DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Stop the pitch count petition!

Go down 
+2
gs78
GoGetEmTigers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Stop the pitch count petition! Empty
PostSubject: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 5:51 pm

If you love the game of baseball please read this open letter to the managers and owners of all professional baseball teams and sign the petition below.

Update: August 5, 2008

Open letter to all Major League Baseball Owners and Managers:

Maybe you're hearing it already but there's a groundswell of disgust amongst baseball fans over the 'pitch count'.

For me, and many others, it is ruining our love of the game. I roll with some die-hard baseball fans and I can tell you that we long for the days when guys like Seaver, Gibson, and Jenkins would COMPLETE THEIR GAMES.

We've seen it WAY too many times this year; managers pulling a HOT starting pitcher because of a yielded hit or two (or a pitch count!). I can tell you that every time a pitcher is cruising through a game only to be lifted prematurely, the other team breathes a big sigh of relief (if you played at any level, I know you remember that feeling. I played in an 'over 30' league not too long ago so the memory is still strong for me).

Listen, I appreciate you reading this message and perhaps I'm wasting my time (maybe you believe in the pitch count) but I can tell you that the game has suffered because of 1) the length of time it takes to play 9 innings and 2) a 'pitch count' mentality that denies fans the enjoyment and GREAT feeling of watching their favorite starter COMPLETE A MASTERPIECE.

I just recently had the pleasure of speaking with Bill Hands (a great Cubbie competitor and a 1-0 victor over Seaver in a '69 game). I asked him what he thought about the pitch count and the state of baseball today and he just shook his head.

Consider this:

• Fergie Jenkins, 4 consecutive 300+ inning seasons. Pitched in the majors until age 40.

• Luis Tiant. Pitched as many as 311 innings in a season. Retired at 41.

• Gaylord Perry. 6 seasons of over 300 innings pitched. Pitched in the majors until age 44.

• Nolan Ryan. Pitched as many as 332 innings, with a boatload of complete games. Retired at 46.

• Bert Blyleven. Pitched 325 innings at age 22! Retired at age 41.

• Mickey Lolich. Pitched as many as 376 innings. Retired at 38.

• Tom Seaver. Pitched as many as 290 innings. Retired at 41.

I could go on......Pitchers today are babied. It makes for a less attractive game. We have seen the rise of a style of baseball that is running counter to the lifestyles of its fans (over worked, busy, limited free time, short attention spans....videogame generation!). I hope this trend is arrested, but it won't be as long as the pitch count fanatics rule the baseball world.

I am circulating this letter throughout the Internet and have asked all those who oppose the pitch count to enter their name on the petition at stopthepitchcount.com

For the good of baseball, please give serious consideration to our voices and act before it is too late.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Corso
Baseball fan
Chappaqua, NY

Next step: sign the petition by clicking here...
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 5:54 pm

I signed it
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 pm

gs78 wrote:
I signed it

high 5

Me, too!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 pm

clap
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 6:04 pm

I did too.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Me too!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 6:55 pm

I don't totally agree on that. I think Nate Robertson should have a 2 pitch limit.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 7:09 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
I don't totally agree on that. I think Nate Robertson should have a 2 pitch limit.
Spoiler:

If you read it carfuly, he is not talking about pitchers who are doing poorly!

He says:

Quote :
managers pulling a HOT starting pitcher because of a yielded hit or two (or a pitch count!).
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 pm

I coulda sworn he was talking about Fish LMAO But I agree with brob Nod :haha: lol2
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 3:27 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
Spoiler:

i think that is one pitch too many for the natemeister.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stop the pitch count petition!   Stop the pitch count petition! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Stop the pitch count petition!
Page 1 of 1