DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

It Happened One Night (1934)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

It Happened One Night (1934) Empty
PostSubject: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Just checking, has anyone watched or reviewed this yet? If not, I'll write a review (because I'm bored and sick today :haha: ).
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 25, 2008 2:18 pm

I haven't seen it as I haven't seen many comedies, but I wouldn't mind seeing this one. This is the film for which Clark Gable won his Oscar and the film won five Oscars including Best Picture.

Also, it did come out in 1934 so I removed the ? in your title.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Maybe I'll have to rewatch it today (I own it) and type up a review.

Considered the first screwball comedy and the movie that (according to imdb) lifted Columbia Pictures from the ranks of "Poverty Row" studios.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Finally:

Alright, I might be a little biased because, to me, Clark Gable is still one of the sexiest men ever, hands down, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

The plot is basic. It begins when we find out that Ellie Andrews (the beautiful Claudette Colbert) has just been swept away from her husband of about five minutes, King Westley, by her father, who disapproves of Westley. Her father threatens to annul the marriage and, determined to return to her husband, Ellie (after throwing one hell of a tantrum) runs away. Not too later at a bus station, she runs into Peter Warne (Clark Gable), a wise-ass journalist determined to follow her wherever she might go for the big story his career requires. Needless to say, the story takes a somewhat predictable route from here as the two fall in love.

This film was the first to win the Oscar “Grand Slam”: Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Writing, Adaptation. Gable and Claudette have a lot of chemistry together and even though the plot is predictable, the writing and the laughs in between (especially some of Gable’s better scenes) carry it. If you’re not a big fan of the occasional corny moment typical in a lot of old movies, there might be a few scenes that will make you cringe, but nothing should ruin the movie for you.

98/100 (Neg two for more corn hulls than I would have even liked.)
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 3:27 pm

TigerLily wrote:

Yikes! 98 Stunned I was ever-so-slightly interested in seeing this but now I need to see it ASAP so I can lower the average score. This jumps to the top as the greatest movie ever for the moment.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 7:40 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
TigerLily wrote:

Yikes! 98 Stunned I was ever-so-slightly interested in seeing this but now I need to see it ASAP so I can lower the average score. This jumps to the top as the greatest movie ever for the moment.

Hey, I admitted that it was a biased review :haha:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 8:05 pm

TigerLily wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
TigerLily wrote:

I got the movie downloaded so I'll watch it tonight. Check back later tonight or tomorrow to see if this is still #1.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
TigerLily wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
TigerLily wrote:

I got the movie downloaded so I'll watch it tonight. Check back later tonight or tomorrow to see if this is still #1.

Well since I don't take you as a fan of romantic comedies, it probably won't be...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 8:14 pm

TigerLily wrote:

Well since I don't take you as a fan of romantic comedies, it probably won't be...

:haha: I liked Harvey, that's a comedy. I liked Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and that has Jean Arthur who is most famous for her work in screwball comedies.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 8:16 pm

True...

Harvey's one of my other most favorite movies.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSun Jul 27, 2008 4:19 am

While I don't generally care for comedies, this one wasn't too bad. Unlike most comedies made today, this one does not try and tell jokes constantly. The film, despite its name, does not happen in one night. The story takes place over several days as a woman tries to run away from her father to New York and she meets someone along the way. While the plot is rather simple and predictable, it's still there and reasonably enjoyable.

The two stars of this film, each of whom won an Oscar, are Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable. The two play of each other nicely in the film and come off as believable. While their roles weren't the most demanding, they both do a rather excellent job. The supporting cast includes a bunch of people, but none of them have a significant enough role to be worth mentioning.

This movie has some funny moments, a decent plot, and good acting. There's nothing all that profound about it and it's rather predictable, but it's a good movie nonetheless.

79/100
C+

UP NEXT: An Alfred Hitchcock film - Suspicion.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_minipostedSun Jul 27, 2008 4:25 am

catbox_9 wrote:

Well it's not #1 anymore Sorry but hey, it's still in the top 20. I'm glad you made me watch this though - I was long overdue to see another Frank Capra film (the only other one I'd seen was Mr. Smith Goes to Washington) and another Gable film (I'd previously only seen him in Gone With the Wind) so this film accomplished both of those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It Happened One Night (1934)   It Happened One Night (1934) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

It Happened One Night (1934)
Page 1 of 1