DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Curtis Granderson Tracker

Go down 
+15
TG
VegasTigersFan
Casey21
laprimamirala
GoGetEmTigers
Trinita
bobrob2004
iluvpudge7
SoulRat
catbox_9
tigersaint
Lo_x15
gs78
prod
mrsrabelo
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 am

02/27/09 8:28 PM EST
Granderson's Classic role could grow
Outfielder may see more playing time with Sizemore out of tournament

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Curtis Granderson accepted an invitation to join Team USA for the World Baseball Classic expecting an outfield rotation around Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore. Now that Sizemore has pulled out of the Classic with a groin injury, Granderson seemingly takes on a more central role.

Granderson said that he saw the news about Sizemore on Friday afternoon but hadn't heard from anyone at Team USA. Nonetheless, it appears that Sizemore's absence changes the outlook in the outfield.

Team USA put Philadelphia's Shane Victorino back on the roster to take Sizemore's spot. Victorino had been on the provisional roster but was left off the final 28-man roster when it was announced on Tuesday. Victorino, who also plays center field, reportedly was concerned about at-bats before accepting the invitation, but was told by manager Dave Johnson that playing time should not be a problem with just four outfielders on the roster.

Granderson presents a versatile option for the club with his ability to play the corner outfield spots as well as center. Even if he moves around the various outfield spots, though, the likely effect will be an increase in his playing time.

At this point, Granderson is ready for whatever happens. He'll report to Team USA camp next week in Clearwater, Fla., to work out with the club ahead of the opening round of play on March 7 at Toronto's Rogers Centre.

Granderson is one of six Tigers in Major League camp who are slated to take part in the World Baseball Classic. Lefty reliever Fu-Te Ni left on Thursday to join the Chinese Taipei team in preparation for its opening round at the Tokyo Dome on March 6. Armando Galarraga made his first and only start for the Tigers on Friday against the Blue Jays before he joins Team Venezuela, which will work out at the Tigers' facility. Miguel Cabrera, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen will join him.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 12:30 am

Go :curtis:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 am

geez! Will there be any Tiger regulars left?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 UGO8jSXy

02/28/09 6:52 PM EST
Granderson focused on defense
Center fielder committed to making improvements to game

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Considering the Tigers and Mets combined for nine walks over the first four innings Saturday afternoon, the fans needed some excitement. Curtis Granderson provided a moment of it in the field.

Granderson closed on Ramon Martinez's low line drive almost immediately off the bat, charging in towards left-center field before making a diving catch for the second out in the top of the fourth inning as the crowd stood up and cheered.

"That's just instinct," manager Jim Leyland said later. "You can't teach that. You can practice it."

Granderson does practice it, and he has worked hard to hone those instincts so far this spring. In his mind, he still has room for improvement -- not just for highlight plays, but for his entire defense -- before the Tigers head north to the tricky outfield of Comerica Park. He's working off instinct, but he's also working off memory.

"If I can put together the arm strength I had in '07 along with being comfortable playing shallow -- which I was in parts of '06 and '07 -- then that'll be, ideally, where I want to be," Granderson said Saturday.

That 2007 season was the year that Granderson really started to gain attention for his defense -- not just highlight plays like climbing the fence to take away a home run against the Red Sox, but strong, accurate throws to nab baserunners. His 10 assists ranked fourth among Major League center fielders that year, and his four double plays tied for the big league lead at the position.

For that matter, so did his 424 putouts, matching Ichiro Suzuki catch for catch. Ichiro, Torii Hunter and Grady Sizemore won the American League Gold Gloves in the outfield that year, and they all repeated last year.

Granderson, meanwhile, statistically slipped in 2008. His assist total fell by half, and both his total chances and putouts dropped. Part of that came with a drop in games played thanks to his season-opening stint on the disabled list, and part came from a pitching staff that gave up a lot more hits. But Granderson said he also felt like he paid for playing deeper in center than past years.

"It just happened," Granderson said. "I felt like, for some reason, I was getting beat, and I don't know why. And I think that's why my mind's set on trying to get a better jump this year."

The Fielding Bible takes into account opportunities for baserunners to advance and extra bases taken away when judging outfielders, along with how many outs the player made compared with how many were expected on balls hit in his area. Granderson's plus-20 rating in 2007 tied for fourth among Major League center fielders. His minus-12 rating last year ranked 29th.

That kind of drop is probably exaggerated, but nonetheless, it reflects how Granderson felt while playing deeper. He wants to get that old feeling back.

It isn't going to be easy. Comerica Park has become known over the years as a tough place to track line drives and low fly balls, particularly during sunny day games. Playing deeper allowed Granderson more time to judge the flight of drives that would take him towards the fence, even though it might have cost him on balls landing shallow. In the past, outfielders cited a reflection of the sunlight coming off of empty seats. When the stadium sold out games galore the last few years and Granderson still had problems, he came to believe it was depth perception at a park where the seats slope back at a lower angle than many other ballparks.

"I feel comfortable -- and this is no offense to these guys -- when I see a Torii Hunter, or an Ichiro, or other guys misjudge [a ball in Detroit]," he said. "I remember facing the Mets in '07, when Jose Valentin went to the left and the ball went to the right. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one."

He's the one, though, who calls it his home park. And the one surefire way he knows to practice his reads is by tracking the ball during morning batting practice sessions in sun-drenched Florida.

"If you take enough balls off the bat during BP, you'll see some like that at some point," Leyland said. "That's the only way you can practice that. You can't really practice that off the fungo.

"In center field, a guy takes a huge swing and your first instinct is to back up, and [then] he hits it off the end of the bat. Those are tricky. You see that happen a lot."

It's that first instinct -- or technically, the first step off that first instinct -- that Granderson is trying to hone.

"Just getting that good jump," Granderson said. "Because that's going to be a determination on catching that ball [Saturday] or not catching that ball, or just any ball."

He'll get a chance to judge balls in big league parks soon enough thanks to the World Baseball Classic. Team USA will play its opening round games at Toronto's Rogers Centre, then move to Dolphin Stadium in Miami if the Americans advance. A night game in an outdoor park like Miami, Granderson believes, would be a good test.

Arm strength and accuracy, he says, are mostly a matter of long tossing, lots of long tossing. He does that most mornings with teammate and good friend Marcus Thames, and outfield coach Andy Van Slyke tests him and other outfielders with a fair number of drills, from hitting the cutoff man to charging on a ball.

"Technique is fine," Granderson said. "It's just that sometimes I don't get that carry. In '07 I had that, and I have to get that."

If he can, he has at least done his part. Outfield defensive statistics are so tied to pitching that Robert Fick once led the Majors in outfield assists because the 2002 Tigers gave up so many hits.

Granderson isn't judging himself on statistics, though. He judges himself on feel, and on the team's bottom line. Still, a crowd reaction like he drew with his catch Saturday is a nice bonus.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Good article, hope Curtis gets that arm strength and accuracy back, it will really help the Tigers!

applaud :curtis:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 9:02 pm

and no breaking the naughty finger! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Curtis Granderson to pose for Playboy

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 04, 2009 12:12 am

catbox_9 wrote:

Spoiler:

I guess I should pick up that issue...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Spoiler:

I guess I should pick up that issue...

I got a thing in the mail where you get 12 issues (one year) for $19.95. I think I threw it out. I should have sent it to you since the cover price on an issue is probably at least $5.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Granderson on Letterman

Curtis Granderson will make an appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman Thursday night. He'll be among the members of Team USA reading answers for the Top Ten list that night. I guess they taped it already, and he's somewhere in the middle of the list, for whatever that's worth.

Posted on March 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM - Beck's Blog
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedThu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 am

he's gettin around fo sho!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedThu Mar 05, 2009 11:16 am

Gotta love our :curtis:
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 10, 2009 2:54 am

Curtis Granderson reacts to playing Tigers teammates in WBC

Posted by JAMES JAHNKE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • March 9, 2009

Here's a transcript of centerfielder Curtis Granderson's interview after his U.S. team beat a Venezuelan team boasting four of his Tigers teammates in the World Baseball Classic on Sunday night. Courtesy of ASAP Sports:

Q. How did it feel playing against four guys off your team?

CURTIS GRANDERSON: Interesting. The big thing battling against Armando Galarraga, getting a chance to see him from that side of the plate. I'm always behind him. I'm always trying to catch everything. But to get a chance to watch other guys go up there and try to battle against him ...

Armando had great stuff again tonight. Just the pitch count, you know, wasn't able to stay in the game as long as I'm sure he wanted to. He had some great stuff again tonight.

The rest of those guys, Miguel (Cabrera), Magglio (Ordonez), Carlos Guillen, again, exciting to get my first out off of Magglio. That was interesting, get a chance to be at first base and talk to Miguel. It wasn't practice, you know. It was a game. And to see Carlos Guillen hit another home run and get his swing back. Definitely excited for these guys. At the same time, still playing for Team USA.

Q. How does it feel with this deep lineup?

CURTIS GRANDERSON: It's amazing. When I was looking at the team, where am I going to fit in, you know. We've got three or four great leadoff guys on the team, so I know I'm not going go there. Two hitters locked in, whether it be Jimmy Rollins or (Dustin) Pedroia or (Derek) Jeter, any one of them are out there.

I'm not going to bat in the middle of the line up, so I got to be somewhere in the bottom. I got no problem batting at the bottom.

Q. When visiting Toronto, what's some of the things you like to do?

CURTIS GRANDERSON: For me, I always want to eat, you know, the specialty. I haven't done that yet. I've been hearing there's a really good seafood place over in this area I'm going to check that out. I know, let me get it right. It's fries with what's on them? I know vinegar and

Q. Oh, from 10, the gravy?

CURTIS GRANDERSON:
Gravy, that's what it is. I wanted to say chili, but it's gravy, that's right. I haven't had that yet. So wherever I'm at, I always got to get that. Whether it be Toronto, whether it be Kansas City for ribs, Seattle for seafood, wherever it is, I got to always get whatever the food is known for there.

Q. Did you have any hesitance about coming here and being part of this?

CURTIS GRANDERSON: My big thing is would I be ready, you know. It's March, what's today, 6th, 7th, 8th, and my swing is never usually right at this point. The one thing I am excited about, my legs feel good, my arm feels good. But I usually just don't have my rhythm right. I still feel the same way like I have in every other spring about the same point.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time before I can get right at the plate.

Q. You heard centerfield chanting every player's name. How do you react to that?

CURTIS GRANDERSON: It's amazing here in Canada, and fellow Americans that came out to support, and the nods of the entire team, I mean, it's hard not to know this team with the number of guys and all stars and MVPs you have, but they're into it. They stayed into it. They're here throughout the whole game. It was amazing, and we thank them for their support, for coming out, and cheering us on, especially in another country.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 pm

GO CURTIS
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Comerica a challenge for Granderson
Tigers center fielder hasn't gotten comfortable in outfield

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/12/09 1:25 PM ET
DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson might win a Gold Glove someday and still never be comfortable playing center field at Comerica Park.

"It's amazing. Even after [playing here since] '04, I still don't have it right," Granderson said.

He's more comfortable playing center on the road. But if Saturday is a sign, he's at least getting more comfortable playing shallow here.

It's the positioning he had two years ago before retreating last year, and he wanted to get back to it when he focused on defensive work early in Spring Training. His time in the World Baseball Classic cut short his work, but he's making progress.

Plays like Saturday's mad dash into the center-field wall, painful as they look, are signs of progress. He's had two this week, the other capping Wednesday's win at Toronto, and both required him to take his eye off the ball for a few steps while he ran back.

That, manager Jim Leyland said, is a key adjustment for him.

"Outfielders, when the ball's hit over their head like that, they have to try to run to the spot where they think the ball's coming down," Leyland said. "You can't try to time it and stutter-step and all that. You won't catch up with it. That's a big difference with any outfielder."

Given Granderson's depth, it's particularly important. He drifted deeper last year, partly so he could better judge deep fly balls like that one. Playing shallow forces him to get a good first jump, but quickly judging where the ball is headed is just as important.

That initial read can be tough here, particularly in day games. Whether it's fans wearing white behind home plate, or tricky winds that are hard to judge by the outfield flags, or the sound of ball meeting bat, or even the low rise of the stands from field level to the main concourse, Granderson still isn't comfortable here compared with other places.

"I still don't know what it is on this field," Granderson said, "but there's some days you see fine, and there's other days where you just can't find the ball."

That, plus all that outfield to cover, leaves Granderson hesitant to creep in that far. He played far deeper in Friday's home opener, he said, than he did Saturday.

