DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

Go down 
+2
catbox_9
GoGetEmTigers
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Posted: Saturday February 7, 2009 10:12AM;
Updated: Saturday February 7, 2009 10:58AM

Sources tell SI Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

By Selena Roberts and David Epstein

Story Highlights

• Rodriguez tested positive for Primobolan and testosterone while with the Rangers
  • Under the 2003 survey testing, there were no penalties for a positive test
  • Rodriguez was one of 104 players who tested positive that year

In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated.

Rodriguez's name appears on a list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball's '03 survey testing, SI's sources say. As part of a joint agreement with the MLB Players Association, the testing was conducted to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing across the major leagues in 2004.

When approached by an SI reporter on Thursday at a gym in Miami, Rodriguez declined to discuss his 2003 test results. "You'll have to talk to the union," said Rodriguez, the Yankees' third baseman since his trade to New York in February 2004. When asked if there was an explanation for his positive test, he said, "I'm not saying anything."

Phone messages left by SI for players' union executive director Donald Fehr were not returned.

Though MLB's drug policy has expressly prohibited the use of steroids without a valid prescription since 1991, there were no penalties for a positive test in 2003. The results of that year's survey testing of 1,198 players were meant to be anonymous under the agreement between the commissioner's office and the players association. Rodriguez's testing information was found, however, after federal agents, armed with search warrants, seized the '03 test results from Comprehensive Drug Testing, Inc., of Long Beach, Calif., one of two labs used by MLB in connection with that year's survey testing. The seizure took place in April 2004 as part of the government's investigation into 10 major league players linked to the BALCO scandal -- though Rodriguez himself has never been connected to BALCO.

The list of the 104 players whose urine samples tested positive is under seal in California. However, two sources familiar with the evidence that the government has gathered in its investigation of steroid use in baseball and two other sources with knowledge of the testing results have told Sports Illustrated that Rodriguez is one of the 104 players identified as having tested positive, in his case for testosterone and an anabolic steroid known by the brand name Primobolan. All four sources spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the evidence.

Primobolan, which is also known by the chemical name methenolone, is an injected or orally administered drug that is more expensive than most steroids. (A 12-week cycle can cost $500.) It improves strength and maintains lean muscle with minimal bulk development, according to steroid experts, and has relatively few side effects. Kirk Radomski, the former New York Mets clubhouse employee who in 2007 pleaded guilty to illegal distribution of steroids to numerous major league players, described in his recent book, Bases Loaded: The Inside Story of the Steroid Era in Baseball by the Central Figure in the Mitchell Report, how players increasingly turned to drugs such as Primobolan in 2003, in part to avoid detection in testing. Primobolan is detectable for a shorter period of time than the steroid previously favored by players, Deca-Durabolin. According to a search of FDA records, Primobolan is not an approved prescription drug in the United States, nor was it in 2003. (Testosterone can be taken legally with an appropriate medical prescription.)

Rodriguez finished the 2003 season by winning his third straight league home run title (with 47) and the first of his three MVP awards.

Because more than 5% of big leaguers had tested positive in 2003, baseball instituted a mandatory random-testing program, with penalties, in '04. According to the 2007 Mitchell Report on steroid use in baseball, in September 2004, Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the players' union, violated an agreement with MLB by tipping off a player (not named in the report) about an upcoming, supposedly unannounced drug test. Three major league players who spoke to SI said that Rodriguez was also tipped by Orza in early September 2004 that he would be tested later that month. Rodriguez declined to respond on Thursday when asked about the warning Orza provided him.

When Orza was asked on Friday in the union's New York City office about the tipping allegations, he told a reporter, "I'm not interested in discussing this information with you."

Anticipating that the 33-year-old Rodriguez, who has 553 career home runs, could become the game's alltime home run king, the Yankees signed him in November 2007 to a 10-year, incentive-laden deal that could be worth as much as $305 million. Rodriguez is reportedly guaranteed $275 million and could receive a $6 million bonus each time he ties one of the four players at the top of the list: Willie Mays (660), Babe Ruth (714), Hank Aaron (755) and Barry Bonds (762), and an additional $6 million for passing Bonds. In order to receive the incentive money, the contract reportedly requires Rodriguez to make extra promotional appearances and sign memorabilia for the Yankees as part of a marketing plan surrounding his pursuit of Bonds's record. Two sources familiar with Rodriguez's contract told SI that there is no language about steroids in the contract that would put Rodriguez at risk of losing money.

