DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Simpsons

Go down 
+5
SoulRat
catbox_9
gs78
tigersaint
NYyankees
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Greatest TV Show Ever
The Simpsons
The Simpsons - Page 5 Vote_lcap42%The Simpsons - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Other
The Simpsons - Page 5 Vote_lcap58%The Simpsons - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 58% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Simpsons - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Jun 14, 2008 10:46 am

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Talkin' Softball

Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 15, 2008 11:52 pm

That's a good episode! Mr. Burns is quite the baseball fan although just a little bit out of date. He wanted this as his team of ringers:

P: Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown
C: Gabby Street
1B: Cap Anson
2B: Napoleon Lajoie
SS: Honus Wagner
3B: Pie Traynor
LF: Shoeless Joe Jackson
CF: Harry Hooper
RF: Jim Creighton

That's a hell of a team! He ended up with:

2B: Steve Sax
3B: Wade Boggs
RF: Darryl Strawberry
CF: Ken Griffey, Jr.
LF: Jose Canseco
1B: Don Mattingly
C: Mike Scioscia
SS: Ozzie Smith
P: Roger Clemens

That's not a bad team, either!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 am

Mr Burns Rules!
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Jun 18, 2008 4:40 am

When I was little my mom stopped letting us watch the Simpsons because after watching Bart say a bad word (don't remember what it was) my sisters and I ran around the house yelling it. She said that until we stopped acting like Bart we were grounded from the show.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 am

kharmon wrote:
When I was little my mom stopped letting us watch the Simpsons because after watching Bart say a bad word (don't remember what it was) my sisters and I ran around the house yelling it. She said that until we stopped acting like Bart we were grounded from the show.

But you like it now though, right?
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 2:43 am

Of course. I never stopped liking it. I was just not allowed to watch for a while. Not sure how long. Hey do you still have the Simpsons game we played that new years eve?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 2:50 am

kharmon wrote:
Of course. I never stopped liking it. I was just not allowed to watch for a while. Not sure how long. Hey do you still have the Simpsons game we played that new years eve?

I thought you like it Big Smile You can stay my friend.

Which Simpsons game was that? I still have it but I have quite a few Simpsons games. Was it a video game or board game?
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 3:04 am

I think it might have been a jeopardy game???
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 3:50 am

kharmon wrote:
I think it might have been a jeopardy game???

OH! That one. Actually I'm not 100% if I have that still ashamed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 pm

This is old news but worth posting...

Homer's odyssey Berkeley course uses 'The Simpsons' to discuss philosophy

Berkeley -- They shrug off their knapsacks, tuck skateboards under chairs and put cell phones on vibrate as they enter UC Berkeley's Kroeber Hall at the dimming of the day. Pens and paper poised, students prepare to think deep thoughts and study the great minds of civilization for 90 intellectually taxing minutes.

Aristotle and Socrates.

Kant and Descartes.

Nietzsche and Sartre.

Homer and . . . Marge, Bart, Lisa and baby Maggie.

"The Simpsons," believe it or not, now grace the syllabus of at least one course at Cal, one of the country's most prestigious public universities, home to Nobel Prize winners, renowned scientists and more famous authors than there are hemp clothing sellers on Telegraph Avenue.

This two-unit course, called "Simpsons and Philosophy," is part of the university's De-Cal program, student-sponsored initiatives in cooperation with UC Berkeley faculty meant to "broaden the education, and the university experience, of all Cal students."

A word of advice to all of those doubting academic highbrows out there. To quote that animated miscreant Bart Simpson, "Don't have a cow, man!" This actually is an academically rigorous class, not a dumbing down of either philosophy or "The Simpsons."

What "The Simpsons," which recently aired its 300th episode on Fox, represents is nothing less than a glimpse at the complex human condition, how we live now and make our way morally in an often confusing world. At least that's the line you get from Tyler Shores, the English major and student instructor who developed the course after 14 years of avid "Simpsons" watching.

To Shores, the high jinks of this animated dysfunctional family and its friends and neighbors in fictional Springfield can serve as a lesson in relationships for us all. Even if you don't hang out in coffeehouses, arguing the finer points of Hume and Barthes, Shores believes that students and -- heck, even the common folk -- can glean life lessons from a simple cartoon.

"We're trying to make it serious," Shores said. "Students are able to develop their own De-Cal courses for real class credit, and I figured Berkeley students are smart and want something to pique their interest. But they also want something fun because they work so damn hard. So I put the two together. It's a fun but challenging class."

The germ of Shores' brainstorm came in 2001, after he thumbed through a thick paperback at the bookstore called "The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer," edited by William Irwin (Open Court, $17.95). It serves as the text for the class, and it answers all the burning questions, such as "Can Nietzsche's rejection of traditional morality justify Bart's bad behavior?" (Short answer: no.)

Shores, who by his own count has watched "Simpsons" episodes 3,000 times, figured that this class might be popular, and his faculty sponsor, Chris Nealon, agreed. But he had no idea just how popular. When Shores stepped into class on the first night, 400 students crammed the lecture hall to vie for 100 spots.

Lest anyone think this is a course that academically challenged jocks seek for easy credits to stay eligible for football, Shores quizzed the students on (a) their knowledge of philosophic principles; and (b) "The Simpsons." The majority of those accepted were upperclassmen with majors ranging from philosophy to economics to English literature.

"Honestly, I definitely needed the two units -- and it counts toward my major," said Bryan Derballa, a third-year English major. "It's interesting the connections they're making between the Socratic method and, like, Ned Flanders.

I don't think it's going to spoil the show for me. As an English major, I like to tear apart works I like and see what's beneath them."

"The Simpsons," added classmate Jill Sederholm, has a message for us all. "It's not just some dumb cartoon," she said.

At the start of a recent class, the lights dimmed, and you could hear the students fidget to get comfortable in wooden chairs bolted to the floor. The screen flickered and there, in its brilliant bouffant blueness, was Marge Simpson's vertically hegemonic hairdo.

This was Episode 175, titled "In Marge We Trust." Marge, upset that her family grumbled about having to go to church (Snoozing Homer: "I got a lot of work to do around the bed today"), volunteers to become the "Listen Lady" at church. Soon she has displaced the Rev. Lovejoy and is dispensing sage advice, saving marriages and solving family squabbles.

Then Marge gets a call from Ned Flanders, the Simpsons' hyper-devout neighbor.

Ned: "I'm in some hot soup here, Marge. Some teenagers are hanging out in front of the store. I think they could start slacking at any moment."

Marge: "Ned, you don't have to stand for that. You just march right up to those youngsters and tell them to vamoose."

Ned: "Well, if you're sure it'll help. . . ."

It does not help. In fact, the slacker teens chase Flanders out of town. They strand him in the zoo with rabid baboons. Lovejoy, eventually, rescues him. When the lights come back up, Shores has struck a contemplative pose in front of the lectern. He sips from his Jamba Juice smoothie, then begins.

"So, what is moral goodness?" Shores said. "That's a pretty big question. Is it doing what's right? But right to whom? What's right? You think, what's the greatest good for the greatest number of people? What are the guiding principles that determine how we act? Let's take a moment and ponder this."

He bowed his head, slightly. Dead air filled the room.

"OK," Shores resumed, "duty as (Immanuel) Kant described it is a question of what you want to do versus what you ought to do to make yourself a good person. They can conflict. What you should do usually means subordinating personal desires. Good intentions is another thing Kant talks about. Must a good deed be intended for good to be perceived as such, and can something intended as evil have good results and be judged morally good?

"I'm thinking of the episode where Homer is at an auction place, right? He places a bid under Flanders' name for 20 bucks, and the bid actually turns out to be for a hundred-dollar bill. Homer intended to screw Flanders over, but it had good results."

Some students in front anxiously scribbled down the anecdote.

"With the 'Listen Lady' episode," Shores continued, "we see what happens when Marge's good intentions turn bad. Kant talks about a duty directed toward oneself and acting to help others. Marge acts out of this duality. How should something be judged if the intentions were good and the results bad?"

Hands popped up throughout the lecture hall. A student in the front row, wearing a black Clash T-shirt, was called on.

"I think it still can be considered a good deed," he said. "Marge didn't think the consequences would be bad, though she might have known these were not good kids. But she couldn't have possibly known Flanders would be chased out of town."

Another hand goes up.

"Remember that episode," a young man added, "where Lisa cheats on the standardized test and gets an A+++ and it makes tons of money for the school so they could buy new equipment? Was that morally bad or good?"

He was interrupted by a woman from the back.

"You know, a democracy is theoretically the greatest good for the greatest number of people," she said. "But there's always going to be an underrepresented group hurt by any decision."

Shores: "Yes, that brings in the Aristotelean question. . . ."

On it goes; 7 p.m. rolls around, and it's time for the students to grab their knapsacks and skateboards and go home to study or watch TV -- or, in the case of students in English 198, "Philosophy and the Simpson," both.

"I asked one of Cal's philosophy professors what he thought of our course," Shores said, "and he said, 'I don't know anything about "The Simpsons" and I don't own a TV.' I'm, like, thinking, fine if you think you're too good for 'The Simpsons.' But don't spoil it for us."

----------------------------------------

"Men, though they look, fail to see what is well-being, what is the good in life."

Aristotle

"I can't live a button-down life like you. I want it all! The terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles!"

-- Homer Simpson .

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. There's no way you can prove anything! "

-- Bart Simpson

"Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means."

-- Immanuel Kant

"If you raise three children who can knock out and hog-tie a perfect stranger, you must be doing something right."

-- Marge Simpson

E-mail Sam McManis at smcmanis@sfchronicle.com.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 7:08 pm

I knew I should have gone to UC Berkeley rant I got in, too! Plus it's regarded as a better school than UCLA and Berkeley is about 100 times the city LA is. Why the hell did I go to UCLA grouch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 12:13 am

catbox_9 wrote:
I knew I should have gone to UC Berkeley rant I got in, too! Plus it's regarded as a better school than UCLA and Berkeley is about 100 times the city LA is. Why the hell did I go to UCLA grouch

I ask myself the same question...among others. whistle
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male
Number of posts : 903
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd jones
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 am

bart simpsons is the best character hes funny.. the best thing the simpsons have evr done is make a movie it is hilarious and i think everyone should see it at least once..... Spider Pig!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhitebro
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 23, 2008 2:40 am

Simpsons Annual Treehouse of Horror on Nov, 2 on FOX
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 23, 2008 2:41 am

GO SIMPSONS!
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 23, 2008 8:29 am

LOL
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Simpsons are cool

Hope they never take them off the air
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 23, 2008 10:32 pm

i knw but its gettign alittle dull
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 24, 2008 2:44 am

Family Guy has been funnier this season

But Simpsons Halloween Episodes are the Best
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 24, 2008 8:29 am

ya they are the best ....i love watching them
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Oct 25, 2008 3:20 am

I wish they show them before Halloween

But because of the WS

It always after
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Nov 17, 2008 6:40 pm

'Meh': Apathetic expression enters dictionary

ONDON – At least someone is excited about "meh."

The expression of indifference or boredom has gained a place in the Collins English Dictionary after generating a surprising amount of enthusiasm among lexicographers.

Publisher HarperCollins announced Monday the word had been chosen from terms suggested by the public for inclusion in the dictionary's 30th anniversary edition, to be published next year.

The origins of "meh" are murky, but the term grew in popularity after being used in a 2001 episode of "The Simpsons" in which Homer suggests a day trip to his children Bart and Lisa.

"They both just reply 'meh' and keep watching TV," said Cormac McKeown, head of content at Collins Dictionaries.

The dictionary defines "meh" as an expression of indifference or boredom, or an adjective meaning mediocre or boring. Examples given by the dictionary include "the Canadian election was so meh."

The dictionary's compilers said the word originated in North America, spread through the Internet and was now entering British spoken English.

"This is a new interjection from the U.S. that seems to have inveigled its way into common speech over here," McKeown said. "Internet forums and e-mail are playing a big part in formalizing the spellings of vocal interjections like these. A couple of other examples would be 'hmm' and 'heh.'

"Meh" was selected by Collins after it asked people to submit words they use in conversation that are not in the dictionary. Other suggestions included jargonaut, a fan of jargon; frenemy, an enemy disguised as a friend; and huggles, a hybrid of hugs and snuggles.
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 am

i hate it!!.. i think i fucking missed the specials and i wonted to watch tem so bad!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Nov 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Why do the have to keep adding words to the dictionary

Now I am gonna have to buy another one
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm

what?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Nov 18, 2008 6:04 pm

gs78 wrote:
Why do the have to keep adding words to the dictionary

Now I am gonna have to buy another one

I hope you don't have the Oxford English Language Dictionary (pictured below). That one costs $895.00 to replace. Of course it is 20 volumes and 22,000 pages. The benefit to this dictionary is they periodically come out with additions to buy so you don't have to replace the whole thing (although eventually you will....they're currently on the 2nd edition). There are currently 3 additions to the 20 volumes pictured below - that will cost another $172.

The Simpsons - Page 5 608d810ae7a00c3bacceb110._AA240_.L
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 pm

who in the sam hell would buy that... hello thats why the internet was invented!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 01, 2008 2:33 am

Homerland Security

I love Homer

New Simpsons episode tonight was awesome
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 12:21 am

Great News!

Champagne PARTY!

The Simpsons has been renewed for 2 more seasons by FOX YAY!

That gives the show (at least) 22 seasons which would break the record it currently shares with Gunsmoke - 20 seasons.

Sadly, they used to air more episodes per season back then so Gunsmoke has 635 episodes. The Simpsons will have 440 episodes at the end of this season. Assuming they air 22 episodes in seasons 21 and 22 they will have 484 episodes - 151 episodes (7 seasons) fewer than Gunsmoke.

Can The Simpsons last 29 seasons and break the record for most episodes, too? I hope so. Luckily none of the voice actors are all that old despite the age of the show.
EDIT: Harry Shearer is 65. He would be 74 in season 29. He is important as he voices Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers, Ned Flanders, Reverend Timothy Lovejoy, Kent Brockman, Dr. Julius Hibbert, Dr. Marvin Monroe, Lenny Leonard, Principal Seymour Skinner, Otto Mann, Rainier Wolfcastle, and others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Simpsons   The Simpsons - Page 5 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Simpsons
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next