DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Minor-league pact for Pavano?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Minor-league pact for Pavano? Empty
PostSubject: Minor-league pact for Pavano?   Minor-league pact for Pavano? Icon_minipostedTue Dec 11, 2007 2:42 pm

Y KEN DAVIDOFF | ken.davidoff@newsday.com
December 11, 2007

Carl Pavano has hired a new agent, Shoreham native Tom O'Connell, and has not yet decided whether to accept a minor-league contract from the Yankees, O'Connell said yesterday.

The Yankees want to release Pavano from his four-year, $39.95-million contract (which runs through 2008) to open a spot on their 40-man roster. That roster is full right now, and the Yankees have to make room for Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez, both of whom have agreed to return, as well as new reliever LaTroy Hawkins.

By giving Pavano the $11 million they owe him for 2008, as well as the $1.95-million buyout for 2009, the Yankees would officially kill their agreement with the 31-year-old Pavano, arguably the worst free-agent signing in the history of the franchise. In three seasons, he started 19 times and won five games.

By subsequently re-signing him to a minor-league deal, the Yankees could keep Pavano on their grounds as he rehabilitates his right elbow, in the highly unlikely event that he recovers from last June's Tommy John surgery to pitch this year.

O'Connell will become the fourth agent to try representing Pavano, who has earned a reputation for surliness. Preceding O'Connell have been Casey Close, best known for representing Derek Jeter; Scott Shapiro, who negotiated Pavano's contract with the Yankees three years ago, and Gregg Clifton, whose client list is topped by future Hall of Famer Tom Glavine.

"I met with Carl today in New York," O'Connell said yesterday as he boarded a plane back to his home in Florida. "I met Carl through [former A's and Blue Jays infielder] Frank Menechino, and he hired me on Friday."

The agent confirmed that the Yankees intend to release Pavano, who met with general manager Brian Cashman on Friday. Said O'Connell: "I haven't had a concrete conversation with Brian yet. I'm sure we're going to talk either today or tomorrow. I'm kind of getting my arms around the whole thing."

The 40-man roster moves might constitute the most excitement the Yankees create the rest of the offseason. Hank Steinbrenner said Sunday that the Rivera and A-Rod signings should be announced this week or next week.

With Hawkins in the fold for one year and $3.75 million, the Yankees have two veterans - Hawkins and Kyle Farnsworth - to whom new manager Joe Girardi can look in building the bridge from the starting pitchers to Rivera. The Yankees also hope to integrate youngsters such as Ross Ohlendorf and Jose Veras, both of whom made their 2007 postseason roster, and possibly convert Alan Horne from a starter to a reliever. Lefthander Sean Henn could get another chance and Ron Villone could be brought back on a minor-league contract, a plan to which Villone agreed this past season.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Minor-league pact for Pavano? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minor-league pact for Pavano?   Minor-league pact for Pavano? Icon_minipostedTue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm

bump
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1