DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Umpires balk at background checks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Umpires balk at background checks Empty
PostSubject: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Interesting article on MLB.com about how the umpires don't like having background checks done by MLB: Like I said on the Tigers Board: If they don't like it, let them umpire softball games: They already have the shirts and jackets for it:
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 pm

That's too bad. Everyone else has to have a background check!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:31 pm

I hear ya! But they are upset by it: You can't blame MLB: in the aftermath of the NBA referee scandal: What is wrong with making sure everything is on the up and up: The Umpires should have nothing to hide:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:34 pm

If you don't have anything to hide, what's wrong with a background check? Hell if the grocery store wanted me to have a background check before I could shop there I wouldn't care.

I got one recently from somewhere that was going to hire me but didn't. The results were rather odd:

From birth until December, 2006 I lived at one address.
From January 2007-present I lived at my dad's house.

I found that odd since I've never stayed there for more than a couple nights in a row - he only lives 5 miles from my mom...no reason to stay there.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:38 pm

I have to have a background check just so I can chaperone one of my kid's field trips. Which, I'm not bitching, I think that's a great idea by our schools, but I'm just saying...what is so bad about background checks?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Better safe than sorry
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:44 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I have to have a background check just so I can chaperone one of my kid's field trips. Which, I'm not bitching, I think that's a great idea by our schools, but I'm just saying...what is so bad about background checks?

My schools never did that. I guess they want criminals/pedophiles on field trips. I remember one year my dad took me to school because I stayed at his house the night before. Anyways, he came to my class for some reason. As he was leaving the teacher said they could use some more chaperones so he went....to a nuclear power plant. You'd think they'd want a background check for that. Then again, we didn't get to go inside so it was a pretty stupid trip. We got to see a replica of one of the control things and that was about it.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Look at the shooting that happened in Wisconsin for example
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:45 pm

A trip to a Nuclear Power Plant? That sounds like something out a Simpsons episode; LOL!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:46 pm

The background checks for chaperoning at our school are fairly new, they've only been doing it for the past 2-3 years or so. My husband had to have one last year.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:46 pm

gs78 wrote:
A trip to a Nuclear Power Plant? That sounds like something out a Simpsons episode; LOL!

The problem was we didn't get to go inside! We went to a room outside that was a replica of something like Homer's office. We got to watch some stupid videos. Diablo Canyon is only like 30 miles from my school.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:47 pm

gs78 wrote:
Better safe than sorry

I totally agree. It's a very good idea. You can't just jump on a bus with the kids anymore.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:49 pm

What a lame field trip! Are you putting us on Catbox! LOL! I guess it is better than a day of school classes I guess!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:49 pm

i would love to see the inside of one of those plants! That would be cool
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:50 pm

gs78 wrote:
What a lame field trip! Are you putting us on Catbox! LOL! I guess it is better than a day of school classes I guess!

It was a pretty gay trip. We were supposed to go one day but it got cancelled due to rain. We got to go another time and it sucked. My dad didn't think it was too bad, but he doesn't like to complain about things that suck when you were expecting them not to. To make matters worse I had to go again the next year. My mom went and she complained a lot!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:52 pm

LOL! Well at least you didn't get to go to some stupid farm like I did and see nothing but cows and their stinky poop.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:55 pm

I don't blame your mom! LOL! Why not just go to baseball game instead!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:57 pm

SoulRat wrote:
LOL! Well at least you didn't get to go to some stupid farm like I did and see nothing but cows and their stinky poop.

We did some pretty shitty field trips. We once went to city hall. We went to the police station and saw a jail cell (they wouldn't let us inside it though). We went to Paso Robles (my hometown once). There's an agricultural museum there for some reason and we went there. I so wanted to sneak out - that museum is like 4 blocks from my house. I can't believe it's still there, either - the downtown is actually really nice in Paso.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 6:59 pm

Bah, when we were at the farm, they told us to watch out if the cow's tails started going up. And they did... I would take a museum over a pooping cow anyday :lol:
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Me, too LOL
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedSat Oct 13, 2007 7:13 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Bah, when we were at the farm, they told us to watch out if the cow's tails started going up. And they did... I would take a museum over a pooping cow anyday :lol:

Yeah, but they could at least take us to a good museum like the Louvre or something...
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_minipostedWed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 am

SoulRat wrote:

How about a pooping cow Museum?? confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Umpires balk at background checks   Umpires balk at background checks Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Umpires balk at background checks
Page 1 of 1