DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ben-Hur (1959)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 2:43 pm

Ben-Hur is awesome. The chariot race was phenomenal...and Heston did all his own stunts in that film!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 3:14 pm

Ben-Hur
95/100!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 3:16 pm

a really powerful Easter season movie!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 4:21 am

I created a new thread and added a score to the database...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 am

This was on TCM today. I DVR'd it. It might take me a while to watch due to its length but for sure I'll see it before 9/11 when I leave LA for good.

On a side note, Robert Osborne on TCM sort of ruined it for me rant Apparently there's an 11 minute Chariot Race that was quite famous (I didn't know that No ). Contrary to popular belief, nobody was killed in the filming of that scene.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 4:15 am

No one killed, but very harrowing, as you will see. It's De Mille at his best.
Great story line too. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 4:50 am

laprimamirala wrote:
Awesome movie! I've seen that a couple of times already. Everytime (normally Easter season) it's on TV and i see it, i have to watch it again!

Definitely 95.5/100
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 5:15 am

swiss_tiger wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:
Awesome movie! I've seen that a couple of times already. Everytime (normally Easter season) it's on TV and i see it, i have to watch it again!

Definitely 95.5/100

With that review, Ben-Hur is now tied with Das Boot for the DTF1 bronze medal. Whenever I get around to watching it (probably within the next month) I'll break the tie - I award half points, but not quarter points therefore I cannot award a score of 95.25 so the rating must change one way or the other. Of course by then something else could score a 95.5+ and knock both of them out of the bronze medal position.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedWed Jul 16, 2008 8:51 pm

Ben-Hur tells the story of a man, Jonah Ben-Hur, who has been arrested along with his sister and mother. The story tells his journey to try and find his family. It is sort of like The Odyssey in the sense there is a long, epic journey across thousands of miles to do this. At nearly four hours in length, it is rather difficult to keep the plot going and this film does feel a little slow at times, especially in the first half of the film. After the entr'acte the film begins to pick up quite a bit.

The film stars Charlton Heston and a cast of several others. As is typical for an epic film, the lead has a very complex role to play and I'd say Heston played it well. The other actors, when present, also do a good job. While Heston deservedly won the Academy Award for best actor, I am a little surprised that Hugh Griffith won for Best Supporting Actor. While he did a good enough job in this film, he hardly had any screen time and even for a supporting actor his role seemed kind of minor. Then again, it seems like every time I see a film with a best supporting actor I question the decision so I'm probably not the best judge of who is deserving of that award or what a supporting actor actually is.

One area of the film worth mentioning specifically is the famous chariot race scene which runs for around eleven minutes. This scene, one of the most memorable in cinema history, is very well-done and along with the chase scene in Bullitt is probably one of the best race scenes I've ever seen. Even more amazing is the fact that there was no CGI or anything of the sort in 1959.

While I am not a religious person at all, I think the religion was presented in a subtle enough way as to not be distracting. I didn't really like the miracle at the end of the movie, but it is a religious story so I can't really complain too much about that.

Overall, this was significantly better than the only other Heston film I've seen, Soylent Green. Despite the fact the first half was tedious at times and it got a little overly-preachy at times for my liking, this is still a good movie overall and definitely worth seeing.

84/100
B

UP NEXT: Either I'll continue with Best Picture winners and move to the following year's winner, The Apartment or I'll go with Witness for the Prosecution.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedWed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

What I was amazed with is Stephen Boyd got hardly a nod for his role as Masala (sp?).
There were no stunt guys for Boyd or Heston, either. Those horses were incredibly well trained.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedWed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
What I was amazed with is Stephen Boyd got hardly a nod for his role as Masala (sp?).
There were no stunt guys for Boyd or Heston, either. Those horses were incredibly well trained.

Yeah, before I won this I saw that one of the awards won was Best Supporting Actor. Until I read the wikipedia article after watching the film I was quite surprised that Stephen Boyd wasn't the winner - I had assumed he'd won it the whole time I saw the movie.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedWed Jul 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Another big slight was Haya Harareet in the role of Esther. She played that role so well, so believably. She really didn't do too much afterward either.

It would be great to see either Ben-Hur or the Ten Commandments in a drive-in theater with the sun setting as a backdrop! That's how these epics were meant to be seen! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_minipostedWed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Another big slight was Haya Harareet in the role of Esther. She played that role so well, so believably. She really didn't do too much afterward either.

It would be great to see either Ben-Hur or the Ten Commandments in a drive-in theater with the sun setting as a backdrop! That's how these epics were meant to be seen! Big Smile

I was thinking about seeing The Ten Commandments (either one, the silent and talkie are both De Mille's). I've never seen a De Mille movie (unless you count Sunset Blvd. where he acted and was brilliant as he stood there letting Gloria Swanson say she was ready for her close-up....actually he wasn't brilliant there, he just didn't get in the way of Swanson's brilliance).

There's also a silent version of Ben-Hur that has decent reviews.

And yes, Drive-Ins rock! Sadly the nearest one to my house is 30 miles and the second nearest one is 60 miles Frown There used to be one 5 miles from my house but it closed about 30 years ago and became an empty lot/ site of a swap meet before it was finally converted into a Target and shopping area about 10 years ago.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Harareet is still alive Nod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ben-Hur (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)   Ben-Hur (1959) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Ben-Hur (1959)
Page 1 of 1