my Masters.

No wonder so many people end up working in an area not associated with their degree and at a lower pay rate. rant
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm sorry cat Frown If it makes you feel better, I'm unemployed too Hug
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Did you get your Psych degree in Social Work?

No, just regular psychology. That was dumb. I should have stuck with microbiology.

I guess I'll just stay unemployed. Eventually I'll be back in real school where I can get a less useless degree (M.D. cross fingers ) and encounter less difficulty finding a job.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Did you get your Psych degree in Social Work?

No, just regular psychology. That was dumb. I should have stuck with microbiology.

I guess I'll just stay unemployed. Eventually I'll be back in real school where I can get a less useless degree (M.D. cross fingers ) and encounter less difficulty finding a job.

I still say you should intern in sports

Stats Maybe?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Good luck Catbox

You will find something soon
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 6:53 pm

There's no teams locally and I go to school 5 days a week.

I get my associates degree this May Rolling Eyes

Not often do people get associates degrees after they get bachelor's degrees.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 6:54 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
There's no teams locally and I go to school 5 days a week.

I get my associates degree this May Rolling Eyes

Not often do people get associates degrees after they get bachelor's degrees.

Maybe when you get done with school :shrug:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 6:54 pm

gs78 wrote:
Good luck Catbox

There's a couple spots around town where you see guys with signs begging for money. They're there everyday so I'd imagine they're good spots. I should try and beat them at their own game. I'll just make a sign that reads "UCLA graduate looking for work or money"
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
Good luck Catbox

There's a couple spots around town where you see guys with signs begging for money. They're there everyday so I'd imagine they're good spots. I should try and beat them at their own game. I'll just make a sign that reads "UCLA graduate looking for work or money"

I once saw on 60 minutes how a guy in NYC pretended to be homeless and he claimed he made over 50,000 a year begging for money
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
Good luck Catbox

I once saw on 60 minutes how a guy in NYC pretended to be homeless and he claimed he made over 50,000 a year begging for money

Those bums make good money. I mean if they didn't would they really go to the same spot every single day? I doubt it.

My mom's boyfriend said he tried being a bum once in college for a day and made a bunch of money.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 7:07 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
Good luck Catbox

Those bums make good money. I mean if they didn't would they really go to the same spot every single day? I doubt it.

My mom's boyfriend said he tried being a bum once in college for a day and made a bunch of money.

They had an article couple years ago about that bum that chants Eat em Up Tigers outside Comerica Park

He claims he makes 200 bucks a game in coins and dollar bills
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
Good luck Catbox

They had an article couple years ago about that bum that chants Eat em Up Tigers outside Comerica Park

He claims he makes 200 bucks a game in coins and dollar bills

Damn! That's good money.

$200/game X 81 home games is $16,200 a year tax-free. If he has a real job to go with that, that's a nice chunk of extra money right there.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 pm

You should look into sports Psych coaching. It is an up and coming field where you work for sports teams doing their counseling. It is what I would love to do. Athletes are only as good as their mental outlook, we saw that last year with the Tigers! All that talent and they got beat by pressing too hard with a negative frame of mind! That leads to tension which leads to injuries and not using proper mechanics!

You would be good at that type of job catbox! You love and understand sports and have Psych education! There are colleges that have degrees in this field now.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 8:10 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
You should look into sports Psych coaching. It is an up and coming field where you work for sports teams doing their counseling. It is what I would love to do. Athletes are only as good as their mental outlook, we saw that last year with the Tigers! All that talent and they got beat by pressing too hard with a negative frame of mind! That leads to tension which leads to injuries and not using proper mechanics!

You would be good at that type of job catbox! You love and understand sports and have Psych education! There are colleges that have degrees in this field now.

The problem with this field is I would have to move. The only sports people here are high schoolers and below and counseling them wouldn't pay enough for me to get by. I'm still hoping to get into medical school at some point and be a psychiatrist - it's incredibly easy to get hired as a psychiatrist and they are needed wherever I want to live.

A sports-related job would be cool though. I wish we had a minor league team within 20 miles - they always need official scorers. I'm not going to drive 100 miles to Bakersfield/Fresno to do it though.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Well, It will work itself out Cat. If I was you, I would just be going out with friends whenever I could. Live it up! =]
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
Live it up! =]

That's what I'm doing. I will not, under any circumstances, work a job that does not require at least a high school diploma unless the pay is outrageously high (at least $50,000/yr.).
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Umm ok. I meant like go out and have some fun. Like, get drunk and party, thats always a nice choice.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 pm

That's what I've been doing....well I don't drink a ton, but I'm not suicidal over my lack of a job either.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 27, 2009 8:38 pm

I sort of have a job but it probably doesn't really count. I get $150 this week and $225 every week after that. Since it isn't a real job I don't pay any taxes. I'll work 5 days a week around 5 hours a day.

Basically I stop by someone's house before school and give them breakfast. On the way home from school I give them lunch, sit around, and then give them dinner.

Since it's my grandmother I'd say it's not really a job. A good grandson would do that for free, but I'm not a good grandson. Besides, I'm saving her tons of money. My mom is in charge of her finances (taking over for my crazy half "aunt") effective last week and fired the person who was doing it before. She was charging twice what I'm going to get. Someone else comes on weekends and charges $100 a day.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 27, 2009 9:18 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Since it isn't a real job I don't pay any taxes.

Technically, you have to claim that when you're filing your taxes. Just because you are getting cash instead of a paycheck doesn't mean you can avoid paying taxes.

Just like if you sell drugs, lemonade, or mow a lawn. You're suppose to claim it.

You even have to claim gambling winnings. If you chose to be a professional gambler, you can deduct expenses, like playing cards and such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 6 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

catbox_9's job search
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next