DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) Empty
PostSubject: Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)   Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) Icon_minipostedMon Jun 16, 2008 6:01 am

Review:

This movie tells the story of a retired schoolteacher. The movie is a flashback of his life as a teacher. The teacher, Mr. Chipping (Mr. Chips) is played by Robert Donat who ages 63 years over the course of the flashbacks. The plot wasn't all that quickly-moving and didn't have much happen, but it was a rather touching story I suppose. It was nothing great but good enough to keep you watching even if you don't get to sentimental about these kinds of things.

The movie has several reasonably famous actors and they're all at least adequate, but the only one that really matters is Robert Donat. Other than the first five minutes or so of the film there's never more than 30 seconds or so where he was not on screen. Donat won the Academy Award for Best Actor for this film which is quite remarkable seeing as it was made in 1939. His competition that year included Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind (a film which won 10 Oscars), James Steward in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington , Laurence Olivier in Wuthering Heights and Mickey Rooney in Babes in Arms. I haven't seen the last two films mentioned but the first two have outstanding acting by their leads and Laurence Olivier is generally regarded as an outstanding actor in his own right. While Donat's performance here is good, I cannot believe he won the award over Gable and Stewart. Gable was very good and his movie won just about every award and Stewart was brilliant. Sure, Donat was good, but the best actor that year? I beg to differ.

Anyways, this isn't a bad film and it does make you think back on former teachers. I don't think I've ever had one quite like Mr. Chips although a few were pretty good.

74/100
C

UP NEXT: Probably Touch of Evil.
Back to top Go down

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: