DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Jim Edmonds Career Tracker

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Jim Edmonds Career Tracker Empty
PostSubject: Jim Edmonds Career Tracker   Jim Edmonds Career Tracker Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 6:12 pm

Latest on Edmonds

All indications are that Jim Edmonds won't be officially a member of the Cubs until after tonight's game.

At that point, the club is expected to announce the signing of Edmonds and the assigning of Felix Pie to Class AAA Iowa.

As of early Tuesday afternoon, Edmonds is not in Chicago. But he may be in a Cubs uniform by Thursday's series finale against the Padres.

Last edited by bobrob2004 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Jim Edmonds Career Tracker   Jim Edmonds Career Tracker Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 6:21 pm

So he'll start off against his former team? That's kind of interesting.

Sorry about the low-quality of this post. I wanted to reply but couldn't think of anything good to say.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Jim Edmonds Career Tracker   Jim Edmonds Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu May 15, 2008 12:13 am

Hollywood Edmonds en route to Chicago

Paul Sullivan, 5:19 p.m.

Jim Edmonds is expected to be in a Cubs uniform Thursday afternoon, playing centerfield and batting ninth in the lineup.

Ninth?

“He’s going to hit ninth,” manager Lou Piniella said. “I’m going to move the pitcher to eighth, and hit him ninth.”

Piniella was joking, of course, and spent most of Wednesday’s press conference trying to avoid talking about the new Cubs outfielder.

The Edmonds’ signing won’t be official until he passes a physical tonight, so Piniella was wary of discussing the subject.

As has been discussed repeatedly over the last few days, many fans consider the 37-year-old Edmonds washed up, and are wondering why the Cubs would sign him, even for $284,000, the pro-rated amount of the minimum salary. San Diego and St. Louis are responsible for the rest of the $7.7 million he’s owed this year.

Asked if Edmonds had lost a step in the outfield, Piniella hedged.

“I haven’t seen him play all spring,” Piniella said. “I never saw him. We played San Diego three or four times and he never played against us. I don’t know. We’re going on past history and we’re going on what our scouts say. That’s it. We’re going to give him an opportunity, assuming he passes his physical, and we’ll go from there. That’s all we can do.”

The Cubs will have to make a roster move to make room for Edmonds. While Felix Pie is expected to be sent down to Triple-A Iowa, the Cubs may also put Daryle Ward on the disabled list within the next day or two. Piniella said Ward’s back is bothering him and he can’t run.

That would give the Cubs an opportunity to bring up another outfielder, perhaps Matt Murton or Micah Hoffpauir, to serve as the fifth outfielder behind Alfonso Soriano, Edmonds, Kosuke Fukudome and Reed Johnson.

Edmonds’ calf injury in spring training could be the reason for his slow start in San Diego, though there’s also the possibility he’s cooked. Piniella said the calf problem “could explain the slow start. We’ll find out.”

Is this a low-risk gamble by the Cubs?

“What did Jim (Hendry) say?” Piniella replied. “Whatever Jim said is fine with me.”

The Cubs general manager said he’d have an announcement on Edmonds after tonight’s game, and that he’d be activated on Thursday if he passes the physical.

“Obviously if it wasn’t something we felt could possibly help us, we wouldn’t have looked into it,” Hendry said.

Hendry said Edmonds does not need any at-bats in the minors, and should be ready to go on Thursday. The scouting reports Hendry received on Edmonds were mostly positive.

“I think in general, most people feel he has something left in the tank,” Hendry said. “I think he’s going to be a motivated player. Obviously we’re not going to ask him to go out there every single day. The people we had watching him in their normal coverage -- we weren’t scouting him -- felt that he was getting better right before he was sent out. So we’ll see.”

So will Edmonds be the 2008 version of Gary Gaetti, or the reincarnation of Phil Nevin?

We’ll find out soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jim Edmonds Career Tracker   Jim Edmonds Career Tracker Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Jim Edmonds Career Tracker
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: MLB Breaking News-
Jump to: