DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Matt Treanor Career Tracker

Go down 
+3
GoGetEmTigers
catbox_9
bobrob2004
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Matt Treanor Career Tracker Empty
PostSubject: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedWed Dec 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Matt Treanor Career Tracker Ph_276354

Matt Treanor

Matthew Aaron Treanor (born March 3, 1976 in Garden Grove, California) is a Major League Baseball catcher who is currently a free agent.

High school years

Treanor attended Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California and was a standout baseball player. As a senior, he was a second-team All-America pick and was named to the all-tournament team at the Upper Deck high school baseball tournament.

Professional career

Drafted by the Kansas City Royals as a high school player in 1994 and traded to the Florida Marlins in 1997, Treanor spent 10 years in the minor leagues - 7 in Single-A[1] - before finally making his major league debut on June 2, 2004 against the Cincinnati Reds when he went 1 for 3 with a run scored. In the highlight of his season, Treanor recorded his first RBI on a walk-off single against the Chicago White Sox on June 17.

In 2005, Treanor played his first full season with the Marlins, as a backup to starting catcher Paul Lo Duca. He showed off his defensive prowess on April 15 against the Washington Nationals, when he threw out all three base runners who attempted to steal. Treanor hit his first Major League home run against Daniel Cabrera of the Baltimore Orioles on June 20, 2006.

He previously had played with the Marlins' Triple-A affiliate, the Albuquerque Isotopes, being called up to the majors twice in 2004. On December 10, 2008, Treanor was released by the Florida Marlins in order to make room on the team's 40-man roster for the Rule 5 Draft on December 11, 2008.

On December 17, 2008 it was announced that the Detroit Tigers and Matt Treanor have agreed to a contract. Details of the contract have yet to be announced.

Personal life

In November 2003, Treanor met beach volleyball star Misty May at a sports therapy facility in California. They became engaged in March 2004 and married that November.[2]

Last edited by bobrob2004 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedWed Dec 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Matt Treanor Career Tracker Treanortb whistle
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedWed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu Dec 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Thursday, December 18, 2008
Tigers agree to deal with catcher Treanor
Detroit News Staff

DETROIT -- The Tigers announced today that they have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with catcher Matt Treanor.

Treanor played in 65 games with the Florida Marlins last season, batting .238 with seven doubles, two home runs and 23 RBI.

"Matt is a quality back-up catcher at the major league level and a solid addition to our club," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said. "Addressing our catching situation was a priority for us this winter and we feel we have solidified that area by adding both Gerald Laird and Matt Treanor."

Treanor will fill the void created when Vance Wilson was lost the past two seasons because of ligament surgery in his elbow. Treanor is expected to back up Laird. Laird, who played for Texas last season, was signed as a free agent last week.

Treanor, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound right-handed hitter, offer managers Jim Leyland a reliable defensive option on days Laird does not play. Treanor's regarded as an excellent glove man with superb skills at blocking pitches, all of which meshes with the Tigers' heightened emphasis on defense in 2009.

Offense is certifiably not Treanor's strong suit.

He has a .237 career batting average in five big league seasons, all with the Marlins, and has hit eight home runs.

He also is coming off October surgery for sports hernia, but is expected to recover by the start of spring training.

A southern California native, Treanor was a fourth-round pick by the Royals in 1994 out of Mater Dei High in Santa Ana. He was traded to the Marlins in 1997 when Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers president and general manager, was GM at Florida.

Treanor is married to Misty May-Treanor, a beach volleyball star who won a gold medal for the United States at the 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 am

Welcome aboard Misty May.....

.....umm, Matt too!!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 3:58 pm

I still say, build a beach volleyball pit at COPA!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 6:49 pm

LOL....that would be cool.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon Jan 05, 2009 1:24 pm

I like him and am glad the Tigers picked him up. He's not great with a bat but he's decent behind the plate. Or at least he was until he got hurt last season. I hope the surgery he had repaired everything and he's all ready for ST.

Too bad the stupid Tigers didn't pick up Olsen too Frown

Stupid fish No
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon Jan 05, 2009 2:27 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I like him and am glad the Tigers picked him up. He's not great with a bat but he's decent behind the plate. Or at least he was until he got hurt last season. I hope the surgery he had repaired everything and he's all ready for ST.

Too bad the stupid Tigers didn't pick up Olsen too Frown

Stupid fish No

Shocked She didn't forget about us!! Welcome back Big Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks sweetie Hug How ya been?
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 pm

SoulRat wrote:

Good. Waaaay ready for baseball to start.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon Jan 05, 2009 2:59 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Me too! Too long until ST No
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon Jan 05, 2009 3:52 pm

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Me too! Too long until ST No

Nod pretty much.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 am

It took late bloomer Matt Treanor 11 years before catching a break

BY JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • March 1, 2009

LAKELAND, Fla. -- He arrives with the coaching staff and the clubhouse workers and hardly anyone else. Around 7 a.m., not more than a few minutes after sunrise on these dewy spring days, Matt Treanor is inside the clubhouse at Joker Marchant Stadium.

He developed the habit over his decade as a minor league catcher. During his first major league camp, with the Kansas City Royals in 1997, he caught bullpen sessions for a near-the-end Mitch Williams at half past seven. With season averages of .182 and .185 beside his name, it was advisable to be prompt.

"I've got a phobia about being late," Treanor said Monday, when he also was one of the last players to leave. "When you're in the minor leagues, and you don't have any service time, you never know. You should be available if anybody needs you.

"You should get your work out of the way before the regulars get in. You don't want to take time away from them. Plus, it's quiet. You eat breakfast, get a good stretch. You're not rushing. It makes for a peaceful day."

The 2008 Tigers, with the gaudy payroll and World Series expectations, may have taken success for granted. Treanor, the new backup catcher, has learned never to do such a foolish thing.

He played in roughly 900 minor league games over 11 seasons, before the Florida Marlins brought him to the big leagues on June 2, 2004. ("The anti-Crash Davis," said his agent, Joel Wolfe.) Treanor did not climb out of Class A until his eighth year of professional baseball, but he made the Marlins' Opening Day roster in 2005 and has been a major leaguer ever since.

Treanor, who turns 33 on Tuesday, is regarded as a sound defensive catcher and an asset in the clubhouse. He demonstrated his defensive ability Saturday by throwing out consecutive runners at second base in the third inning of the Tigers' exhibition game against the New York Mets. A son and grandson of firefighters, he leads without playing every day or putting up All-Star numbers.

"I couldn't imagine somebody not liking him," said Mike Rabelo, the former Tigers catcher who played with Treanor in Florida last year. "He's cool as hell."

"The type of guy that puts everybody in front of himself," offered Dontrelle Willis, who started and was perfect for 6 2/3 innings, in Treanor's debut. "Plays hurt. Emotional. A great teammate."

A famous wife

Treanor enjoys great respect within the game and has made a strong early impression on manager Jim Leyland. To casual fans, though, he's famous for a different reason.

His wife, Misty May-Treanor, is one of the most recognizable female athletes in the United States. She won a gold medal in beach volleyball at the 2004 Olympic Games -- roughly seven months after Treanor first asked her out -- and repeated with partner Kerri Walsh last year in Beijing.

May-Treanor, 31, appeared on "Dancing with the Stars" after the Olympics, but her stay ended when she suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon. She isn't running yet, but there's little doubt that her marketability survived the spill. May-Treanor is on the new Gatorade G commercial and had a busy schedule of appearances last Friday during ESPN the Weekend at Walt Disney World.

She has met former President George W. Bush, appeared on the "Ellen DeGeneres Show" and received a "Happy Thanksgiving" text message from Tiger Woods. While she recuperates from the injury she will be able to do something her busy schedule rarely has allowed.

See a lot of ballgames.

May-Treanor has never been to Michigan, but she expects to spend a good amount of time here this summer. She's eager to attend a luncheon for the Tigers' wives this month.

Choosing a rental home for the season will be one of her next priorities. She has heard good things about Royal Oak and Northville.

"I'm really excited about it," she said in a telephone interview Friday. "I met (catcher) Gerald Laird's wife the other day, and she's really nice. Everybody that I've met so far has been just great.

"I've run into a lot of people in Florida who are from Michigan. I'm excited to be going there. I love lakes. I'm sure I'll have a good time."

Misty May's influence

Treanor recalled the couple's first date -- Jan. 23, 2004 -- with the precision that most players remember their debuts.

He met his future wife while working out at Sports Medicine Institute in Orange, Calif. Treanor didn't know much about volleyball at the time, but he learned quickly.

The two went to dinner and a volleyball match on their first date. Not long after they arrived at the gym, the autograph seekers began approaching Misty May, the well-known former Long Beach State star.

"Then I started to understand who she was," Treanor said, smiling.

By March they were engaged. By November they were married. And in between, Treanor realized his professional dream.

"I don't want to say that I got to the big leagues because of my wife," Treanor said, "but she gave me a different view on things, on success, and maybe a little more drive."

May-Treanor won her first Olympic gold medal that year. Her popularity brought a new, faster pace to the already-busy volleyball summers -- which coincided with Treanor's months-long baseball marathons.

May-Treanor's career was an object of some fascination for Treanor's teammates in Florida, particularly after she added a second gold. They were generally supportive, even if they teased him from time to time.

"They know a lot about her, because of what's shown on TV and stuff," Treanor said. "Some guys don't know, but I'm not going to say, 'Oh, you don't know my wife?'

"Sometimes, guys will say, 'Oh, that's your wife?' Guys want to talk about it. They mess around. It's all good.

"I always sum it up as, 'I'm proud of my wife. I've seen the way she works. I know the way she goes about her business.' You can't help but be proud of someone who achieves all the things they work really hard for."

There has been a price for the Treanors' shared success: Because 2008 was an Olympic year, they spent about two weeks together during baseball season.

Matt stayed at their home outside Miami. Misty lived at the couple's other residence, in California, close to many of the beach volleyball events.

"Two different worlds, almost," Misty said. "There's a lot of sacrifice. We don't get to see a lot of our family, and sometimes we don't get to see each other."

"It gets hard after a while," Matt said. "But we knew that going in. Sometimes I'd say something like, 'This sucks,' but there was an ultimate goal. ... We made a pact: We do what we have to do, and, hopefully, at the end, we can retire early and enjoy each other and our kids."

They don't have children yet, but May-Treanor said Friday that they would like to start a family. That could impact whether she chooses to play in the 2012 Games. Walsh, her gold-medal partner, is currently pregnant with her first child.

"When you have kids, it's a new priority," May-Treanor said. "I think it's too early to say what will happen. I'm just excited that I get to be a baseball fan for a while."

Hope and heartbreak

On Dec. 18, Treanor signed a one-year, $750,000 contract with the Tigers. It was his first guaranteed deal, a significant achievement after enduring so much uncertainty over 15 seasons.

Even then, the day was bittersweet: Treanor signed the richest contract of his career on the sixth anniversary of a tragedy that affects him still.

On Dec. 18, 2002, his brother, Michael, was killed outside the restaurant where he worked in Los Angeles. And the start of spring training reminds Matt Treanor of how he felt when the 2003 season began, roughly two months after his brother's death.

"It's been hard lately," Treanor said last week.

Treanor's voice quavered several times as he spoke about Michael, who was four years older than him. The case is unsolved, which only adds to his grief.

But Treanor, one of eight children, managed a smile when he described his brother as an old-school baseball fan, someone who held true to the game's traditions and talked about "the way it should be played." He spent one season as a freshman baseball coach at Westminster (Calif.) High School.

"He had this long hair -- he loved his hair -- and he made sure he put it up inside his hat," Treanor said. "He made sure they did their schoolwork. They weren't allowed to miss school. No detentions.

"The kids, I think, really appreciated the way he went about it. They won their league, and that was something really special, because they were a ragtag group of guys.

"He was real proud of that for a long time. I still have that team picture at the house."

Treanor has willed his way forward even though the past is not entirely behind him. He was working an off-season job in Maine when he learned of his brother's death and said there "hasn't been any closure" for him because of the manner in which the Los Angeles Police Department handled the case.

He said he wishes the witnesses would have been more forthcoming. He said he wishes the investigators would have been more aggressive. He said he wishes the case offered some hope that suspects would be identified and prosecuted.

Instead, Treanor said, he's left with "hearsay and speculation."

"It's like it never happened," Treanor said.

To other people, maybe, but Treanor bears the burden of remembrance.

Popular in the clubhouse

When he's around his teammates, there's no melancholy about Matt Treanor. He has an easygoing manner in the clubhouse and moves confidently on the field. He can make friends with a player he just met and smother a wayward slider with ease.

Those who know him best talk about the warmth he shows to others. Anthony Iapoce, his teammate in the minors, recalled how Treanor comforted him after his mother's death in 2002. Iapoce did the same for Treanor as he dealt with his own loss.

"He was there for me all the time," said Iapoce, now a coach in the Marlins' organization. "He'd walk by and give you that, 'You all right, big guy?' with a big smile on his face."

Bob Ickes, who coached Treanor at Mater Dei High School in California, said his former catcher keeps in touch and frequently stops in during the off-season to help current players. May-Treanor does the same with the volleyball team, even though she's not an alumnus.

Ickes has noticed a trend in Treanor's career: "He's always the guy who's trying to help a younger catcher become better. He's never really been given an opportunity to become the guy."

Last spring, for example, the Marlins expected Treanor to be their backup catcher. Rabelo, one of the six players dealt from Detroit to Florida in the 2007 blockbuster trade, would be given the chance to start.

Treanor, who had been with the organization for more than a decade, could have resented Rabelo. The new guy had played in 52 major league games. It would have been understandable for Treanor to ignore Rabelo or request a trade.

Neither of those things happened.

Instead, Treanor did all he could to help Rabelo learn each pitcher and find his way around the Marlins' spring complex.

"It was pretty neat," Rabelo said. "That showed me what kind of person he is. A lot of people would've been like, 'Heck, no. I don't want to do anything for this guy. He's my competition.'

"But Trean's like, 'This guy's going to be my teammate. I want to make him feel as comfortable as possible.' That says a lot about his character."

Treanor loves and respects the game, imperfect though it may be.

Baseball brings back memories of his brother's death and keeps him away from his wife for long stretches of time. But it is his livelihood and passion, something that has provided him with a series of rewarding triumphs -- and given him a way to honor Michael.

"On Opening Day in 2005, when I made my first club out of camp," Treanor said, "you definitely look back and think, 'Wow, how proud would he be?' "

Contact JON PAUL MOROSI at 313-223-4097 or jmorosi@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSun Mar 01, 2009 9:28 am

Best of Matt Treanor Picture Gallery

CLICK HERE TO VIEW
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu Mar 12, 2009 12:30 am

Treanor to rest a few days
Beck's Blog

Talked this morning with catcher Matt Treanor, who is under orders to rest for the next few days. His body is still recovering from sports hernia surgery, which is why he did not make the trip to Jupiter. Dane Sardinha is starting at catcher.

Posted on March 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon May 04, 2009 11:11 pm

Sunday, April 26, 2009
Tigers put Matt Treanor on DL
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Kansas City, Mo. -- Tigers backup catcher Matt Treanor is on the 15-day disabled list and is expected to be lost for at least three months because of surgery to repair a nagging problem with his left hip labrum.

The Tigers called up catcher Dane Sardinha from Triple-A Toledo to replace Treanor, 33, who formerly played for the Florida Marlins before signing with the Tigers during the off-season.

"It's just sad for Matt," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said, speaking before Sunday's game between the Tigers and Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium. "He's like all players. He just wants to play. But it's not getting any better."

Treanor had surgery last October for the three tears in his hip but was given an all-clear ahead of spring camp. Although he had no serious setbacks during the Grapefruit League season, he has been increasingly bothered by pain in the same area and surgery is now expected as early as this week after he confers with doctors.

"The ideal situation would be to get back in late July or early August," Treanor said Sunday, a day after he met for "serious" discussions with Leyland, and Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski.

"Yesterday I had my little emotional day," Treanor said. "Now it's time to move and to think about getting better and getting back into shape. I see a lot of good things happening with this club. But Mr. Leyland didn't like seeing me in pain."

Sardinha, 30, played in 17 games for the Tigers in 2008 and batted .229 with one triple and three RBIs.

"I really like Sardinha," Leyland said. "He's an excellent catcher. I don't expect a lot of offense, but I'm not sure anybody expects much offense from a backup catcher."

Treanor appeared in four games for the Tigers. He was hitless in 13 at-bats.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon May 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Matt Treanor Career Tracker S5MiN8Xj

Backup Treanor to miss rest of season
Surgery reveals right hip issue to be worse than thought

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

05/02/09 4:25 PM ET

DETROIT -- What was already expected to be a long injury for Tigers backup catcher Matt Treanor now will likely cost him the rest of the season. On Thursday, Treanor underwent successful surgery to remove a bone spur from his right hip, an issue that bothered him since Spring Training.

Dr. Bryan Kelly, an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip injuries, performed the surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. The estimated timetable from the Tigers' medical staff is expected to keep him out for the year.

If that indeed ends up the case, Treanor will finish the season with four games played, going 0-for-13 with four strikeouts. He served as the starting catcher for Rick Porcello's Major League debut April 9 at Toronto.

