DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado

Go down 
+7
gs78
GoGetEmTigers
mrsrabelo
Casey21
catbox_9
laprimamirala
bobrob2004
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Empty
PostSubject: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 pm

NEW YORK -- The Tigers announced today that they have traded Jason Grilli to the Colorado Rockies in exchange for reliever Zachary Simons, a move designed to clear room on the roster for reliever Francisco Cruceta.
Advertisement

Cruceta is expected to join the team in time for Thursday's game against the New York Yankees.

Simons will report to Detroit's Class A Lakeland affiliate.

Grilli was the only relief pitcher to be on the Tigers' active roster for every day of manager Jim Leyland's tenure with the team. He was 0-1 with a 3.29 ERA in nine appearances this season.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Wave :grilli:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Wave
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:18 pm

WHAT IS THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???? NOT JASON!!!!

THIS IS DEVASTATING Perturbed Sad
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 pm

This totally sucks!!!! Every Tiger that I have liked has been traded. Jair Jurrjens, Omar Infante, Mike Rabelo, and now Jason. This sucks royally.

I think I am giving up on Tigers for awhile.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 pm

okay, whose bright idea was this?!?!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 pm

He is doing GREAT this year.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:39 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
okay, whose bright idea was this?!?!?!?!?

whistle
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:45 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
This totally sucks!!!! Every Tiger that I have liked has been traded. Jair Jurrjens, Omar Infante, Mike Rabelo, and now Jason. This sucks royally.

Mrs Rabelo is not allowed to like any Tigers. Sorry sweetie!
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 pm

You know what I think that I am really loving Dave Dombrowski! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedWed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 pm

04/30/2008 8:01 PM ET
Tigers trade reliever Grilli to Rockies
Detroit gets Minor League pitcher, opens spot for Cruceta
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Francisco Cruceta is joining the Tigers bullpen at long last. Jason Grilli is leaving the team that has been a big part of his family since his father pitched for Detroit in the late 1970s.

The Tigers traded Grilli on Wednesday to the Rockies in exchange for Minor League prospect Zach Simons, a Class A right-handed reliever. The move creates room for Cruceta to join the Tigers on Thursday, when he'll try to carry his dominant numbers from Triple-A Toledo into the big leagues.

In an offseason when the Tigers made a slew of acquisitions, Cruceta was their lone Major League free-agent signing, added after spending the entire 2007 season at Triple-A Oklahoma. He was in line to get a shot at seventh- or eighth-inning setup work for Detroit until the Dominican native had trouble getting approval from the Federal government for his work visa. He began the season on Major League Baseball's restricted list before his visa was approved a few weeks ago.

After a week of workouts, Cruceta joined the bullpen in Triple-A Toledo on a 16-day evaluation period before the Tigers had to move him off the restricted list and either add him to the active roster, trade him or outright him to the Minors. Given his performance, it was more a matter of when and how the Tigers would add him.

Cruceta pitched in three games for Toledo, allowing one run on two hits over seven innings with 15 strikeouts.

"Our reports on him have been outstanding," Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "He's been throwing the ball very, very well. Everybody [who has watched him] has said he's ready."

The odd man out in the Tigers bullpen ended up being Grilli. In trading him, the Tigers dealt a mercurial, hard-throwing reliever who had spent the last three-plus seasons following in his father's footsteps of pitching in the Tigers organization.

Signed as a Minor League free agent in 2005, Grilli went from an effective starter at Triple-A Toledo to a versatile man in the Tigers bullpen for the last two years. He led the team and finished fourth in the American League with 79 2/3 relief innings, while stranded 37 of 53 inherited runners.

He had drawn a range of reactions from Tigers fans, inspired in part by a vast difference in his performances at Comerica Park compared to everywhere else. He had a 1.91 ERA and .184 batting average allowed in road games last year, compared to a 7.96 ERA and .335 average at home.

Grilli gave up five runs on seven hits in two innings over two consecutive outings earlier this month against the White Sox and at Boston. Since then, he had scattered four hits over 11 1/3 scoreless innings in his last six appearances.

That wasn't enough to keep him off the block when Cruceta showed he was ready.

"Jason's pitched better, no question," Dombrowski said. "He's pitched well for us recently. But we were in a spot [where bullpen roles were determined]. We think Zach [Miner] is throwing the ball much better [now compared to earlier this season]. We think he deserves to stay here. We had to make a decision one way or another."

Grilli had anticipated a choice like that.

"I'm arbitration-eligible," Grilli said. "There's several guys here who pretty much can do the same thing as me. Miner's got a year and a half of doing the same kind of role. [Armando] Galarraga's doing a heck of a job. He's got [Minor League] options. I know this business. With Cruceta and all the hype and talk about him, they're trying to create a roster spot. There's things happening around here. It's been on the tip of the tongue since Spring Training, even this offseason.

"I won't be the last. When one move gets made, there's usually several others that follow."

Nevertheless, the move drew mixed emotions from Grilli, still clearly stung by boos at home earlier this season but anticipating a deal that could put him on another club.

"I think I did a good job for what my role was," Grilli said. "I know there's a lot of people who probably would think differently. But to those people, I'm going to say thank you, because I'm a bigger person than people who don't like the way my eyebrows are, my face, or the way I pitch.

"Maybe I was the lightning rod for that on this team. But I surely didn't get cheered as much for the role that I was given, I thought."

Simons, a 22-year-old right-hander drafted by Colorado in the second round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, has made seven relief appearances for Class A Modesto. He has allowed four earned runs on 12 hits in 13 1/3 innings, walking nine and striking out 14.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 1:53 am

I am surprised that the Tigers traded Grilli.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 2:07 am

I wondered who it would be. I can see why it was Grilli, due to the lack of minor league options. Had they tried to send him down, another team would have grabbed him and the Tigers would not receive anything in trade.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu May 01, 2008 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 2:17 am

Bye Grilli!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 7:57 am

Damn, Im gonna miss him.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 11:25 am

Wave Jason! Now....I just pray Cruceta lives up to all the hype! If so...the Tigers just became a Much better team! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 12:52 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
Damn, Im gonna miss him.

At least now you can wear his shirt and say it was true so Det got rid of him!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedThu May 01, 2008 2:01 pm

Haha, maybe I could.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 12:25 am

05/01/2008 9:42 PM ET
Leyland hopes Grilli gets fresh start
Beleaguered reliever traded to Rockies on Wednesday
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Jason Grilli left the Tigers on Wednesday showing his aggravation with the boos he received from fans in Detroit. A day later, manager Jim Leyland hoped that Grilli's trade to the Rockies will give him a fresh start.

"I just think sometimes it's best for somebody to move on," Leyland said.

Grilli mentioned the reception he had at home when he talked with reporters on Wednesday afternoon following the trade.

"I think I did a good job for what my role was," Grilli said. "I know there's a lot of people who probably would think differently. But to those people, I'm going to say 'thank you,' because I'm a bigger person than people who don't like the way my eyebrows are, my face, or the way I pitch.

"Maybe I was the lightning rod for that on this team. But I surely didn't get cheered as much for the role that I was given, I thought."

Leyland observed that the boos seemed to affect Grilli, whose statistics were far worse at Comerica Park than they were on the road last year and again this season. Moreover, Leyland said that it reached the point where it could affect how he laid out his bullpen for home games.

"I think it was starting to get to him," Leyland said. "Nobody likes to get booed. That's all part of the business. I don't have any problem with it. It's just that if you feel like you're in a situation where you're starting to get real conscious about using him at home, when you go into a homestand basically with, you think, 11 pitchers [to use rather than 12], that's not good. I wanted to protect him as much as I could."

Five out of Grilli's nine appearances this season came at Comerica Park, but he pitched 8 1/3 innings on the road compared with 5 1/3 at home. His 5.06 ERA in home games dwarfed his 2.16 ERA away from Detroit.

Grilli could still end up pitching in Detroit this season, since the Rockies visit the Tigers for a three-game Interleague series at the end of June, but that'll be it.

Leyland cautioned that he was not criticizing Grilli, whose services he appreciated for the last two-plus seasons.

"This guy took the ball whenever I asked for the last two-plus years, never turned the ball down, had a resilient arm and did a lot of good things for us," he said. "I think that he was a very useful pitcher for us. But do I, in my heart, think that it was starting to get in his head a little bit? Yes, I do. And when that kind of stuff happens, I think you're best to move on."

"I think he'll be fine. I mean, his stuff is good. He throws 94-, 95-mph. This guy has done a lot of good jobs for us over the last two years-plus. So I think he's a very usable Major League pitcher. When a team's not doing good, sometimes one guy becomes the [scapegoat] if they're not doing good. And I'm certainly not blaming Detroit fans or anybody else. That's life."

The heart of the decision, Leyland said, came down to keeping Grilli or fellow right-hander Zach Miner.

"I've got nothing but great things to say about him," Leyland said of Grilli. "But it was time to make a decision. Basically, at this point, we decided to keep Miner over Grilli. That's what it boils down to, because they were both struggling at the start, and they both pitched a little better later. We made the decision to keep Miner over Grilli."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 12:50 pm

I would how the fans will react if Grilli pitches against the Tigers when the Rockies come to town in June
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Casey21 wrote:
WHAT IS THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???? NOT JASON!!!!

THIS IS DEVASTATING Perturbed Sad

I guess it all depends on your point of view. I personally think this move is LONG overdue.

Good luck Grillmeister!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 1:00 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:

Would you mind "liking" Jacque Jones next please?? whistle
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 1:04 pm

tigersaint wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Would you mind "liking" Jacque Jones next please?? whistle

Saint!

... Maybe this is why it took so long for them to trade Mesa and Neifi... nobody liked them.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 1:06 pm

I liked Grilli, just not his pitching......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado   Tigers trade Jason Grilli to Colorado Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: