DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Michigan Accent

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Michigan Accent Empty
PostSubject: The Michigan Accent   The Michigan Accent Icon_minipostedThu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm

First of all, there are 2 distinct accents on Michigan. One is the UP (Upper Peninsula aka. "Yoopers") which sounds more like a Minnesota accent. Then there's the LP accent, which sounds like a Chicago accent.

The way we pronounce things are different...

www.michigannative.com/ma_idiosyncrasies.shtml

www.michigannative.com/ma_pronunciations.shtml

www.michigannative.com/ma_wordsphrases.shtml

When we were growing up, we were told we didn't have an accent and that our voice was the one desired for television and radio announcers. Then as I got older, I noticed a very distinguished accent.

First of all, we have a long "a." Think of when you go to the doctor and he asks to to say "ahh." We don't drink "soda," we drink "pahhp." "cot" "cat" and "caught" do not sound the same. "Mary" "marry" and "merry" sound exactly alike.

Then there's "the" and "to." "The" becomes "Duh" and "to" becomes "tuh." "I'm goin' tuh duh store, maybe Meijer's. That's another thing, it's "Meijer" not "Meijer's." Why add the "s?" I duhnno!

"Duhnno." Notice that we don't pronounce our "t" and if we do it sounds like a "d." "Important" = "impodent." Some people say we sound "nasally."

"Refrigerator" = "Fridgerraider" Why waste breadth on the "re?" You know what we mean!

"Groceries" = "groshries." Just forget about the "er."

Our "r's" are really pronounced too. Some people say we sound like pirates. "arrgh!"

Lastly, are "s's" sound like "z's" at the end of the word. "whadz up, guyz?"

Here, listen to this guy...