The Tigers signed the 33-year-old Treanor to a one-year, $750,000 contract last December to provide a veteran backup for newly acquired starter Gerald Laird and allow prospect Dusty Ryan to get more seasoning in the Minor Leagues. Treanor spent the previous five seasons with the Marlins, but was non-tendered over the winter.

Treanor underwent sports hernia surgery at the end of last season to repair muscle tears around his left hip, but reported to Spring Training supposedly in playing shape. His right hip issues developed in camp, but he tried to play through them. His struggles to do so landed him on the disabled list last weekend.

The surgery continues a three-year string of misfortunes for backup catchers in Detroit. Vance Wilson missed the 2007 and 2008 seasons with two Tommy John surgeries to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow. Minor Leaguer Mike Rabelo replaced Wilson in 2007 before being dealt to Florida in the Miguel Cabrera trade. Brandon Inge, a former catcher turned infielder, donned the catching gear again last year.

The longer absence for Treanor isn't expected to affect how the Tigers replace him. Minor League veteran Dane Sardinha, who was called up when Treanor went on the DL last weekend, is expected to remain the backup to Laird. The 30-year-old Sardinha made it to Detroit last summer and caught 17 games over two stints. While he'll never be known for his offense, his knowledge of the Tigers' pitching staff from his two-plus seasons at Triple-A Toledo is seen as a significant advantage.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon May 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Treanor to return this season?
BECK'S BLOG

Just got done talking with Matt Treanor, who's back in the Tiger clubhouse but moving around on crutches after his hip surgery last Thursday. He said the likelihood that he'll miss the season is news to him.

"I'm going to go about it as if I have an opportunity to play again this season," Treanor said.

Treanor said he talked after the surgery with the specialist, Dr. Bryan Kelly. He's going to get some opinions on the timetable coming up. If it sounds certain that he'll miss the season, he'll probably go home to rehab, but that he'd like to stick around Detroit when the team's in town if he has a shot at a comeback.

Posted on May 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedMon May 04, 2009 11:24 pm

Treanor will try to make it back in '09
Catcher not shutting it down for season after hip surgery

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

05/04/09 7:33 PM ET

DETROIT -- Although it was reported that Matt Treanor will miss the rest of the season, the Tigers backup catcher isn't throwing in the towel just yet.

He realizes it's a possibility after his hip surgery last Thursday, but any timetable that will cost him the rest of the year was news to him until he heard it watching Sunday's Tigers game on television. Until he hears it for sure, he's going to work to try to get back.

"I'm going to go about it as if I have an opportunity to get back into shape to play this season," Treanor said.

The season outlook from the Tigers' medical staff is based on the amount of time that Treanor will likely have to miss before he can start working out again. The surgery, Treanor said, was not necessarily worse than expected, because he knew about the bone spur that was causing inflammation in his right hip.

Treanor said he's hoping he can find a way to beat that timetable. In any case, he isn't shutting it down for the season yet. He's going to get medical opinion before he proceeds.

If he has a chance to come back, Treanor is going to give it a shot, and he'd like to stick around the clubhouse when the team's in town. If he's done for the season, he said he'll probably go home for his rehab process.

"To see some guy limping around all the time, that's not always the best for morale," Treanor said. "I'll just check it out and see what's going on."

Treanor overcame an early-season hip injury last year to spend most of the season with the Florida Marlins, playing in 65 games. He signed a one-year contract with the Tigers last December. When he had hip troubles during Spring Training, he tried to play through them, hoping he could get through it.

"I was feeling really decent," Treanor said, "and it went downhill really quick."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedFri Nov 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Tigers part ways with Treanor, Thames
Pair likely to become free agents after removal from roster

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

11/06/09 4:53 PM EST

DETROIT -- Marcus Thames' Tigers tenure is likely over. The team removed him from the 40-man roster Friday, the first step towards making the slugging outfielder a free agent.

The move was part of the Tigers' maneuverings to prepare their 40-man roster. Catcher Matt Treanoralso was taken off the roster and will become a free agent. The moves free up spots for reliever Joel Zumaya and infielder Jeff Larish, both of whom were reinstated from the 60-day disabled list as required.

Infield prospect Michael Hollimon also was taken off the DL, but he was outrighted to Triple-A Toledo.

Thames was eligible for arbitration and was thus expected to be non-tendered this offseason. From that standpoint, Friday's move makes him a free agent sooner than he would've been had the Tigers waited until the December deadline to offer a contract. Nonetheless, it likely ends a career that included several big home runs and torrid stretches in the Tigers lineup, though never culminating in the everyday role he would've liked.

The Tigers signed Thames as a Minor League free agent after the 2003 season. He was a former highly-touted prospect with the Yankees, with whom he made his Major League debut by homering off Randy Johnson in his first big league at-bat. He hit 10 home runs in 184 plate appearances in Detroit in 2004, then stuck with the Tigers for good with a 26-homer season in 2006.

From there, he became known for torrid stretches at the plate. He tied a franchise record in 2008 by homering in five straight games, matching a mark shared by Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg, Rudy York, Vic Wertz and Willie Horton. He had a 10-game stretch during that time in which all eight of his hits were home runs, the longest such streak by a Major League player since Mark McGwire's 11 straight home runs in 2001.

Thames seemed set to get a bump in playing time this season once the Tigers released Gary Sheffield at the end of Spring Training. A season-opening slump at the plate and a painful oblique injury in April, however, started him on a year that didn't work out the way he or the Tigers would've liked.

Thames' 13 home runs, 36 RBIs, 258 at-bats and .453 slugging percentage marked his lowest totals since 2005. He batted .252 for the year.

The 32-year-old Thames, as well as the 33-year-old Treanor, will become free agents once they formally notify the Tigers that they will not be accepting outright assignments to the Minor Leagues. They'll immediately be free to sign with any Major League club.

Treanor signed with the Tigers last December to serve as a No. 2 catcher behind Gerald Laird, but played in just four games before undergoing season-ending hip surgery. He's on track to be ready for next season, but the Tigers appear set behind the plate for next year with Laird and top catching prospect Alex Avila.

Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedWed Nov 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Well, Thames shouldn't be gone.

With playing time, he would be tremendous. Trainor we don't need, but Thames, come on, dude's gotta BAT!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSat Dec 19, 2009 10:48 am

http://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/6810834908

#Brewers also signed C Matt Treanor to Minor League deal with invitation to big league camp. Limited to 4G with #Tigers in '09 by hip injury
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedSat Dec 19, 2009 3:08 pm

B. Seay ya.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu May 13, 2010 7:33 pm

04/08/2010 2:49 PM ET
Rangers Place C Jarrod Saltalamacchia on 15-Day Disabled List; Purchase Contract of C Matt Treanor from Oklahoma City (AAA)
RHP Warner Madrigal transferred to 60-day disabled list

The Texas Rangers announced prior to today's game that the club has placed catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia on the 15-day disabled list with upper back stiffness. To take his place on the roster, the club has purchased the contract of catcher Matt Treanor (#15) from Oklahoma City (AAA). To make room for Treanor on the 40-man roster, the team has transferred right-handed pitcher Warner Madrigal from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.

Saltalamacchia was the Rangers Opening Day catcher on Monday, going 1-for-4 with a game-ending RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning. He struck out as a pinch-hitter in last night's loss. He will be eligible to be reinstated beginning on April 23.

Treanor, 34, was acquired in a March 22 trade with Milwaukee for infielder Ray Olmedo. He finished spring as a non-roster player for the Rangers before he was assigned to the minor leagues when the club set the Opening Day roster on Sunday. As Oklahoma City's season begins today, Treanor last appeared in a game on Saturday vs. Kansas City in Frisco. He also played in Tuesday's contest between the organization's Triple-A and Double-A affiliates at Rangers Ballpark.

Treanor signed with Milwaukee in December and was in Brewers camp as a non-roster invitee. He appeared in 16 total spring training games with the Brewers and Rangers this spring, going 6-for-29 with a homer, double, and 4 RBI. He was with Detroit last year, appearing in just 4 games before undergoing surgery on April 30, 2009 to repair a torn labrum and impingement in his right hip. Treanor has appeared in 278 big league games with Florida (2004-08) and Detroit (2009), batting .232 with 8 home runs and 70 RBI. Originally drafted by Kansas City in the fourth round of the 1994 June draft, he was acquired by Florida in a July 29, 1997 trade for left-hander Matt Whisenant.

Madrigal opened the season on the 15-day disabled list with right forearm inflammation. He had a 9.95 ERA in 13 relief appearances for Texas in 2009.

With these moves, the Rangers still have a full 40-man roster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Treanor Career Tracker   Matt Treanor Career Tracker Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Matt Treanor Career Tracker
Page 1 of 1