DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated) Empty
PostSubject: Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated)   Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 pm

BECK'S BLOG
Posted on August 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm

The fallout from Major League Baseball’s Biogenesis investigation that began in Miami and dominated headlines in New York finally hit Detroit and the American League Central race on Monday. In the process, it put Jhonny Peralta’s season — and his future as a Tiger — into serious question.

MLB announced Monday a 50-game suspension for Peralta for his reported involvement in the Biogenesis scandal that included at least a dozen others. Peralta has agreed not to appeal the suspension and will begin serving it tonight. His All-Star season, including a .305 average, 29 doubles, 11 home runs and 54 RBIs, is on hold.

“We recognize the suspension of Jhonny Peralta for violating Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as a measure taken in the best interest of the game,” the Tigers said in a statement. “The Detroit Tigers continue to fully support Major League Baseball’s policy and its efforts to eliminate performance enhancing drugs from our game. Per the protocol outlined by Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement, the Tigers’ organization will provide no further comment on Peralta’s suspension.”

By not appealing the suspension, Peralta will complete it with three games to go in the regular season — in time for their season-ending series at the Marlins Sept. 27-29 — and be eligible for the postseason roster. Whether the Tigers front office or its players want him back, or whether Peralta has played his final game in a Detroit uniform, will be a question that follows the Tigers in the coming weeks.

For now, Monday’s announcement culminates a season of intrigue for Peralta that began with a Sports Illustrated report in early February that his name appeared in records from Biogenesis, the clinic in Miami accused of supplying human growth hormone and other substances to several players. No substances were reportedly listed alongside Peralta’s name in the records, and the Miami New Times omitted his name from its initial report on the clinic and its records. Peralta had worked out in South Florida at times over the past couple years, and he was planning on making his offseason home there, but little more was known.

Peralta cleared up some of the mystery in a statement released by the team minutes after the announcement.

“In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret,” the statement read. “I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates, the Tigers organization, the great fans in Detroit, Major League Baseball and my family. I take full responsibility for my actions, have no excuses for my lapse in judgment and I accept my suspension.

“I love the fans, my teammates and this organization and my greatest punishment is knowing that I have let so many good people down. I promise to do everything possible to try and earn back the respect that I have lost.”

That was a vast difference from the statement he issued through his attorney, Barry Boss, just before Spring Training.

“I have never used performance-enhancing drugs. Period,” the statement read. “Anybody who says otherwise is lying.”

That left Peralta as a mystery figure as the investigation and ensuing stories continued. Peralta in February declined comment aside from a statement issued just before Spring Training from his attorney, Barry Boss.

“I have never used performance-enhancing drugs. Period,” the statement read. “Anybody who says otherwise is lying.”

The 50-game suspension for Peralta fits that of a first-time offender under the Major League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. A positive test is not required for suspension under terms of the program negotiated between MLB and the Players Association.

Peralta becomes the second Tigers player on the Major League roster to be suspended under the program. Infielder Neifi Perez was suspended twice in 2007 for banned stimulants — once for 25 games, then for 80 games.

Former Tigers minor-league pitcher Cesar Carrillo, a journeyman signed into the organization in 2012, was the first player disciplined out of the investigation, receiving a 100-game suspension in March. That suspension ended last week, at which point the Tigers released him.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated)   Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Peralta suspended 50 games, won’t appeal (updated) Bilde?Site=C3&Date=20130805&Category=SPORTS0104&ArtNo=308050081&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Report-Tigers-Jhonny-Peralta-accepts-50-game-suspension
Jhonny Peralta waits his turn to bat in the Tigers' game against Washington last Wednesday at Comerica Park. (Elizabeth Conley / Detroit News)

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130805/SPORTS0104/308050081#ixzz2b7qMviyI

August 5, 2013 at 1:19 pm
Report: Tigers' Jhonny Peralta accepts 50-game suspension

Tom Gage
The Detroit News

It’s a 50-game suspension for Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, according to midday reports.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports wrote on Twitter on Monday that Peralta was among the players accepting a 50-game suspension from Major League Baseball for using performance-enhancing drugs.

MLB on Monday penalized the players who could not be cleared of wrongdoing in the controversy involving the Biogenesis Clinic in Miami.

Peralta, 31, was one of those players.

That means for 50 of their remaining 53 games, the Tigers will be without him. Peralta will not appeal the suspension, according to multiple reports.

It’s a setback for the Tigers – Peralta, who was an All-Star, is hitting .305 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI, and has been steady as always at short – but it’s a challenge for which the Tigers prepared themselves with the acquisition of slick-fielding infielder Jose Iglesias from Boston.

With Peralta now suspended, however, and also eligible for free agency after the season, the likelihood of him playing a significant role with the Tigers again has been greatly reduced.

Iglesias will become the Tigers’ shortstop – perhaps for the next several years.

Rosenthal reported that these players also received 50-game suspensions: Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Phillies pitcher Antonio Bastardo, Mets outfielder Jordany Valdespin and Padres infielder Everth Cabrera.

Rosenthal also wrote that these players were suspended, but did not specify a length of the suspensions: Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli, Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, Mets outfielder Cesar Puello, Astros pitcher Sergio Escalona and Yankees minor-league outfielder Fernando Martinez.

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, the most notable player nationally in MLB’s investigation, was given a 214-game suspension, reported Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. However, Heyman said Rodriguez would appeal and planned to be in uniform Monday night when the Yankees play at the Chicago White Sox.

Heyman, attributing his information to sources, said Rodriguez’s suspension, which would last to the conclusion of the 2014 season, is for "massive violations" of the baseball's Joint Drug Agreement.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130805/SPORTS0104/308050081#ixzz2b7ouT7RT
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1