Arguments before an 11-judge panel in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Pasadena are ongoing between government prosecutors and the players' association over the government's seizure of the test results from the Long Beach lab. The agents who collected the material had a search warrant only for the results for the 10 BALCO-linked players. Attorneys from the union argue that the government is entitled only to the results for those players, not the entire list. If the court sides with the union, federal authorities may be barred from using the positive survey test results of non-BALCO players such as Rodriguez in their ongoing investigations.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 07, 2009 5:38 pm

How come we always hear about how great he is because we're sure he's drug-free? Everyone always said it was safe to assume so. Of course I never made such an assumption as I find it unwise to assume something like that.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSun Feb 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Wonder why this is coming out now. Jose Conseco is probably kicking himself because he wasn't the one who broke the story!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 pm

A-Rod admits, regrets use of PEDs

His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure, I felt like I had all the weight of the world on top of me and I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an exclusive interview in Miami Beach, Fla. An extended interview will air on SportsCenter at 6 p.m. ET.

"Back then, [baseball] was a different culture," Rodriguez said. "It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. And I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. And for that, I am very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, which his ex-wife Cynthia attended, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"To be quite honest, I don't know exactly what substance I was guilty of using," Rodriguez said.

He blamed himself and his $252 million contract he signed with the Texas Rangers in 2001 for his decision to use performance-enhancing drugs.

"Overall, I felt a tremendous pressure to play, and play really well" in Texas, the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I had just signed this enormous contract I felt like I needed something, a push, without over-investigating what I was taking, to get me to the next level."

Rodriguez added: "I am sorry for my Texas years. I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also described the recent turn of events as the biggest challenge of his life but added it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"It's been a rough 15 months here for me," Rodriguez said. "I was stupid for three years. I was very, very stupid."

He also said: "The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be."

Rodriguez said he stopped taking substances after injuring himself at spring training in 2003 with the Rangers.

"It wasn't a real dramatic day. I started experimenting with things that, today, are not legal," he said, "that today are not accepted ... ever since that incident happened, I realized that I don't need any of it."

He said the culture earlier this decade of taking performance-enhancing substances was "prevalent." "There were a lot of people doing a lot of different things," Rodriguez said, noting that he wasn't specifically pointing out the Rangers.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. That conversation happened during the 2004 season. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

According to the Mitchell Report, all players who failed the test in 2003 were notified by September 2004.

Rodriguez said he didn't know for sure he had failed a test until Sports Illustrated contacted him last week.

Orza told The New York Times he did not tip off Rodriguez to a test at the conclusion of the '04 season. "It's not true. Simple as that," he told the newspaper on Monday via e-mail.

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric or CBS?"
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

A bunch of morons on cbssportsline.com are applauding him for admitting it. Luckily there are plenty of people there that will not give him credit for admitting it. He previously stated he never used steroids. Now that he's caught in a lie he admits to it.

All kinds of idiots use steroids so I don't really care, but I do enjoy seeing players I don't like get caught because I know it will make them less popular amongst fans. He said he only used from 2001-2003. Hopefully they can catch him in another lie pray
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Wonder if it's the end of the line for him.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 am

laprimamirala wrote:

No, but it should be! He only admitted it after being caught!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 am

AND he and Madonna are done. she's pretty much implicated that in SI!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 10, 2009 11:26 pm

laprimamirala wrote:

No. I smell an endorsement deal:

Hi, I'm Alex Rodriguez and I used to be a steroid-using drug addict. But then I discovered Folgers coffee. It gives me all the strength I need without all the nasty side-effects from the steroids. Look at me now, I'm filthy rich and attractive enough to temporarily date a woman twice my age. Folgers - the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 am

02/11/09 12:28 AM EST
A-Rod is talk of MLB after admission
Congressmen, Hall of Famer among those to share thoughts

By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com

• Hot Stove on A-Rod, Yankees
  • Oswalt would erase A-Rod's numbers
  • Jeter holding off on reaction to A-Rod
  • SI writer: A-Rod's claim 'absurd'
  • Congress in no rush to summon A-Rod
  • Hall of Famer Brett reacts to A-Rod news
  • NBA stars LeBron, Shaq weigh in on A-Rod
  • Drug Policy in Baseball

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez's catharsis came Monday evening, yet the fallout was still swirling around baseball the following day. Many connected to the man and the game spent Tuesday creating a mosaic of comments, no comments and collective shakes of their heads.

George Brett and Tom Hicks have commented; Derek Jeter hasn't. Donald Fehr has defended his union; Selena Roberts has defended her reporting. Even the President has had his say.

"I was crushed by the news," Brett said on a Kansas City radio program Tuesday. "The one thing I am impressed with is he came right out and admitted it. But I don't think that that's going to -- I mean, God, the poor guy, his career's ruined. And for what? Just trying to compete with everybody else."

Rodriguez admitted to taking steroids from 2001 to 2003 in his interview on ESPN Monday evening, saying that he was "stupid," "naïve" and "deeply regretful." And so many others shared their thoughts the following day, from a Hall of Famer to current players to former teammates and bosses.

It's no secret that Rodriguez wasn't the only user -- his name was leaked off a list of 104 players that tested positive for steroids in 2003 -- and that much became even clearer on Tuesday, when Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada was charged with lying to congressional investigators about the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. Tejada will appear in U.S. District Court on Wednesday, and is expected to plead guilty.
"On one hand, you don't want to see anybody's reputation drug through the mud," Tejada's teammate, Lance Berkman said on Tuesday. "But the competitor in me wants to see, who are these guys that took steroids?

"Say what you will, but who can you trust?" Berkman continued. "If you're a fan, why would you believe anybody? I certainly can see where fans are coming from, and I would respect them for their opinions."

Berkman's teammate, pitcher Roy Oswalt, was even more pointed with his comments.

"A-Rod's numbers shouldn't count for anything," Oswalt said in a phone interview with MLB.com. "I feel like he cheated me out of the game."

Oswalt also said he is bothered by the blanket of suspicion that has covered all players from his era because of the actions of those who have tested positive.

"It does bother me. Especially for the guys that went out there and did it on talent. We're always going to have a cloud on us, and that's not fair at all. This is my ninth year, and I've done nothing to enhance my performance, other than work my butt off to get guys out. I'm going out there with the ability God gave me. They have that ability, too, and they're putting something on top of it."

As a Ranger, Rodriguez was 3-for-5 vs. Oswalt with two doubles, one home run, three RBIs and two walks. Last year, as a Yankee, Rodriguez was hitless in two at-bats against Oswalt.

"The few times we played them, when he got hits, it could have cost me a game," Oswalt said. "It could have cost me money in my contract. He cheated me out of the game and I take it personally, because I've never done [PEDs], haven't done it, and they're cheating me out of the game."

Rodriguez also made waves with his Monday interview when he accused Selena Roberts, the Sports Illustrated reporter who broke the story of his steroid use last weekend, of "stalking" him around his Miami Beach home, his New York City apartment and his gym at the University of Miami. But Roberts rebutted those claims on MLB Network, calling Rodriguez's claim "absurd."

"I've never set foot in the lobby of Alex's New York apartment," Roberts said on the network. "I've never set foot on his property. It's pure fabrication."

Roberts denied stepping "anywhere near his house" in Florida, and there is no indication on the Miami Beach Police incident report that she did. The report mentioned an "altercation'' with a security guard, but a spokesman could not provide additional specifics because police consider the matter closed.

SI is not done reporting on Rodriquez. Rodriguez will be on the cover of this week's SI with the headline, "The latest and the greatest to fall." The magazine is expected to hit newsstands on Wednesday.

As for fans, they've volleyed their opinions from New York to Florida, where some have felt sympathetic to Rodriguez's plight, but many have felt betrayed.

Rodriguez's Yankee teammates, weighing in from the club's Spring Training complex in Tampa, Fla., were more sympathetic.

"Alex is my teammate and Alex is going to be my friend forever," catcher Jorge Posada said, before watching A-Rod's admission on ESPN. "I'm going to support him any way I can."

Jeter spoke similar words on Monday afternoon, but declined comment Tuesday. The Yankee captain said that, to avoid repeating himself, he would not comment on Rodriguez's situation until the full media contingent had assembled in Tampa.

"I think a lot of times with situations where there's controversy, a lot of guys pull for each other and come together," he said. "That's what you hope for in this situation."

Jose Canseco, who in his last book, "Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and The Battle to Save Baseball," claimed he connected Rodriguez with a steroids dealer, did not comment on Rodriguez's admission of drug use. But he told The Associated Press that he would like to meet with MLB Commissioner Bud Selig and players union head Donald Fehr to discuss ideas of how to improve the game's image.

"I think I have the ear of the nation now," Canseco told The AP. "I think everyone realizes I have not in any way, shape or form tried to create smoke and mirrors like Major League Baseball has and the players have. I have been excruciatingly honest about what's going on in baseball."

For Rodriguez, perhaps a more pressing question is what's going to happen next. Though Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings said Monday that he wants to see A-Rod speak in front of lawmakers in Washington, D.C., Edolphus Towns, the new House Committee Oversight and Government Reform Chairman whose committee has questioned Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro over the past four years, told The Associated Press that he doesn't believe speaking to Rodriguez is a priority.

"The American people need leaders who will focus on stemming job losses and getting credit to flow in the marketplace before hearing from yet another person who cheated both himself and the game of baseball," Towns said.

Meanwhile, Marvin Miller, the founder of the Major League Baseball Players Association, called the treatment of Rodriguez and other players a "witch hunt" by the federal government and drug-testing organizations in a story on ESPN.com.

"Everything I've read in the last few days is unfair and anti-union, but that does not mean I agree that (union members) are without blame," Miller told ESPN.com. "When they agreed on a testing program, I said, 'They're going to regret this, because you're going to see players going to jail.'"

And A-Rod's admission reverberated outside of baseball. NBA stars LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal told The Associated Press that Rodriguez's confession was a positive thing for the Yankees third baseman.

"I think it had to be a big monkey for him to get off his back, and I think it will be good for him in the long run," said James, an All-Star with the Cleveland Cavaliers. "It's another big cloud over all baseball, and his accomplishments, but I think it will be good for him in the long run."

Meanwhile, O'Neal, a personal friend of Rodriguez's, had similar things to say.

"He's an honest man," said O'Neal, who won an NBA championship with A-Rod's hometown team, the Miami Heat. "He admitted it, so hopefully people will forgive him. But I really can't elaborate on something I know nothing about."

Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 am

Complete A-Rod coverage
• A-Rod is talk of MLB
• A-Rod admits drug use
• ESPN interview transcript
• Roberts denies charges
• Oswalt: Erase stats
• Congress in no rush
• Jeter mum on admission
• LeBron, Shaq comment
• Hicks feels 'betrayed'
• Bauman: First step
• Brett 'crushed' by news
• Fans chime in
• Fehr defends union
• Orza denies report
• Miami event unchanged
• Reaction mixed in NY
• Texas two-face?
• Former coach reacts
• Floridians sympathetic
• Yankees disappointed
• Yankees statement
• MLBPA statement
• Report: Positive '03 test
• Rangers brass reacts
• Obama addresses news
• Bodley: Burden of proof
• Bauman: Rep tarnished
• Singer: Come clean
• Dominican players react
• Schilling weighs in
• A-Rod's bio, career stats

Sights and Sounds

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video A-Rod sorry for actions
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Hicks 'deceived'
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Yankees respond
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video NY fans react
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Obama comments
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Costas with SI's scribe
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Gammons on MLB.com
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Sullivan weighs in
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video A-Rod faces adversity
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video How will fans react?
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Roberts on charges
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Bowa discusses A-Rod
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Hart on admission
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Ex-GM Grieve reacts
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Duquette on apology
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Cruz Jr. on A-Rod
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Kaat on admission
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Report: Positive test
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Network on aftermath
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Effects of SI report
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Bodley on news
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video What's next for A-Rod?
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Claire on union, A-Rod
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Costas and Harold
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video '60 Minutes' interview
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Union's role in testing
Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video A-Rod career highlights
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 11, 2009 10:05 am

There was a segment on Bill O'Reilly where he has a body language expert look at tapes and see what the person was actually saying....
In the CBS 60 Minutes interview with Katie Couric, A-Rod admitted guilt right there by nodding as he answered, "No" in her direct questioning if he had ever taken steroids....
...sad...
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 am

laprimamirala wrote:
There was a segment on Bill O'Reilly where he has a body language expert look at tapes and see what the person was actually saying....
In the CBS 60 Minutes interview with Katie Couric, A-Rod admitted guilt right there by nodding as he answered, "No" in her direct questioning if he had ever taken steroids....
...sad...

You can't believe anything that he's saying. He claims that the reporter tried to break into his house and the cops arrested her, which is a blatant lie. He claims he only used them from '01-'03, but I don't believe him. I think he was using during his days in Seattle.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 11, 2009 11:28 am

This will undoubtedly be the worst season ever for him, but he's gotta face the music for what he did.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 am

02/12/09 2:35 PM EST
Selig mulls action on A-Rod, HR mark
Commissioner says he's 'saddened' by Rodriguez's steroid use

By Tom Singer / MLB.com

• Steroids impact on MLB records Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Watch
  • A-Rod regrets steroid use Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Video Watch
  • Selig addresses A-Rod, PEDs in statement
  • MLB, union discuss tipping allegations
  • Poll: Half say A-Rod was using longer
  • Cashman prepared to back A-Rod
  • Sports Illustrated piece details A-Rod saga
Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig told USA Today in Thursday's edition that he is contemplating whether a suspension of Alex Rodriguez might be appropriate in the wake of the Yankees third baseman's admission to the use of banned substances from 2001-2003.

"It was against the law, so I would have to think about that," Selig said in an interview with Christine Brennan.

Thursday afternoon, Selig released a statement expanding on his earlier thoughts.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I am saddened by the revelations concerning Alex Rodriguez's use of performance-enhancing substances," Selig said. "While Alex deserves credit for publicly confronting the issue, there is no valid excuse for using such substances and those who use them have shamed the game.

"What Alex did was wrong and he will have to live with the damage he has done to his name and reputation. His actions are also a reminder to everyone in baseball -- under our current drug program, if you are caught using steroids and/or amphetamines, you will be punished. Since 2005, every player who has tested positive for steroids has been suspended for as much as 50 games. Eradicating performance-enhancing substances from the game of baseball has been my first priority over the past decade and it is important to remember that these recent revelations relate to pre-program activity."

Selig also told USA Today that as the March 2 trial date for Barry Bonds approaches, he was considering the reinstatement of Henry Aaron as the rightful home run king in the official record books. Bonds faces charges of lying to a federal grand jury about his alleged use performance-enhancing drugs. Bonds currently holds the career record with 762 home runs, having passed Aaron's mark of 755 in 2007.

"This is breaking my heart, I don't mind telling you that," Selig told USA Today.

The other thing Selig said, according to a column by Bill Madden of the New York Daily News, was that he was "not dismissing" reinstating his friend, Aaron, as the record holder, but admitted that "once you start tinkering you create more problems."

Selig could make such a ruling under the Commissioner's all-encompassing "best interest in baseball" powers. One of his predecessors, Ford Frick, did that in 1961 when he ruled that Roger Maris should have an asterisk next to his one-season record of 61 home runs because it was done in a 162-game schedule as opposed to Babe Ruth establishing his record of 60 in a 154-game schedule in 1927.

As for Rodriguez, a suspension would be a tricky proposition because the test that came up positive was part of an anonymous survey to determine whether use was above a certain threshold in the game.

So, Rodriguez would be paying a price for verifying his use in response to an unnamed-sources leak to Sports Illustrated, and it is unclear whether Selig would want to deter others from coming forward if they were inclined to confess to being among the 104 names on the list that included A-Rod.

"He's open to everything. That doesn't mean he can do everything. He's keeping all options open," MLB senior vice president of public relations Rich Levin told the Daily News.

Additionally, even Rodriguez's "admission" to using outlawed substances to ESPN in Monday's interview was unclear.

"I don't know exactly what substance I was guilty of using," Rodriguez said.

The list of 2003 results that was confiscated as part of the highly publicized BALCO investigation started with 10 players of interest. Rodriguez was not one of the 10 players connected to that inquiry, though he was revealed to be one of the 104 overall tagged as positive in the story that broke Feb. 7 on SI.com. A-Rod confirmed the general accuracy of that article on ESPN two days later.

The New York Times reported in 2004 that Bonds, Marvin Benard, Bobby Estalella, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Armando Rios, Benito Santiago, Gary Sheffield and Randy Velarde were among those who had urine specimens seized as part of the BALCO investigation. Later, it was reported that in June 2006 the house of Jason Grimsley, then a pitcher for the Diamondbacks, was searched as part of the BALCO probe. Grimsley, released by the D-backs, was suspended for 50 games by MLB, consistent with guidelines in an agreement with the Players Association.

It is not known outside the circle of the sealed federal case whether any of those players were connected to positive tests in the 2003 survey of more than 1,000 Major Leaguers, but those were the records originally sought by investigators. After resistance from the union regarding details for the 10 players, federal agents who seized material from the Long Beach-based Comprehensive Drug Testing Inc. (a company that kept records matching names to numeric sample identifications) had a search warrant for the test results of 10 players specifically, and in their search, they discovered on a computer spreadsheet the test results of additional players, raising many questions ranging from whether that material should be destroyed or made public. All the participants were part of collectively bargained testing that was agreed would preserve anonymity. The matter is now in the hands of a California court.

Donald Fehr, the union's executive director, told USA Today he would not expect any action taken against Rodriguez.

"I would be surprised if there was an attempt to [suspend Rodriguez]," Fehr said.

Selig issued a memo in 1997 banning steroids and noted possession of steroids was illegal without a prescription. Players did not agree to punishment for use until 2004, triggered by the more than five percent of players who tested positive in the 2003 exercise.

Brennan wrote a column that included additional details of her discussion with the Commissioner.

"I don't want to create any false hope," Selig said, referring to those, including Brennan herself, who are advocating action, even if just to make a statement and even if it were overturned or unenforceable.

As Brennan wrote, suggesting a "best interest" of the game rationale: "Suspend him for 50 games, suspend him for a week. Just suspend him."

Easier written than done, no doubt, for the aforementioned reason that the A-Rod revelation ultimately was the product of an illegal disclosure.

The BALCO scandal hardly has raised suspicions solely about baseball players.

In a 2004 interview with the ABC program "20/20," and in a bylined story in ESPN the Magazine, the alleged mastermind of BALCO, Victor Conte, claimed he had provided banned drugs to a long list of elite athletes, including track and field superstar Marion Jones (she later served six months in prison for lying in the investigation), world record sprinter Tim Montgomery, former NFL linebacker Bill Romanowski and British sprint champion Dwain Chambers. Former San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield later was connected to BALCO as well and was sentenced to two years' probation for lying to federal agents.

"We are fully committed to ridding our game of steroids and other performance-enhancing substances," Selig said in Thursday's statement. "These drugs and those who use them and facilitate their use threaten the integrity of our sport. It is disappointing that others may have acted to thwart or prevent a legitimate drug testing program from being implemented sooner. That only served to stiffen our resolve. We are very proud of the enormous progress we have made, and it is important to note that the recent revelations are at least five years old and a residue of pre-program behavior. But we will not rest or relax our efforts until the use of these illegal drugs are gone from baseball."

Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 13, 2009 1:07 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
he was considering the reinstatement of Henry Aaron as the rightful home run king in the official record books.

That's stupid because he isn't. There is no debate - Barry Bonds hit more home runs than Hank Aaron. Records aren't about how or why they were broken. 762 is greater than 755. Period.

If you didn't want Bonds to break the record, you should have stopped him, not retroactively tried to take away something that can't be taken away.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedFri Feb 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Yea, things really are messed up now.

And as to A-Fraud, those tests were meant to be a nameless sample to see how bad the drug problem really was. The 104 positive samples LEGALLY NEVER WERE supposed to be available to the federal government to get in their possession. Only the BALCO names and results were under court order for collection.

The 104 players were each notified of their positive test results, and the samples should have been destroyed. I am not saying the use of drugs was ok, but the method of how the info was used and accessed was wrong!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 14, 2009 1:51 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
he was considering the reinstatement of Henry Aaron as the rightful home run king in the official record books.

That's stupid because he isn't. There is no debate - Barry Bonds hit more home runs than Hank Aaron. Records aren't about how or why they were broken. 762 is greater than 755. Period.

If you didn't want Bonds to break the record, you should have stopped him, not retroactively tried to take away something that can't be taken away.

True!

But Selig and MLB had no problem when Bonds was going for the record

It put fans in the seats

Same as when Sosa and McGwire were chasing Roger Maris and his single season HR record
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Baseball has become much more of a dirty game then what it used to be.

If I ever use steroids I will jump off a building. Unless they are prescribed.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Yea, things really are messed up now.

And as to A-Fraud, those tests were meant to be a nameless sample to see how bad the drug problem really was. The 104 positive samples LEGALLY NEVER WERE supposed to be available to the federal government to get in their possession. Only the BALCO names and results were under court order for collection.

The 104 players were each notified of their positive test results, and the samples should have been destroyed. I am not saying the use of drugs was ok, but the method of how the info was used and accessed was wrong!

Yeah, I do have a problem with medical records being released. Yeah, these 104 people shouldn't use steroids, but the tests were not part of routine testing. These are supposed to be confidential medical records and they should have remained confidential. I'd be furious if my medical records were released and they only thing on there worth noting is I broke my arm once.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedSat Feb 14, 2009 7:40 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

If you want to get technical, hydrocortisone is a steroid. Steroids get a bad rap. They aren't inherently bad...improper use of some steroids is; however. Then again improper use of anything is bad.

People that receive organ transplants take steroids for the rest of their lives. Here, steroids aren't bad because not using them would result in organ rejection/ death.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

In regards to steriods

Yes

But it has always been a dirty game

Ty Cobb's style of play; spiking players with his cleats for no reason

Hitters corking their bats

Gaylord Perry throwing spitballs

Joe Niekro using an emory board to scuff baseballs

The 1951 NY Giants using a telescope in CF of the Polo Grounds to steal signs

Just to name a few examples off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 17, 2009 11:11 pm

gs78 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:

In regards to steriods

Yes

"True" home run king* Hank Aaron admitted in his biography that he used greenies (speed). I guess we shouldn't call him the home run king either.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 18, 2009 8:28 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:

In regards to steriods

Yes

"True" home run king* Hank Aaron admitted in his biography that he used greenies (speed). I guess we shouldn't call him the home run king either.

Babe Ruth should be

Unless eating hot dogs, smoking cigars and drinking beer becomes illegal

lol2
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Welp. Since he admitted it and after watching his press conference, I can't get away from the fact that he did roids, but since he was able to talk about it and not lie (cough) Bonds and McGwire and Clemens, I respect him much more.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 18, 2009 10:11 pm

don't forget Mr. CONseco.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Him too!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedThu Feb 19, 2009 11:42 am

02/19/09 12:13 AM EST
MLB wants to speak with A-Rod

By Tom Singer / MLB.com

Major League Baseball investigators want to meet with Alex Rodriguez to get a more detailed explanation of his admitted experiences with performance-enhancing drugs, and the players union has been contacted by the Commissioner's Office to set up the interview.

ESPN.com first reported MLB's plans to question the Yankees third baseman, basing it on two sources, and The Associated Press got confirmation from union general counsel Michael Weiner, who told the AP that the interview would be "non-disciplinary in nature."

According to ESPN.com's sources, investigators intend to question Rodriguez on several points omitted from his two televised confessions, with ESPN's Peter Gammons and on Tuesday upon his arrival to the Yankees' Spring Training camp in Tampa, Fla.:

• The extent of the drug use he claimed was limited to the 2001-03 seasons with the Texas Rangers.

• The identity of the unnamed cousin whom Rodriguez credited with turning him on to and providing the drug believed to be methenolone, an anabolic steroid.

• Whether the cousin had access to Major League clubhouses and hence other players.

• Whether Rodriguez or his cousin supplied drugs to other players.

That last point is critical to any possible punishment of Rodriguez. He cannot be punished for taking banned substances prior to the 2004 implementation of the sport's current drug policy. However, if MLB were to determine he provided drugs to other players, he could be subject to punishment.

ESPN's sources indicated that MLB must formally request a meeting with Rodriguez through the Players Association. The player would be allowed the company of a lawyer and a union representative at any meeting with investigators.

Because he is on a 40-man roster, Rodriguez has the right to have a union representative be present during any interview with management.

Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_minipostedThu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 pm

gs78 wrote:

Babe Ruth should be

Unless eating hot dogs, smoking cigars and drinking beer becomes illegal

lol2

Didn't he play during Prohibition?

I'd say let Willie Mays be home run "king" but maybe he used greenies, too. Anyone post-Ruth is dangerous so I guess Roger Connor is the home run king with 138 HRs!

bow Connor.

Now, can someone figure out why he doesn't count - Harry Stovey would love the record back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003   Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next