DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations

Go down 
+4
GoGetEmTigers
catbox_9
laprimamirala
bobrob2004
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 10:58 am

It's hard to envision other viewpoints when you have traditions that you've always known.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 am

I know it has made me re-evaluate a lot of traditions I grew up with, concerning Easter. Change is hard. But where I can, I have changed from tradition to what the Bible says. My cousin is going through the same thing, I just praise God that her church has started investigating why they do the things they do, and are speaking out, when they find contradictions with what their church does, or used to do, and what the Bible says.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 am

The hardest realization for me was that my parents just bought into this stuff! (was brought up Methodist) I wonder if they ever questioned anything...
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 11:46 am

It seems that many churches are trying to gain the "Holiness" that was present in the first church. This includes the new list of sins that you listed from the Roman Catholic church. Praise the Lord! We, mere humans, want the church to accept things secular man says is normal. This is an abomination to The Father in Heaven.

Quote :
The new deadly sins include polluting, genetic engineering, being obscenely rich, drug dealing, abortion, pedophilia and causing social injustice.

polluting - desecration of God creation

genetic engineering - Playing god, it is causing all sorts of long range problems.

being obscenely rich - "Love of money", sort of against God, ya think! God gives so we can help others...

drug dealing - definitely a big sin, how many people die from the unknown stuff these people have handed out!

abortion - God actually is involved in the creation of new life, in the womb. If you mess around when God says to wait until Marriage, you suffer the consequence. The only Biblically acceptable way of dealing with unwanted pregnancy is to raise the child, or offer the child up for adoption. We, not God, have made abortion a method of birth control. God never did make it a "woman's right."

pedophilia - need we say more, It is a great sin.

causing social injustice - this is a personal sin that we all need to work on I would really like them to further define this.

I praise the Roman Catholic Church on their new stance, even if it is unpopular with many people.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:03 pm

That was some interesting stuff, GoGetEmTigers!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks Brob.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 pm

I just don't understand how after all this time the church can decide that we need to change the SEVEN DEADLY SINS. It's not like a story that you got bored of so you changed the ending, it is the rules. And I don't u nderstand why we as God's people should have the power to decide what the deadly sins are.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 2:24 pm

I am Catholic too, but like most here, I don't agree with everything they say either. Besides, who's to say who really made up some of the "rules". Like Ohio said, I just try to be the best person I can (sometimes I'm not, like EVERYONE else). I don't always go to church, but when I do I have a special feeling that God is there and it feels good to me and I also feel a connection to people in my life that have died. I feel that your life is between you and God and not everyone else and their opinions.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 4:47 pm

tigersgirl wrote:
I just don't understand how after all this time the church can decide that we need to change the SEVEN DEADLY SINS. It's not like a story that you got bored of so you changed the ending, it is the rules. And I don't u nderstand why we as God's people should have the power to decide what the deadly sins are.

Actually we don't have the right to decide what is sin and what isn't. The seven deadly sins were explained by Godly men, as they studied the Holy Scriptures. As time goes on, new things happen that society says is ok, but the church never dreamed would occure in the "future." The church leaders look at today's changing issues, compare them to the Scriptures, which DO NOT CHANGE, and see how they stack up with the Scriptures. When they see man accepting sin, as defined in the Bible, they then have to indicate the stance the church must take, to let the believers know that the new practices are against God's laws.

I agree with you as to what is a deadly law and what isn't. As long as we do what the Bible says to do, and have personally accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior, we are in God's grace, but when we sin (as defined by the Bible) we MUST ask God's forgivness and repent (turn away) from doing it again.

The church is just trying to help you know what is not acceptable to God.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 4:53 pm

If people can't figure out that it is acceptable they will do it, and if they don't, they probably won't. I don't think if someone was going to do something their opinion actions would be affected by whether it's is a deadly sin or not. Honestly, I think if someone was going to do something that we consider to be a deadly sin they wouldn't care.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 pm

tigersgirl wrote:
If people can't figure out that it is acceptable they will do it, and if they don't, they probably won't. I don't think if someone was going to do something their opinion actions would be affected by whether it's is a deadly sin or not. Honestly, I think if someone was going to do something that we consider to be a deadly sin they wouldn't care.

True, if someone is not a Christian, they really don't care. God's opinion, nor ours, means anything to them. But if you are a Christian, you have the great comforting, guiding Holy Spirit inside you to help direct you. He will make you miserable when you sin, so that you will want to ask God to forgive you. We all sometimes resist Him, after sinning, but in the end we normally relent to His proding and do the right thing.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Mar 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Lenten services in my little town...

I went to our "Fellowship of Churches" Unity service Sunday night, as well as Mon, and Tues nights. We have Roman Catholic, Nazarene, Methodist, Presbyterian, Disciples of Christ and charismatic churches that all get together and do works of help for the needy, of the area, and have national guest speakers come in and do Biblical teachings for the Lenten season.

This year we have Dr. H. B. London, who is a member of, and relative of James Dobson and his ministry. It is great since Catholic and Protestant churches put aside their differences and study the Bible in a pure way! He spoke on Forgiveness and the Unity of rhe Family.

Sometimes issues come up that I am sure challenge each church, in the way they do things, but the Holy Spirit is in control and it is neat seeing a blend of our worship styles mixed together and beautiful Christian growth emerges!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3