DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations

Go down 
+4
GoGetEmTigers
catbox_9
laprimamirala
bobrob2004
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Empty
PostSubject: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 10:26 am

Irish eyes might be smiling a bit earlier for some St. Patrick's Day celebrants this year.

That's because a quirk in this year's calendar puts St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week, the week preceding Easter when Catholic Church rules dictate that no mass can be celebrated in honor of any saint -- Patrick included.

The fact that it has caught some people by surprise should be no surprise: It's the first time since 1940 that St. Patrick's Day, March 17, has fallen during Holy Week, the church's most somber time. And it won't happen again until 2160.

In some cities, including Philadelphia and Savannah, Ga., parades and other more secular St. Patrick's Day celebrations have been moved up.

The Irish Times in Dublin, Ireland, reported that Rome allowed the country to move the celebration of its patron saint to March 15.

In Detroit, the Most Holy Trinity Church on Porter Street in Corktown is to hold a mass March 14, although the Rev. Russell Kohler said he is not taking issue with groups that choose to celebrate St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week.

He noted that members of the church will participate in Detroit's St. Patrick's Day Parade on March 16.

"We're boycotting nothing," Kohler said. "Everybody's heart's in the same place."

The church, which has traditional ties to the area's Irish community, is to hold "a mass for stragglers" on March 17, although it is to be designated as a memorial to church members who have died, he said.

Corinna Weber, a spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Detroit, said Most Holy Trinity Church is believed to be the only church in the archdiocese to move its mass in response to St. Patrick's Day falling during Holy Week.

But she noted that no dispensation would be granted to allow local Catholics to eat meat on that Friday, March 14. Catholics are expected to abstain from eating meat on Fridays during Lent, the 40 days preceding Easter, meaning the traditional corned beef and cabbage fare for the day won't be allowed that Friday.

While some dioceses might make a pronouncement about when to celebrate this year's St. Patrick's Day, Detroit's hasn't.

"In some dioceses where St. Patrick is the patron saint maybe they would, but not here," Weber said.

The patron saint of the Archdiocese of Detroit is St. Anne, the grandmother of Jesus and the patroness of women in labor, housewives, grandmothers, Canada and cabinetmakers, she said.

But church concerns about St. Patrick's Day events did not sway one local man, whose café is hosting a singing marathon March 15-17 of the traditional Irish air "Danny Boy." A.J. O'Neil, owner of A.J.'s Café in Ferndale, said he would hope that religiously inclined people would give his event their blessing instead of criticizing him.

"I empathize, but I don't think we're gonna go to hell for singing 'Danny Boy,' " he said.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 1:02 pm

No hell for you!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Hmm....

I'm not Catholic but I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day either. I'll wear green though if I remember.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 2:07 pm

I was Catholic...well, we won't go there!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 5:51 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
I was Catholic...well, we won't go there!

Never was catholic, but I am a Christian, but have Catholic friends. Never realized how confusing the Catholic church beliefs are. WOW.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 6:06 pm

And can be very contradictory!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 6:08 pm

Here's an example:
On Ash Wednesday, every year without fail, the reading is Jesus admonishing the disciples to not show that they are fasting...do not put on a show...your Father sees what you do in private...and then ashes get put on everyone's forehead! It totally contradicts the reading!
(if anyone is Catholic and disagrees they can PM me and we can discuss...I was Catholic for 7 years and could never figure this out.)
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 7:22 pm

That is just one of many, but you find these kinds of things in many Denominations. We need to stick to the Bible, and not man made laws. This is also a teaching of Jesus. Tragically, man has a way of corrupting God's pure Word, over the years. God warned us of this, in the Bible. His foreknowledge knew man would do this. Just study the 7 churches in the book of Revelation, each one can relate to a time peiod in church history, as well as being actual churches during that time.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Neutral
Kinda weird and sad at the same time.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm not all that religious at all, but why is it that rules can change?

What happened to purgatory? How can that just disappear? It seems to me that purgatory is a fundamental belief of Catholicism and then poof! It's gone! That'd be like Hindis (is that the correct word over Hindus?) deciding karma is a load of Censored or Buddhists deciding reincarnation isn't accurate.

While I'm on the subject of religion, I found a quote from the Dalai Lama that I liked:
"If....[it was proved] that any Buddhist belief was wrong we would adjust our beliefs accordingly".

Spoiler:

I think that's a great quote. I doubt leaders of most religions would ever state that but if you accept something without proof AND refuse to stop accepting it when there is adequate evidence against it there's a real flaw in thinking.

I mean I believe that if I drop something gravity will make it fall, but if can be proved otherwise I'd have no problem refuting my belief in gravity.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 7:41 pm

Purgatory didn't disappear...it's just been played down tremendously. The concept of Limbo has disappeared, though. I also didn't like the way I was treated by many priests once I married a divorced man who didn't get his marriage annulled in the Church. I had pretty much slaved for the Church for a good 7-8 years and this was the way I was treated...pretty much like I was in the commuter lane on my way to Hell.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedWed Mar 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Quote :
Kinda weird and sad at the same time.

I know, after studing at a non-denominational seminary, for my Masters, I was in classes with church members and Pastors of just about every denomination. What an experence it was. Each person brought into discussions the way something was done in "their church" and I loved our profs, they told us to back up the belief with the Bible!

They taught me to be discerning as to "what does the Bible actually say", in the origional languages, and to then use Biblical terms as Jesus used them. When we discussed terms, it turned out most churches believe the same things, they may just use different names for stuff.

I came to appreciate my brothers and sisters, in Christ, in a new way, but it also helped us all see where each denomination has gone sort of astray....

When ever we move, I now investigate a church differently before associating with them. But I accept all true believers in a more pure way.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedThu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 am

I have been both a Baptist...and a Catholic. Talk about 2 TOTALLY different sets of beliefs!! OMG! TO compare them would be like comparing Ozzy Ozborne to Shania Twain!

For example:

Baptist - Alcoholic beverages are the drink of the devil and anyone who partakes is going to hell!

Catholic - Wine is used to celebrate life and death...for after death begins the new life in heaven.

Baptist - Divorced, married, seperated, living together...everyone can become a member of the Baptist faith.

Catholic - If you're divorced, your going to hell! (well...not really...but that's how they treat you.) ANd I'm not EVEN going to touch their opinion of gays/lesbians!!

Ummmmm...Tooooooo confusing for me!!!!! I dunno which way to go!! Either way...one of the groups is gonna have me going to hell...so I just take it all with a grain of salt, do my own thing, live right (well...mostly anway...lol) and hope that I haven't screwed up too badly to burn in hell with Hitler. affraid

*edit* something I just thought of...since someone mentioned "rules being changed"....I remember hearing a while back that the Catholic rule about not eating Meat on Friday during Lent was "given a back seat" to JFK during his presidency! The Pope told him it was ok for him (JFK) to eat meat on Friday if he wanted to! Supposedly...it was because if JFK were to ever travel to a non-christian country during lent and was offered dinner that included meat...he wouldn't offend them by turning down the food or invitation. CRAZY
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedThu Mar 06, 2008 3:00 am

I am part Irish and Catholic!

However I don't agree with the Catholic Church!

Nor am I a big fan of the Pope either! The guy was a member of the German Nazi Military as a teenager [ he later deserted]

Pope John Paul fought the Nazis; this guy fought for them.

If the Catholic Church was really progressive, they would have picked a Cardinal from Africa or Latin America as the new pontiff
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedThu Mar 06, 2008 6:31 am

It definitely is not keeping in touch with its people.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedThu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 am

I've been

Nazarene-
(the same beliefs as Methodist) Never know if you are saved, depends on the day and your attitude and sin, yet if entirely Sanctified, you can't sin - you only make mistakes (yet the Bible says we sin daily and must repent daily) I asked them, If you are entirely sanctified and can't sin, then how can you say you can still go to hell once sanctified!) :shrug:

Christian Church
- (1) sometimes teach only they are going to heaven. (2) If, between the time you accept Christ, as your personal Saviour, and you are water baptized, you were to die -- you go to hell. Bible says we should be Baptized, but once you accept Christ, you are saved, the water baptism is an outward sign of your inward change, and if you are going to be Baptized but die before it takes place, you are not damned to hell.

Non-Denom Pentecostal - I very much enjoy their services, but most make you a second class citizen if you are not "Baptized in fire and the Holy Spirit" and show outward sign of speaking in tongues. Well, this can take place, but scripturally this is the same as totally yielding to God and being "Filled with the Holy Spirit" (or called Entire Sanctification in Nazarene church). I do not put down those that speak in prayer tongues, but the Greek says "Being Filled" is a daily thing and really should be translated "Keep on being filled." Some days we are not yielding to God as much and are not filled, and when we pray for repentance and asked to be filled again, we are, and the sign is the "Fruit of the Spirit" in our lives. "Fruit of the Spirit" is a biblical term that sums up the nine visible attributes of a true Christian life. Using the King James Version of Galatians 5:22-23, these attributes are: love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance.

We are all baptized in the spirit and given the indwelling of the Holy Spirit when we accept Christ. (see "Be filled with the Spirit" for further explanation.)

Southern Baptist (SBC)- there are really two forms of Southern Baptist now. Traditional and Contemporary. I like the contemporary version as developed by "Rick Warren" and described in his book "Purpose Driven Church." What is neat about it, is pastors from just about ALL denominations (including Catholic) have taken his classes on being a Purpose driven church. It is still a "Holiness church" (where they teach you should live a holy life) but with grace (Alcoholic beverages are NOT the drink of the devil, but we should not get drunk) and allows the more Joyful worship style as found in Pentecostal churches, but without the second class citizen attitude if you don't speak in tongues!

This form of Southern Baptist is developing more and more across America, (since each SBC church is self owned and governed) and depends on the pastor, but can be found since it is a rapidally growing movement.

And as to the saying thrown against Baptist (or Calvinistic oriented churches) That they believe "Once Saved, Always Saved" and that you can do what ever you want after being saved and not lose your salvation....... This is a bad rap devised by other denominations to slam the Baptist faith! My saying is "Once saved, always saved, If truly saved." The difference is that a "saved person, who is indwelt with the Holy Spirit still sins, but we should sin less and less as we grow more Christlike. We are made miserable by the Holy Spirit, who is with us, when we sin, and thus will repent and ask God to forgive us allowing us to grow. If a person says they are saved, yet sin, and it does not bother them, then I have to ask if they really have truly asked Jesus to come into their lives to be their savior and king!

If this does not make sense to you, and you ave questions, feel free to PM me and I will try to help.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Organized Religion is a sham and a crutch for people;
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 5:40 pm

You can pray and read the bible anywhere! I don't need someone telling me I am going to hell if I don't attend church every Sunday or don't put enough money in the collection plate
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 5:41 pm

My Parents forced Religion on me throughout my Childhood. I was baptized, had communion and confirmation and attended Catholic school for a number of years!

I had no say in it!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 7:08 pm

gs78 wrote:
You can pray and read the bible anywhere! I don't need someone telling me I am going to hell if I don't attend church every Sunday or don't put enough money in the collection plate

Well the Scriptures tell us that we need to congregate together with fellow believers. But you are correct, "You can pray and read the Bible anywhere"

The early church, and many believers today have "home church groups" that get together on a regular basis to be obedient to God in this matter. Many people have been harmed by un-Biblical "man made" church organization rules.

Don't turn away from Church, GS! Just try to find a good group of believers who are trying to worhip the Lord in a more pure manner. These groups normally seperate the sin from the person and accept you where you are in your journey and are there to help you grow.

As it was revealed to me, Christianity was never supposed to be a "Religion", it is a way of life. And God wants nothing to stand in the way between you and Him, which many so called churches do.

God loves you GS, and so do I.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 9:23 pm

Group Hug Group Hug Group Hug
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSat Mar 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Okay I thought I would through my opinion in on catholic religion....

I have gone to a catholic school since kindergarten and was baptized catholic. I'm making my confirmation this year with the catholic church. I consider myself catholic, although I disagree with many things they say...

For example:
-My mom, who is catholic, is not allowed to recieve communion because my dad is baptist.

-The eucharist and wine, in my opinion, represent the body and blood, but they say they are.

- You can not be gay... I really don't think god cares.

-You can not use birth control of any kind... Okay to me this is just stupid. Unless they want a bunch of teenage/single mothers who can't support a family to be having children, let them have birth control. I don't think God wants his people living on the streets.

- If you are born to parents who were not married in the catholic church, like my parents, they consider you born out of wed-lock.

And various other things. All these things I feel strongly about stuff, and these are a few of them... I go to church with school, go to confession, and pray. But, I do disagree with many rules. Such as saying you have to pay a certain amount of money or you cant get married at a church.

Just a few of my opinions....
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSat Mar 08, 2008 11:52 pm

ooooooh And one more thing. I get told that because i recieve eucharist thursdays at school church, but do not 'keep holy the sabath' by going to church on sunday i am "Bringing God's wrath upon myself."
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 12:43 am

Right Back at you GOGETEMTIGERS
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 am

That is another problem I have with the Catholic Church; In my opinion, everyone should be allowed to have communion.

If we are all GOD's Children, we should be able to recieve it

And people wonder why so many Catholic Churches are clustering or shutting their doors

The Younger Generations are turning away from the Catholic Church!

Go to some of the Churches in Wyandotte or Ecorse or River Rouge and most of the parisherners are between 60-85 years old

They gonna be finished when their aging members pass away
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 8:16 am

That was one of my big "eye-openers"-- Since Jesus spoke mostly in parables, I believe He used the Last Supper as a parable as well...but the Catholic Church says this IS His Body and Blood...well, that is IDOLATRY, especially when I see people crawling on their knees in church because there is a communion wafer on display--"Exhibition"--what right do we have to confine the Lord to a tiny piece of bread? Bread and wine are symbols. There is nothing that "transforms" them into the Body and Blood of Christ except prayers offered by a priest, who is very human and sinful like the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 9:52 am

Quote :
That is another problem I have with the Catholic Church; In my opinion, everyone should be allowed to have communion.

If we are all GOD's Children, we should be able to receive it

I have found many church groups that have "closed" communion. If you are not a member of their church, you may not partake...

Christ died and has risen, that is the miracle!

Anyone can die on the cross, and thousands upon thousands did.... but did any other come back to life, NO! And He is alive with the Father, and will PHYSICALLY come back again to his Earth!

Communion is for Christians who have accepted Christ AND have examined themselves to see if they are at odds with anyone. If you have a clean heart, then the Bible indicates it should be open to Christians to partake in this commanded ordnance (sacrament) of Christ.

Quote :
Why do we observe Communion?

• We observe Communion because the Lord told us to. We are to obey His commands:

And when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."
    1 Corinthians 11:24 (NIV)
  • In observing Communion we are remembering Christ and all that He has done for us in his life, death and resurrection:

And when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."
    1 Corinthians 11:24 (NIV)
  • When observing Communion we take time to examine ourselves:

A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.
    1 Corinthians 11:28 (NIV)
  • In observing Communion we are proclaiming His death until He comes.

• It is, then, a statement of faith:

For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
    1 Corinthians 11:26 (NIV)
  • When we observe Communion we show our participation in the body of Christ. His life becomes our life and we become members of each other:

Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.
    1 Corinthians 10:16-17 (NIV)

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 am

clap the greatest Gift of all!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 12:48 pm

gs78 wrote:

If we are all GOD's Children, we should be able to recieve it

But there is a sequence that you have to go through. Communion is a sacrament (just like baptism and holy matrimony [marriage]). First you have to be baptized and make your Holy Communion before you can take it every week. If you really want to be committed to the Catholic church, you would do it.

I am Roman Catholic, I go to church every Sunday and my beliefs are very strong. I don't really appreciate all this bashing on this thread.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_minipostedSun Mar 09, 2008 12:55 pm

I am Catholic; I was raised that way; However; I simply don't agree with the Vatican and Powers that be.

First of all, They covered up innocent children being hurt by priests and secretly paid out money for years.

Second, We have a Pope that served in Hitler's Army. I don't care if he deserted!

He was in an army that killed 6 million Jews. There were plenty of men [ even some of the German People] that helped the Jews and stood up against Hitler.

Like Pope John Paul THE SECOND! Also Their are millions of Latinos and Africans that are Catholic

Would it have been such a travesty to elect a Cardinal from Latin America or Africa to lead the Church in the 21st century.

I guess the good old boy network applies in Religion too?

In addition, The last Catholic Church I attended. [ Which My Grandpa still attends and works closely with] had a priest that filed a phony insurance claim.

They used to have Summer Festivals every year. Someone unplugged the Freezers in the rectory and all the food rotted.

The Priest claimed a storm knocked the power out! 700 dollar claim.

A man of the Cloth?

For the record. I have been to Baptist Churches, Methodist Churches and other Christian Churches and I have heard and seen similar actions, even embezzelment of money

To be fair, I am sure corruption and child abuse has occured in other Religions also. They just did a better job keeping it quiet!

If my comments offend anyone here, I am sorry to offend you, but I am not sorry for posting my comments here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations   St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week may affect celebrations Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: