DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Anybody in the Detroit area!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Anybody in the Detroit area!! Empty
PostSubject: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm

GO TO MARATHON IN ROCKWOOD, NOW!

It's right down the road from my house. OMG, they are packed. from 12:00 - 6:00 today there is gas for $2.99! My brother and I got there at noon in sat in line for an hour.

The Red Bull truck was there, so we got free red bull (my hands are like shaking, I am very hyper). The news is there along with a few radio stations and a race car.

When we left to go back to my house the line was about a half mile long.

If you live around here AND you have some time to spare today, stop at the Marathon on Huron River Drive, in Rockwood. It's awesome up that, and actually a lot of fun...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 1:43 pm

I'll be there in about 16 hours...lol!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 3:39 pm

:haha:
So I had to be up at school to get my locker and stuff and we were driving back and they were giving away Monster. We already had gas so my brother just stopped in the middle of the road and was yelling to the guy that we wanted Monster. So I jumped out and ran up there to get it and everyone was laughing.

I am VERY hyper, to energy drinks within a few hours of each other.... I wish it was a 10:00 game, I would be able to stay up without a problem.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 3:59 pm

$2.99 gas? That's pretty cheap - it's $3.959 here and I thought that was a good deal (It was $4.699 in July).
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Well it's $3.75 or something usually... But they were doing this big thing about cheep gas trying to get people to come.... It worked. My entire street that is the main road, yet never busy (this town is tiny...), is completely backed up....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 pm

It's like $3.50 here.

Probably the cheapest in the U.S. is around here.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 pm

The price is back to normal now Frown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 11:11 pm

More like $3.60, I was way off!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 12:56 am

haha. Yah. That is the one and only reason I am glad I don't drive yet. Because if I was driving I would need a job because there is no way I could afford gas without a job...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 am

I paid $4.059 in Santa Maria today rant They used to have cheap gas. I should have waited 30 miles - I could have got it for $3.939
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 4:02 am

I don't know how much the gas is here. Maybe 3.70 or 3.60. I try not to look, just hand some money over and hope it's enough to get to work for the week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 9:10 am

3:63 a gallon in my neighborhood
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Gas is $3.49 here right now at 2 stations. It varies widely from $3.49 to $3.95.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 4:38 pm

3:59 a gallon today
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Well, with the coming hurricane, gas prices are starting back up here. They are shutting down platforms in the gulf. Even though we don't use THAT oil, they feel it is a reason to rob us again!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Gas prices aren't actually that bad here. The thing that sucks is they are charging the extra money if you pay with a credit card...
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 pm

TG wrote:
Gas prices aren't actually that bad here. The thing that sucks is they are charging the extra money if you pay with a credit card...

I know why... the oil distributors tell the stations what to charge, and most times it is 3 to 6 cents per gallon above what they pay. Credit card companies (like visa and MC) charge 2 to 4 percent of the sale to process the transactions (plus a set per transaction fee). When the station is done, they make nothing, or only a cent or two per gallon. That amount left then has to pay for expenses like labor and rent, etc...

The Penzoil station in my town is at the verge of not accepting credit cards. They are losing 2 cents per gallon sold, if the buyer pays by credit card. They are charging $3.60 per gallon. I go to the next town up and buy Rich/Superamerica gas at $3.49, and, so far, they allow credit cards, but if you use their brand credit card, they charge 2 cents per gallon less. Since they are the cheapest around, and accept my Discover 5% Gas cashback credit card, I go there. I end up paying $3.33 per gallon after the Discover cashback! Plus Discover does not charge merchants as much as Visa or Master Card to process transactions!

Many stations are trying to get people to use their own Oil Company cards, to avoid these charges! The ones making the profits are the oil companies, not the local gas station operator!

I used to take credit cards when I had my Computer consulting, sales and service company. I used Discover to process credit card sales, because of their lower fees. Just remember that in the long run, it is better to pay cash because a company is able to charge less for their products if they do not have the credit card processing fees! I gave my cash buyers a very good price, but had to charge credit card buyers more. I felt it was fare to give the cash purchaser a good price, since it saved me $30 to $150 per computer in processing fees! 99% of my customers were cash customers once I explained the credit card fee system!

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Thats very interesting. And makes sense.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 2:30 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Well, with the coming hurricane, gas prices are starting back up here. They are shutting down platforms in the gulf. Even though we don't use THAT oil, they feel it is a reason to rob us again!

If Gustav becomes another Katrina; we will be paying 4:50 a gallon by next month

Not to mention the potiential disaster to an area still recovering from Katrina just three years ago.

Let's pray this storm losses its punch
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 2:42 am

Everyone makes a big deal out of earthquakes in California, but I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes any day. When was the last earthquake to kill 3+ people in California? It's been a long time. Hurricanes do a lot more damage a lot more often.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 2:52 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Everyone makes a big deal out of earthquakes in California, but I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes any day. When was the last earthquake to kill 3+ people in California? It's been a long time. Hurricanes do a lot more damage a lot more often.

I agree

However; Earthquakes strike without warning;

At least with a Hurricane there is time to flee
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 am

Yeah, but earthquakes are super rare. Hurricanes aren't. Even with warning you can't move your house. A few years back we had the biggest earthquake that my town had had in like 50 years. 2 people died and the structural damage to our house totaled $0. Our Christmas tree fell over and a few ornaments broke. We lost a few glasses and dishes. All the total damage was easily under $100. That's not too bad for the worst in 50 years if you ask me.

Even with a week's warning a hurricane will cost you more than $100 - heck, you have to flee. That there costs gas and hotel. Even if you get a free hotel or shelter, what's your time worth? That earthquake lasted under a minute and for about half the day a lot of stores were closed. By the next day everything was back to normal. Sure, a few buildings collapsed here and there and some people had damage, but for 99% of people, nothing happened.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 2:58 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Yeah, but earthquakes are super rare. Hurricanes aren't. Even with warning you can't move your house. A few years back we had the biggest earthquake that my town had had in like 50 years. 2 people died and the structural damage to our house totaled $0. Our Christmas tree fell over and a few ornaments broke. We lost a few glasses and dishes. All the total damage was easily under $100. That's not too bad for the worst in 50 years if you ask me.

Even with a week's warning a hurricane will cost you more than $100 - heck, you have to flee. That there costs gas and hotel. Even if you get a free hotel or shelter, what's your time worth? That earthquake lasted under a minute and for about half the day a lot of stores were closed. By the next day everything was back to normal. Sure, a few buildings collapsed here and there and some people had damage, but for 99% of people, nothing happened.

Most Earthquakes are harmless; many barely register on the richter scale

But I was comparing Hurricanes with Major Earthquakes

Like the 1906 one in SF

or the one in 1989
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 am

gs78 wrote:

Like the 1906 one in SF

or the one in 1989

That's the thing - the major ones are very rare. Unless they're major they do almost no damage. Major hurricanes are a lot less rare. Also, over time buildings are better and better suited for earthquakes making the damage less and less during major earthquakes. You can't really hurricane-proof a building.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:09 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Like the 1906 one in SF

or the one in 1989

That's the thing - the major ones are very rare. Unless they're major they do almost no damage. Major hurricanes are a lot less rare. Also, over time buildings are better and better suited for earthquakes making the damage less and less during major earthquakes. You can't really hurricane-proof a building.

That is true. Hurricanes were another reason we moved from FL. It sure raises your insurance!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:10 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Like the 1906 one in SF

or the one in 1989

Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:13 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Like the 1906 one in SF

or the one in 1989

That is true. Hurricanes were another reason we moved from FL. It sure raises your insurance!

No hurricanes in Ohio! :haha: Just tornados. I'm not really familiar with tornados, but it's pretty rare that they do a ton of damage, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody in the Detroit area!!   Anybody in the Detroit area!! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Anybody in the Detroit area!!
Page 1 of 1