DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The 400 Blows (1959)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The 400 Blows (1959) Empty
PostSubject: The 400 Blows (1959)   The 400 Blows (1959) Icon_minipostedTue May 05, 2009 3:46 am

François Truffaut's The 400 Blows (Les Quatre Cents Coups) tells the story of a young French boy. His parents lead busy lives and don't have much time to notice him. The boy's teacher typecasts him as a troublemaker and his parents assume he'll forever be a failure. While the boy does does misbehave often, there are moments in the film when he genuinely tries to do a good job. Despite these efforts, he is still punished as these good intentions are interpreted as further misbehaving. While this film did not have very many particularly important events, I found the plot rather engaging.

The star of this film is played by 14-year-old Jean-Pierre Léaud. While I generally despise child actors, particularly ones playing leads in the film, I found Léaud's performance to be quite impressive, perhaps the best of any child actor I've seen. There are several other important actors in this film, but Léaud's performance is the one that stands out most.

Stylistically, this film is a prominent example of the French New Wave and features several characteristic aspects of this movement. First, the film employs quite a few tracking shots. Some of the most memorable scenes in the film, including the famous ending, feature a camera on wheels tracking the movement of the actors. Furthermore, the films is mostly existential in nature. Rather than focusing on a particularly memorable series of events, the film takes a close look at the conditions of the existence of the main character.

Overall, I found this film rather enjoyable. Not only is the film's basic premise enjoyable, but the stylistic and thematic elements are equally worthwhile. For these reasons, the film is now regarded as a rather important film in the history of cinema. Based on what I have seen in this film and Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless, I must say I find French New Wave films quite enjoyable. I would regard this film as slightly inferior to Breathless, but not by much. It is definitely worth seeing for those that have not yet seen it.

92/100
A-
Back to top Go down

The 400 Blows (1959)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: