DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins Empty
PostSubject: Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins   Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins Icon_minipostedWed Feb 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ex-Tiger Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins

Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. -- Former Detroit Tigers star prospect Cameron Maybin was with the Class-A Asheville Tourists when he began to catch the eye of major league talent hunters.

At the time, he was a 12-year-old batboy.

Mike Hill was farm director for the Colorado Rockies, the Tourists' parent club. He remembers young Maybin shagging flies and taking batting practice with the team when he wasn't fetching bats.

"Even back then, you saw the makings of a pretty special player," Hill said. "Cameron was a big kid, probably 6-foot or 6-1. You watched him run around the field and said, 'That's a guy I'm putting on my list for a few years down the line.'"

Nine years later, Hill is the Florida Marlins' general manager and Maybin is creating a buzz in their spring training camp.

Maybin was acquired in December in the blockbuster trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers. Hill said the deal probably would have fallen through had the Tigers refused to part with Maybin.

Unless he has a bad spring, he'll likely be the starting center fielder on Opening Day, a few days before he turns 21.

"We're in no rush," Hill said. "If he's not ready, we'll wait until he is ready. He'll dictate to us.

"We do know he's extremely talented. He's a five-tool player. And on top of that, he's just a great kid."

Maybin, who was called up to the Tigers in August, is optimistic that he's ready to stay in the majors, despite batting only .143 with 21 strikeouts in 49 at-bats for Detroit.

He was undaunted by his struggles.

"I feel like I'm definitely ready to take on the big-league challenge and big-league grind and playing every day at the big-league level," Maybin said. "I'm confident in my ability."

A lanky 6-foot-4, Maybin is all arms and legs sprinting around the bases.

"He doesn't run. He glides," said teammate Luis Gonzalez, himself a former Tiger. "He's impressive to watch."

The 40-year-old Gonzalez said he's willing to serve as a mentor this season, but he's not sure Maybin needs much help.

"What do you tell a kid like that?" Gonzalez said. "Everything looks so natural."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins   Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins Icon_minipostedWed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 pm

he's gotta work on that chicken arm!
Back to top Go down

Maybin makes quick impression with Marlins
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Florida / Miami Marlins-
Jump to: