DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08

Go down 
+2
SoulRat
GoGetEmTigers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Empty
PostSubject: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 25, 2008 1:42 am

Monday, March 24, 2008
Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors
Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. -- Cameron Maybin will start the season in the minors for the Florida Marlins.

One of baseball's top prospects and a centerpiece of the trade that sent Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera to Detroit in December, the 20-year-old Maybin was optioned to Double-A Carolina on Monday after going 0-for-5 during Florida's 10-10 tie with the Houston Astros in 10 innings.

Maybin went hitless in his final 18 at-bats, finishing the spring with a .190 batting average, three homers and eight RBIs.

"We still see him as the center fielder of the future. It's not going to be opening day," general manager Larry Beinfest said. "He needs to get some additional at-bats in the minor leagues, then hopefully he'll be our center fielder for a long time."

The Marlins haven't picked a starting center fielder, but it will come down to Alejandro De Aza or Cody Ross.

"I felt like they gave me a legit opportunity and I think up until the last week I might have hurt myself when I got into a little funk," said Maybin, the 10th overall selection in the 2005 amateur draft. "It's another step I have to take."

Maybin struck out swinging with the potential winning run at second in the bottom of the ninth. The Marlins rallied for two runs in the inning after being down 7-3 earlier in the game. Right-handed starter Chris Volstad was hit hard for the first time this spring.

Volstad, a first-round pick in the 2005 draft, entered 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA while bidding for a spot in the rotation. He gave up five straight hits, including three doubles, in the first inning Monday. He allowed seven runs in two innings.

Volstad is considered a long shot to win a spot, but manager Fredi Gonzalez said his rough outing won't hurt his chances.

"Everybody's allowed to have one of those games," Gonzalez said. "He has pitched too well for you to put all your eggs in one basket and make your decision on two innings."

Houston's Shawn Chacon endured a windy afternoon and allowed four earned runs in five innings.

"I was ahead of the hitters. I threw strikes. They didn't hit me hard. A bunch of bloopers," said Chacon, Houston's fourth starter. "It was one of those days where the wind was messing with the ball. More often than not I'm going to come out of there without giving up that many runs."

Geoff Blum started at shortstop and went 2-for-2 with a double and three RBIs. He fouled a pitch off his left heal in the first inning, aggravating a previous injury. He left the game after the second inning but didn't consider the setback serious.

"It's been nagging me for about a week now. I just kind of re-aggravated it. If I had to I could have played through it," Blum said.

For the Marlins, catcher Matt Treanor (left calf cramp) returned to action for the first time since March 13. He went 1-for-3 and caught eight innings.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 25, 2008 9:14 am

Boo, and he started out so well Frown Everyone knew that darn Cody Ross would get the starting position but, as sporting news pointed out, don't feel too sorry for him, he's turning 21 next month :haha:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 am

geez...and we had him when he was only 19!
Much time in the minors to you, grasshopper!
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I felt bad for Camron, but he is still very young and has a long career ahead of him.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 am

Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 26, 2008 5:37 am

I mean, to even play a MLB game when you're still a teenager...WOW! he has so much to look forward to!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 26, 2008 6:19 am

He needs more time. We will get him back when he's ready for the big leagues. :lol:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am

wish I could be in the big leagues! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Maybin patiently waiting turn in Minors - 4/4/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 2:30 am

04/04/2008 4:12 PM ET
Maybin patiently waiting turn in Minors
Marlins want outfield prospect to further own development
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Cameron Maybin is celebrating his 21st birthday on Friday as a member of the Double-A Carolina Mudcats.

Still regarded as the Marlins' center fielder of the future, Maybin made his Mudcats debut in the Southern League opener on Thursday. Batting third in the lineup, he went 1-for-4 with a home run in a 3-1 win over Mobile.

The sky remains the limit for the 6-foot-4, 205-pounder from Asheville, N.C. The Marlins still plan on being patient with his development, as well.

In that regard, nothing has changed from when he was optioned to Carolina late in Spring Training. Even though the Marlins have had injuries to outfielders, the team isn't planning on quickly calling up Maybin until it feels the promising prospect is ready.

The Marlins opened the season with center fielder Alejandro De Aza and right fielder Jeremy Hermida on the disabled list.

Cody Ross, who was hampered by a bone bruise to his left knee late in Spring Training, is going to get the bulk of the playing time in center field. But Ross right now is platooning in center with switch-hitting Alfredo Amezaga. Before De Aza went down, and he will miss four to six weeks, he was slated to split time in center field with Ross.

If more injuries occur, or if the team feels it needs additional help in center field, Maybin isn't factoring into the equation as an alternative at this point. That may change in a month or two, once he gets more at-bats.

After Thursday night, he has a total of 24 at-bats at the Double-A level. A year ago, when he was with Detroit, he compiled 49 at-bats with the Tigers after being called up.

The Marlins obtained Maybin from the Tigers last December in the trade that sent Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera to Detroit.

Exactly how long Maybin stays in the Minor Leagues will be determined more by his progress than a need factor on the part of the Marlins.

Now in the case of Double-A right-hander, Burke Badenhop, the team is looking at him differently. Badenhop, who is 25, was the winning pitcher on Thursday night for Carolina. In 6 1/3 innings, he gave up one unearned run on six hits, with three strikeouts and no walks.

If the Marlins' starting pitching scuffles, Badenhop could be promoted quickly to the big league club.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 2:46 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

MIAMI -- Cameron Maybin is celebrating his 21st birthday on Friday as a member of the Double-A Carolina Mudcats.

Lucky Censored I don't celebrate mine until two weeks from Monday.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 6:48 am

That kid has moved around more teams that any player I know!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08   Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Marlins send Cameron Maybin to minors - 03/24/08
Page 1 of 1