DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Some Like it Hot (1959)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Some Like it Hot (1959) Empty
PostSubject: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 18, 2008 1:33 am

This film, the second consecutive Billy Wilder film I've reviewed, stars Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon playing women along with Marilyn Monroe. Curtis and Lemmon witness a murder and need to get out of town and the only way out is to play in an all-woman's band headed for Florida. This plot was all well and good until they actually got to Florida. I guess they needed something else to happen in this film so both Lemmon and Curtis decided to find love interests. This seemed entirely unnecessary as these romances appeared to have no shot at working and were almost mean-spirited. I won't reveal what ends up happening, but I didn't really care for any of this and it significantly detracts from the movie as a whole.

As women, Lemmon and Curtis do a pretty good job. The film was shot in black and white to help hide the fact that they were men and they were fairly believable as women not just in their clothing, but also in the way they acted. Marilyn Monroe did a pretty good job and was actually a better actress than I was expecting. Other than a brief cameo in All About Eve, this is the first time I had seen her in a film.

Overall, this had some funny moments, but overall I didn't care for it all that much. The American Film Institute ranks this as the best comedy of all-time and I'm not sure I agree. I haven't seen many comedies, but Harvey and The Apartment were both better. Still, it's watchable and a person who tends to enjoy comedies would probably find this enjoyable.

70/100
C-

UP NEXT: Yet another Billy Wilder film, Ace in the Hole.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 am

Watching that tonight?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 18, 2008 1:44 am

cdurbfan22 wrote:
Watching that tonight?

I already watched it, that's how I wrote the review.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 am

I meant the second movie. Wink
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 18, 2008 1:48 am

cdurbfan22 wrote:
I meant the second movie. Wink

Oh, duh Smack Yeah, I'll probably watch it tonight as it's short (112 min).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_minipostedFri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 am

Like I said...have fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Like it Hot (1959)   Some Like it Hot (1959) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Some Like it Hot (1959)
Page 1 of 1