DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

I got a flu shot (and lived!)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

I got a flu shot (and lived!) Empty
PostSubject: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedThu Oct 01, 2009 8:01 pm

For those that pay attention, I'm terrible with needles. Since I'm now working in a health care facility I figured it would be a good idea to get a flu shot (I've never had one before). I got one today and unlike previous experiences, there was no vomiting and no fainting. Actually, I didn't even believe the guy did anything because I didn't feel anything at all. I got home and checked my shoulder and sure enough there was a puncture wound a little blood. For reasons I don't need to get into here everyone I know that works out there can't stand the nurse practitioner that gave me my shot, but I guess he's okay in my book.

Now I just need the H1N1 vaccine when it comes out and I'll probably get a tetanus booster since it now has stuff for whooping cough in it. All shots are free at the occupational health clinic at the hospital so if it doesn't cost me anything I might as well get all kinds of shots.

I'm starting to wonder if my needle phobia is cured. My last 2 blood draws weren't that bad and the 3 TB tests I've had recently were a piece of cake. I haven't had a bad experience with a needle in probably close to 10 years now.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedFri Oct 02, 2009 5:32 pm

clap clap

I also have a needle phobia...or used to. I haven't received a shot in nearly 10 years. I'm not really planning on getting one any time soon either.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedFri Oct 02, 2009 11:59 pm

You sound like me. My previous shot was for meningitis when I turned 18. My mom was worried that I'd catch it in college Rolling Eyes While meningitis most certainly isn't fun (and is often deadly) it is also rather rare. Besides, the shot only protects against most forms of bacterial meningitis, there are other ways to get meningitis.

I'm not opposed to shots though. I think they're great. I hate them but I have always been a big believer in getting every form of shot there is (unless it was the flu which required a new one annually). Studies show vaccines work and the morons that think they cause autism are indeed morons.

My needle phobia is mostly gone now (I think)...key word mostly. I would be terrified if I needed an arterial blood gas test or lumbar puncture performed. Luckily for me those are not common procedures and many people go their whole lives without every having them done (especially the lumbar puncture).
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedWed Oct 07, 2009 9:48 pm

I would not get the H1N1 shot. It's too new and I don't really think I could trust it not knowing what the effects will be...

My sister and my friend have both had the swine flu, neither have had the shot. My friend, Kyle, got it about a week ago and still feels horrible. I feel so bad for him Frown

But anyway, Good job getting your shot Ryan!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedFri Oct 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Seasonal flu shots don't have any more testing than the H1N1 vaccine will have. The seasonal flu shot changes every year.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedWed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm

UPDATE: I got my H1N1 shot today. I felt the needle this time but just barely. The injection site was distal to the previous one and more lateral so that's probably why I felt it. It didn't hurt and I didn't pass out so I can't really complain.

Some people worry that it isn't safe, but that's stupid. It's made the same way the seasonal flu shot gets made, and they both have just 6 months from start to finish.

Back in 1976, 48 million people were vaccinated for the H1N1 flu and 25 people died of Guillain-Barré syndrome which may or may not have been caused by the vaccine. Treatment has improved immensely since then and Guillain-Barré syndrome is almost always curable if treated early - it's generally caught early because when people's lower extremities start to get paralyzed for no apparent reason they tend to seek treatment.

In 1918 the Spanish Flu (caused by an H1N1 flu) killed 50-100 million people (there was no vaccine) and infected 500 million people (1/3 of the world's population at the time).

I'll take my chances with a shot.

There's nutjobs out there opposed to all shots and won't vaccinate their children at all. They think shots cause autism (despite the fact there's no proof whatsoever of this). When their kids die of things like the measles they still think they made the right call CRAZY
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedTue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 am

MORE SHOT NEWS:

Got my TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis [whooping cough]) vaccine today. Arm is a little sore right now. Supposedly it'll be pretty sore tomorrow. We'll see.

Shot wasn't too bad. I don't think I'm afraid of shots or TB tests anymore. Not sure about venipunctures. Still afraid of arterial blood gas tests though.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedTue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Good for you cat. I used to be afraid of shots, then again I had to get penicillin shots in my butt when I was little, several times every year due to tonsillitis, and they were the old fashioned BIG needles that hurt like hell!

Then at age 6 to 12 I had to get 2 allergy shots every other week so yea, I had a reason for hating them. Now I dislike them, but have no problem.

I have learned NOT TO GET the regular flu shots. Every year I got them, I was sick all winter with flu that reoccurred and ended up sick all winter. Ever since my doctor recommended that I try not getting the shot, I have been fine. This is only for people who have bad reaction to both live and killed strain flu shots.

I do recommend the other shots. I will get the H1N1 shot, IF IT IS EVER AVAILABLE in my area. They have told us it may be several months yet before it gets to our area of Ohio!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedWed Oct 28, 2009 10:30 am

I got a flu shot in 1997 and got a terrible case of the flu 2 weeks later. I had just started a job at a CA hospital and was petrified I would get fired.
I've only gotten 1 flu shot since then, still because I was an admitting clerk at a hospital. I don't have much public contact any more, but will still get it when it becomes available.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedWed Oct 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I got a shot today. It really wasn't that bad. It was just the fact that I am already sore from weight training and then I get a shot right where it hurt. Oh well. It wasn't bad Smile
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedThu Oct 29, 2009 1:54 am

TG wrote:
I got a shot today. It really wasn't that bad. It was just the fact that I am already sore from weight training and then I get a shot right where it hurt. Oh well. It wasn't bad Smile

Which shot? Rabies? Yellow fever?

(I'm guessing one of the flu shots)

------------

UPDATE:
My tetanus shot didn't cause any arm soreness the next couple days Crying or Very sad Even the CDC says 4/5 people report arm pain the next few days. My mom and sister both love shots and even they said it hurt a bunch the next few days and their arms swelled up big time. I was almost looking forward to complaining about it. I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones Sad
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedThu Oct 29, 2009 7:37 am

catbox_9 wrote:
TG wrote:

:

Nope. The third gardasil or whatever it is. I didn't get the 2nd one, but I got the 1st, so they just skipped the 2nd and gave me the 3rd? I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_minipostedThu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm

TG wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
TG wrote:

:

Nope. The third gardasil or whatever it is. I didn't get the 2nd one, but I got the 1st, so they just skipped the 2nd and gave me the 3rd? I don't get it.

You still need a 3rd. All 3 shots are the same thing, they just give you 3 to make sure you get immunity.

Guardasil is a good shot to get. It's a shame people are putting so much effort into saying it's evil. Don't answer this, but in all honesty, did getting a Guardasil vaccine make you want to run out and have sex with the first person you saw?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got a flu shot (and lived!)   I got a flu shot (and lived!) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

I got a flu shot (and lived!)
Page 1 of 1