DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Jason Botts career tracker

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 11, 2008 12:51 am

FIRE WASHINGTON!

Botts is removed from the game after going 0-2 with a walk. He only has 4 PA all season rant rant

Fire Ron Washington Fan Club Member No. 12342
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 am

BOTTS UPDATE:

Ron Washington STILL sucks!

Botts got a start today and went 2-4 with a HOME RUN, THREE RBIs, and a double. Washington took him out of the game eventually though because he's a Censored moron.

GO BOTTS!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Jason Botts has been DFA'd
2:47 PM Tue, Apr 29, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

The Rangers this afternoon, perhaps momentarily, will announce that Jason Botts has been designated for assignment and that Chris Shelton's contract will be purchased. The club is desperate for another productive right-handed bat in the lineup and Botts simply hasn't taken advantage of whatever limited opportunities he's been given. He is hitting .158 in 38 at-bats. The move will give the Rangers 10 days to trade, release or outright Botts to Triple-A. If he clears waivers, the Rangers absolutely want to keep him in the system, but with the season hanging on the edge of a cliff, the Rangers need somebody with a little bit of a track record of big league success against left-handers. Shelton will see time in the first-base rotation, certainly against left-handers, but it won't surprise me if he gets some time against right-handers, too.

Brandon Boggs is expected to be called up to replace Hank Blalock, but to get Shelton on the roster, the Rangers had to take somebody off the 40-man roster. It appears, Botts is the guy. His career with the Rangers, which began in 2000 as a 46th round draft choice, is now more in limbo than ever before.

UPDATE: The Rangers just made all of these moves official at 3:15 this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 29, 2008 7:09 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course he isn't hitting - he's only had 38 at bats rant

Fire Ron Washington!

Tigers could sign him to take Sheffield's spot. He can't be worse whistle
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 am

Botts can't wait to move on
By JEFF WILSON
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ARLINGTON -- The ending Jason Botts expected to receive in spring training unfolded a month later when the Texas Rangers designated him for assignment Tuesday.

Botts was part of a weak-hitting tandem at first base that entered Tuesday's game with a combined average of .168 (19-for-113). Botts was hitting .158 (6-for-38) with two homers and 18 strikeouts.

Chris Shelton took his spot on the 40-man roster Tuesday. He got the start at first base against Kansas City and was 0-for-5.

If the Rangers can't trade Botts or if another club doesn't claim him in 10 days, he will report to Triple A Oklahoma. Botts, though, sounded as though he wanted to start over with another organization.

"I've been here for an extremely long time, and I deserve a fresh start somewhere else," Botts said. "It's not the most negative thing. It's more of an unknown thing. Where am I going to be in 10 days?"

Botts was drafted by the Rangers in the 46th round of the 1999 draft. He made his major league debut in 2005 after hitting 31 home runs for Oklahoma.

He was hitting .320 there last season when he was recalled for the third consecutive year. Botts, though, could never solve major league pitching, and he leaves the Rangers with a .230 average in 282 at-bats, five homers and 108 strikeouts.

Ben Broussard, Botts' partner at first, is doing only marginally better with a .173 average (13-for-75) in his first season with the Rangers. But general manager Jon Daniels said Broussard has a better track record than Botts.

Outfielder John Mayberry took Shelton's spot on the Oklahoma roster. Shelton was hitting .354 with three homers for the RedHawks, and Rangers manager Ron Washington said Shelton is a proven major league hitter who is likely to see most of the playing time at first base.

As for Botts, he expects big things down the road.

"There have been plenty of examples of people leaving Texas Rangers who go on to really great things," he said. "There's a great probability that something huge is in my future. It's kind of an exciting moment."
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 11:00 am

Botts is going to hit .350 somewhere else whistle
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Go Botts.
By Jamey Newberg May 1, 2008
Mike Lamb was an accomplished minor league hitter, a doubles machine with a career line of .310/.372/.495 on the farm. He broke into the big leagues at age 24, the first of four straight seasons that he would split between Texas and Oklahoma.

The third of those seasons was 2003, the first full year of Hank Blalock's big league career and of Buck Showalter's tenure as Rangers manager. After averaging more than 360 big league at-bats in 2000, 2001, and 2002, Lamb got only 38 at-bats with Texas in 2003, when he spent the majority of the year in AAA on his final option. In those 38 at-bats, he hit a punchless .132/.190/.132.

With Blalock entrenched at third base, Mark Teixeira at first, Herbert Perry under contract, and Adrian Gonzalez getting close, Lamb's fate was virtually sealed following the 2003 season. About two weeks before pitchers and catchers were to report in 2004, the Rangers designated the 28-year-old Lamb for assignment so that they could put righthander Carlos Almanzar on the 40-man roster to prevent him from taking an offer to pitch in Japan.

Seven days later, Texas traded Lamb to the Yankees for minor league righthander Jose Garcia. Lamb didn't even finish spring training with New York, which traded him late in March to Houston for an equally forgettable minor leaguer named Juan DeLeon.

It was at that point that Lamb carved out a meaningful major league career, averaging 12 home runs in just 323 at-bats annually over four years with the Astros. He's not Wade Boggs, but he's now in his ninth season as a major league ballplayer and has been a factor in the post-season (slugging .675 in 40 at-bats).

Jason Botts probably won't be Travis Hafner -- but then again Hafner wasn't supposed to do what he has done, either -- but he doesn't need to be. If he's Lee Stevens or Jack Cust, that's fine. Maybe he's even Lamb, a selective, professional hitter who hasn't nailed down a defensive position and who hasn't slugged at the big league level the way he looked like he might as he was coming up, but who could contribute for a long time.

What I don't understand is why the 38 at-bats Botts got in April were considered conclusive. Yes, he has had 282 big league at-bats and hasn't been productive enough with them (.230/.325/.344), but that half-season equivalent has been spread out over four years, with the at-bats coming in fits and starts. It stands to reason that a hitter whose game is built on the handling of the strike zone probably depends on rhythm and consistent work more so than a see-it, rake-it type would.

Has Botts been too selective, letting too many strikes go by? Unquestionably. But why commit to giving him regular work for just two weeks and then decide the audition isn't worth continuing? That aspect of this move resembles Lamb less than it does Doug Davis, who was designated for assignment at age 27 (to make room for bullpen lefty Erasmo Ramirez) after one ineffective emergency start in April 2003 -- with the team four games under .500, five games out, and in last place -- that had followed four years of ups and downs with Texas (along with very good results in Oklahoma). In each of the four seasons after Texas dumped Davis, he has won in double digits, on teams that had only one winning record in those four years.

Given where this team stands (the Rangers have the worst record in the league), I don't get the deference to Ben Broussard (.173/.244/.293, zero RBI's since the season-opening road trip, subpar defense at first base), especially since he's almost certain to be somewhere else next season. There's a point to figuring out what you might have in Botts, whether or not the club has decided it knows that answer. Is there a point to seeing whether Broussard can break out of this slump that started in Surprise and hasn't let up? (Seattle decided yesterday that it no longer needed Brad Wilkerson and his guaranteed $3 million around.) With Chris Shelton up in conjunction with the Botts move, Broussard hasn't played. Why keep him?

Going with Sidney Ponson rather than Doug Mathis at this point is more understandable, because it doesn't cost you Mathis.

I get the .158/.304/.395 Botts line. I get that it's not a good set of numbers and that there might be issues with mechanics or approach or something else which might be as convincing to a seasoned scout as they are lost on most people who aren't seasoned scouts. Maybe baseball people think that Botts not only won't be Hafner but won't be or Cust, either, or Stevens, or Lamb.

The reason, I think, that the fan reaction to the removal of Botts from the roster has been more vocal than it was four years ago with Lamb is that Botts physically looks so much like what an impact, damage-creating, offensive monster is supposed to look like. (Lamb, on the other hand, some say, has the misfortune of looking like me.) I think what I'd always hoped the switch-hitting Botts could eventually provide was what the Stevens/Mike Simms duo gave Texas in 1998: a combined line of .275/.345/.547 in 530 at-bats, with 36 home runs and 105 RBI. But even when it started to look like Botts projected to be something else, I was optimistic. Partly because I wanted to be.

As diehard fans of a baseball franchise we want the products of our own system to make it. Familiarity is a factor, as is the payroll containment that the influx of young players permits, but there's more to it. Seeing the players that your team signed as amateurs get to the big leagues and establish themselves is *evidence.* It's evidence that your team is skillful at developing major league baseball players, and the more, the better. Nothing provides more confidence to a fan, especially of a team in a building phase, than seeing that its scouts and coaches can find a 17th-rounder like Ian Kinsler and make him what he is today, or a Day Two draft-and-follow like Hafner or Botts or A.J. Murray or Zach Phillips or Derek Holland.

I'm a fan of Botts as a person. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not objective about him (and I've said that in writing many times), and that if he'd had 2,820 major league at-bats rather than 282, I'd still hold out hope that he was just another week or two away from really locking in and doing to big league pitchers what he's done to AAA pitchers (.302/.401/.541 over three seasons). I'm biased.

I don't know what league perception is of Botts, but I'm not pulling for him to clear waivers. Why? Because even if he did clear and the Rangers outrighted him to Oklahoma, he'd certainly be behind the unconscious Nelson Cruz in line to get another shot in Texas, even if he were to rake like he always does in AAA. Plus, Chris Davis could be a RedHawk before long.

The reality is that management here -- right or wrong -- doesn't think Botts fits or that he will, and so it seems unlikely that he'd command a return spot on the 40-man roster later this season or immediately after it, and if he's not on the roster in mid-October he'll be able to leave the organization as a six-year minor league free agent (and, given the circumstances, he'd obviously do exactly that). I'd like to see Botts traded or claimed on waivers, landing with a new team intent on giving him a fresh start. (That can be short-lived, of course -- Tampa Bay, for instance, claimed first baseman Dan Johnson on waivers on April 18 after Oakland designated him for assignment, and the Rays then designated him for assignment just five days later.)

I don't pretend that I see things that scouts don't see. I don't pretend that I see things that scouts *do* see. Maybe the Botts swing is irreparably long and maybe his patience at the plate has become so pronounced that it's a flaw rather than an asset. But I've never been objective about that player and can't start to be now.

I believe in the people who make personnel decisions for my team, and I always count on the decisions they make to be the right ones -- even if at times I don't understand them. But at the same time, there are a handful of other teams' players that I pull for who got their starts in this organization, this organization that was smart enough to draft them and skilled enough to develop them, and Jason Botts goes right to the top of that list. It makes me no less of a fiercely loyal Rangers fan to hope that wherever Botts lands, something will click and he'll become the player that I'd always imagined he'd become here.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 4:09 pm

Botts is still available. SOMEONE sign him! You're missing out big time!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 1:28 pm

BIG TIME!

Poor Bottsey.

I feel bad for him.

rant RON WASHINGTON
Although, it's not completely his doing.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Jun 05, 2008 10:55 am

NEWSFLASH: Jason Botts Sold To Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters?

The nine-year odyssey has apparently come to an end.

MLBTradeRumors.com, quoting Japanese entertainment news website Sanspo.com, reports that the contract of Triple-A Oklahoma first baseman/outfielder Jason Botts has been sold to the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters of Japan’s Pacific League.

The transaction has been independently confirmed by Jeff Brown of the Newberg Report forums, meaning that while no official sources within the organization have verified the accuracy of this report, I feel confident that it is indeed correct.

Botts, 27, hit .242/.342/.515 with four home runs in 66 AB for the RedHawks in 2008. A 46th-round selection in the 1999 MLB Draft, Jason became one of the most polarizing Rangers in recent memory after crushing Texas League and Pacific Coast League pitching during an impressive rise through the minor league ranks that began in 2004.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, meanwhile, is reporting that left-hander Matt Harrison has been promoted to Oklahoma. Acquired in last July’s blockbuster Mark Teixeira trade, the 22-year-old southpaw posted a 3.33 ERA and 1.37 WHIP in 46 innings with the Double-A Frisco RoughRiders. Harrison tossed a seven-inning no-hitter on May 18th.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Jun 05, 2008 11:17 am

[12:25 AM Update: According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, general manager Jon Daniels has confirmed that the Rangers are finalizing the details of a deal to sell the contract of Jason Botts to the Fighters. Best of luck to Jason and his family.]
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Why did I just notice this?!

Does anyone read Japanese? I found the Fighters website but can't find his stats. Japanese isn't exactly my specialty...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Aug 31, 2008 6:26 pm

Shocked

What the?!

That's a little nuts.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Dec 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Update:
twitter wrote:

Switch-hitting 1B/OF Jason Botts will get a Major League Spring Training invite from the White Sox. Last played for Texas and in Japan
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Update:
twitter wrote:

Switch-hitting 1B/OF Jason Botts will get a Major League Spring Training invite from the White Sox. Last played for Texas and in Japan

cross fingers
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 pm

01/14/10
Chicago White Sox signed free agent LF Jason Botts.

03/17/10
Chicago White Sox released LF Jason Botts.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jason Botts career tracker   Jason Botts career tracker - Page 2 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Jason Botts career tracker
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2