DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Curtis Granderson Tracker

Go down 
+15
TG
VegasTigersFan
Casey21
laprimamirala
GoGetEmTigers
Trinita
bobrob2004
iluvpudge7
SoulRat
catbox_9
tigersaint
Lo_x15
gs78
prod
mrsrabelo
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Topic moved
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 08, 2009 9:27 pm

I almost cried when I heard he got traded to the Yankess. I am so upset right now. This is HORRIBLE. I can't even believe it.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 08, 2009 10:38 pm

Ughhh =// We still love you Grandy.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Tigers better be ready for a major fallout with their fans over this! But hopefully things will work out. If Austin Jackson does not make the starting lineup..., Clete has some wheels that may be able to handle the BIG centerfield. Otherwise, hopefully one of the youngsters steps up and shines in Spring Training.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, Granderson WAS the really the main attraction for the fans. We didn't just lose a player. We lost a class act. All of his fundraisers, charities, donations, community service acts, and still being a great player and person.

Shame he's gone. that basically sums it up.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedWed Dec 09, 2009 7:52 am

I'm still shocked. It was a dumb move. Why would it make sense? Good hitter and AMAZING in CF. I just do't get it.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedThu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Granderson deal Yanks' splash in Indy
Center fielder acquired for Austin Jackson and Coke

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

12/09/09 10:30 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Yankees did not come to the Winter Meetings expecting to shake up the news cycle in front of the national baseball audience, but by Wednesday, they had certainly done that by officially acquiring All-Star center fielder Curtis Granderson in a seven-player trade involving the Tigers and D-backs.

With the biggest move of the week now complete, the Yankees can begin to pencil in lineups that include Granderson, immediately installed as the club's everyday center fielder and featuring a powerful left-handed stroke that will soon take aim at Yankee Stadium's short right-field porch.

"I'm not going to be the standout guy," Granderson said. "I'm not going to be the guy that you're constantly worried about. But if you don't keep an eye on me, hopefully, I can go and sneak in and do some positive things for our team."

The Yankees had to give up something to get the affable 28-year-old, and that meant that general manager Brian Cashman had to send outfield prospect Austin Jackson and left-hander Phil Coke to Detroit while also shipping right-hander Ian Kennedy to Arizona.

In the other pieces of the deal, the D-backs acquired right-hander Edwin Jackson from the Tigers, and Detroit obtained right-hander Max Scherzer and left-hander Daniel Schlereth from Arizona.

Granderson hit .249 with 30 home runs, 71 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 160 games for the Tigers in 2009, and the All-Star said that his versatility and willingness to hit anywhere in the lineup could help him adapt to whatever role the Yankees have in mind.

"We're excited about what he brings to the table -- his athleticism, his youth, his power and how it all relates to where we play," Cashman said. "His personality, how people gravitate to him -- they're all plusses."

Over the past five seasons, Granderson ranks third in the Majors with 56 triples, but it is his power that the Yankees might find most appealing. Granderson saw how the ball carries out of the new Stadium, and though he won't go up looking to pepper the seats, more dingers could be in his future.

"I've never been a guy who's gone up there trying to hit home runs," Granderson said. "I think it's one of those things that has evolved over my career, and hopefully, the same will hold true at Yankee Stadium -- going up and trying to drive the baseball, and if it gets out, it gets out."

New York's interest in Granderson was hatched in November, though the permutations of the deal have evolved. Originally, the Yankees balked at including Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes in the package, and left-handed reliever Michael Dunn was successfully yanked from discussions as well.

The Tigers may have needed to shed Granderson's contract, but Cashman said he felt it was a "good contract" for New York's budget. Granderson is scheduled to receive $5.5 million next season, $8.25 million in 2011 and $10 million in '12, with a club option for '13.

But the price in terms of prospects is still difficult for Cashman to swallow, and the veteran GM said he wrestled with the projections of what Jackson, Coke and Kennedy could eventually become at the Major League level.

"We're excited about what we're getting, and we're distraught about what we gave up at the same time," Cashman said "It's not like I'm doing handstands. It's a tough decision. You're trading the future for here and now."

Granderson said he is excited about the change and has a good idea of what sort of frenzy awaits him once he finally puts the pinstripes on.

Walking through a crowded Manhattan sidewalk with former teammate Marcus Thames, Granderson once saw the former Yankee recognized by a police officer, who not only pointed at the outfielder but recalled that he slugged a home run in his first big league at-bat, which came against Randy Johnson back at the original Yankee Stadium.

"It just amazed me," Granderson said. "This guy picked him out, not in uniform, and remembered that bit about him. That part is going to be probably the most interesting. People know it, they study it."

True to form, New York fans are already curious about one issue that hitting coach Kevin Long will tackle: Granderson's unimpressive splits against left-handed pitchers, who largely neutralized the dynamic outfielder this past season. Granderson hit all but two of his home runs off right-handers, batting just .183 in 180 at-bats against southpaws.

If the season started Thursday, the Yankees would address the problem by having Granderson bat second against right-handed pitchers and lower in the order against left-handers. Cashman said that the scouting video doesn't show any obvious fixes, calling it "more of a head-scratcher."

"When it comes down to actual mechanical and mental changes that we have to make in the game, that's going to come over time, I think," Granderson said. "Having the chance to be around hitters that have proven to be consistent like [Derek] Jeter, [Mark] Teixeira, [Alex Rodriguez] ... hopefully, I can learn a lot."

The Yankees are also aware of an issue that popped up in September, when Granderson took some odd routes to fly balls. New York had three scouts pinned to Detroit, a potential playoff opponent, and said that the scouts are pleased with Granderson's defensive metrics and still happy with the deal.

With Granderson in center field, the Yankees can opt to shift Melky Cabrera to left field, with Nick Swisher set to return to right field. New York could also pursue either Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui, though a return engagement for either player would be on the franchise's financial terms.

Cashman's trip to Indianapolis has been fulfilling, as the GM now believes he is closer to putting the finishing touches on his 2010 roster.

Also on Wednesday, the Yankees announced a new one-year, $11.75 million contract for left-hander Andy Pettitte, and on Monday, the Yankees traded right-handed reliever Brian Bruney to the Nationals in exchange for Washington's first-round selection in Thursday's Rule 5 Draft.

There is one additional item to figure out. Granderson wore No. 28 with the Tigers, the digits manager Joe Girardi is interested in wearing to represent the franchise's pursuit of a 28th World Series championship.

Showing an early grasp of Yankees history, Granderson said with a laugh that he also knew he couldn't switch to No. 2 (Jeter) or No. 8 (retired for Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra).

"It'll be interesting," Granderson said. "Of course, [Girardi's] the man. He's the one that makes everything go. He's going to definitely have first dibs on it, and if he chooses to take it, I've played in other numbers before. It's just a number on the back. Whatever you do on the field hopefully will stand out more."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedThu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Posted: Dec. 10, 2009
Leaving Detroit is 'tough' for Curtis Granderson
He says he had fun, praises Tigers fans

BY JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Poised and polite. The words capture Curtis Granderson's conduct throughout six seasons as a Tiger.

They also describe Granderson on Wednesday night in his first interview after the Tigers traded him to the team of "Jeter, Teixeira, A-Rod, Robinson Cano" -- as he rattled off some of his Yankees teammates.

Asked to give a message to Tigers fans, Granderson said: "It's been a great relationship. I'm glad I got to start my career there. I had a lot of fun, learning a lot about Detroit. The fans are very loyal and diehard. If you play hard, they respect you."

Leaving all that, he said, "is going to be tough."

He said it will be difficult to leave his educational efforts in Detroit. But he found a positive: "One of our goals was to (go) nationwide, and what better market to do that in than New York?"

Two winters ago, Granderson signed a five-year contract, $30-million contract. That deal seemed to promise security with the Tigers. Instead, it caused him to be traded, because the Tigers felt they had to reduce payroll.

"You put yourself in a situation to make stability for your career," Granderson, 28, said of his contract. "But at certain times you've got to make moves. The good thing is that no matter where I go, I still get to play. That's the good thing about the contract."

NOTEBOOK: Manager Jim Leyland said Granderson's exit makes the Tigers "a little lopsided right-handed" in the batting order and leaves him without any idea who the team's leadoff hitter will be. That would explain why the Tigers have talked to the Dodgers about a trade for Juan Pierre, who like Granderson is a left-handed-hitting outfielder who can lead off. Were the Tigers to acquire Pierre, they'd apparently either have to trade Carlos Guillen for him or move Guillen to DH (not his favorite spot) so Pierre could play left. That all presumes that newcomer Austin Jackson wins the Tigers' centerfield job. ...

For the second straight year and third time in his career, Edwin Jackson goes to a new team in a trade. "It's not tough," Jackson, 26, told the Arizona Republic. "I've always been one of those guys (that) as long as a team wants me, it's never a bad thing. When a team doesn't want me, then we'd have a problem. I understand it's a business and that teams have to make adjustments." ...

Granderson's number as a Tiger was 28, and manager Joe Girardi intends to switch from No. 27 to No. 28 -- signifying the Yankees' quest for a 28th World Series title. Growing up, Granderson also wore Nos. 2 and 8. "Those numbers aren't options either," Granderson said, knowing the first belongs to Derek Jeter and the latter retired for Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedThu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Ughh. As much as I like the new guys, I question whether or not it was worth Granderson AND Jackson.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedFri Dec 18, 2009 7:28 am

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Mlbf_7145595_th_13

Yanks introduce Granderson to big stage
Club welcomes outfielder in news conference at Stadium

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

12/17/09 2:42 PM EST

NEW YORK -- It didn't take Curtis Granderson long to realize how much more intense things might be at his new place of business. One glance at his overflowing cell phone was enough to prove that point.

It is a career change that Granderson and the Yankees both hope will work out in a big way. The newest acquisition was formally introduced on Thursday at Yankee Stadium, donning the pinstripes just a few hundred feet from where he will soon patrol center field.

"I'm excited to get a chance to be here with the defending world champions," Granderson said. "Hopefully we can look to repeat and add titles throughout the course of my career and be in the great city of New York."

Joined by teammates CC Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez, Granderson donned his new cap and jersey for the flickering cameras, while his new organization gushed about the quality athlete and man they had acquired.

"I'm excited. He's just a great young man," said Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner. "Obviously we all know about his ability, but it's his character that I'm equally excited about. He's going to be a great, great fit in our clubhouse."

The left-handed-hitting Granderson belted 30 home runs last season with the Tigers, and after being acquired last week in a three-team, seven-player deal, New York is confident that his stroke will play well within Yankee Stadium's cozy dimensions.

"It doesn't look as small as everyone says it is," Granderson said. "The numbers speak for themselves. Guys have had great years here. To get a chance to be here 81 days out of the year and hopefully into the postseason, the main thing is to do what I've done.

"I've never been a guy who considers myself a home run hitter. I can't go up there and just try to hit a home run -- I don't have that ability like, say, Alex Rodriguez."

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the team has admired Granderson since 2006, when his Tigers ousted New York from the American League Division Series. Just as important in making the move was Granderson's personality, which should mesh well in the dugout.

"Obviously we're very excited about what Curtis brings to our club," manager Joe Girardi said. "Athleticism is something that I love, and that's what we're getting. He has outstanding character and I know he will be a leader on and off the field."

Granderson hit .249 with 71 RBIs and 20 stolen bases as an All-Star for the Tigers last season, and said that he was not concerned with trade rumors until he started getting text messages en masse on the morning of Nov. 8.

Turning on the television to check out reports, he learned that the Yankees were close to acquiring his services for three players -- outfielder Austin Jackson and pitchers Phil Coke and Ian Kennedy.

"It was amazing, the number of text messages that can go in a matter of seconds," Granderson said. "I'm glad I got an unlimited plan."

Granderson said that the thought of joining the Yankees' storied tradition appeals to him, and the name of Bernie Williams came up often during a dinner conversation in New York on Wednesday -- an ideal mix of success and performance that Granderson would do well to equal.

"To get a chance to say, 'Hey, I play for the Yankees,' fans all over the world know that," Granderson said. "There's no question of, 'What city is that?' They know the Yankees. I never knew this day would come, but I'm very excited about it."

One caveat the Yankees had in making the trade were Granderson's splits against left-handed pitching. He batted just .183 with two homers in 180 at-bats against southpaws in 2009, and former AL Central rival Sabathia has an idea why.

"I think earlier in his career, when he first came up, he was driving balls to left field, and I think he was tougher on lefties then," Sabathia said. "He was hitting the ball in the gap in left-center.

"Then he started hitting a few home runs and got a little pull-happy. I think that's why lefties were able to stay away from him and throw slower stuff and have success against him."

To help fix the situation, Granderson said that he'd like to talk to Sabathia about the way he was pitched -- two-seamers in and plenty of outs away, Sabathia said -- and also check with Robinson Cano, who has hit lefties well in his career.

But the most important advice will come from hitting coach Kevin Long, with whom Granderson spoke on Monday and is planning to see after he completes working out with outfielder Nick Swisher.

"I think the biggest factor for us is the Kevin Long factor," Rodriguez said. "Any player you bring into our lineup has an opportunity to improve by 10 or 15 percent over what he did in a previous ballpark by coming here with our lineup, the way we talk hitting and our philosophies."

If the season were to begin today, Granderson would be New York's No. 2 hitter against right-handed pitchers and likely slot lower against lefties, a decision that is subject to change. But there is no doubt that the Yankees believe he will be an impact player in New York.

"Anytime you can add a guy like that to the lineup that we have, it's exciting," Sabathia said. "He plays a great centerfield and in this ballpark, he'll probably hit 50 home runs. We'll see."

Granderson selected to take an old high school uniform No. 14, instead of his customary No. 28. That clears the way for Girardi to take hold of the digits representing the club's quest for a 28th World Series title.

"I've never been tied down or superstitious to the number, so I said, 'Let's go with it,'" Granderson said. "Worst-case scenario, if we win, I can get the number next year."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSat Dec 19, 2009 3:07 pm

He always will look better with an English D. The pinstripes aren't for him.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 01, 2010 2:14 am

Posted: Dec. 31, 2009
Curtis Granderson goes to bat for Tigers with New York-crazed media

FREE PRESS STAFF

While New York is buzzing about the newest Yankee, former Tiger Curtis Granderson still seems to be the grounded guy Detroit fans loved.

In a Q&A with Granderson on ESPN.com, Scoop Jackson talked to the centerfielder about his new team and new life in New York.

Granderson had nothing bad to say about Detroit. In fact, he mentioned that people keep telling him that now he has a chance to win a World Series. Here was his response to Jackson about that:

"You know, people have said that to me -- 'At least you have a chance to win a ring.' And I always say, 'Every team has a chance to win a ring.' I played in a World Series while I was in Detroit, so you never know. The Yankees hadn't been in the World Series since 2001; now, the fact that they are defending champions I'm sure is going to make them the odds-on favorites. But it's 0-0 as far as I'm concerned."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 25, 2010 8:38 am

Posted: Jan. 25, 2010
Curtis Granderson did good in Detroit, and he'll do well in New York

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Curtis Granderson will be great in New York. He should hit a lot of home runs in new Yankee Stadium. He might win a World Series or two and charm the media and become a bigger star than ever.

But it will never be the same for him as it was in Detroit.

New York has other stars. A lot of them. Not just Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez, who will always be a bigger story on the Yankees than Curtis Granderson. New York also has Spike Lee and David Letterman and Sarah Jessica Parker and dozens of movie stars and whichever It Girl happens to be getting in trouble there at the moment.

Let's face it: Right now, Jeter's girlfriend is a bigger story in New York than Curtis Granderson. And you can be sure that the tabloids are already clearing space on their front page for A-Rod's next girlfriend, whoever she is.

This is not all bad. It is just different. In New York, Granderson will probably never have a day like he did at Birmingham Seaholm High School on Sunday, when his charity basketball game turned into a Farewell-to-Curtis extravaganza. It was a down-to-earth Midwestern day all around, from the packed high school gym to the former local heroes who still get big cheers (Mateen Cleaves, Jalen Rose, T.J. Duckett, Lloyd Carr).

And Granderson is a Midwestern guy. He talked Sunday about driving from his hometown of Chicago to Detroit, how he knows where the inexpensive gas stations are, and I just don't think you'll hear that from A-Rod. (Granderson is notoriously cheap -- even proudly cheap. Nobody in baseball takes more pride in making a cheap suit look good. He is already wondering if he needs a car in Manhattan because he doesn't want to pay for parking.)

Mostly, though, Granderson talked about how much he appreciated Detroit. And I think this gets to what bothers people, more than anything, about the Granderson trade.

It might make baseball sense. It might make financial sense. But no Tiger of this generation understood and appreciated the community more than Granderson. And he got shipped out.

Worse, the one thing that everybody should have loved about Granderson -- his off-field work -- started to be held against him. There were whispers that his full plate was hurting him at home plate. Granderson said he didn't know if those whispers came from the Tigers or not, but he was being diplomatic.

"It's amazing how so much is talked about, about players not doing something," Granderson said. "Then I do something, and it's the reason why I was playing bad. My book took two days. That's it: two days. If I did an autograph signing it was on an off day. If I was mentioned with (the Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities program), it's really just my name.

"So there are a lot of things on the résumé, but it's really not that time-consuming. It's amazing what's OK to spend time on and what's not. If I were married and had kids, that's OK. But the fact that I'm helping out everybody else's kids, there seemed to be a problem with that.

"It's been talked about over the past two years. And honestly, the busiest year was 2007, which was arguably my best year."

Actually, I think his best statistical years are ahead. I hope New York appreciates Curtis Granderson. Detroit always did, even if the Tigers did not.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG: 313-222-6052 or mrosenberg@freepress.com.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 pm

MLB, Granderson join anti-obesity effort
Yanks outfielder appears with first lady in support of campaign

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

02/09/10 2:44 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- When Curtis Granderson heard that the White House was requesting his presence for an important announcement, he knew that it was not the type of invitation that could be easily turned down.

That's how the Yankees outfielder found himself in a select audience in the State Dining Room on Tuesday afternoon, applauding as first lady Michelle Obama outlined a new nationwide campaign, "Let's Move," targeted at solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation.

Granderson represented Major League Baseball's commitment to help. Because of the 28-year-old's extensive history of involvement in community efforts, it should have been no surprise that Commissioner Bud Selig said he "can think of no better MLB representative" to enter the doors at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in support.

The Illinois native is the son of a physical education teacher, just one reason why influencing children to lead more active and healthy lifestyles is important to Granderson. Unfortunately, the childhood staples of recess, gym classes and playing ball until dark are on the decline.

"The things that I did were just second nature -- going outside and riding my bike," Granderson said in an interview with MLB.com. "I didn't realize they were paying dividends at the age of 5, 6, 7 years old. But now that I look back, I'm glad that I did it. I'm able to be in the physical shape that I am today because of those little things that I did. All of it was because of having fun and being a little kid."

Now he's hoping to help others do the same through this nationwide movement.

The anti-obesity campaign will set a national goal of solving the challenge within a generation for the first time. The program "will be designed to unite and inspire families to take real and sustained actions to eat better, be more active and make a commitment to embracing healthier lifestyles," MLB said in a statement.

In her address, Mrs. Obama outlined a comprehensive plan of action that aims to provide schools, families and communities with tools to help children be more active, eat better and be healthier. It is vital to start immediately, she said. Over the past three decades, childhood obesity rates in America have tripled, and nearly one in three American children is overweight or obese.

Mrs. Obama understands that it is not always easy to make the best choices. In the years before she had the White House staff at her disposal, long hours led to trips to the drive-thru window or calls to takeout restaurants. That might have continued if the family pediatrician in Chicago had not told her that he did not like the weight fluctuations he was seeing in the Obama daughters.

"That was a moment of truth for me," Mrs. Obama said. "It was a wakeup call that I was the one in charge, even if it didn't always feel that way. And today it's time for a moment of truth for our country. It's time we all had a wakeup call. It's time for us to be honest with ourselves about how we got here.

"Our kids didn't do this to themselves. Our kids don't decide what's served to them at school or whether there's time for gym class or recess. Our kids don't choose to make food products with tons of sugar and sodium in super-sized portions, and then to have those products marketed to them everywhere they turn.

"And no matter how much they beg for pizza, fries and candy, ultimately, they are not, and should not, be the ones calling the shots at dinnertime. We're in charge. We make these decisions. But that's actually the good news here. If we're the ones who make the decisions, then we can decide to solve this problem."

Earlier on Tuesday, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum creating the first Task Force on Child Obesity, which will conduct a review of every program relating to child nutrition and physical activity within the next 90 days. A Web site, LetsMove.org, was immediately launched in support.

Granderson was an interested observer at the formal White House media event, which featured several speakers, including former National Football League running back Tiki Barber.

"I think the big thing is relaying a message that you don't have to go outside and play a sport to be active," Granderson said. "Walking, running, riding a bike -- all of those things don't really require talent, as long as you have the physical ability to do it. You can do a lot of different things to get the heart rate up. Then, from a nutritional standpoint, part of it is just having another option, which is one of the things that the first lady is trying to allow for in schools."

Granderson, who spent his first six Major League seasons with the Tigers and was an All-Star for the first time in 2009, was making his second trip to the White House. He had been invited with several other big leaguers to enjoy dinner with President George W. Bush in December 2007, and he also had the opportunity to meet President Obama at last summer's All-Star Game in St. Louis.

Acquired by the Yankees in a three-team trade in December, Granderson established the not-for-profit Grand Kids Foundation in 2008, focusing on improving opportunities for inner-city youth in regard to education and baseball. Last year, he was named the Marvin Miller Man of the Year and was also a nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award.

As an MLB Ambassador, Granderson has visited Europe, South Africa and China to promote baseball.

"[He is] a role model and ambassador for baseball who has demonstrated a passion and dedication for all issues relating to enriching young people's lives," Selig said.

MLB also announced on Tuesday an expansion of its "Wanna Play?" initiative, a program dedicated to youth fitness that debuted last year with events in Cincinnati, Houston and Philadelphia. This year, it will be administered by Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the official charity of MLB, with a goal of reaching 175,000 members.

"Wanna Play?" encourages children 6 to 12 to increase their physical fitness by focusing on agility, coordination and balance while incorporating baseball and softball elements.

"I'd like to thank Major League Baseball and the Commissioner's Office for allowing me to come here and represent both sides in this joint effort with all the different sports and the government, to show the importance of getting kids back to being active and reducing the obesity issue that we have here in the U.S.," Granderson said.

"It's always exciting to get a chance to do something like this. It has a chance to affect so many different people, especially kids, which is what my Grand Kids Foundation is focused on -- educating kids and getting kids back playing baseball and being active."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 09, 2010 10:46 pm

To go along with this, I recommend that everybody watch the 6 segment show "Shaq's Big Challenge" on www.Hulu.com . Shaquille O'Neal addressed this problem in Florida and hoped to extend it nationwide.

Click here to See "Shaq's Big Challenge"
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Granderson brings flexibility to camp
Outfielder open to moving to left, changing spots in lineup

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

02/15/10 3:09 PM EST

TAMPA, Fla. -- Curtis Granderson took turns looking over his shoulders with Brett Gardner on Monday, each of them racing back toward center field and watching baseballs safely land in their outstretched gloves.

The Yankees have a nice problem to solve, with at least two players in camp capable of serving as the Opening Day center fielder. On his first morning suiting up, Granderson said that he would be fine if the course of the spring caused him to patrol left field instead.

"People forget that I came up as a left fielder," Granderson said after a workout at the club's complex. "In the Minor Leagues all the way up to Double-A, I didn't start playing center field consistently until my second year in the Minors. Even when I came to the big leagues, I played a few games in left. I have no problem going back over there if that happens to be."

An American League All-Star last season who was acquired from the Tigers in a three-team trade in December, Granderson was thought to be a lock for center field until the Yankees traded the multipurposed Melky Cabrera to the Braves for right-hander Javier Vazquez.

That created an opening where Gardner projects as a contender for an everyday outfield spot, and some observers say the Yankees' defense could be stronger with Gardner in center field and Granderson in left, where he has appeared in 22 Major League games but none since 2007.

Manager Joe Girardi has said he is open to considering the switch this spring, but he made sure to check with Granderson over the winter to make sure he was on board.

"He called and asked, 'Hey, how do you feel about that? Be honest with me, if you don't [like it], let me know,'" Granderson said. "I said I'm able to do that, and move up and down the lineup. I've batted in every spot pretty much except the third spot. I've got no problem moving, switching, bouncing around -- whatever it happens to be."

The Yankees had speculated that Granderson would hit second, but with designated hitter Nick Johnson signed as a free agent and boasting a higher on-base percentage, Granderson might be a better fit lower in the order.

"The main thing I look at, that one time when I first come up, that's the first time I'm in that situation," Granderson said. "Every other situation is going to dictate itself. If there's guys on, you've got to drive them in. If there's not, my job is to get on base. It really doesn't matter to me too much."

Making sure to get acquainted with his new surroundings, Granderson said he spent a few days working with hitting coach Kevin Long in Arizona last month, trying to reach common ground on plate philosophy.

Granderson said one topic they discussed was his approach against left-handed pitchers; Granderson batted just .183 (33-for-180) against southpaws in 2009 and is a career .210 hitter against them.

Long told Granderson that his approach looks fine against right-handers, but his mechanics break down against left-handers, and he tries to hit the ball the other way too much, something they will work on together this spring.

"In order to get to the big leagues, I had to hit left-handed pitching," Granderson said. "I've done it. Just over the course of the past couple of years, I've run into a couple of bumps in the road. But hopefully we can go ahead and straighten that out and get things back to neutral on both sides."

If Granderson can correct that flaw, it seems reasonable for fans to get excited about what he could produce with a full season playing home games at Yankee Stadium, one year after he clubbed a career-high 30 homers for the Tigers in spacious Comerica Park.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman cautioned in December that Granderson "is not going to hit 40 home runs here," even given the more hitter-friendly park effects in the Bronx. Granderson, likewise, said that he wouldn't change his approach just for the shorter right-field porch.

"The power just kind of happens," Granderson said. "I still don't consider myself a power guy. Occasionally the ball happens to get over the fence, but whenever I go into a situation trying to hit home runs, typically the results aren't very positive.

"Whenever I just look for a pitch to drive and hit it, it happens to get over every now and then. That's still going to be the philosophy here, and I hope guys aren't predicting me to do some ridiculous amount of numbers because -- again, just look at me, I'm not that big of a guy. It just kind of happens from time to time."

Granderson said he swapped phone numbers with CC Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez at his introductory news conference in December, and has also talked to Derek Jeter since being acquired by the Yankees.

He would have liked to have said hello to more of his new teammates, but found that his cell phone directory was rather bare of Yankees -- something else Granderson is looking forward to taking care of this week.

"I had no one to call," Granderson said. "Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll see these guys and be able to exchange numbers with them."

Back to top Go down
Yanks
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger
Yanks

Male
Number of posts : 107
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Farnsworth
Registration date : 2008-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Should be an awesome year
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/callmeyanks
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedThu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Curtis Granderson is a New York Yankee

Tampa, FL on Tuesday, February 25, 2010.

(JULIAN H. GONZALEZ/DetroitFreePress)

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=2250805&Ref=PH&Item=1&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100
Former Detroit Tigers and now New York Yankees Marcus Curtis
Granderson, right, talks with new teammate Derek Jeter, left, and
Robinson Cano, center, during their workout at their spring training
facility in Tampa, FL on Tuesday, February 25, 2010.

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=2250805&Ref=PH&Item=2&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100
Curtis Granderson tapes a public service announcement then makes way
for pitcher Andy Pettitte who was next to tape at their spring training
facility in Tampa, FL on Tuesday, February 25, 2010.

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=2250805&Ref=PH&Item=4&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100
Former Detroit Tigers and now New York Yankees Curtis Granderson warms up his arm with long toss at the start of their workout.

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=2250805&Ref=PH&Item=7&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100
Former Detroit Tigers and now New York Yankees Curtis Granderson works
with other outfielders taking fly balls during their workout.

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=2250805&Ref=PH&Item=8&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100
Former Detroit Tigers and now New York Yankees Marcus Thames, left, and
Curtis Granderson work with other out fielders taking fly balls during
their workout at their spring training facility in Tampa, FL on
Tuesday, February 25, 2010.

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=2250805&Ref=PH&Item=12&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100
Marcus Curtis Granderson taking batting practice
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Eyes on Granderson, or Granderson on eyes
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on February 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Plenty has been speculated about why Curtis Granderson had certain struggles so much against lefties and got a late read on some fly balls. Some questioned his commitment to baseball, of all things. Others have questioned the coaching.

What hadn't popped up was his eyessight, at least until recently. But Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News has the story: Granderson is wearing contacts after being diagnosed with 20/30 vision.

When the trade was awaiting review of medical records, it was reported that one holdup was an eye exam the Yankees requested for Granderson, though he didn't undergo one leading up to the trade. Once the trade was completed, though, the Yankees had him take another eye exam.

Granderson isn't blaming eyesight for anything. It isn't that 20/30 is necessarily bad eyesight. For a professional baseball player trying to recognize pitches coming out of a pitcher's hand, or immediately read how well or how poorly a ball was hit off the bat, as Granderson struggled to do at times, it's easy to see how even a little problem makes a huge difference.

For what it's worth, the Tigers have players undergo eye exams each season around the start along with their physicals.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 pm

This does not surprise me.

I also think Maggs was having "stress related" eye problems last year too. The Tigers said that they kept checking Maggs eyes... but during times of stress, eyesight can be effected. As the family situation stress went down, Maggs did better.

Who knows if stress was a Grandy thing too, but 20/30 will cause problems, more so if it is in one eye and not the other. It throws off depth perception.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 5063778348_1d8977ca23_o
Yankee Curtis Granderson, right, hugs Jim Leyland, his old manager with
the Detroit Tigers, before a spring-training game in Lakeland, Fla., on
Wednesday, March 10, 2010. (AP)

Posted: 2:32 p.m. March 10, 2010
Curtis Granderson: Tigers' Web site still is one of my bookmarks

By JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Highlights of former Detroit Tiger Curtis Granderson’s pregame session with the media today:

Question: What are some comments you’ve heard from the fans during batting practice?

A: "You’re still my Tiger."

Q: What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned about the Yankees that maybe surprises you?

A: The fans. They want to win right now. That started as soon as I got down in February, with no games on the schedule. There was already talk about repeating. Rightfully so. And the amount of people coming out to watch us practice -- not even a game.

Q: What players have you gotten to know?

A:
Derek Jeter gave me a ride home from Bradenton (after an exhibition game with the Pirates). Alex Rodriguez was in the car, too.

Q: Was there a point during that ride where you said, "What’s going on?"

A: At first glance, you think, "Do I call home and tell my friends who I got a ride with?"

Derek drove. We were trying to find out how to get home. His GPS was showing up a little different than my iPhone. We were a little confused, and then we made it back.

Q: How much are you following the Tigers?

A: On my iPhone, one of my bookmarks is still the Tigers’ Web site. There’s no reason for me to delete it. I always want to see what’s going on with some of the guys because of the relationship I’ve had with them.

Q: You’re such an optimistic, forward-looking person. By the time the Tigers were going after Johnny Damon, did you give any thought to, "If they want Damon, why was I traded?"

A: I hadn’t thought about it. I knew he was a free agent. Getting Johnny Damon to any team is going to be an added help. He gets on base; he steals bases; he hits home runs; and he hits for average. So any team would have wanted to get him. The fact that Detroit wanted to get him didn’t roll into my head. I was just waiting to see where he signed.

Contact JOHN LOWE: 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at freep.com/section/blog18.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 am

Granderson not content with debut
After making final out, new addition won't savor early homer

By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com

04/05/10 1:35 AM ET

BOSTON -- It was Curtis Granderson's first real look at this thing, his first taste of the rivalry. And there he was, staring down Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon with two outs in the ninth.

Welcome to Fenway Park, Curtis.

Round 1 went to Papelbon when Granderson grounded out to put the final touches on Opening Night -- a 9-7 loss for the Yankees on Sunday. But there will be plenty more at-bats against Papelbon this season, plenty of other critical moments. And Granderson, the newest Yankees headliner, spent the first eight innings of Sunday's game proving he's up to the task.

In his first at-bat with the Yankees, Granderson blasted a solo homer into the center-field seats, sparking one of the most explosive Yankees debuts in recent memory. Granderson finished 1-for-4 with a fine catch in center field, slipping on his new road grays and contributing heavily in a losing effort.

Yet by game's end, all of those contributions had slipped into the deepest recesses of his brain.

"The [thing] that's going to be remembered is the fact that I didn't come through at the end of the game," Granderson said.

In reality, across a 162-game season, even that sour taste won't linger for long. But if Granderson can contribute on a nightly basis -- providing power, defense and speed -- the Yankees will embrace him.

Smashing debuts

Home runs in first at-bat with new team since 2005

Player______ Old_ New_ Opp._ Date
C. Granderson DET NYY BOS 4/4/10
R. Belliard WAS LAD ARI 8/31/09
B. Conrad OAK ATL WAS 7/3/09
F. Lopez STL ARI COL 4/6/09
D. Johnson OAK TB BOS 9/9/08
C. Ransom HOU NYY KC 8/17/08
R. Jorgensen FLA CIN CHC 8/15/07
R. Branyan SD PHI WAS 8/14/07
M. Morris SF PIT CIN 8/4/07
L. Terrero BAL CWS SEA 5/1/07
D. Erstad LAA CWS CLE 4/2/07
Q. McCracken SEA CIN STL 4/16/06
B. Arroyo BOS CIN CHC 4/5/06
G. Gross TOR MIL PIT 4/4/06
M. Piazza NYM SD SF 4/3/06
F. Thomas CWS OAK NYY 4/3/06
R. Petagine BOS SEA ANA 4/3/06
M. Olivo SEA SD PIT 8/3/05
J. Payton BOS OAK TEX 7/15/05
P. Wilson COL WAS MIL 7/14/05
K. Cash TOR TB MIL 6/15/05
S. Fasano LAA BAL CWS 5/15/05
R. Sexson ARI SEA MIN 4/4/05
J. Cruz TB ARI CHC 4/4/05

Granderson's first such impact came in the second inning, when Sox starter Josh Beckett began to unravel. With two outs and no one on, Granderson drilled a Beckett pitch to the deepest part of Fenway Park, just to the right of the center-field triangle. Not since Cody Ransom in 2008 had a Yankees player homered in his first at-bat with the team, and not since Dave Winfield and Steve Kemp in 1983 had a pair of Yankees gone back-to-back on Opening Day, as Granderson and Jorge Posada did in the second.

And so Granderson rounded the bases, savored the moment and did his best to forget it.

"Considering it was so early in the game, you really can't get the emotion too high on it," Granderson said. "As exciting as it is, you've got to go ahead and calm down real quick, because you've got to go play defense."

Which he did. With aplomb. In the bottom half of the inning, Granderson made a fine leaping catch of Adrian Beltre's sacrifice fly, helping stunt Boston's first rally of the game.

The season was less than an hour old. And in a world of small sample sizes and overreactions, Granderson was a king.

No one doubted Granderson's raw power when the Yankees traded for him back in December, sending highly regarded prospect Austin Jackson to Detroit as part of a seven-player, three-team deal. But Granderson has always been a line-drive gap hitter -- good for 20-something homers, along with doubles and triples galore. The outfielder's extreme lifetime splits against left-handers -- just 16 homers and a .344 slugging percentage in 619 at-bats -- have hampered his overall power numbers.

A move to hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium, a paradise for left-handed batters, hinted at a slight uptick in Granderson's homer totals.

But this was not Yankee Stadium. And Granderson's homer was not a line drive. To hit it where he did takes some serious power.

And to get the better of Papelbon takes some serious skill. After Posada singled with two outs in the ninth, making Granderson the potential tying run, Papelbon started him off with a fastball at the knees. Granderson fouled off the next pitch, then took a ball inside before sending a weak grounder to third.

Game over. But the season had just begun.

"We want to be victorious," Granderson said. "No matter what you did out there, at the end of the day, it's going to be, 'What did the Yankees do?' Not, 'What did Curtis Granderson do?' And we lost today. I had a chance to keep the inning going, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it done."

Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSat May 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Granderson headed to DL with groin strain
Center fielder injured on the bases; Melancon recalled

By Tim Britton / MLB.com

05/01/10 7:46 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The first month of the Yankees' season had gone about as smoothly as Curtis Granderson looks when he glides around the bases. But on the first day of May, Granderson and the Bombers' swift start pulled up lame.

The center fielder left Saturday's 7-6 loss to the White Sox in the sixth inning with a strained left groin, suffered while going from first to third on Brett Gardner's RBI single. He was taken to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital for an MRI during the game. Granderson was diagnosed with a Grade 2 strain and will be placed on the 15-day disabled list.

The Yankees will recall right-hander Mark Melancon from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. This season, he is 3-0 with a 1.76 ERA in 10 relief appearances.

Even before hearing the results, manager Joe Girardi wasn't optimistic about a quick recovery.

"He's probably going to be DL," Girardi said. "On his way to second when he reached for the bag, he felt it. He said he didn't feel a pop, but it just kind of grabbed at him."

Randy Winn replaced Granderson on the basepaths, scoring on Derek Jeter's groundout, and Gardner moved over to take his spot in center field.

The Yankees knew something was wrong immediately after Granderson rounded second base, when he pulled up and hopped to third safely. There was not much of a consultation before he left the game for good.

"When you're running the bases and you pull up like that, you know it's not good," Mark Teixeira said. "It's unfortunate but part of the game. We have to just fight through it."

Girardi said Gardner would "probably be the center fielder no matter what" while Granderson is out. Winn and Marcus Thames will get the extra time in left field.

"I'm going to come in every day like I'm going to play," said Thames, who is batting .550 in platoon duty so far this season. "That's what I do. I don't change anything."

Granderson has missed time twice before with injuries -- in 2004 with a sprained ankle and in 2008 with a fractured hand.

"Curtis has been our outfield captain for us in center field all year," Nick Swisher said. "Anytime you're talking about something like that -- a groin -- you want to come back healthy. You don't want anything like that to come back."

Granderson went 1-for-3 on Saturday to raise his season average to .225.

Tim Britton is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 18, 2010 12:16 am

Former Tiger Granderson calls reunion 'fun'

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

08/17/10 6:30 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Curtis Granderson isn't looking for vindication against his old squad. He isn't looking to prove anything to Detroit. At this point, with his swing a work in progress, he's looking for hits.

From that standpoint, Monday was a very good day for him against his former teammates. Tuesday got off to a pretty good start, too.

"It was fun to get a chance to play against guys that have been my teammates for so long," Granderson said Tuesday afternoon. "Now we're doing battle where it means something versus Spring Training, where everybody's just getting work in. Would've liked to win, but it was interesting to play defense behind those guys, offense at those guys."

The Tigers didn't retire Granderson at the plate Monday night. He had two singles, a double and a walk. After Austin Jackson, Granderson's successor leading off and playing center field for Detroit, led off Tuesday's game with his second home run of the year, Granderson turned in back-to-back highlight catches to rob Ramon Santiago and Johnny Damon of base hits. He then followed with a leadoff homer of his own in the second off longtime teammate Justin Verlander.

The Tigers traded Granderson to the Yankees last December to acquire Jackson and left-hander Phil Coke. The results so far have been solid for Detroit, which feels it has a future star in Jackson and a solid reliever in Coke.

Granderson has had a disappointing start to his first season in New York, but has been coming on recently. Monday marked his fourth three-hit game of the season, but his first since July 8, and it raised his batting average seven points on the year to .247. His work with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Young has resulted in a more efficient swing, eliminating wasted motion.

While Granderson said he retains fond memories of Detroit, he said he feels more and more settled into New York. He still has one more reunion he's looking forward to, though.

"I'm looking forward to my first game in Detroit, whenever that happens," Granderson said.

The Yankees went to Detroit earlier this season while Granderson was on the disabled list. Unless the teams face off in the postseason, that won't happen until next season.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Granderson, Thames remember tiebreaker
Beck's Blog
Posted on October 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM

One year ago Wednesday, The Tigers and Twins were down to a one-game battle to try to get into the postseason, and needed extra innings to do it. The ramifications of that AL Central tiebreaker still linger with the two clubs today. The Twins are building on a potential division dynasty, now coming into the AL Division Series against the Yankees. The Tigers are still building to try to get back.

Two guys in Minneapolis right now to try to beat the Twins in the postseason Wednesday night know that pretty well. That tiebreaker loss on the other side of downtown at the Metrodome was the final game in a Tigers uniform for Curtis Granderson and Marcus Thames.

"I think it's arguably one of the best games I've ever been a part of," Granderson said Tuesday, "even though we came up on the losing side of things. But the ups and downs, the back and forths, the long innings in that game, I wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world.

"I certainly hope we don't have that for all five games here. It's going to be a real long series [if we do]. But to be in a situation and have a chance, that's exactly where you want to be, and I think that's where both teams are right at this point right now."

By both teams, he meant the Twins and Yankees, of course. While Granderson went to New York in the Austin Jackson trade last December, Marcus Thames signed as a free agent after Detroit released him.

Thames did not play in the tiebreaker loss, or in any of the final three scheduled regular season games that led into it. The fact that he didn't start in the tiebreaker despite his success off starter Scott Baker (8-for-26 at the time wth four home runs and six RBIs) lingered with him. He's moved on, but he still hasn't forgotten it. Thames did face Baker in his final game as a Tiger, but it was five days earlier at Comerica Park, where he went 1-for-2 with a single and a hit-by-pitch.

"I was a little upset I didn't get to play in that last game," Thames said. "With my career numbers off Baker, it didn't sit too well in my stomach.
But I was a team guy. I sat up there and rooted for the team. But it's a whole different story. I turned that page when it was over, and I'm ready to chip in and contribute with the Yankees. Being able to face these guys pretty much through my career, I pretty much know how they're going to try to pitch me and stuff. So I get a chance to go out and compete."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Granderson Tracker   Curtis Granderson Tracker - Page 11 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Curtis Granderson Tracker
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11