"I'm still just a little nervous, just because there's so much behind me," he said. "Other ballparks, I've got no problem coming in. Every other ballpark I feel comfortable doing it, except this one."
He tries settling in by tracking fly balls in batting practice, taking flies from outfield coach Andy Van Slyke and talking with corner outfielders Carlos Guillen and Magglio Ordonez. Still, he isn't sure he'll ever feel as comfortable here as elsewhere. His consolation is that few visiting outfielders feel comfortable here, either.

"I've seen Ichiro misjudge a ball here," Granderson said. "I've seen Torii [Hunter] misjudge a ball here."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 12, 2009 11:26 pm

So Mike I., it is YOUR DESIGNED ballpark that makes it hard on the center fielders, FIND THE PROBLEM AND FIX IT!!!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
So Mike I., it is YOUR DESIGNED ballpark that makes it hard on the center fielders, FIND THE PROBLEM AND FIX IT!!!

Tear it down and build a new one? :shrug:

Good thing he's not playing in Enron Field Minute Maid Park. That hill in centerfield was a stupid design.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedMon Apr 13, 2009 12:31 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Tear it down and build a new one? :shrug:

Good thing he's not playing in Enron Field Minute Maid Park. That hill in centerfield was a stupid design.

Tal's Hill is okay. Other ballparks used to have similar features. Look at Crosley Field (tough to tell since it's all grass):

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 CrosleyField1968

Fenway Park (Duffy's Cliff) used to have one, too. There were others, just less famous.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Granderson tries to get youth involved
Outfielder honors Foundation scholars on Robinson Day

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/15/09 2:15 PM ET

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson didn't have the chance to take part in Jackie Robinson Day festivities last year. He was on the disabled list at the time, preparing for a Minor League rehab stint to test out his fractured right hand.

With the Tigers at home for this year's festivities Wednesday, Granderson was a visible participant. Not only did he don Robinson's jersey number 42 once again, as did every player in the Major Leagues, he was one of 13 players around baseball to receive a special set of baseball cleats from Nike to wear for the game. The blue and gray shoes feature Robinson's number 42 on the side in red.

Before the game, Granderson took part in an on-field ceremony to honor four Jackie Robinson Foundation scholars from the University of Michigan, as well as the six winners of the Tigers' 13th annual Jackie Robinson Art, Essay and Poetry contest.

The total effort helps raise awareness of the impact Robinson had not just on baseball, but America. Granderson thinks Major League Baseball's efforts over the past several years have helped.

"I think the awareness of Jackie Robinson and the importance of the day is there," Granderson said. "And I think it's been there -- maybe not necessarily the day, but the fact of who he is and what he's done for not only baseball, but in general."

Another goal for Granderson is to try to continue the legacy and get more African-American kids involved in the game, notably in inner cities. Granderson has been involved in that effort, along with other prominent Major Leaguers such as Jimmy Rollins.

That goal, Granderson said, has been tougher to achieve.

"I think there has been a lot made about acknowledging the decline of African-Americans, not only in Major League Baseball, but baseball in general," Granderson said. "But I haven't seen much working to get it back right. You've seen attempts."

A report released Wednesday, however, indicated the percentage of black players in the Majors increased to 10.2 percent last year, the first rise since the 1995 season.

Granderson's recent success, as well as that of CC Sabathia, and the World Series run by the Phillies behind star players Rollins and Ryan Howard, have all made African-American players more visible in the game. Still, Granderson said, no African-American baseball player has reached the same level of recognition as top superstar players in other sports, such as LeBron James and Kevin Garnett in basketball, or LaDainian Tomlinson in football.

Granderson thinks there's starting to be an impact. He has heard people in public talking about the commercials Rollins and Howard did this past offseason. Still, progress has been tough, and Granderson and others have tried to come up with ideas.

"Just talking with guys on this team and other teams, I've been trying to come up with what needs to be done, what can be done," Granderson said. "I think the most difficult thing has been getting kids to think that it's not a boring sport.

"We have big-name guys in baseball. I don't know what it is."

One thing Granderson would like to see is more kids playing baseball longer, along with other sports. He worries that youth and high school athletics have become so encompassing in terms of workouts and practices that kids are sometimes forced to choose one sport too early rather than enjoy more than one.

Granderson grew up with basketball as his first love. He didn't choose baseball over hoops, he said, until his sophomore year in college. Marcus Thames, he pointed out, was a great football player as a kid, as were Ryan Raburn and Brent Clevlen.

"It's part of being a kid and growing up," Granderson said. "And I don't think you should be limited until you, the kid, get to decide."

Granderson and Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon were among the judges for the Art, Essay and Poetry Contest, which received 277 submissions from local middle and high school students. Here were the winners:

Art -- Kendall Dumas, Langston Hughes Middle School, Detroit; Randy Asahak, Mohegan High School, Macomb
Essay -- Sanjay Reddy, West Bloomfield Middle School; Andrew Biter, Riverview High School, Detroit
Poetry -- Alex Knight, Sarah Banks Middle School, Walled Lake; Raphael Tramble, Loyola High School, Detroit

Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Who were the other 12 players?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedThu May 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Granderson enjoys coming home
Tigers outfielder soaks up finer points of Chicago

By David Just / Special to MLB.com

05/06/09 10:25 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The Tigers' two-game set against the White Sox provides outfielder Curtis Granderson with an abbreviated homecoming of sorts.

The fleet-footed center fielder grew up 25 minutes south of U.S. Cellular Field in Lynwood, Ill., and attended Thornton Fractional South High School. Granderson said his friends and family always are in attendance when he's in town, which makes his visits back to Chicago particularly special.

His career numbers on the South Side might be well below his usual standards, but that hasn't changed his love for the city.

"I love to come home and play here and get a chance to play against the White Sox," Granderson said. "It's my favorite city to visit, but in terms of playing, I got to give it to Anaheim. I love playing there."

Indeed, Granderson is hitting .370 with seven home runs in 73 career at-bats at Angel Stadium.

Statistics aside, Granderson loves Chicago for a host of different reasons, the most obvious being his choice of restaurants. Even though he only will be in town for two days, Granderson will make a point to get a bite to eat in his favorite neighborhood.

"It'll be tough this time, but I'll make sure to get to Greektown and get some Greektown gyros," Granderson said. "If we have some day time or happen to have an off-day, I'll definitely get a pizza, too. Fortunately, many places here are open 24 hours, so I can eat anytime."

Granderson was dismayed that the team will not be in town for the annual Taste of Chicago, which runs for 10 days in late June through the Fourth of July.

"I'd have to school the guys on how to eat there," Granderson said. "Just because you see a turkey leg and you love it, we don't all need a turkey leg. One person gets it, and then we all split it so we can try some other things."

A career in Detroit clearly has done little to affect Granderson's appreciation for the finer points of his hometown.

David Just is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedThu May 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Does he still co-own that restaurant in Chicago?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 1:15 am

Highlight plays and Gold Gloves
BECK'S BLOG

To me, one of the factors that adds to the impact of Curtis Granderson's incredible catch Friday night was the player it came against. Grady Sizemore has probably had more highlight catches over the course of his career, certainly more memorable catches at the fence or near the track. In fact, one of his highlight catches last year or two years ago was a diving catch going back in the gap that robbed Granderson in Cleveland.

So when somebody mentioned Sizemore to Granderson, his thoughts went to that catch pretty quickly.

"He's robbed me of a few, too, here in this ballpark," Granderson said after the game. "That's the only place we seem to do it. Our ballpark's so big, you can't play deep enough, and if we do, we can't hit it to center field. He's definitely taken away a lot of balls against our team, and against me in particular. I get the chance to even it out, sure enough. He's probably going to be trying to get me tomorrow."

When you think about the ballpark comments, it's a great point. Most of Granderson's highlight catches in his career have been sliding or diving grabs in front of him. The one memorable grab at the fence from him in my mind is the catch he made to rob then-Red Sox player Wily Mo Pena on July 8, 2007. You can watch the replay here under the top play link and realize how far he had to run to get to the fence.

It raises an intriguing question that has come up before: How big of a role do highlight plays factor in Gold Glove awards? These are the plays coaches around the league see and hear about the next day in their respective clubhouses, and coaches make the vote. Granderson was arguably been underrated as an outfielder, though his stats took a little bit of a dip last year.

Well, already this season you have the incredible throw to the plate Granderson made on the fly last month, and now this. If Granderson can put up the stats -- he put a LOT of emphasis on his defense this spring -- will highlight plays become a factor that gets him serious Gold Glove consideration?

* Posted on May 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedMon May 11, 2009 4:59 am

Enjoy it here. Over and over and over and over again.... Smile

CLICK LINK TO SEE:> http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4478819

Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedMon May 11, 2009 5:05 am

hey swiss! Yup, we are definitely enjoying it here. Sweeeeeet.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedMon May 11, 2009 5:07 am

It was soooooo perfect! Somebody buy that boy ein beer bitte.
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue May 12, 2009 6:12 am

Video is gone. Sad
Go to tigers.com to watch it.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue May 12, 2009 8:51 am

I put the link to MLB for Granderson's Superman catch above....
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue May 12, 2009 10:53 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I put the link to MLB for Granderson's Superman catch above....
Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_minipostedFri May 29, 2009 8:37 am

Lineup spot changes approach
Batting fifth against rookie, Granderson adjusts

By Pete Kerzel / Special to MLB.com

05/28/09 6:37 PM ET

BALTIMORE -- Curtis Granderson didn't pay much attention Thursday afternoon to the grainy video being pumped over a laptop and through one of the Tigers' clubhouse televisions. It was supposed to give Detroit a look at Orioles right-hander David Hernandez, who made his Major League debut against Detroit later that evening.

But Granderson, who was dropped from leadoff to fifth in the Tigers' lineup to provide some additional protection for cleanup hitter Miguel Cabrera, preferred to go about his normal pregame routine minus any extra scouting of Hernandez, a 24-year-old power pitcher who assumed the rotation spot belonging to Japanese import Koji Uehara, who is on the disabled list with a left hamstring strain.

"It seems like once you get to the Major Leagues, everything gets technically advanced, and in the Minor Leagues, you don't have that," explained Granderson. "You just go up there. That's the process that got you here, so I try to revert back to that. Go back to the simple basics: see ball, hit ball, get yourself into a position to hit."

Granderson is hitting .364 (4-for-11) on the current road trip to lift his season average to .247. So far this season, he's been a better hitter on the road -- where he is hitting .293 (27-for-92) -- compared to a .200 average (18-for-90) at Comerica Park.

Against Hernandez, he hopes to benefit from not having to hit first, as he's done 41 times previously this season.

"You talk to guys who have hit before you," Granderson said. "You learn as you go. ... You don't want to go up there and take two pitches -- strike one, strike two -- and then be behind a guy who might have average stuff who all of a sudden turns into a guy with great stuff."

Manager Jim Leyland dropped Granderson in the batting order, in part, to give Hernandez a tougher middle of the lineup to face. Leyland originally had Granderson leading off and designated hitter Jeff Larish batting fifth behind Cabrera. Then he retooled the order, using left fielder Clete Thomas as his leadoff hitter, putting Granderson fifth and moving Larish to the seven hole, behind third baseman Brandon Inge.

"It gives the lineup a little more credibility when you've got a guy like Granderson hitting behind Cabrera. It doesn't put as much pressure on the kid [Larish] to have to hit behind [Cabrera]," Leyland said. "I actually had it the other way to start with, and I changed it."

Larish is hitting only .111 (2-for-18) in his last eight games, with nine strikeouts over that span. Leyland hopes the cozy confines of Camden Yards might result in a resumption of Larish's power stroke. Larish homered in three straight games, May 10-13.

"I put Larish in there tonight and dropped him down a little bit, [trying to] take a little pressure off him," Leyland said. "This is a ballpark where you can hit a home run, and I was hoping he'd maybe run into one. ... Maybe having him behind Cabrera spooked him a little bit."

Granderson has usually benefited from having left-handed-hitting Josh Anderson in the leadoff spot when he's been dropped to fifth. Because Thomas also swings from the left side of the plate, Granderson hopes he can benefit from the lineup construction.

"For the most part, I get a chance to watch another lefty before me and see what the pitcher is doing to him," Granderson said. "When it comes up to finally be my turn to bat, the situation only changes because there might be a guy on base the first at-bat as opposed to there being no runners on base on my first at-bat all the time. In that situation, you treat it however the case comes. On second base with two outs, you try to drive him in or on second base with less than two outs, you try to move him over. The situation will dictate my approach to the plate."

Pete Kerzel is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 9 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Curtis Granderson Tracker
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next