DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Empty
PostSubject: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedTue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 am

Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Jared DeVries out for season; Lions sign Shaun Smith
John Niyo / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Shortly after Lions defensive end Jared DeVries, the team's second-longest tenured player, was carted off the practice field because of a ruptured Achilles tendon, free-agent defensive lineman Shaun Smith was seen on the balcony alongside Martin Mayhew, the Lions' general manager.

It was a bit of unintentional foreshadowing. Because while DeVries is lost for the year -- he'll undergo season-ending surgery soon -- Smith is getting a second chance, agreeing to a one-year contract with the Lions, his agent, Neil Schwartz, confirmed Monday. The deal is worth about $1 million.

Smith, a 6-foot-2, 325-pound veteran, was released by Cleveland on Saturday. He'd visited St. Louis on Sunday and was scheduled to leave Detroit to visit Tampa Bay and Buffalo but opted instead to sign with the Lions, who've spent much of the offseason looking for free-agent help on the defensive line.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Aug 17, 2009 10:04 pm

Monday, August 17, 2009
Lions sign WR Dane Looker, guard Terrence Metcalf

Allen Park -- The Lions made two roster moves Monday, signing receiver Dane Looker and guard Terrence Metcalf, and releasing receiver Bobby Sippio and tackle Kirk Barton.

Looker, 33, was a free agent who spent the last seven seasons in St. Louis, where Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was the Rams' head coach the last three years.

Metcalf, a 6-foot-4, 310-pound veteran, spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Chicago Bears prior to getting released in March. He appeared in 84 games for the Bears, making 25 starts. Last season, he served a four-game NFL suspension for violating the league's steroid policy.
Back to top Go down
jmccurry08
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 187
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : dontrelle willis
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Is Looker any good, maybe he can replace Furrey who went to Cleveland
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Monday, September 7, 2009
Schwartz: Stafford gets start in Lions season opener at New Orleans

Allen Park -- It's the kid's turn first, and perhaps for good.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz announced after practice Monday that rookie Matthew Stafford, the team's No. 1 overall draft pick, will start at quarterback in the season opener Sunday at New Orleans. Stafford and veteran Daunte Culpepper were locked in a battle for the No. 1 job throughout the offseason and training camp.

"I was very pleased with what (Stafford) did in the preseason, going back to rookie minicamp and straight through," Schwartz said. "I think he's proven every step along the way that he's ready."

Schwartz was asked Monday if he was committed to weathering the bumpy road with a rookie starting quarterback this season.

"This isn't an internship, this isn't a trial basis," Schwartz said. "He's our starting quarterback."

Greg Landry, the franchise's last Pro Bowl quarterback, was the last rookie quarterback to start a season opener for the Lions. Rodney Peete was on track to start as rookie in 1989 before getting injured in the Lions' final preseason game.

Stafford, who was all smiles in the locker room after practice, was asked what his expectations are.

"To try to win football games," Stafford said. "I think that's everyone on this football team's expectations. Get out there, be competitive and give ourselves a chance to win some games and that's what I'm going to do.

"I've been through success, I've been through failure, I've been through a lot even this preseason. I've played good in some games, poor in some games and I've made some bad decisions. But I try to learn from everything, whether it be throwing a touchdown pass and doing something right or learning from an interception and a fumble and just a bad read. I'm going to take every play and every game as a new situation and definitely get out there and compete my butt off and try to get some wins"

Said Schwartz: "My job as head coach is to do what I think is best for us to win," Schwartz said. "And that was one decision where you could see both sides of the equation. I'm very, very comfortable with the quarterback position here, not only No. 1 and 2, but also (No.) 3. The thing that made it difficult wasn't that we only had one. It was how can we best go forward here. I think we can win with Daunte Culpepper. I think we can win with Matt Stafford. I think we can win with Drew Stanton. And that's what made it a difficult decision."

The raw numbers didn't make it any easier. Stafford had two starts among four preseason games, going 30-of-55 for 389 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions and a fumble. Culpepper was more efficient, going 22-of-34 for194 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. Each led the first-team offense to a touchdown and a field goal in the preseason.

But Stafford was more aggressive -- and effective -- going downfield in the passing game, with seven completions of 20-plus yards, and three for more than 30 yards. Culpepper had just one 20-yard completion in three games.

"The criteria was he needed to be ready and he needed to be our best quarterback," Schwartz said. "And I thought in both of those cases (he was). His command of the offense is very good, his command of what defenses are doing is very good. And what he needed to do is play. I think he had a very good preseason. The stats might not bear that out, but stats also don't bear out touchdown receptions that are taken away by holding penalties and things like that.

"He was on the field 15 snaps, I think, with Calvin (Johnson) and in those 15 plays you saw what a dynamic that brings to our offense and the big plays that were there because of it."

Culpepper declined to comment after practice Monday. But Stafford was deferential in victory, saying, "I can't ask for a better guy to learn from and have in my corner."

And Schwartz also praised Culpepper, who shed 30-plus pounds in the offseason after coming in as the starter last season -- signed out of semi-retirement in early November -- at more than 290 pounds. Reunited with former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, he says he feels as good as he did when he was an MVP candidate with the Minnesota Vikings in 2004.

"I want to say this: Daunte Culpepper is back," Schwartz said. "There's no doubt in my mind -- I don't think there's any doubt around the league. The commitment that he made over the last six months to get back to being a starting NFL quarterback, I mean, that's obvious, that's apparent. He's gonna be back as a starting quarterback at some time in this league."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Sep 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Monday, September 7, 2009
Lions roster has plenty of new faces

The new-look Lions remain a work in progress -- and they'll keep top claim priority on the waiver wire until at least Sept. 28 -- but already it's been quite an overhaul.

Only 20 players on the 53-man roster remain from the start of last season. Here's a breakdown:

Quarterback (3)

Daunte Culpepper, Matthew Stafford, Drew Stanton

Comment: Who's the starter? Coach Jim Schwartz isn't saying, but Stafford, the rookie No. 1 overall pick, probably won't sit for long, if at all, behind the veteran Culpepper. Stanton's knee surgery last week might force a move to sign an emergency third quarterback for the start of the season.

Running back/fullback (5)

RB -- Kevin Smith, Maurice Morris, Aaron Brown; FB -- Jerome Felton, Terrelle Smith

Comment: Kevin Smith looks ready to build on a solid rookie season now that he's a full-time starter in a more creative scheme. Morris is a dependable backup who can start if needed. Brown flashes speed and playmaking ability -- he'll play a role in the return game -- but the rookie has a long way to go before he's trusted in key situations. Felton looks like the starter at fullback, but both are solid.

Wide receiver (5)

Calvin Johnson, Bryant Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Derrick Williams, Yamon Figurs

Comment: Calvin Johnson is the lone holdover from last season's roster here, with Adam Jennings getting released Sunday to make room for Figurs, the speedy returner claimed off waivers from Baltimore. The Lions are counting on Johnson to add a vertical threat opposite Johnson, while Northcutt is pegged to be the slot receiver, though he missed all of the exhibition season with a thumb injury. Williams flopped as a returner in the exhibition season -- enter Figurs -- but made some plays at wideout and still has potential.

Tight end (3)

Brandon Pettigrew, Will Heller, Casey FitzSimmons

Comment: Pettigrew missed much of camp with a thigh injury, but he'll be the starter from Day 1, bolstering the running game as a blocker while also providing a big target as a receiver. FitzSimmons adds something as a receiver and a more-than-willing player on special teams, while Heller's the second blocking tight end.

Offensive line (9)

T -- Jeff Backus, Gosder Cherilus, Jon Jansen, Ephraim Salaam; G -- Daniel Loper, Stephen Peterman, Manny Ramirez; C -- Dominic Raiola, Dylan Gandy.

Comment: The offensive line started to establish a bit of an identity in the exhibition season, making good on Schwartz's promise to show a more physical, power running game. Veteran backup tackles in Jansen and Salaam add depth that wasn't there a year ago. One of the team's few fights for a starting position remains at guard, where Ramirez keeps pushing Loper on the left side. Gandy can fill in at guard or center, though Raiola's as durable as they come.

Defensive line (9)

E -- Cliff Avril, Dewayne White; Jason Hunter, Andre Fluellen, Copeland Bryan; T -- Grady Jackson, Sammie Hill, Landon Cohen, Orien Harris.

Comment: Ikaika Alama-Francis joined the list of cuts Sunday, replaced by Bryan from Buffalo. But the release of Shaun Smith was a mild surprise, leaving Landon Cohen as the likely starter at tackle next to Grady Jackson, who likely will avoid NFL suspension stemming from last year's StarCaps case. Jason Hunter will try to keep the starting job at left end, but Avril will play in pass-rushing situations regardless.

Linebacker (6)

Ernie Sims, Larry Foote, Julian Peterson, Jordon Dizon, DeAndre Levy, Darnell Bing

Comment: The biggest position upgrade clearly comes at linebacker, where Peterson, a five-time Pro Bowler, and Foote, a two-time Super Bowl champ, replace starters that aren't even on an NFL roster right now. Levy was arguably the brightest spot in the exhibition season, while last year's rookie, Dizon, also has made strides.

Defensive backs (9)

S -- Louis Delmas, Marquand Manuel, Kalvin Pearson, Ko Simpson; CB -- Phillip Buchanon, Anthony Henry, Eric King, Will James, Marcus McCauley, Kevin Hobbs.

Comment:
A lot will be expected of Delmas as a rookie -- probably too much. But his versatility as run/pass defender is critical to the success of this defense. Neither Pearson -- the lone DB holdover from 2008 -- nor Manuel, who was hampered by an injury in camp, laid claim to the other starting job, so that duty may fall to Simpson as soon as he gets settled after Friday's trade with Buffalo. At cornerback, Buchanan and Henry are the starters, with King as the nickel back, but the waiver claims of McCauley and Hobbs could mean Henry's moving to safety at some point.

Special teams (3)

Jason Hanson, Nick Harris, Don Muhlbach

Comment: Hanson's recovering from minor knee surgery but hopes to be ready for the opener. If not, Billy Cundiff could get another call. The kicking game was a rare strength for the Lions last season, and should be again.

john.niyo@detnews.com (313) 982-3810
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedSat Sep 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Lions sell out Home Opener

Game will be on FOX 2 at 1pm!

GO LIONS!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedWed Oct 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Lions have a bye week this week; They sure do need it;

Johnson; Culpepper, Stafford and the rest of this injured bunch need to get healthy; otherwise Lions are finishing 1-15
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 pm

Posted by John Niyo (The Detroit News) on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Stafford on his critics: 'They're not gonna run me out of town'

If Matthew Stafford is Clifford Peache, then Dominic Raiola is Linderman. Call it "My Bodyguard 2: The Sequel," and give the Lions' offensive captain credit for defending his rookie quarterback, even if you want to question Raiola's short-tempered (and foul-mouthed) methods.

Stafford got his first official taste of the Joey Harrington treatment Sunday in a 17-10 loss to St. Louis at Ford Field. And Raiola didn't like it one bit, jawing with fans who were taunting Stafford from the stands behind the Lions' bench in the final minute of the game.

"That just hit home with me," Raiola said. "Because I've been through it with Joey (Harrington). They sent him packing, quick. They're not gonna do it to this guy. I'm gonna be right here next to him."

Stafford wasn't available to the media Monday, but he was asked about Raiola's outburst during his weekly WJR radio appearance.

"He didn't say anything terrible," Stafford said. "It was, you know, 'Give him a break. Get outta here.' That kind of thing. It wasn't a big-time verbal altercation or anything. But he's right. They're not gonna run me out of town. So I'm not too worried about it."

Added Stafford: "I was standing by the water cooler and just gettin' it from fans, and that's understandable. They want to win probably as bad as we do. It's understandable that they're gonna get after guys when your team's not playing well. I like to think that I do a pretty good job of just letting that stuff go.

"Dom was just standing there saying, 'Hey, man, don't let that stuff get to you.' And I know that. I've been in tough situations before. It's just great to have a guy like Dom on your side."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedThu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Posted: Nov. 5, 2009
Ex-New Orleans DB joins Lions
David is rusty, but could see action Sunday vs. Seahawks

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Another day, another DB.

The Lions continue to shuffle their secondary, signing cornerback Jason David and putting Demarcus Faggins (groin) on injured reserve.

Coach Jim Schwartz and his staff could play David as soon as Sunday at Seattle.

"We get a new guy every week, it seems like," defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said Wednesday. "And it was funny, Jim asked last night or the night before: 'Has anybody talked to the new guy yet?' And both secondary coaches said: 'We met with him for 5 hours.'

"We're doing everything on the run. We'll see later on in the week how we're going to use him."

David has a lot of catching up to do physically and mentally. The Saints released him after their first exhibition. He said he tried out for the Browns and Seahawks soon afterward but failed both physicals. So he rehabbed a shoulder problem, worked out and waited.

"When people say, 'He was just literally on the streets,' that's kind of how I was," David said. "I was still trying to work out as much as I can and backpedal and stuff, but it's not the same as actually putting on the pads and strapping it up. ...

"You're never really prepared for the speed of the game. It's going to take me a minute to just kind of get my legs under me."

The Colts drafted the 5-foot-8, 180-pounder in the fourth round in 2004. He started for them for three seasons -- and started Super Bowl XLI -- before spending two years with the Saints. He has 16 career interceptions, including five last season.

"He's not very big, but he's got a knack for getting the ball," Cunningham said. "We need to do that. We only got one turnover last week, and we're shooting to get some more turnovers."

The Lions have intercepted five passes, one more than last season, but still are tied for 24th in the NFL this year. They have three interceptions by defensive backs, two more than last season, but still not good.

They are allowing opponents to complete 70.5% of their passes, second-worst in the NFL.

The secondary has been in constant flux -- in terms of the roster and lineup -- because of injury and performance.

The starting corners likely will be Will James and Phillip Buchanon again Sunday. Anthony Henry is practicing as a starter on special teams but not on defense.

But the Lions are coming off their best performance on pass defense this season. They held St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger to 17-for-35 for 176 yards, no touchdowns and an interception.

"I think we're seeing improvement in the secondary," Schwartz said. "We need to stay on that track and settle it down and move forward for the second half of the season."

Contact NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA: 313-222-8831 or ncotsonika@freepress.com. Check out his Lions blog at freep.com/section/blog21.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedTue Nov 24, 2009 7:28 pm

Last Updated: November 24. 2009 5:12PM
'Dramatic' Stafford wiring from game to air Wednesday
Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was wired for sound by NFL Films during Sunday's dramatic 38-37 win over Cleveland.

NFL Films president Steve Sabol called it "the most dramatic player wiring ever."

NFL Films has wired for sound more than 350 players since 1965. "Stafford has earned a lasting place in the cinematic folklore of the NFL," Sabol said.

Stafford injured his left shoulder on the next-to-last play of Sunday's game at Ford Field when he was tackled by Cleveland's C.J. Mosley. He left the game, but returned following a timeout to throw the winning pass to tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

Highlights from this wiring will be on Sound FX on the NFL Network on Wednesday at 4 p.m. and on Inside the NFL on Showtime at 9 p.m., also Wednesday.

The NFL Network also will show a replay of the game Wednesday at 8 p.m.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_minipostedTue Nov 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Lions' Matthew Stafford honored as NFC Offensive Player of the Week
By Tom Kowalski
November 24, 2009, 2:45PM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford, who threw for 422 yards and five touchdowns in a 38-37 win against the Cleveland Browns last week, was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Stafford threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Brandon Pettigrew on the final, untimed play of the game to secure the victory.

"I just got that news. It's a huge honor, it's awesome,'' Stafford said. "I didn't expect that one to happen. I'm thankful. You've got to give a lot of credit to the guys catching the ball and blocking in front of me. Without them, it wouldn't have happened.''

Stafford said he's not sure if he'll play Thursday against the Green Bay Packers. He suffered a separated left shoulder on the final play of regulation and did not practice today.

"It's a big game for us,'' Stafford said. "It's getting better.''

Stafford said he'd be able to play in Thursday's game even if he doesn't practice all week and said he probably wouldn't know his health status until Thursday morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS   2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2009/2010 LIONS TEAM NEWS
Page 1 of 1