DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedThu Mar 12, 2009 12:51 am

What a relief for Williamson
Beck's Blog

In Wednesday's case, each reliever seemed to build momentum for whoever came in after them. After Justin Verlander walked four batters and finished with well over 50 pitches in his two innings, which is about two fewer than expected, Tigers relievers scattered four hits over seven scoreless innings. Casey Fien retired the Yankees in order to continue his eye-opening Spring Training. Juan Rincon preceded Williamson with two innings of his own, giving him six scoreless innings this spring. Alfredo Figaro finished out the Yankees for the save.

Speaking of Fien, he credits Knapp's work with helping him throw quality strikes rather than leaving too much over the plate. The knee-to-knee drills Knapp brought in to help pitchers aim for the catcher's mitt has become part of Fien's routine. He's doing them three or four times a week.

* Posted on March 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedThu Mar 19, 2009 10:14 am

03/18/09 7:30 PM ET
Tigers appreciate Fien's approach
Young strike-thrower could earn spot in big league bullpen

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Casey Fien has always been a strike-thrower. That was the calling card that earned him a trip or two across the street from Minor League camp last Spring Training. Now he's advancing as he delivers more strikes with a pattern that opponents don't want to hit.

Depending on how the Tigers' bullpen shakes out, that could earn him a jump to Detroit.

"All managers love strike-throwers," manager Jim Leyland said.

It was last Spring Training that Fien first caught Leyland's attention, enough to get him a couple of appearances as an extra pitcher against the Astros and Indians. He took that momentum and became a closer at Double-A Erie, striking out nearly a hitter per inning while allowing opponents a .228 batting average to earn an Eastern League All-Star nod.

It was a late-season stint at Triple-A Toledo that showed him the difference facing the veteran bats of the International League.

"When you're facing those type of hitters, they have an approach," Fien said. "They know what they can hit. They know their weaknesses and they know their strengths. So they're looking for that one pitch. If you throw it, no matter if it's good or bad, they're still going to hit it. And they can foul off the tough pitches and make you throw the next pitch.

"That's pretty much the whole thing that I learned at Triple-A. Those hitters are definitely hitters, and they know what they're doing. In Double-A, you have that with some of the guys, guys that can handle the bat, but some guys are just up there hacking."

After faring well at Toledo, Fien did much the same thing in the Arizona Fall League. His aggressiveness has stuck at every stage.

So far, it has continued in this camp. None of the veteran hitters of the Grapefruit League have hit him particularly hard this year. Since giving up a run on two hits to the Yankees on March 8, Fien has tossed four scoreless innings on two hits with a walk and four strikeouts. He has thrown nearly two-thirds of his pitches for strikes in the process.

Tuesday ended up being a quality test for him with back-to-back battles with Astros hitters, trying to avoid the pitch that would hurt him. He threw three straight sliders to Geoff Blum, trying to get him to chase in a long at-bat, before he eventually flied out to center.

"He had a better breaking ball than he's had," Leyland said, "and he threw more of them."

The mentality hasn't changed for him, but while doing a good job of reading hitters, he's also reinforcing the point of first-pitch strikes.

"I just stick to my game plan and attack," Fien said. "I'm going to get ahead first pitch and then I'm just going to try to make you chase my pitch, not make me throw what you want. I'm definitely going to come after you and try to get in your head, maybe back something up."

Nor do the Tigers want him to change much from the strategy that earned him a non-roster invite in the first place.

"He's a pitcher that's a ballplayer. He likes to play," Leyland said. "He's the [Will] Rhymes of a pitching staff -- good, but nothing fancy, not afraid."

Leyland has called Rhymes a "dirtball," his endearing term of the spring for a gritty ballplayer. He also has called Rhymes one of his bright spots of this camp. Fien was one of those bright spots last year who had no chance to make the club. Now he's making his case.

"You know what? My job is to make it as tough of a decision on them," Fien said. "If I'm up there, I know I can win games. And right now, everybody in the bullpen is throwing real well, so everyone's going to make it a tough decision. There's going to be some guys that have been throwing well that are going to get sent down, and I think they understand it. All we can do is make it tough on them, who they think is going to help out the club more."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedThu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 am

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Caseyfien
Photo by Roger Dewitt

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER 3367219151_4e55a076d2_o
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedSat Jul 25, 2009 12:42 am

beckjason on twitter - Bonine optioned to Toledo postgame. Casey Fien's contract purchased. He'll be here tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedSat Jul 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Whoo! He has done good in AAA. Let's hope he brings it up here!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Jul 28, 2009 9:19 am

Fien makes solid first impression
Recently recalled reliever clicks in first big league action

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/27/09 8:43 PM ET

ARLINGTON -- Sometimes what makes young relievers fearless in jams is that they don't grasp the magnitude of the situation. Casey Fien will plead guilty on that one.

He knew he was on national television as he jogged in from the bullpen for his Major League debut Sunday night. But he didn't notice the runners at every base and the slugger at the plate.

"At first, I really didn't even notice the bases were loaded until I started running out there," Fien said. "And then I go, 'Third ... second ... and first. Bases loaded. All right.' Because I was more focused on what I was doing in the 'pen, what my pitches were doing. ...

"I started running out there. I started getting ready. And then I look on deck, and there's Paul Konerko. And I was like, 'All right, let's do this.' It didn't bother me too much. I was more anxious than anything."

Manager Jim Leyland said he obviously didn't want to use Fien in that situation. His plan was to have Zach Miner finish out the seventh inning, then have Fien start the eighth. Back-to-back two-out walks from Miner changed those plans.

Leyland was not happy with Miner about that. But he also got to learn a little bit in that situation about Fien, who made an impression on Leyland in 2008's Spring Training with his ability to consistently throw strikes.

Understandably, he wasn't that efficient starting out," Leyland said. "He missed on his first three pitches -- first outside, then high, then inside -- to come within a pitch of walking in a run.

"They weren't going where I wanted them to," Fien said of his pitches, "but I was still around the strike zone enough where I could get my calls later on. And I wasn't missing way off. I was keeping it around the plate. He wasn't chasing anything, obviously, because he's probably just sitting middle in.

"Once it was 3-0, I was like, 'Here comes a cookie for you.'"

Konerko took the fastball down the middle for strike one. Then came another fastball, this one hitting the outside corner, for a full count. After Konerko fouled off a low fastball, possibly ball four, Fien challenged him and escaped with a popup in foul territory to third baseman Brandon Inge.

Fien was still excited retelling the story a day later.

"I was like, 'Yes,'" Fien said with a smile. "This is what you called me up for, right? I'm supposed to be the strike thrower, so I have to produce."

After walking A.J. Pierzynski to lead off the eighth, Fien settled in to retire Chicago's final five batters, including strikeouts of Carlos Quentin and Scott Podsednik. With that, Fien had finished his Major League debut with 2 1/3 scoreless innings and a huge charge.

"He's hyper," Leyland said. "He's gung-ho. He's not afraid, right now. He might be when they hit one over the moon."

Asked if the adrenaline from the Konerko out carried over into his other two innings, Fien said, "It was more a sense of relief."

Fien feels a sense of responsibility for being a strike-thrower. But his big step this year was learning the difference in quality strikes, pounding the corners. For that, he credits two weeks of work with Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens pitching coach A.J. Sager and a 45-minute talk he had with Mud Hens manager Larry Parrish, who gave him the hitter's view of his stuff.
Fien had struggled trying to put a few extra miles per hour on his fastball, but Parrish bluntly told him his velocity won't matter without location. Since then, Fien focused on hitting the corners and avoiding the heart of the plate. The results were seven scoreless innings with the Hens before he got the call to Detroit after Friday's doubleheader.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Jul 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Whoo! Gotta like this guy! He went clutch against Paulie.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Jul 28, 2009 7:09 pm

I think he will do well.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedWed Jul 29, 2009 4:15 pm

For sure!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Date____________Transaction
08/04/09Detroit Tigers optioned Casey Fien to Toledo Mud Hens.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Aug 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Tigers call up Wilkin Ramirez, send down Casey Fien

POSTED BY JAMES JAHNKE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • August 4, 2009

The Detroit Tigers today recalled the contract of outfielder Wilkin Ramirez from Triple-A Toledo and optioned right-handed reliever Casey Fien to Toledo.

Ramirez was hitting .274 with 13 home runs, 40 RBIs and 30 stolen bases in 90 games with the Mud Hens.

Fien was 0-1 with a 9.00 ERA in four outings with Detroit.

More on this story to come from freep.com.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Aug 04, 2009 7:32 pm

I think we shoulda kept Fien.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Tigers designate reliever Casey Fien to make roster room for Johnny Damon
By Steve Kornacki
February 23, 2010, 1:57PM

LAKELAND, Fla. -- It’s odd watching a player pack up and clear his locker on the first day of full squad workouts, but that was the case today.

Reliever Casey Fien became the roster move that had to be made with Johnny Damon being formally added to the 40-man roster. Fien’s contract was designated for assignment.

Fien, who was 0-1 with a 7.94 ERA in nine games for Detroit last year, is in limbo for the next 10 days. He can be traded, claimed on waivers by another organization or assigned to Triple-A Toledo. He can use the club’s facilities to train, but can’t work out with the Tigers during this time.

“He didn’t do anything wrong,” Tigers manager Jim/Leyland said. “What was a pleasant shock in my case (signing Damon) was an unpleasant shock for Casey.”

Fien was considered a top relief prospect one year ago, when he saw plenty of early Grapefruit League action. He was working on a cut fastball to go with his fastball and breaking ball, and made progress on the pitch while playing winter baseball in Puerto Rico.

He was 2-1 with a 3.41 ERA and 14 saves last year for Toledo.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedWed Feb 24, 2010 12:50 pm

I don't think Fien should have gone down. Dunno. I think we could have used him in the pen.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedWed Feb 24, 2010 8:33 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
I don't think Fien should have gone down. Dunno. I think we could have used him in the pen.

I would hate to see another team grab him too, like the WSox did with Dolsi. Hope he clears waivers.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedMon Mar 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Red Sox claim Fien off waivers
Tigers' deep bullpen left no room for right-hander

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

03/01/10 3:30 PM EST

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Instead of going across the street to the Tigers' Minor League complex, Casey Fien is going across the state to the Red Sox, who claimed the right-handed reliever off waivers from Detroit.

The Tigers officially announced the move Monday afternoon. The move gives Boston another versatile arm in its bullpen, while the loss takes a piece away from a deep Detroit relief corps.

The Tigers designated Fien for assignment last week to make room for Johnny Damon on their 40-man roster. Detroit's recent influx of upper-level prospects and its need for other players to compete for jobs left management with a difficult choice about who was expendable.

With a deep bullpen and a few relief prospects on the cusp of breaking into the Majors, they decided on Fien, who made an impression in Spring Training a couple years ago but who pitched sparingly in Detroit last year. The Tigers could've invited Fien back to camp as a non-roster invitee had he cleared waivers, but the Tigers seemed resigned to the strong possibility of losing him when manager Jim Leyland said last week that he expected Fien would be pitching in a Major League camp somewhere.

Fien pitched 11 1/3 innings over nine appearances for the Tigers last year, allowing 10 earned runs on 13 hits with six walks and nine strikeouts. He also had arguably his best season as a pro at Triple-A Toledo, where he led the Mud Hens with 14 saves. He went 2-1 with a 3.41 ERA, allowing 51 hits over 58 innings while striking out 66 batters. He gave up just 15 walks, a continued sign of his command strength.

Though Fien has been projected as a middle reliever in the big leagues, the 26-year-old was expected to take on a similar role with the Hens this year, barring injuries that opened up a spot in Detroit's crowded bullpen. Add in the power right-hander tandem of Cody Satterwhite and Robbie Weinhardt, and Fien was sandwiched a bit in the roster picture.

The Red Sox also have a talent-laden relief corps, but they have room to add pitchers they feel can compete for jobs now or in the near future.

To make room for Fien on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox released Gaby Herandez, whom they had claimed off waivers from Seattle last month.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedMon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER 488496 Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER 665892
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedFri Mar 05, 2010 7:18 am

Blue Jays Claim Casey Fien
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 4, 2010 at 1:50pm CST]

The Blue Jays claimed Casey Fien off waivers from the Red Sox, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian (via Twitter). To make room for Fien, the Jays moved Scott Richmond to the 60-day DL.

It's been a busy week for Fien, who is with his third organization since Monday. The Tigers designated the reliever for assignment last week and the Red Sox claimed him Monday. He posted 10.2 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 58 Triple A innings last year and made his MLB debut. He has only faced 53 major league hitters, so it wouldn't be fair to judge him on the 7.94 ERA he posted for the Tigers.

The Red Sox now have 39 players on their 40-man roster, according to a team press release.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedSun Mar 07, 2010 10:46 pm

The whirlwind journey of Casey Fien
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on March 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Caught up today with Casey Fien, who finally seemed to be settling in after going from Tigers camp to Red Sox camp to Jays camp in just over a week. He said had just finished up his physical Sunday for the Jays, who had claimed him on waivers from the Red Sox, who had claimed Fien from the Tigers, who had designated him for assignment to make room for Johnny Damon on their 40-man roster.

"I think I lead the league in physicals," Fien joked.

The jokes were abundant, which at least shows Fien is able to make light of it. He was assigned a jersey number from the Red Sox, but never got to wear the jersey.

"I had a number. I had 84," Fien said. "I'm 86 here."

He still hasn't had a chance to wear the jersey in a game yet, but as he pointed out, at least it was still in his locker when he showed up Sunday morning. That meant his time with the Jays had outlasted his time with the Red Sox, which he estimated was about 48 hours.

"It's not like they even saw me throw a baseball," Fien said.

There is no evidence that he was ever a member of the Red Sox. When he got into camp and unpacked his bag, he found some Red Sox caps at the bottom. He had no use for them, so he went out to the field and gave them away to some kids who were hanging around the fence looking for autographs.

"'I'm happy here," Fien said. "All the guys, they've welcomed me, talking to me. When I was with Boston, some of the coaches, it's not like I didn't feel welcome, but I didn't even meet half of them. It was just awkward for me."

He did get to meet manager Terry Francona. About 12 hours later, he was no longer Fien's manager.

As dizzying as it was for Fien, who drove from Lakeland to Fort Myers to Dunedin, it was just about as rough on his family, who was following from home in California.

"I called my mom, and then my mom throws it on Facebook," Fien said. "And then, all of a sudden, when it's on Facebook, boom, I'm getting text messages: 'Red Sox Nation, baby!' So everyone knew, and then I got traded over to Toronto. Called my mom again, and then everyone's texting: 'Blue Jay Nation! Blue Jay Nation!'
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedThu Mar 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Blue Jays Release Casey Fien
By Tim Dierkes [March 18, 2010 at 1:28pm CST]

The Blue Jays released pitcher Casey Fien, tweets MLB.com's Jordan Bastian. The poor guy has already bounced from the Tigers to the Red Sox to the Jays this winter. Bastian's colleague Jason Beck chronicled Fien's travels ten days ago.

