DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Andrew Miller

Go down 
+9
bobrob2004
Casey21
TG
prod
SoulRat
mrsrabelo
tigersaint
catbox_9
gs78
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Andrew Miller - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 21, 2009 4:43 am

Sorry

Hug
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 am

Yeah... WTH was THAT?? He couldn't find the plate to save his life last night No What a disaster Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 am

Marlins place Miller on 15-day DL
Young left-hander dealing with right oblique strain

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

04/20/09 11:37 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Neither pitcher nor manager was making any excuses, but it does seem like there was some explanation for Andrew Miller's ineffectiveness on the mound. The Marlins placed the left-hander on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain following his shaky outing against the Pirates at PNC Park on Monday night.

Right-hander Burke Badenhop of Triple-A New Orleans will travel to Pittsburgh on Tuesday morning to fill Miller's roster spot. Badenhop can either start or offer long relief.

Miller evidently first tweaked the muscle in a relief outing against the Mets on April 11. He made his first start of the year on April 15 in Atlanta, giving up four runs over 4 2/3 innings. He had the same line against the Pirates on Monday, prompting the Marlins to make the move. Florida will call up a pitcher to replace Miller on the 25-man roster, but the club was not ready to disclose that name following the 8-0 loss to Pittsburgh.

"It's a little thing, but it just hasn't gotten any better for him," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez explained. "His arm is great, and instead of putting him in a situation where he could hurt his arm, it's better off to back off for 15 days and get him fixed up."

Miller felt the muscle tighten up during his start against the Braves, but he thought it had improved enough in the ensuing days that the worst was behind him. The cold, damp climate in Pittsburgh probably didn't help, but instead of continuing to move forward, it tightened up on him again.

"I made that [relief] appearance and I knew I was coming into the rotation, so I got a lot of treatment," said Miller, who is 0-1 with a 6.94 ERA. "At the Atlanta game, it was pretty tight again. Then it felt so much better every day building up to this, the confidence I had about the muscle going in was that it'd be a little bit of a factor, but I should have no problems pitching through it. By the next one, it should be gone at the rate I thought it was healing. It's not an excuse for some of the pitches I made, but it's just not getting better right now."

Miller had a drop in velocity during his start against the Pirates, a sign the oblique must have been affecting his pitching. Reaching back for that something extra and it not being there can be detrimental to a pitcher's success.

"I felt I didn't have that second gear when I wanted to put somebody away or when I wanted to throw the ball a little bit harder," Miller said. "I felt I was pitching essentially at 80-85 percent."

"I think sometimes you can't power balls the way you want to," Gonzalez concurred. "He was pitching [Monday] at 86-87 mph, and he's usually at 90-92. We can't skip him in the rotation, so we need to use somebody there."

It wasn't immediately clear if that somebody would be the callup from the Minor Leagues. It's possible a reliever will be recalled and someone with starting experience, like Hayden Penn, could be slated into the rotation while Miller is on the mend.

"Whoever we call up is going to help us [on Tuesday]," Gonzalez said. "We'll see what happens with his turn in the rotation."

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. Reporter Joe Frisaro contributed to this story. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedMon Apr 27, 2009 5:15 pm

That last game of his was painful to watch. He's getting hurt way too much Sad
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 07, 2009 1:15 am

Andrew Miller - Page 23 453192

Miller, Marlins top Giants on rainy night
Lefty retires first 12 batters; Cantu, Paulino deliver key hits

By David Villavicencio / MLB.com

06/06/09 10:55 PM ET

Box >

MIAMI -- A rainy Saturday night could not wash out the Marlins as they evened the series against the Giants with a 5-4 victory at Land Shark Stadium.

For the second successive day, the start of the Marlins and Giants game was delayed. The first pitch was delayed 84 minutes and there was an unofficial delay that lasted 21 minutes before the start of the sixth inning. However, the 16,294 fans in attendance watched a solid start from Andrew Miller and a stellar offensive performance from Hanley Ramirez.

The Marlins loaded the bases in the first and were unable to score, but two innings later, Ramirez's double off the big scoreboard in left field scored Chris Coghlan from second. Two batters later, Dan Uggla doubled to send Ramirez home and give Florida a 2-0 lead.

Miller threw four innings of perfect baseball before Bengie Molina doubled to left-center field to open the fifth. Pablo Sandoval then reached on an error by Emilio Bonifacio and, after a Juan Uribe strikeout, Andres Torres doubled to tie the game at 2.

Florida came right back and took the lead in the bottom of the fifth, when Jorge Cantu doubled to left to drive home Ramirez. The Marlins shortstop hit his second double of the game a few pitches before Cantu doubled him home to regain the lead.

Ronny Paulino gave his starter some more support. Florida's catcher hit a two-out double down the left-field line off reliever Justin Miller gave Florida a three-run lead. A former Marlin, Miller supplanted Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez after 4 2/3 innings. Sanchez allowed five runs on eight hits while striking out seven.

After 2 1/3 innings of excellent relief by Badenhop, closer Matt Lindstrom struggled in the ninth and was relieved by Leo Nuñez, who allowed a two-run double before closing it out.

David Villavicencio is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
MLB.com Comments
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedThu Jul 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Marlins in serious talks with Pads about Heath Bell

The Marlins are in serious discussions to try to land Padres closer Heath Bell.

The Padres have been seeking one of two pitching prospects, either Andrew Miller or Sean West.

The Yankees also are showing interest in Bell. But right now the Marlins are in good position to make a deal.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Miller headed to Arizona Fall League
Rangy left-hander to work out kinks after rough '09 with Marlins

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

10/12/09 11:23 AM ET

MIAMI -- Relying so heavily on youth, the Marlins understand the importance of patience.

Not every player is a finished product when they take the field for the first time. Granted, the organization has been spoiled when it has seen immediate success out of players like Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson.

In the case of Andrew Miller, the 24-year-old continues to go through some growing pains.

Still, the organization sees a tremendously gifted player who is looking to put it all together.

The 6-foot-7 former first-round Draft pick is coming off a rough season. He dealt with a demotion to Triple-A New Orleans in July, and then a Minor League disabled list stint due to a right ankle injury. When he returned to the roster, he was used in a relief role.

Miller finished 3-5 with a 4.84 ERA in 20 games, with 14 of them starts.

In hopes of getting Miller on track, the Marlins have sent the lefty to the Arizona Fall League, where he will pitch for the Mesa Solar Sox.

"I've been given a lot of opportunities. I haven't necessarily taken them and run with them yet," Miller said. "But I still think I'm young. I think I have plenty of time to hopefully keep working towards that goal."

When the Marlins acquired Miller from the Tigers in 2007, they were hopeful that he would be a top-of-the-rotation starter. In the blockbuster deal for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis, the Marlins received Miller, outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Burke Badenhop and three other prospects.

Thus far, Miller's first two years with the Marlins have been a struggle. He's a combined 9-15 with a 5.43 ERA in 49 games with 34 starts.

Miller opened 2009 as the Marlins' fifth starter, and he will be given a chance to win a rotation spot in Spring Training.

The history of the game is replete with examples of pitchers who took a while to put it all together.

Randy Johnson, who broke into the big leagues with the Montreal Expos in 1988, labored a couple of seasons and was dealt to Seattle. In 1990, at age 26, Johnson had his first breakthrough season, going 14-11 (3.65) in 33 starts.

Sandy Koufax was 25 when he broke out with an 18-13 season for the Dodgers in 1961.

Not to say Miller's career will at all mirror those of Johnson or Koufax, but they, too, took a while before experiencing consistent big league success.

Like the 6-foot-10 Johnson, Miller is a rangy left-hander who has dealt with command issues early in his career.

An objective in the Fall League is to get Miller some innings while having him refine his delivery.

"I think there are some mechanical problems that are hampering me from throwing pitches where I want to," Miller said. "It's just a process. You have to figure it out as you go."

Because he was optioned to the Minor Leagues in July, and spent time on the disabled list, he was limited to 80 innings at the big league level. For the Zephyrs, he made three starts and was 1-2 with a 7.71 ERA.

And his total Minor League innings, counting some rehab appearances, was 28 2/3. So, he finished 2009 with a total of 108 2/3 innings.

Miller also had limited work in 2008, finishing with 107 1/3 innings with the Marlins, plus another 19 1/3 innings in the Minor Leagues.

The Fall League will give him a chance to build up some innings.

"I haven't thrown that much in general," Miller said. "I've got some things that I'm working on mechanically. In general, my ultimate goal is to throw more strikes.

"It hasn't been easy. I don't think I expected it to be. It is what it is. You try to make the most of it, learn from it, and eventually figure it out.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedWed Feb 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Andrew Miller - Page 23 Mlbf_4992343_th_13

Marlins' Miller eager to take bull by horns
Club hopeful young lefty will blossom at big league level

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

02/10/10 12:08 PM EST

MIAMI -- More than the numbers, the Marlins see the upside in Andrew Miller.

For good reason, because it's glaring. At 6-foot-7, the left-hander has a high ceiling. He can blaze a fastball past a hitter in the upper 90s. And his pitches have the kind of movement that has league insiders using the word "electric" when Miller is around the strike zone.

It's because of his pure natural ability that the Tigers selected Miller with the sixth overall pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.

The fact that he was so highly touted is why Florida insisted on Miller being included in the blockbuster 2007 trade that sent Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera to Detroit.

With Miller, still just 24, the Marlins have shown tremendous patience. They believe he can blossom into a top-flight starter and a fixture in their rotation.

It's just a matter of him doing it. And while the club continues to offer Miller an opportunity, it isn't making any guarantees for a rotation spot as Spring Training nears.

"I've probably gotten a lot of opportunities because of flashes of my potential," Miller said during the Marlins' Caravan, which is running all week in South Florida. "It's basically up to me at some point to show I can find consistency in that potential.

"I've gotten a ton of opportunities with the Tigers and a ton of opportunities with the Marlins. At some point, it's up to me to show that I've deserved it -- that I've put it to use and I'm running with it."

Marlins pitchers and catchers begin working out Feb. 20 at the Roger Dean Stadium complex in Jupiter, Fla.

The club has made it clear that three rotation vacancies remain unfilled. The only locks are Josh Johnson, projected to start on Opening Day, and Ricky Nolasco.

"Obviously, Ricky and J.J., they're going to be there," Miller said. "The rest of us, we're going to have to prove it. There's certainly not bad blood or anything. All the guys get along. Everybody is still young, but we're kind of in different stages of our career."

Miller is in the mix for the other spots with Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad, Sean West, Rick VandenHurk and Hayden Penn.

"We kind of look at it as, all the candidates, everybody has experience pitching in the big leagues," Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said. "They know what's expected of them. Now it's time to win a job.

"We've been patient, and we understand the ups and downs of young players. It's time for them as a group to step up."

In his first two seasons with Florida, Miller has dealt with some nagging injuries. He has been plagued by right knee and right ankle problems, as well as a pulled muscle in his rib cage.

"Unfortunately, whether it's been injuries of just inconsistencies, it's been tough," Miller said. "I think at some point, I have to step in and run with it."

Miller is well aware that his numbers are disappointing.

In 2009, he was 3-5 with a 4.84 ERA. Projected to be in the rotation, Miller started 14 games and made six relief appearances. He was the fifth starter when the season opened, and early on, he felt like he was establishing a rhythm. But he wasn't able to sustain it and his statistics suffered.

The Marlins optioned Miller to Triple-A New Orleans on July 20, and he encountered some more troubles. He spent time on the disabled list with an ankle injury.

"I feel great right now," Miller said. "The ankle, I don't think it's going to be an issue, unless I were to sprain it again. I'm not even taping it.

"That's been one of the most frustrating things for me. I know that I've been inconsistent on the mound, but how much of that has been related to all these injuries that I've had?"

Because of lost time due to injuries in 2009, the Marlins sent Miller to the Arizona Fall League, where he worked on refining his delivery.

Lowering his arm slot is one of the adjustments Miller has made while working with new pitching coach Randy St. Claire and Wayne Rosenthal, Florida's Minor League pitching coordinator.

Along with several other pitchers, Miller already has been working out in Jupiter.

"We're kind of keeping a lot of stuff we've done in the past year or so, but at the same time, I was raising my arm," Miller said. "It was going higher, and higher and higher."

The danger of tinkering too much with any player is the risk of them getting away from what made them prospects in the first place.

"I think that is somewhat what was happening," Miller said. "I was accomplishing some of the things I wanted to work on, but at the same time, I was kind of becoming somebody who I wasn't.

"It's weighing what was working for you in the past, and why was it working, versus what can you change to fill these holes or these problems that you've had."

If Miller doesn't win a rotation spot, he could get a shot in the bullpen or be optioned to Triple-A. Miller has one more option season, which gives the Marlins flexibility when they put together their Opening Day roster.

"We're not ruling anything out," Beinfest said. "Again, those three spots are wide open. We'll do what's best for the team and for the player. If we feel they need to go back because they just aren't ready to contribute, then that will be the decision."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Marlins send Miller to Minors
Left-hander must work on control issues at Triple-A

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

03/26/10 11:44 AM ET

JUPITER, Fla. -- In Andrew Miller, there is elite talent.

To succeed at the big league level, however, the 24-year-old left-hander must first find more consistency. The Marlins are hoping Miller can develop that in the Minor Leagues.

On Friday, Miller was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans in a move that was anticipated, since he is refining his delivery.

Miller had been in consideration for a rotation spot, but foremost, Florida was looking for the 6-foot-7 lefty to repeat his mechanics. With his long arms and legs, he's had difficulties keeping everything lined up.

The fact that he made just three Grapefruit League appearances, with one start, was a clue that the team was looking in another direction for a starter.

"I'd like to think I was in there," Miller said. "I'm not really surprised. I had one start, and I have stuff to work on. I'm going to go down there and I'll keep plugging away. I felt good about my last outing, my last bullpen [session]. I'll look to keep getting some consistency."

Miller has an electric arm, and he's capable of throwing his fastball in the upper 90s. But command is an issue, and it resurfaced in Spring Training, where he's walked eight and struck out two in 7 2/3 innings.

"Nobody wants to go down to the Minor Leagues," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "But Andrew has reached the point where he knows he's making progress, and it's a good thing to go down to the Minor Leagues.

"This is not a demotion. We want him to succeed, obviously. This is a good thing for him. He's got to go down there and prove it, which there is no doubt in my mind he can. Then, he will be back up."

Miller has one more option year left, so this is a big season for the left-hander to see if he will ultimately fit in Florida's plans.

A former first-round pick of the Tigers, Miller was obtained by the Marlins after the 2007 season as part of the Dontrelle Willis/Miguel Cabrera trade.

In two seasons with Florida, he is 9-15 with a 5.43 ERA in 49 games, including 34 starts.

Also on Friday, the Marlins optioned reliever Chris Leroux and catcher Brett Hayes to New Orleans.

With Miller out of the equation, it appears Florida's rotation will be set with Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad and Clay Hensley, a non-roster invitee. Rick VandenHurk and Hayden Penn also are in the mix.

Gonzalez said he would like to set the rotation by Monday.

If Miller figures it out in the New Orleans, he could become a big addition to the rotation. While the team will break camp with five starters, there invariably is a need for depth. A year ago, the Marlins used 11 different starters.

"My plan is to go down there, get as consistent as I can, get on a nice roll and make it tough for them to keep my down there," Miller said.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedMon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Miller struggles with strike zone in loss
Stanton's RBI single among few highlights at plate for Marlins
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 09/29/10 9:18 PM ET

ATLANTA -- A recurring theme caught up again with Andrew Miller.

Unable to repeat his delivery and consistently throw strikes, Miller was tagged for four runs in three innings in his final start of the season.

Brooks Conrad's three-run homer in the third inning and Derek Lowe's successful outing on short rest lifted the Braves to a 5-1 victory over the Marlins on Wednesday at Turner Field.

Miller's final start of the season was another reminder that the left-hander has a ways to go in terms of getting consistency in his delivery.

"The way it started and the point I'm at right now, it's not the way I wanted it to go," said Miller, who is now 1-5. "I think I'm getting closer. I've been saying that for a long time. My stuff was good today. My velocity was good. My changeup was good. I didn't throw too many breaking balls to all those righties. I threw a couple of good ones later in the third inning.

"But [I threw] far too many balls today, and I've just got to find that consistency in the strike zone."

The Braves completed their three-game sweep, strengthening their position to secure the National League Wild Card.

"You know what: Those guys are hungry. They can taste it," said Chad Tracy, who had three of the Marlins' nine hits. "You've got to tip your hat to them."

For Florida, Wednesday was yet another stifling afternoon.

The Marlins concluded their final road trip by going 1-6, including four straight losses. For the season, they were 39-42 away from Sun Life Stadium.

Now 77-81, the Marlins will have to sweep their four-game home series with the Pirates, beginning Thursday, to finish an even .500. But for the first time since going 71-91 in 2007, Florida will have a non-winning season.

Florida's offense managed five runs over the four-game losing streak.

"There was no offense on this road trip," manager Edwin Rodriguez said.

In the seven games on the trip, the Marlins scored 14 total runs.

"There was no offense. We scored what, 14 runs? In the last four games, [five] runs in four games," Rodriguez said. "There were no runs. The clutch hits never came. Hopefully, going back to Miami -- in those last four games, hopefully, we can start getting those clutch hits."

Lowe (16-12) pounded the zone in 5 2/3 innings, striking out nine while giving up one run. Of his 99 pitches, 63 were strikes.

Miller's last start of the season was again a struggle to throw strikes. The lefty walked four in three innings, and 43 of his 77 pitches were strikes.

Miller's lone win this season was against the Braves in Miami on Sept. 3, when he gave up one run on seven hits with three walks in five innings.

"Miller is hard. He'll walk a couple and then he will make some pitches," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "Same thing down in Miami the last time we faced him. It was walk, walk, walk and then we'd line out somewhere and end up with nothing."

In the first two innings, Miller was able to work out of trouble with runners in scoring position. But in the third, the mounting number of baserunners caught up to the left-hander.

Atlanta broke through for four runs, with the big blast being Conrad's three-run homer.

A pair of one-out walks issued by Miller set up the big inning. With two outs, David Ross delivered an RBI double, and Conrad followed with his eighth shot of the season.

Unless Miller is used out of the bullpen in the final series with the Pirates, he will have walked 26 while striking out 28 in 32 2/3 innings.

Boosted by the four-run third inning, Lowe was able to toss 5 2/3 innings on three days' rest. In back-to-back games, the Braves picked up a solid start from a veteran going on short rest.

Tim Hudson gave up one run over six innings in a no-decision Tuesday.

"We did exactly what we had to do. We played three very strong games against Florida," Lowe said.

The Marlins cashed in on Lowe in the sixth inning, scoring on Mike Stanton's two-out RBI single. A single by Dan Uggla and a two-out single by Tracy set up Stanton's 53rd RBI.

Lowe exited to a nice ovation as Peter Moylan prevented any further damage by striking out Brad Davis.

"There's a reason why they're going on short rest, because they're the heart and soul of that pitching staff," Tracy said. "They're expected to go out there and earn that paycheck, and they did."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedMon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Non-Tender Candidate: Andrew Miller
By Mike Axisa [October 30, 2010 at 7:58pm CST]

There is no commodity in baseball more precious than young power pitching, and that goes double if the player happens to be lefthanded. That's the case with Andrew Miller of the Marlins, the sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft and one of the key pieces in the December 2007 trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit.

It's easy to forget that he's still just 25 years old, but it seems like Miller had lived a baseball lifetime. He made his big league debut a few weeks after signing his first contract, throwing 10.1 innings of low-pressure relief down the stretch for Jim Leyland's club. After a brief minor league tune-up the next year, Miller found himself in the Tigers' rotation at midsummer, posting a 5.63 ERA in 13 starts. The next year he was in Florida, and in his three seasons with the Fish he's pitched to a 5.89 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 in 220 innings.

Miller has been bouncing back and forth between the majors and minors throughout his career as he's struggled to find consistency with his delivery and command, and as a result he's now out of options. If the Marlins want to sent him to minors next year, he'll have to first be exposed to the other 29 teams on waivers. There's a chance that will be a non-issue though, because Florida may opt to simply non-tender Miller this offseason.

