DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

My dad died

Go down 
+4
gdennis59
bobrob2004
TG
catbox_9
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

My dad died - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dad died   My dad died - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Teachable Moment: Have a will, no matter how old you are.

What's funny (or not-so-funny) is he was supposed to get one this weekend when he went up to Sacramento (he was supposed to see a concert last night). His brother was supposed to write it for him.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: My dad died   My dad died - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
There are a lot of collectors out there who would go crazy over buying the train stuff. You have a gold mine there, depending on the models he had.

One suggestion, from my own experience, is to keep the stuff he named after you and your sisters. Also you may want to keep a train set. My uncle gave me his antique train, when I was in my early teens. Like a fool, I sold it after about 5 years, now I am mad because it meant so much to him, and I don't have it now when I would appreciate it!

I would have a train collection expert give you an appraisal on the trains, so you are not ripped off if you sell them.

Oh I know there's good stuff there. Not sure I want to sell any of it since he worked so hard on it. Maybe in time I could get rid of trains and what not since he didn't put much effort into the cars - you just pretty much buy those. All the buildings he put together and added all kinds of detail though.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: My dad died   My dad died - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Need opinions on two things....

1. Went to a bunch of stores all day with an aunt. Didn't buy anything but it got me out of the house all day. I felt sort of like that was inappropriate. Everyone else in my family is doing things, I'm the only one that hasn't done much of anything since Wednesday, but I'm not sure if it's right to be doing things like that. I wouldn't say I had an enjoyable day or anything, but it could have been worse.

2. My sister and I were each supposed to pick out a song for the funeral. I didn't want to buy a song accidentally slipped out of my mouth and now my sister is adamant that we have to play the song ("Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd). While the song is a somewhat popular choice, I'm concerned about playing a classic rock song at a funeral especially with his family there. While his family isn't the least bit religious 99.9% of the time, when it comes to funerals and weddings they suddenly become super strict Catholics. They're already furious we're having my dad cremated rather than buried (my dad was very adamant about wanting to be cremated - he abhorred burials and stuff since they're so expensive and nobody ever visits the grave anyways) and I think playing Pink Floyd at the funeral might make them pretty angry, too. We aren't even having a priest at the funeral (which is good, because if a priest was there my dad would find a way to leave). For those not familiar with the song...