DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch

Go down 
+5
gdennis59
TG
SoulRat
laprimamirala
bobrob2004
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Empty
PostSubject: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedMon Aug 25, 2008 9:50 pm

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)—Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player— too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho’s coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn’t quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league’s field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it. I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho’s parents Monday to discuss legal options.

“You don’t have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it’s wrong,” he said. “Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?”
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedMon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 pm

I saw that too! and was ready to post it! Big Smile
Sign him up for the Tigers!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 pm

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. Give me a Censored break. Nice message to send a 9 year old. "Hey, if you are good at something, we won't let you do it." Rolling Eyes Censored morons.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 8:36 am

Well that really sucks! He's nine! If you suck they will let you play, but if they are good they tell you no sorry you aren't allowed to play. How do you get better if you can't practcice...?
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 am

Wow. If I was that kid, I woulda been making a case. thats Just people complaining because someone excels at something they cant do. Thats the most ridiculous thing in the world. How that kid must have felt. man I feel bad for him.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am

It's like telling Maggs, I'm sorry but you are better than the other guys so you can't play.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 12:01 pm

TG wrote:
It's like telling Maggs, I'm sorry but you are better than the other guys so you can't play.

well, not lately! Big Smile He needs to get his cute butt in gear!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 12:07 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
TG wrote:

well, not lately! Big Smile He needs to get his cute butt in gear!
:haha: Well I know that... I was just using the first example that came to mind...
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 pm

and a grand example at that!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 pm

In my area we have kids that age that can throw that hard, right now, in little league. They just praise the kids and tell the others to work harder so they can be as good!

Then again this area has produced many pro baseball players...

- Phil Niekro
- Joe Niekro - Lansing, Ohio (Joe played for the Tigers in 1970 & 1971),
- Bill Mazeroski - (Rush Run) Rayland, Ohio (Pittsburgh Pirates) - HALL of FAME 2001 The best defensive second baseman in the history of MLB. He hit the most dramatic home run in World Series history. It was the the bottom of the ninth, game seven, series tied, and Maz hit the home run that won the 1960 World Series over the New York Yankees. Gave one of the most memorable speeches in Hall of Fame induction history.
- Bernie Allen - (Purdue baseball and football, Minnesota Twins, Washington Senators, New York Yankees, and Montreal Expos baseball)
- George Brett - born in Wheeling, WV (Kansas City Royals, MLB Hall of Fame)
- Hal "Doc" Daughtery - Weirton, WV - (Weir High, Ohio State University baseball, Detroit Tigers)
- Rich Donnelly - Steubenville, Ohio (Pittsburgh Pirates, Florida Marlins, Colorado Rockies Coaching Staff)
- Emil Drzayich, Jr. - Mingo Jct, Ohio - (Mingo High School, Ohio University baseball, Cincinnati Reds)
- Rollie Fingers - Toronto, Ohio (Oakland A's, MLB Hall of Fame) Hall of Fame pitcher had 341 career saves; won AL MVP and Cy Young awards in 1981 with Brewers; was World Series MVP in '74 with A's.
- Gene Freese - (Pittsburgh Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, and Houston Astros baseball)
- Mike Milosevich - Steubenville, Ohio (Steubenville High School baseball, New York Yankees - shortstop)
- Ted Rose - St. Clairsville, Ohio (Cincinnati Reds organization, Montreal Expos)
- Bobby Sismondo - Mingo Jct, Ohio - (Ohio University Baseball, Detroit Tigers farm system)
- Jamie Taylor - Edison South High School (Ohio State baseball, Colorado Rockies AAA)
- Robert Trice - Weirton, WV (Weir High, Philadelphia Phillies - pitcher)
- Ray Vince - Tiltonsville, Ohio (Tiltonsville High School, St. Louis Cardinals farm system)
- Honus Wagner - Born elsewhere, but began his baseball playing career in Steubenville, Ohio. 1895.
- Moses Fleetwood Walker - Steubenville, Ohio (Professional baseball)

These are just some of the baseball players. The area has been a hotbed for pro basketball, and football too.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 am

Let him pitch
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:44 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

I think you mean the first black professional baseball player. Sorry Jackie Robinson but Walker has you beat by a landslide.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

I think you mean the first black professional baseball player. Sorry Jackie Robinson but Walker has you beat by a landslide.

Nod
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male
Number of posts : 903
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd jones
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_minipostedTue Sep 02, 2008 9:16 am

I dotn get y they let him not play its so gay.. ya he can pitch good let him play!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhitebro
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch   9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: