DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

catbox_9's job search

Go down 
+7
SoulRat
gdennis59
kharmon
gs78
TG
laprimamirala
catbox_9
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:35 am

SoulRat wrote:
Have some kids and be a stay at home mom like me Nod LMAO

How hard is it to adopt one? If you adopt one can you go on welfare? Does welfare pay well?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:37 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
job search... Suicide

Me, too!

I mean I realize I'll be back at school at some point and will eventually get a real job (hopefully), but living with my younger sister who barely got through high school (actually she did the last 3 years on independent study) and watching her come home with $50-100+ cash (tip money) ever day after her 4ish hours of work plus seeing her get a check every week makes me kind of jealous. Here I wasted my life trying to be a good student, went to one of the better universities in the country, got a degree, and will probably have to settle for minimum wage working with high schoolers, high school drop-outs, and illegal immigrants who can't speak a word of English.

I'm not sure I like this world where a bachelor's degree is less useful than a high school diploma was 50 years ago. There was a time when even with a high school diploma you could get a good job and you could get a great one with a bachelor's degree. Now those degrees get you minimum wage jobs.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 am

I applied at Hollywood Video. When it asked what position I was applying for all of the positions sounded fancy and I don't care enough about this possible job to go to the store and see which ones I'm qualified for. I went with shift leader. I don't really want this job and I probably won't get it anyways.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 8:37 am

UCLA probably doesn't have a placement office?
Have you thought about working there?
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 am

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
Have some kids and be a stay at home mom like me Nod LMAO

How hard is it to adopt one? If you adopt one can you go on welfare? Does welfare pay well?

Smack Head Slap
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 12:13 pm

UCLA should have a job placement service, all colleges I know of have them, and they are free to graduates!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 pm

I still say Catbox should get an internship with an MLB or even Minor League Baseball team

He could do stats or stuff!

I know Paso Robles may not be near any pro teams

But you could always commute until you could rent an apartment or a room somewhere
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Work for the Tigers! It would be a commute from here but we'll be glad to put you up if you want to live with a buncha cats and dogs! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 1:57 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Work for the Tigers! It would be a commute from here but we'll be glad to put you up if you want to live with a buncha cats and dogs! Big Smile

Catbox likes animals, too

Really he should do it!

He is young, single, no kids

Go for something like that

If it don't work; he has time to get something related to his degree of study
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:06 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
UCLA probably doesn't have a placement office?
Have you thought about working there?

I don't live in LA anymore so that won't work.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

gs78 wrote:
I still say Catbox should get an internship with an MLB or even Minor League Baseball team

But you could always commute until you could rent an apartment or a room somewhere

The nearest minor league team is either Bakersfield, Fresno, or San Jose. They're all about a 2 hour drive away. Minor league scorekeepers make like $20 a game with free parking.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

so what's the recap? how many jobs have you applied for?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:08 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
so what's the recap? how many jobs have you applied for?

First post has all that information. I can't remember the exact number at the moment.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

The nearest minor league team is either Bakersfield, Fresno, or San Jose. They're all about a 2 hour drive away. Minor league scorekeepers make like $20 a game with free parking.

That be a good way to get your foot in the door, though the pay isn't good. Wouldn't be a bad part time job, You could go to Grad School while being a scorekeeper

MLB Teams have internships; Maybe you could get a job working in the ticket office or something
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 3:47 pm

$20 wouldn't even come close to covering the gas it takes to drive 2 hours each way though. Even though I'd get my proverbial foot in the door as far as baseball jobs go it wouldn't get my foot in the door for a health-related job. Being able to keep score at baseball won't help you in hospitals.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 4:58 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
$20 wouldn't even come close to covering the gas it takes to drive 2 hours each way though. Even though I'd get my proverbial foot in the door as far as baseball jobs go it wouldn't get my foot in the door for a health-related job. Being able to keep score at baseball won't help you in hospitals.

Perhaps a health related job in MLB?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 7:50 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Perhaps a health related job in MLB?

Because there's so many :haha: I like where I live and there's no baseball teams near there. There's plenty of hospitals and such nearby, but no MLB teams. Besides, baseball season is about over and I need a job now.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Sep 17, 2008 12:20 am

catbox_9 wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:
job search... Suicide

Me, too!

I mean I realize I'll be back at school at some point and will eventually get a real job (hopefully), but living with my younger sister who barely got through high school (actually she did the last 3 years on independent study) and watching her come home with $50-100+ cash (tip money) ever day after her 4ish hours of work plus seeing her get a check every week makes me kind of jealous. Here I wasted my life trying to be a good student, went to one of the better universities in the country, got a degree, and will probably have to settle for minimum wage working with high schoolers, high school drop-outs, and illegal immigrants who can't speak a word of English.

I'm not sure I like this world where a bachelor's degree is less useful than a high school diploma was 50 years ago. There was a time when even with a high school diploma you could get a good job and you could get a great one with a bachelor's degree. Now those degrees get you minimum wage jobs.

Yep, the world has changed big-time that's for sure! I've applied for things other than teaching and I know I'm wasting my time with that as well, my app sits in a pile with 8 million others No But at least you're young, I thought I would have been working again wayyyyy before now. And don't feel too bad if something doesn't come up right away, the economy is soooo Censored right now. MI is a disaster, I think we're leading the way in being Censored , but I know it's hard to get jobs anywhere right now...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
, the economy is soooo Censored right now.

That's why when I'm totally finished with school I'll work in health care...no matter how bad the economy is people get sick. To play it extra safe I want to work at a prison - no matter how bad an economy is, people break the law (actually the worse the economy the more criminals). When I was younger I wanted to be an architect. That might be a tough job to find when the economy is bad - people don't have to have architects and what not.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Sep 17, 2008 2:01 am

catbox_9 wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:
, the economy is soooo Censored right now.

That's why when I'm totally finished with school I'll work in health care...no matter how bad the economy is people get sick. To play it extra safe I want to work at a prison - no matter how bad an economy is, people break the law (actually the worse the economy the more criminals). When I was younger I wanted to be an architect. That might be a tough job to find when the economy is bad - people don't have to have architects and what not.

But if you had been an architect; you could have helped design the prisons you would be working at.

lol!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 am

I mailed an application to be a teaching assistant at a prison today. That'll probably be the 10th job I don't get.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 am

catbox_9 wrote:
I mailed an application to be a teaching assistant at a prison today. That'll probably be the 10th job I don't get.

:haha:
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 1:39 am

Don't worry Catbox
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 1:59 am

Either tomorrow of Friday I'm going to head over to United Staffing and see if they can get me a job. They probably can't though as I'm barely qualified to work at McDonalds.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 am

With a college degree?
Head Slap Catbox, you could get most jobs that you wanted witha degree.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 2:38 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
With a college degree?

Not if said degree is in basket weaving.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Either tomorrow of Friday I'm going to head over to United Staffing and see if they can get me a job. They probably can't though as I'm barely qualified to work at McDonalds.

Good Luck Catbox

I know you have pointed out why my ideas won't work; Head Slap

Gas and Travel the main reasons and low pay!

But If you can't get a health related job in California

Which you will get! thumbs up

But if not!

If I were in your shoes; I would apply for an internship with an MLB or Minor League Club

Even if you had to work a second job in something crappy to afford the gas to travel or renting a room somewhere near your job

You are a young guy with a college degree with a strong interest in baseball.

Who knows?

You could be the next Dave D!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 4:34 pm

The main downside to baseball jobs right now are the fact the season is about to end, the low pay, and the fact I go to school 2 nights a week to prepare for when I go back to school full-time (which will be in a year or so).

Once I get more degrees, I can easily get a job in health care. There is still a chance (albeit small) that I'll get into medical school and be a psychiatrist. The prisons in CA are so desperate for shrinks it's not even funny. If you're licensed and not a felon they'll hire you instantly at about $25,000 a month (or if you don't want benefits you can be a contracted employee for $250/hr. although you'll have to pay $50/hr. of that to the contractor who got you the job).

If I do not become a psychiatrist (which I won't) I'll be either a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant (they're the same thing*...one would require 4 extra year's of school since my bachelor's degree isn't in nursing...the other one requires a bachelor's degree in anything which I already have) which is also very easy to get a job as since they're desperate for those as well.

*They aren't actually the same. A nurse practitioner is a nurse and a physician's assistant is not. They do the exact same thing and get paid the exact same amount (down to the cent) but not every place hires physician's assistants since they aren't nurses. Places that hire both (such as the prison near here) list the position as Nurse Practitioner/Physician's Assistant since they're essentially the same job.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 6:05 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
The main downside to baseball jobs right now are the fact the season is about to end, the low pay, and the fact I go to school 2 nights a week to prepare for when I go back to school full-time (which will be in a year or so).

Once I get more degrees, I can easily get a job in health care. There is still a chance (albeit small) that I'll get into medical school and be a psychiatrist. The prisons in CA are so desperate for shrinks it's not even funny. If you're licensed and not a felon they'll hire you instantly at about $25,000 a month (or if you don't want benefits you can be a contracted employee for $250/hr. although you'll have to pay $50/hr. of that to the contractor who got you the job).

If I do not become a psychiatrist (which I won't) I'll be either a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant (they're the same thing*...one would require 4 extra year's of school since my bachelor's degree isn't in nursing...the other one requires a bachelor's degree in anything which I already have) which is also very easy to get a job as since they're desperate for those as well. thumbs up

*They aren't actually the same. A nurse practitioner is a nurse and a physician's assistant is not. They do the exact same thing and get paid the exact same amount (down to the cent) but not every place hires physician's assistants since they aren't nurses. Places that hire both (such as the prison near here) list the position as Nurse Practitioner/Physician's Assistant since they're essentially the same job.
scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 18, 2008 11:54 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:
With a college degree?

Not if said degree is in basket weaving.

Will you please stop calling it that?!
It's psychology, I mean you know that...
But I don't think that he realized you are looking for a somewhat temporary job and are going to go back to school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: catbox_9's job search   catbox_9's job search - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

catbox_9's job search
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next