DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play

Go down 
+2
Casey21
GoGetEmTigers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Empty
PostSubject: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:22 pm

05/12/2008 8:41 PM ET
Cabrera turns unassisted triple play
Second baseman snags liner, jumps on second and tags runner
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CLEVELAND -- Cliff Lee must be living right.

As if his infinitesimal ERA wasn't enough proof, Lee was the beneficiary of one of baseball's rarest and most special plays on Monday night. In the fifth inning of Game 2 of a doubleheader with the Blue Jays at Progressive Field, second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera turned an unassisted triple play in Lee's favor.

The Jays had Kevin Mench on second, Marco Scutaro on first and Lyle Overbay at the plate. With both runners going on a hit-and-run, Overbay hit a sinking liner up the middle that Cabrera dove for and caught. Cabrera then tagged second to retire Mench and tagged Scutaro for the third out.

How rare is the unassisted triple play? Well, this was only the 14th in Major League history, including postseason play. It was the first since the Rockies' Troy Tulowitzki pulled off the feat on April 29, 2007, against the Braves.

This was just the third unassisted triple play turned in the Tribe's long history and only the club's second in the regular season. Infielder Neal Ball turned one on July 19, 1909. The last time it happened came Oct. 10, 1920, when Bill Wambsganss turned one in Game 5 of the World Series against the Brooklyn Robins.

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 3:24 pm

That is so cool! Glad it wasn't against Detroit!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 3:30 pm

That's quite an impressive feat. 2 years in a row we've seen one of these. Last year was a 6U-6U-6U TP, this year it's 4U-4U-4U TP.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 1:11 am

Wish the Tigers could turn one!

Heck I be happy to see a pitcher go nine in a game.

Carmona and Lee went nine in both games of the DH.

When was the last time the Tigers did that? I bet Kaline was still playing the last time Tigers starters went nine innings in both games of a DH. Home or Road!

Hell! I be happy to see a regular DH; Especially in 54 degree weather[ be a long time for it is that cool at Comerica Park for a game again]

Tigers should have waited it out longer on Sunday! They could have played the game against the Yankees. Probably be the Last time I will be wearing anything other than a T shirt to a game.

Only 52 degrees on Sunday! All for naught! Great call Ilitch and DAVE D!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 11:42 am

Well, it does seem like the TP's are happening more frequently now...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 4:54 pm

I want to see Renteria or Polanco do one!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 6:10 pm

gs78 wrote:

Even better, I want to see Granderson turn an unassisted triple play. How would that work?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 6:48 pm

gs78 wrote:

I want to see Renteria NOT make a throw like he did last night Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_minipostedThu May 15, 2008 1:29 am

True!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play   Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Asdrubal Cabrera turns unassisted triple play
Page 1 of 1