DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli

Go down 
+9
iluvpudge7
gs78
TrammMan
swiss_tiger
mrsrabelo
TG
tigerswinloseordraw
laprimamirala
GoGetEmTigers
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Empty
PostSubject: Jason Grilli: Tigers have bad chemistry, stale and stagnant   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 9:34 am

Ex-Tiger Jason Grilli: Tigers have bad chemistry; atmosphere is 'stale and stagnant'

USA TODAY • May 20, 2008

Reliever Jason Grilli, released last month after spending the previous three years in the organization, attributes the Tigers' struggles to a lack of cohesion and too many cliques.

The Tigers managed to show team unity one game last weekend when they took Edgar Renteria's suggestion and hiked up their socks, even playing music before the game. The Tigers won.

Yet instead of repeating the ritual the next day, Ordonez and left fielder Marcus Thames played with their pants low, and the music was off.

"It seems like they kind of broke up our team chemistry when they got rid of Sean Casey and good people like that," says Grilli, now with the Colorado Rockies. "You wanted guys like that around. You wanted a guy like Inge playing behind you, knowing he would go through a brick wall.

"Talent-wise on paper, that is one of the greatest teams assembled, but the atmosphere was stale and stagnant. You kept losing, losing and losing, and everybody became distant. I have good friends over there, and I feel badly for them."

Grilli has a 1.93 ERA in 9.1 innings with the Rockies. He was traded from the Tigers to Colorado Rockies for RHP Zach Simons on April 30.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 9:35 am

I have this on the Grilli ex-Tiger thread too.
Back to top Go down
tigerswinloseordraw
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
tigerswinloseordraw

Female
Number of posts : 301
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 3:19 pm

I'll there today and I hope to see them win. I'll be the girl in the pink cap holding the big glittery #9. Posted here cause I plan to see the Rockies when they come as Jason Grilli promised me an autograph before he was traded. The day before actually .

TigerLove To All
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli's comments: 'He didn't pitch very well in Detroit'

BY JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • May 20, 2008

Tigers manager Jim Leyland responded angrily this afternoon to quotes he read from former Tigers reliever Jason Grilli.

In today’s USA Today, Grilli said of the Tigers, “It seems like they kind of broke up our team chemistry when they got rid of Sean Casey and good people like that. You wanted guys like that around.”
Leyland said: “I really take offense to Jason Grilli’s thing about we lost Sean Casey. You’ve got to be (kidding) me. We lost Sean Casey. I mean, please. Come on.

“Jason Grilli ought to just worry about Colorado.

“Jason Grilli isn’t here any longer because Jason Grilli didn’t pitch good under pressure situations and didn’t pitch very well in Detroit.

“Now you want to tell it like it is, and players want to start talking, then I’ll start talking.”

The Tigers traded Grilli to Colorado a few weeks ago for a minor leaguer.

“Jason Grilli ought to worry about Colorado, not Detroit,” Leyland said. “And don’t misunderstand one thing. I miss Sean Casey. But Sean Casey has nothing to do with the fact that the Tigers are where we’re at.”

Casey was the Tigers’ primary first baseman last season. The Tigers let him go after last season so that Carlos Guillen could move from shortstop to first base. (Guillen has since moved to third, swapping positions with Miguel Cabrera.)

Leyland also appears upset at one or more of his own players for public comments they have made. However, he didn’t specify which players he was referring to.

“People want to start talking about things, and this and that, what this guy is doing, what that guy has done -- they should look in the mirror,” Leyland said at his Tuesday afternoon press conference in the same lengthy answer that began with his comments on Grilli.

“They should look right in that mirror, and look at themselves, and see what they’re doing. And with what some guys are doing on this club, the last thing they should be doing is popping off to the newspaper, because it’s diversionary tactics and they look foolish.

“And you can quote every bit of that.

“There’s nothing wrong with inside the clubhouse,” Leyland continued. “The problem here is between the lines. That’s where the problem is.

“But everybody looks for an excuse, and to me that’s a weak excuse. Look in the mirror.

“If you don’t like what’s going on in the clubhouse, and you’re a player, then say something about it. Put a name to it. Stick your chest out and put a name to it.

“If players want to play games in the press, I’ll play games in the press, and it won’t be very pretty.

“That (clubhouse atmosphere and team chemistry) doesn’t have anything to do with a guy hanging a slider or missing a fastball right down the (middle) or throwing a ball away.”

Leyland’s next comment appeared to apply to this line in the USA Today story: “Some (Tigers) players suggested that the burden of expectations” was “too much.”

The story then quoted Guillen as saying that the Tigers never said they would score 1,000 runs or win 100 games. “That wasn’t fair to us,” Guillen told USA Today.

Leyland said: “It wasn’t fair for people to have expectations -- why wasn’t it fair? What are you talking about it wasn’t fair? We’re supposed to have loved the expectations. And we’re saying it wasn’t fair to have expectations? What are you talking about?”

A moment later, Leyland again said he wouldn’t indefinitely tolerate struggling players who comment on the Tigers’ woes as a whole. Not once in his comments did he name any current Tiger by name.

“I’ll quit protecting some of these guys night after night, and I’ll put some names to it,” Leyland said. “It can’t have a bad effect, because we’ve been as (terrible) as you can be.

“I’m a man. When I’m (terrible), I’m (terrible), and right now I’m (terrible),” said Leyland, who used an expletive that in effect means “terrible.”

“And there are a few (guys) in that clubhouse right now that are (terrible), and they need to look in that mirror. Don’t look in mine. Look in theirs.

“Don’t point fingers. That’s weak.”
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 7:46 pm

I thought Grilli's comment about Casey made a lot of sense! And come on now leyland, you say don't blame other people for what is going wrong with you, So Leyland, Don't freak out about Grilli because you are having some problems!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:00 pm

They said we will probably hear about this rant everywhere!
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Quote :
“There’s nothing wrong with inside the clubhouse,” Leyland continued.

I COMPLETELY disagree with that. What goes on inside of the club house has everything to do with the way those guys play. I seriously think Leyland is on drugs....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 10:33 pm

TigersGirl wrote:
I thought Grilli's comment about Casey made a lot of sense! And come on now leyland, you say don't blame other people for what is going wrong with you, So Leyland, Don't freak out about Grilli because you are having some problems!

I totally agree with you. I honestly don't think he is in his right mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 2:44 am

from article on tigers.com wrote:

Leyland has never been a big believer in clubhouse chemistry affecting a team...
I have to disagree with Jim here! Chemistry and team spirit has a lot to do with winning! If the players don't care about each other, why should they go out on the field and do everything to help each other?
You can't buy a WS ring Jimbo! A team that looks awesome on paper will not win automatically. Wake up!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 2:47 am

TigersGirl wrote:
There is more truth in Grilli's comment than Leyland wants to admit i guess. That's why Leyland is p.o. like that.
Back to top Go down
tigerswinloseordraw
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
tigerswinloseordraw

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 5:02 am

I just wanna go and scream some assorted profanitys at Leyland for keeping Sheff in this line up. The guy needs rest
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 7:32 am

tigerswinloseordraw wrote:
I just wanna go and scream some assorted profanitys at Leyland for keeping Sheff in this line up. The guy needs rest

DL-Central! He's not fully healed and runs the risk of permanent injury!
Back to top Go down
TrammMan
New York Yankee
New York Yankee
TrammMan

Male
Number of posts : 90
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Granderson- NON TIGER Carlos Pena
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm

What Grilli had to say is true.

Not a fan of Grilli but i was SHOCKED that he was traded. The last two years i could understand, but in my opinion he was the best in the bullpen this year when they got rid of him. (may not have actually been the best, but when you compare to what you got from him before, he sure was doing pretty good)

I hate Leyland. He is so over rated it makes me sick. Tigers won last night, great hitting- BUT all through out the game Mario and mainly Rod was giving lungcancer all the credit.

I have never seen a manager get so much credit. You have superstars like Maggs, Granderson, Miggy and so on, but all you hear about is lungcancer.

With having xm for three years and now indemand baseball package, i get to watch or hear almost every game every day. And i dont not hear nowhere as much shit about managers on other teams like you hear about lungcancer.

The only time you hear about managers is when the team is stinking and everyone wants the managers to be fired. But you know what, i have not heard that once (media) since lungcancer took over. Other then out of my mouth and some other fans.

Leyland makes be believe in god, because there has to be a devil that he sold his soul to. (same goes with fudge, mister you can always count on an out)

Edgar had 5rbi last night, but lets give that credit to lungcancer.

I feel bad for miggy the most because, he will end up hitting over 300 30+hr and over 100rbi and if the tigers dont win it will all be on his head.

Something needs to change and leyland is the start. then make Guillen the DH EVERY GAME and throw away his glove because he cant use it. theres even comments on here about miggy playing 3rd bad. im sorry but Guillen is much worse. He is not good at 3rd and 1st and he sure cant play SS either. But they will blame Miggy because Guillen (also known as Sassy Pants in this house) cant throw across the diamond without the ball hitting the dirt 2-3 feet infront of the bag.

Leyland to me has always seemed to me to play people who kiss his ass. (Nefi ring a bell anyone?)

I love what he said when he got the job, (not an exact quote but you get the picture) " I dont care how much someone is making, they will only play because they are doing good". Lets see, Sheff doing good? Nope. Fudge? Not the last two years.

Thames was a big factor to me of the 06 season. What did he get for playing well? Even less time in 07 and now barely any time this season.

The only good thing to come out of this season if the Tigers continue to play like this, is that you wont have to worry about firing lungcancer. He will do it himself. He has great track record with that. And it will be a good day when that happens.

austin

Oh yeah." Leyland is great because he wears cleats". -rod allen
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Sorry Leyland! I agree with Grilli!

You can mumble all you want Jimbo; but something is not right!

Nine Games under 500 in the third week of May is ridiculous!

So is Todd Jones getting a save in a 12-8 Final when you were up 11-1 in the late innings!

Except for Jones; The bullpen has been shaky; Maybe Grilli could not get the job done; but neither can the current Tigers Pen either; except for Jones!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 2:30 pm

I agree with all of you, the team chemistry has a LOT to do with how they play. Just like in the real world, if you and the people you work with don't get along or try to act like a team, Censored ain't gonna be productive.
The thing with wearing the socks up was a great idea!!! In all lines of work you have to do stupid little things and have fun in order to make things work. When I was in management I was always trying to do stupid stuff and fun stuff and it works.
Hell, put me on the team and gimme a few mil, I'll come into that club house every damn day doing a happy dance and make everyone have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 2:45 pm

I'll be a pole dancer for 'em for that much! Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 3:10 pm

I wish they wear the high socks!

Or even some sock!

Magglio wears his pants so low; It looks like it is touching the Comerica Park outfield grass.

At least from my seat it does
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm

gs78 wrote:
I wish they wear the high socks!

Or even some sock!

Magglio wears his pants so low; It looks like it is touching the Comerica Park outfield grass.

At least from my seat it does

His pants are touching the grass. They said most of the players hook the back cuff of the pants under the back cleat of their shoes! The players think the long pants look better, well I disagree! I like the socks out look, that has been standard for most of the history of baseball!

clap to Edgar Renteria for staying with the socks out look!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 3:49 pm

I never cared for Grilli as a pitcher and the time for Leyland to rip him should have happened when he was pitching so LOUSY for this team.

Now, who really CARES what he thinks or says.....even though Grilli is spot on with his comments.

This team and manager is swiftly becoming a punch line... Smack
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 5:26 pm

After listening to this rant of Leyland's, it seems to me that Grilli hit the nail on the head and Leyland is just pissed and embarassed by this guy whom he had man love for for 3 years. He has no other way to respond to it but a whole lot of cussing and he just NOW feels the need to bitch about the way Grilli pitched here?
Back to top Go down
tigerswinloseordraw
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
tigerswinloseordraw

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 10:02 pm

tigersaint wrote:
I never cared for Grilli as a pitcher and the time for Leyland to rip him should have happened when he was pitching so LOUSY for this team.

Now, who really CARES what he thinks or says.....even though Grilli is spot on with his comments.

This team and manager is swiftly becoming a punch line... Smack

It does give us some insight to whats going on. Was really suprised Leyland Ripped into Inge What did he say to the media to piss himoff
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 11:21 pm

At least Brandon was cordial in Tigers Live postgame, and no one asked him about the situation either, so maybe it was a one-time blowup.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 11:24 pm

laprimamirala wrote:

I'd be a pole dancer for free!!! whistle
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 11:28 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

Shocked cmon girl, your goods are not free!!!
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 12:14 am

laprimamirala wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

Shocked cmon girl, your goods are not free!!!

Stunned Lap and Ilovepudge Pole dancing now? Damn! I REALLY need to be a baseball player when I'm reincarnated! whistle tiger

go team
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 1:32 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

LMAO Me too whistle
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 5:38 am

soul! great avatar!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 7:41 am

Thanks! I thought it was cute :haha:
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Yeah, I love that avatar too!!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 12:49 pm

I could go for some bubbly right about now.............
bubble bath, that is! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli   Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Leyland rips ex-Tiger Grilli
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next