DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Goodbye Suburbia?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_minipostedFri Aug 08, 2008 5:09 am

From CBS.com
The Decline Of Suburbia?
Experts Predict Exodus From Far-Flung Neighborhoods Back To Urban Living
It sounds hard to believe, but some experts are now predicting that this could be the beginning of the end of suburbia.

What Happened To Suburbia?

Many of this nation's suburban neighborhoods are facing a state of decline due to rapidly rising gas prices and a troubled housing market. Ben Tracy reports on the potential end of America's utopia.
The promise of the suburban dream is what brought Nichole Cinaglia and her daughters to a neighborhood more than 30 miles outside of Sacramento, California.

"I mean I think it's everybody's dream to own a home and then have their kids grow up in their home, you know, like they used to so many years ago," Nichole says.

Sixty years ago, cheap gas and new highways helped fuel suburbia's rapid rise, creating a new American utopia. But as CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy reports, the triple threat of falling home values, empty nesters returning to the city and sky-high gas prices is driving suburbia to the brink.

Some developments are left half built while other homes look abandoned. Demand for suburban housing is dropping so fast that a recent study predicts that by 2025 there will be a surplus of 22 million large-lot homes in suburban areas.

Nichole can't afford the $800 in gas she burned each month commuting to her job, so she's selling her house for less than half what she paid for it.

It sounds hard to believe, but some experts are now predicting that this could be the beginning of the end of suburbia -- that far-flung neighborhoods could be tomorrow's slums.

Author James Howard Kunstler has been predicting the decline of the suburbs for more than 15 years.

"I think the project of suburbia is over," he says.

Kunstler says housing far away from job centers won't survive.

"We've put so much of our national wealth and even identity into the idea of suburbia that we can't imagine having to let go of it or substantially change it," he says.

But change is building in Sacramento. The region adopted a back to the future approach known as "smart growth": high-density development in walkable neighborhoods near job centers and transit.

In the past three years, projects with apartments, condos and town homes increased 533 percent, while the number of subdivisions with large homes dropped 21 percent.

"The rapid rise in gas prices over the last six months has made that general direction this region has decided to go look like an especially good decision," says Mike McKeever of the Sacramento Area Council of Governments.

McKeever doesn't believe suburbs will disappear overnight, but says buying on the far edges of a region is now an economic gamble.

"That's a risky bet. It might pay off but it's a risky bet," he says.

Nichole Cinaglia plans to rent near her job. But she still thinks about the life she used to have.

"I don't miss the commute, but I miss the idea," she says. "I miss that it was mine."

A dream abandoned miles away now is beginning to fade.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_minipostedFri Aug 08, 2008 11:40 am

Even more reason to have a white, or non-racist Mayor and govt in Detroit! Bring back the neat ethnic (or multi-ethnic) neighborhoods of Detroit.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_minipostedFri Aug 08, 2008 2:24 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Even more reason to have a white, or non-racist Mayor and govt in Detroit! Bring back the neat ethnic (or multi-ethnic) neighborhoods of Detroit.

Never happen in Detroit

They keep putting in people like Kwame and Coleman Young

Archer wasn't black enough when he was mayor according to Charlatans like Rev Horace Sheffield
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_minipostedFri Aug 08, 2008 6:02 pm

I don't think the suburbs are doomed. I was raised in the burbs and that's where I want to stay. I can't ever see myself living in a crowded urban city and I could never live in the boonies either. I gotta have my malls and supercenters within a 5 minute drive, lol.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_minipostedFri Aug 08, 2008 6:04 pm

I agree! but in many remote suburbs, people just can't afford to live that way anymore. The CBS report showed a number of Sacramento suburbs (recently popular Elk Grove, to name one) where many Italianate mansions are sitting empty.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_minipostedFri Aug 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Well I know when I bought a condo in '99 I had also looked at houses and it was during the big housing boom. They were up for 1 day and selling and people were overbidding (hard to believe now!).
People were over-extending themselves and buying things they really couldn't afford and I knew it was gonna come crashing down.
But I can see the point about more remote suburbs. If you're paying a buttload of money in gas, that's not worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Goodbye Suburbia? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Suburbia?   Goodbye Suburbia? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Suburbia?
Page 1 of 1