DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Maroth Released by Cardinals

Go down 
+3
catbox_9
mrsrabelo
bobrob2004
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 28, 2007 2:25 am

Bring Back Maroth
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 28, 2007 2:26 am

We may need him next season
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 28, 2007 2:26 am

Sign him to a minor league contract!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Royals ink Maroth to Minors contract
Former Tigers lefty hopes to make squad out of Spring Training
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Left-hander Mike Maroth, an old rival, was signed on Friday by the Royals.

Maroth, a free agent, was signed to a one-year Minor League contract and invited to Major League Spring Training as a non-roster player.

He could figure in the search for a fourth and fifth starter in the rotation.

Maroth played for most of six years with the Detroit Tigers and was traded last June 22 to the St. Louis Cardinals.

In 161 big league games -- 150 of them starts -- he has a 50-67 record and a 5.05 ERA. Ten of his victories, the most over any other club, have come against the Royals. Kansas City dealt him eight defeats.

"Mike has been a guy who has pitched a lot of innings when he's healthy and he knows the league," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said.

"He'll be competing for a spot on our pitching staff and he will give us some depth."

Maroth arrives at a time when Jorge De La Rosa and John Bale are the top candidates to give the rotation a left-handed starter.

Last season, Maroth was 5-2 in 13 games for the Tigers when he was traded to the Cardinals, who were desperate for a starting pitcher. The Cardinals gave up pitcher Chris Lambert, a former first-round Draft choice.

At the time, the Tigers were deep in left-handed pitchers with Kenny Rogers ready to resume pitching.

Maroth had an impressive first start for the Cardinals against the New York Mets but then had problems. Eventually, he was sent to the bullpen and spent time on the disabled list with elbow injuries.

In 14 games (seven starts) for the Cardinals, he was 0-5 with a 10.66 ERA. He gave up 11 home runs with 23 strikeouts and 17 walks in 38 innings. He was released on Oct. 25.

Moore said that if Maroth does not make the Royals' Major League roster, he'll go to Triple-A Omaha. His signing brings the Royals' camp roster to 61 players, including 31 pitchers.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 pm

SURPRISE!

LMAO
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 13, 2008 3:05 pm

lol2
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Ex-Tiger Mike Maroth tries to earn rotation slot with Royals, talks about his exit from Detroit

February 13, 2008

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

SURPRISE, Ariz. — Mike Maroth, who won 25 games for the Detroit Tigers in 2004-05, showed up at the Kansas City Royals training camp Tuesday knowing the team is looking for a left-handed starter.

“That’s why I’m here,” said Maroth, who signed a minor league contract with the Royals on Friday with an invitation to spring training. “It’s a great opportunity.”

Right-handers Gil Meche, Brian Bannister and Zack Greinke hold the first three rotation slots.

“It would be nice to have a left-handed starter, but that is not the end all,” said Kansas City manager Trey Hillman said. “I’d love to have three lefties in the rotation. Maroth is still young and has got a lot of experience.”

Maroth, 30, has pitched six years in the majors, most of them with the Tigers. After winning 14 games for Detroit in 2005, he began the next season with a 5-2 record and a 2.45 earned run average. In a May 25, 2006, start at Kansas City, Maroth gave up six runs on six hits, including three home runs, in a third of an inning and left with a sore left elbow. After undergoing elbow surgery to remove bone chips, he was out until September 2006.

He began last season with a 5-2 record, but then the Tigers traded him to the St. Louis Cardinals on June 22, after Kenny Rogers came off the disabled list.

“You could see something had to be done. Obviously, there were different scenarios, but we had a surplus of starting pitchers,” Maroth said.

It was after he went to the Cardinals that he noticed something was different. In his first start, he held the Mets to one run and two hits in 7 1-3 innings. After that, his performance deteriorated.

“You could clearly see I wasn’t the same pitcher I had been in the past. Then I ended up getting tendinitis in my forearm,” he said.

St. Louis put him in the bullpen in August. Maroth finished 0-5 with a 10.66 ERA in 14 games, seven of them starts.

After he arrived at the Royals’ training camp Tuesday, it didn’t take long for pitching coach Bob McClure to find a flaw in Maroth’s delivery.

“I threw my first side today and Mac pointed out something,” Maroth said. “I threw three pitches and he stopped me. It had to do with the way I was landing on my front foot. I made an adjustment. I could feel a difference after a few pitches of trying to get a better landing. You could see a difference clearly in the way I was finishing pitches. It’s a great sign. It’s something I can definitely work on.”

Maroth said his velocity is about the same as it was before the surgery.

“I’ve never been a hard thrower,” he added.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Feb 14, 2008 5:33 pm

I liked Maroth Frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maroth Released by Cardinals   Maroth Released by Cardinals - Page 2 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Maroth Released by Cardinals
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2