Fien, 26, posted a 3.41 ERA, 10.2 K/9, and 2.3 BB/9 in 58 Triple A relief innings last year. He struggled in 11.3 big league frames, which marked his Major League debut. Baseball America ranked Fien 27th among Tigers prospects, writing that he "profiles as a middle reliever." Still, his minor league command is intriguing.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedThu Mar 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Poor Casey was just outrighted to the Jays' AAA club on the 14th. And now he was released on the 18th. Time for the Tigers to get him back, since they did not try to get rid of him in the first place!

03/14/2010--Outrighted--Las Vegas 51s--Casey Fien--Toronto Blue Jays outrighted Casey Fien to Las Vegas 51s.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedSat Mar 20, 2010 8:45 am

Casey Fien back to the Tigers, as per Beck. More to follow.

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER 83651 Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER 306138
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedSat Mar 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Fien finds his way back to Tigers
Right-handed reliever returns on Minor League deal

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

03/20/10 11:33 AM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Casey Fien is back with the Tigers, three weeks and two waiver claims after they tried to get him into their Minor League camp.

The bizarre journey of the right-handed reliever came full circle Friday night, when the Tigers agreed to terms with him on a Minor League contract. He'll report to the Tigers' Minor League camp, where his adventure across the Grapefruit League began a few weeks ago.

Fien began Spring Training in Detroit's big league camp last month before the Tigers designated him for assignment on Feb. 23 to make room on their 40-man roster for new arrival Johnny Damon. The Tigers allowed Fien to work out on the Minor League side for the next few days while they waited to see if he cleared waivers, so that they could outright him to the Minors.

The Red Sox claimed Fien off waivers March 1, but no sooner had Fien reported to their camp in Fort Myers, Fla., than Boston tried to sneak him through waivers, presumably to outright him. The Blue Jays, who didn't have roster space to put in a claim on Fien a few days earlier, claimed him on March 4.

Fien, who never took part in a workout with the Red Sox, packed up again and moved to Blue Jays camp. Two weeks later, however, Toronto released him.

The Tigers, who never really wanted to lose him in the first place, immediately had interest in bringing him back. A day later, they had a deal.

Fien will most likely open the season at Triple-A Toledo, where he saved 14 games last year to go along with a 2-1 record, 3.41 ERA and 66 strikeouts over 58 innings. He could yet end up as a midseason callup for the Tigers if they need relief depth.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Jun 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Tigers call on Fien in wake of Zumaya injury
Reliever has been with three teams, including Tigers, this year

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/29/10 10:20 AM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- Casey Fien bounced between the Tigers, Red Sox and Blue Jays this spring before landing back in the Tigers system. He's now back in the big leagues with the Tigers, who purchased his contract from Triple-A Toledo Tuesday morning to replace injured Joel Zumaya.

Zumaya went on the 15-day disabled list after he hurt his right elbow in a horrific scene on the mound Monday night at Target Field. How long Zumaya will be out should become a little clearer later today once the Tigers review results of an MRI exam taken this morning at a local hospital.

Fien is expected to arrive from Detroit Metro Airport in time for tonight's game, which could be critical. Not only are the Tigers without Zumaya, but also closer Jose Valverde for the upcoming game. Valverde came on for a five-out save once Zumaya left, and manager Jim Leyland said afterward that he won't use Valverde pm Tuesday under any circumstances.

Add it all up, and the Tigers badly need Fien. That's an ironic twist from Spring Training, when the Tigers felt they had enough of a bullpen surplus on their roster that they took him off the 40-man roster to make room for Johnny Damon.

That began Fien on an adventure up and down the Grapefruit League. Detroit designated Fien for assignment Feb. 23 in hopes of outrighting him to Toledo, but Boston claimed him March 1. No sooner had Fien arrived in Red Sox camp than the Red Sox tried to sneak him through waivers. Toronto claimed him on March 4.

Fien, who never took part in a workout with the Red Sox, packed up again and moved to Blue Jays camp. Two weeks later, however, Toronto released him.

The Tigers, who never really wanted to lose him in the first place, immediately had interest in bringing him back. A day later, they signed him to a Minor League deal.

Fien went to Toledo and became a valuable late-inning arm for the Mud Hens, posting a 2.29 ERA and three saves in 26 games while scattering 32 hits over 39 1/3 innings with six walks and 27 strikeouts. International League opponents were batting .222 against him, including a .207 average from right-handed hitters.

Meanwhile, the bullpen depth that the Tigers seemed to have when they took Fien off the 40-man roster in Spring Training has just about disappeared. Detroit lost Bobby Seay and Zach Miner to injuries in Spring Training. Miner underwent Tommy John surgery a few weeks ago, while Seay's career is in danger as he weighs surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff.

Ryan Perry's shoulder tendinitis earlier this month landed him on the DL and moved Zumaya back into a major eighth-inning role. Perry would've been a option to replace Zumaya, but he's still on a Minor League rehab assignment with Toledo, where he's scheduled to pitch Tuesday night. Promising left-hander Daniel Schlereth, part of the return package in the Edwin Jackson trade last December, has battled command in Toledo, walking 26 batters over 34 innings despite 44 strikeouts.

Homegrown relief prospect Cody Satterwhite underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last month. Fellow prospect Robbie Weinhardt, who made a big impression on Tigers coaches in Spring Training, tore a shoulder muscle earlier this season and is currently on rehab assignment at short-season Class A Connecticut. Even former sidearming reliever Brett Jensen abruptly retired to pursue a career outside of baseball.

Thus, back comes Fien, who pitched in nine games over two different stints with Detroit last year. He gave up 10 earned runs on 13 hits over 11 1/3 innings with six walks and nine strikeouts. Five of those appearances came as a September call-up in Tigers losses, including a pair of three-inning outings to save the rest of the bullpen.

He isn't likely to be used like that now. With the state of the Tigers bullpen, every reliever is going to be valuable to protect leads behind Valverde. Left-hander Phil Coke is expected to take on an even bigger role in setup duty against left- and right-handed hitters alike. Knuckleballing right-hander Eddie Bonine has seen increased use in close games lately, well before Zumaya's injury.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedWed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Mlbf_9522317_th_13
Fien's scoreless relief
Duration: 00:00:57
6/30/10: Casey Fien tosses two shutout innings of relief
Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Play_btn

Fien takes long route back to Majors

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/30/10 5:24 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- Casey Fien already had to bounce around the Grapefruit League to get back to the Tigers this spring. On Tuesday, he had to bounce around the Twin Cities to get back to the big leagues.

The Tigers called up Fien from Triple-A Toledo on Tuesday morning to replace the injured Joel Zumaya, and he arrived in Minneapolis Tuesday afternoon in plenty of time for the game Tuesday night. Actually getting to the ballpark, however, was the hard part.

Fien hopped into a cab at the airport and asked to go to Target Field. That's where the adventure began.

"[The] guy didn't know who the Twins were or where the stadium was," Fien said. "I was like, 'Just go to Target Center. Or somewhere around there.' I go, 'Do you know where Target Field is? Do you know the Twins?' He goes, 'Who are the Twins?'"

They got downtown, but getting to Target Field from there was another matter. They found their way to the Target Center, where the cab driver tried to drop Fien off. Problem was, there was a Justin Bieber concert there that night, and a huge crowd waiting to see him.

Target Field is just across the street, but they somehow ended up driving right by it. They got back, but then had to find the right entrance.

"I just got out where the field was, and I just went up and asked somebody," Fien said. "The guy literally got in the cab with me to help me find my way around. So I'm in there with some ticket sales guy."

The whole cab ride, Fien estimates, took over an hour. But considering what he went through to return to the big leagues, he could laugh about it.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedSat Jul 03, 2010 4:48 pm

PERRY REINSTATED FROM DL, FIEN OPTIONED: The Tigers today announced the club has recalled the injury rehabilitation assignment of righthanded pitcher Ryan Perry and reinstated him from the disabled list. To create room on the club’s 25-man roster, the Tigers today optioned the contract of righthanded pitcher Casey Fien to Toledo. Perry had been sidelined since June 7 with right shoulder bicipital tendinitis and in three outings with Toledo, he allowed an unearned run on one hit in 3.2 innings of work as he allowed four walks and fanned four batters.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Jul 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Tigers opt for bullpen help with Inge on DL
Detroit recalls right-hander Fien to replace third baseman

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/20/10 1:12 PM ET

DETROIT -- For now, the Tigers will be replacing injured third baseman Brandon Inge with some help for a tired bullpen. Detroit placed Inge on the 15-day disabled list and recalled right-hander Casey Fien from Triple-A Toledo Tuesday afternoon to provide an extra arm while it ponders what to do at third base.

Inge is expected to be out 4-6 weeks after fracturing a bone in his left hand Monday night against the Rangers.

After Monday's 14-inning 8-6 loss to Texas, a fourth-inning exit from Andy Oliver Sunday afternoon and a day-night doubleheader that included another extra-inning game Saturday, Detroit's bullpen has pitched 20 2/3 innings over five games in four days since the All-Star break. Five relievers pitched Monday night, including closer Jose Valverde for a second day running.

That left the Tigers looking for an extra arm to handle work Tuesday night if Armando Galarraga can't work deep into the game. Enter Fien, who was up with the Tigers for two days a few weeks ago before Ryan Perry returned. Fien pitched two scoreless innings June 30 at Minnesota.

Fien's arrival means third base will fall to Detroit's utility men for at least Tuesday. With the Rangers starting right-hander Tommy Hunter, Don Kelly appears likely to get the start at third base for the second time in three days. Kelly gave Inge a day off Sunday at Cleveland and replaced him at third base in the fifth inning Monday.

Once the Tigers get their bullpen back in order, they have a few options to replace Inge positionally. Jeff Larish has been the primary third baseman at Triple-A Toledo, and is batting .298 with 12 doubles, 10 home runs and 36 RBIs since June 1, but the Tigers did not consider Larish an everyday third baseman during his stints in Detroit.

Scott Sizemore, the Tigers' Opening Day second baseman, has hit well since coming back from injuries and could feasibly return to the big leagues if the Tigers move Carlos Guillen to third, where he played for part of the 2008 season. However, Sizemore just recently came off the DL with a hip injury, and Guillen hasn't played third base since spending half the season there in 2008.

Detroit's best defensive option could be to go with Kelly, an infielder by trade coming up through the Tigers farm system before adding outfield to his resume in recent years in the Pirates and Diamondbacks organizations. He's batting .219 (25-for-114) with Detroit this year with three doubles, a home run and eight RBIs. Fellow Tigers utilityman Ryan Raburn also has experience at third base.

Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedTue Jul 20, 2010 3:23 pm

I don't think we should've called Fien. I'm gonna be upset now, mainly because Kelly is hitting .219 and we could've called Larish.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedWed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Logo_det_79x76Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Pr_header

07/21/2010 3:31 PM ET
Sizemore Recalled; Fien Optioned

The Tigers today announced the club has recalled the contract of infielder Scott Sizemore from Triple A Toledo.

Additionally, the club today optioned the contract of righthanded pitcher Casey Fien to Toledo.

Sizemore hit .329 (55x167) with 32 runs scored, 13 doubles, six home runs and 19 RBI in 41 games with the Mud Hens.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_minipostedMon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Minor League Transactions: Oct. 3-9

Posted Oct. 12, 2010 4:38 pm by Matt Eddy
Filed under: Transactions

This time: Oct. 3-9

The first wave of minor league free agents is upon us. If you're so inclined, follow @eddymk on Twitter for complementary free agent info.

Detroit Tigers
Released: OF Alexis Espinoza, OF Chao-Ting Tang
Granted free agency: RHP Casey Fien, RHP Enrique Gonzalez
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER   Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Casey Fien CAREER TRACKER
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next