Thanks to the major league contract he signed out of the draft, Miller earned a touch over $1.79MM in 2010. That original deal expired after 2009, though it paid him $1.575MM that season, which was used as a base for his 2010 compensation. Considering how poorly he's pitched, not to mention the system in general, Miller wouldn't have come close to a seven-figure salary in either of the last two years if he was a regular player with less than three years of service time. Given their financial restraints, it's not tough to see why the Marlins may opt to pass on paying Miller close to $2MM in 2011.

Despite all that, it's tough to walk away from a young lefty that still touches the mid-90's with his fastball. The Kevin Towers led Padres wanted Miller in a potential Heath Bell trade last year,, and I'm sure general manager Michael Hill would be able to drum up some trade interest if he looks around. That would be preferable than a non-tender, since at least Florida would get something other than payroll relief in return.

What do you think the Marlins will do with Miller this offseason? Click here to vote and here to see the results. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedSat Nov 13, 2010 12:12 am

Last Updated: November 12. 2010 9:27PM
Tigers trade Eddie Bonine; Marlins deal former Tiger Andrew Miller
Detroit News staff and wires / Detroit News staff and wires

Detroit— Eddie Bonine is officially an ex-Tiger.

Fox Sports reported Friday afternoon that the right-hander had agreed to terms with the Phillies on a minor league deal. MLB.com followed up by reporting the Tigers made a "last-minute push" to bring him back, but couldn't match the other offer.

Bonine, 29, was 4-3 with a 4.63 ERA this past season. All but one of his 47 appearances was out of the bullpen.

For his major league career, all in the past three seasons with Detroit, he is 7-3 with a 4.74 ERA. The Tigers acquired him from the Padres in the 2005 Rule 5 draft.

The Tigers announced last week Bonine was being outrighted to Triple-A Toledo. He chose to become a free agent.

With the Phillies, he has a good shot of getting plenty of work in the bullpen — especially if they don't re-sign Jose Contreras, Chad Durbin and J.C. Romero, all free agents and major contributors in 2010. Durbin also is a former Tiger. He left the club after the 2007 season, signed with the Phillies and has made 194 appearances over the last three years.

Miller traded to Red Sox

Andrew Miller has been acquired by the Boston Red Sox from the Florida Marlins for Dustin Richardson in a trade of left-handed pitchers.

Miller, 25, taken by Detroit with the sixth overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft, was 1-5 with an 8.54 ERA in seven starts and two relief appearances for Florida over the final 11/2 months of the season. He was a combined 2-9 with a 5.35 ERA at Double-A Jacksonville and Class A Jupiter.

Miller was a teammate of Red Sox reliever Daniel Bard at North Carolina. He is 15-26 with a 5.84 ERA in five major league seasons.

Richardson, 26, had a 4.15 ERA in 26 relief appearances with the Red Sox last season.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101112/SPORTS0104/11120438/Tigers-trade-Eddie-Bonine--Marlins-deal-former-Tiger-Andrew-Miller#ixzz158ExRPjZ
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_minipostedSat Dec 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Okajima, T Buchholz, Andrew Miller non-tendered
Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff
December 3, 2010 12:11 AM

This release from the Red Sox:

The Boston Red Sox tonight announced that the club will not tender 2011 contracts to right-handed pitcher Taylor Buchholz and left-handed pitchers Andrew Miller and Hideki Okajima.

As a result, Buchholz, Miller and Okajima will become free agents. The Red Sox tendered 2011 contracts to the other 21 unsigned players on their Major League roster.

---------------

Just to be clear, the Red Sox can still sign Okajima, Miller and/or Buchholz as free agents.

It's not readily apparent why they would acquire Buchholz (off waivers on Nov. 15) and Miller (trade with Florida on Nov. 12) and non-tender them less than a month later. The Sox actually seemed happy to get Miller at the time.

It will all become clear at some point, presumably. The(y) obviously think they can find better relievers elsewhere or sign these guys for less money then they might have receivd through arbitration. At any rate, the 40-man roster is at 37.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 23 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Andrew Miller
Page 23 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23