DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves

Go down 
+3
tigersaint
gs78
catbox_9
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 2:23 pm

tigersaint wrote:
....and I don't think that Jones is the player he once was....
'

No, but the voters will vote for him anyways. I still can't figure out how Rollins won. He's not the best defender which is irrelevant in the Gold Glove discussion, but he's not Omar Vizquel either. I thought he automatically won. If you're going to end his reign as Gold Glove winner, shouldn't you at least give it to the guy that is the best defender?

Here's a fun thing I noticed:

The 2007 Colorado Rockies set a ML record for fielding %. They won 0 Gold Gloves.

While fielding % isn't the best way to judge defensive abilities, it's a start. If you lead the league in fielding % odds are you're at least amongst the best.

The 3 big stats people look at for defense are fielding %, zone rating, and range factor. Tulowitzki was better than Rollins in all 3 categories. I sure would like an explanation for this one. Choosing Rollins is probably the worst selection since Palmeiro won despite playing 30ish games at first base all year.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Here's Rob Neyer's take:

What do you think the Gold Glove voters -- the coaches and the managers -- should do? What's their job?

If you think they're supposed to identify good defensive players, they do a pretty good job. With the occasional exception, Gold Glove winners generally are "plus" fielders. Better than average.

If you think they're supposed to identify great defensive players, the voters do a pretty lousy job. This year, there are 19 Gold Glove winners. By my count, four of them are truly outstanding defensive players: Orlando Hudson, Andruw Jones, Carlos Beltran, and Johan Santana.

This year, like every year, one can explain the voting results not by examining all the sophisticated fielding metrics with which we're now blessed. No, if you want to explain the Gold Glove you must turn to the Three Big Biases that show up year after year after year.

For example, the voters love to vote for the guy who won last year. Greg Maddux has now won his 17th, despite giving up an immense number of stolen bases. Granted, that was a team-wide issue; Chris Young gave up 44 steals without a single runner being caught. But Maddux has always given up a lot of steals, because he doesn't want to bother with holding runners close. I'm sure that's a defensible tactic, but I'm also sure that should disqualify a pitcher from being considered the best fielder.

There were only three other repeat winners in the National League: Orlando Hudson, Andruw Jones and Carlos Beltran. No argument with Hudson. It's not clear that he was better than Chase Utley, but it's not clear that he wasn't. Jones and Beltran were, as usual, among the very best outfielders.

The selection of Derrek Lee over Albert Pujols is strange, unless you assume that the voters wanted to vote for Lee last year but couldn't, because he played only 50 games. Pujols is an outstanding first baseman -- his numbers are off the charts -- but Lee looks like a first baseman and the voters trust their eyes before anything else.

The selections of Jimmy Rollins and David Wright are emblematic, I think, of the voters' most obvious Big Bias: for the superstar. Rollins is a good fielder, but he's not great. Now, Troy Tulowitzki, he had a great year. OK, so he's a rookie and some of the voters have hardly seen him. Omar Vizquel -- and I can't believe I'm saying this, considering Vizquel's nearly 41 -- would have been a better choice, and Jose Reyes was solid this season, too. In fact, it's highly likely that if Reyes had been the MVP candidate instead of Rollins, it's Reyes who'd have won the Gold Glove.

Same thing with Wright. He's a good third baseman, and perhaps as good as Scott Rolen (who'd won seven of the last nine Gold Gloves). But Wright's not nearly as good as Pedro Feliz and he's probably not as good as Ryan Zimmerman. Wright's a Gold Glove because he's a good fielder and a great hitter, which would be fine except the voters are supposed to forget the hitting. Oh, and Russell Martin benefited from the same bias. He's not real strong against the running game, but otherwise he's solid. Still, if the evidence exists for his superiority to Yadier Molina, I've not yet seen it.

Aaron Rowand and Jeff Francouer, who tied for the third spot in the National League outfield, both seem like odd choices. They're fine, probably better than average. But outstanding? One can't help but think that Rowand won because he crashed into a wall last year, and that Francouer won because the voters are impressed with his throwing arm. It wasn't a great year for National League outfielders, once you get past Jones and Beltran, but Eric Byrnes had a great season in left field, and Nook Logan -- the epitomy of a guy the voters don't even consider -- was excellent in center (granted, he was not an everyday player).

So we've gone through the National League, and seen two of the Big Biases: for past winners, and for superstars (i.e. great hitters).

The third Big Bias is about fielding percentage. This shows up mostly with shortstops and second basemen, and goes a long way toward explaining how Placido Polanco won this year. Polanco didn't make many errors this season. Actually, he didn't make any errors this season. I'm as critical as anybody, but it's hard to fault the voters for rewarding a guy who made zero errors in six months. Realistically, though, does it necessarily follow that Polanco was the best second baseman? Another top candidate was (or should have been) Mark Ellis. Ellis, playing roughly 110 more innings than Polanco, recorded 110 more assists than Polanco. Aaron Hill (14 errors) and Robinson Cano (13 errors) both made more errors than Polanco, but both also made far, far more plays than Polanco.

Kevin Youkilis, same thing. In 135 games at first base, he didn't get charged with a single error. Casey Kotchman was charged with three errors in 130 games. And I can't help but wonder if those numbers were reversed, would Kotchman have won the thing? Is the difference between winning and not winning really just a few plays over the course of the long season? And should it be?

Frankly, the rest of the American League results are sort of a disaster. One can argue that Santana really was the best-fielding pitcher, though with pitchers it's hard to tell. The rest of them, though?

Ivan Rodriguez is clearly is well past his prime, yet won his 13th Gold Glove (repeater).

Adrian Beltre supplanted Eric Chavez at third base, which points to another phenomenon we've seen before: The voters are often behind the curve. Beltre was outstanding last year, and should have won the award. This year he wasn't as good, and it should have gone to Brandon Inge.

The voters finally stopped rewarding Derek Jeter for being Derek Jeter -- probably because he made a bunch of errors in the spring -- but they picked the wrong replacement. Orlando Cabrera led the American League in fielding percentage, which happens to be his only credential. Jason Bartlett, rookie Tony Pena and especially John McDonald all were more deserving.

And the outfield? It's another year, which means more awards for Ichiro and Torii Hunter. So they win as repeaters, and Grady Sizemore wins because he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. It's a shame the voters didn't realize just how well Coco Crisp and Curtis Granderson were playing this year.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 4:09 pm

geez, as if Grady's Ladies didn't need any more bait.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm

Grady's Ladies.....oh brother!!

What a BADGE of honor!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 10:22 pm

quite the sultan of swat, as it were.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 10:29 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
quite the sultan of swat, as it were.

lol! LMAO
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 pm

tigersaint wrote:

What a BADGE of honor!!

Is that what they're called? And here I am calling them Sizemore's Whores. Whoops!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:26 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

What a BADGE of honor!!

Is that what they're called? And here I am calling them Sizemore's Whores. Whoops!

LMAO LMAO LMAO
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Yours is probably more accurate. We ARE talking about Cleveland......
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

What a BADGE of honor!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

I can't really take credit for coming up with that....
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:28 pm

We'll give you credit......
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 pm

tigersaint wrote:
We'll give you credit......

Aww, thanks Hug <-----that's not gay!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Nov 07, 2007 11:30 pm

....not that there's anything WRONG with that!!

-Jerry Seinfeld
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 08, 2007 1:05 pm

Granderson will win a Gold Glove next season!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

What a BADGE of honor!!

Stunned LMAO
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 08, 2007 6:22 pm

The sad thing is, they're all guys!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves   2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves - Page 2 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2 Tigers Win Gold Gloves
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: