DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)

Go down 
+14
gdennis59
SoulRat
prod
mrsrabelo
TrammMan
catbox_9
bobrob2004
tigersaint
gs78
pudgemaggs
iluvpudge7
GoGetEmTigers
laprimamirala
swiss_tiger
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Farnsworth Sucks
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm

What's funny is that as bad as Inge sucks he and Rodriguez have an identical OPS+ (101) entering play today.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 pm

Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Txt_notabledeals

July 30
Player to Yankees
Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Dec_arrow_left
Player to Tigers
Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Dec_arrow_right
Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Ph_121358

C Ivan Rodriguez

RHP Kyle Farnsworth

The Deal:
In need of a starting catcher since Jorge Posada decided to undergo
season-ending surgery on his throwing shoulder, the Yankees pick up a
13-time Gold Glover and 14-time All-Star to work behind the plate the
rest of the season. The Yankees' setup job had been increasingly filled
by Jose Veras, and the addition of Damaso Marte gave them two pitchers
to fill the role, making Farnsworth expendable. The right-hander, who
was with the Tigers in 2005, will join a beleaguered Detroit bullpen.

Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Ph_121358 :haha: that picture looks kind of funny.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Our roster shows no catchers... click on pudge and it takes you to Yankees!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:13 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Our roster shows no catchers... click on pudge and it takes you to Yankees!

We're going to get a lot of wild pitches without a catcher. Teams will probably steal quite often if we don't use one.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:14 pm

DD says "New York is in contention."

I think he has given up on the Tigers.
I'm waiting for another shoe to drop.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:17 pm

next is going to be Magglio
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
prod
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
prod

Female
Number of posts : 825
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : i want pudge back

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Sad Mad Crying or Very sad No affraid grouch rant fingers Censored Stunned Shocked Jaw Drop Thud Up Yours Frown Thumb Down :shrug: Perturbed Smack sick Suicide puke
Back to top Go down
prod
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
prod

Female
Number of posts : 825
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : i want pudge back

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:26 pm

gs78 wrote:
Glad I didn't buy a Pudge Jersey

Bet they on sale

i did whistle oh well.....
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Pudge traded for Farnsworth
July 30th, 2008

Pudge Rodriguez for Kyle Farnsworth? My first reaction was, and who else did the Tigers get? Rodriguez is having a fine season, and there are teams that are really looking for catching help. Besides the Yankees, the Marlins had also inquired and were turned away. In other words it was kind of a sellers market for the Tigers. If he was going to get moved I anticipated it would be for prospects, or something better than the 2 draft picks they would have secured had Pudge declined arbitration. When the return was a non-elite relief pitcher I actually felt ill. After a few moments of reflection though I feel a little less queasy.

Brandon Inge becomes the full time catcher now and he has an of .758 this season (I was actually surprised to see it was that high). Meanwhile Pudge carries a .755 OPS, but with a .295 average. On a starter perspective it’s surprisingly a push. Of course catching depth has been obliterated and there is a huge drop off when the back-up - presumably Dane Sardinha - enters the game. There’s also the issue of whether or not Inge can hit while catching.

As for Farnsworth the Tigers needed bullpen help and he’s having a nice season with a 8.73 K/9, a 3.45 BB/9 (still not that great). But the guy has allowed 11 HOME RUNS THIS YEAR. His 3.65 ERA is buoyed by a 94% LOB rate - far higher than at anytime in his career.

In terms of the other elements of the trade, both players are free agents at the end of the year. Pudge Rodriguez was going to be a Type A free agent meaning he’d bring back 2 draft picks. Farnsworth was a Type B last year, and would likely be one again this year meaning they’ll get 1 draft pick. So they give up a draft pick in this deal presuming both players were to get offered arbitration and declined. The Tigers save a couple million in the process as Pudge was out earning Farnsworth by about $7 million this year.

Farnsworth kind of fills a need, but not that well. The Tigers don’t take a huge hit in terms of production and aren’t giving up on the season. But my issue is that I think the Tigers could have done better for Pudge. He’s having a good year at a hard to fill position. Factor in the loss of a draft pick and it’s not good. No young player coming back? Not awful, but Dave Dombrowski failed to maximize Pudge’s value. Yankees win this one easy.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
next is going to be Magglio

That's the shoe.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Tigers trade Pudge to Yankees for Farnsworth

BY JOHN LOWE AND JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS • July 30, 2008

CLEVELAND - The Tigers today traded catcher Ivan Rodriguez straight up to the New York Yankees for relief pitcher Kyle Farnsworth.

Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski portrayed three causes for the deal. First off, Rodriguez can be a free agent after this season.

Secondly, the club believes Brandon Inge is ready to succeed Rodriguez as the No. 1 catcher for the rest of this season. "Brandon Inge is ready to tackle being the everyday catcher. He gives us a quality chance to win on a day-in, day-out basis and this allows us to address the one area of our club that needs to be addressed the most, which is our bullpen, ” Dombrowski explained. He also said Inge will be the No. 1 catcher next season.

Lastly, the Tigers need bullpen help. "Our major focus was our bullpen," said Dombrowski. Todd Jones has been replaced at closer by Fernando Rodney, but neither Rodney nor Joel Zumaya, who were injured much of the year, are as durable right now as the Tigers hope they will be. Rodney has struggled with his control in both of his outings since he replaced Jones at closer.

He stressed that the deal doesn't in any way represent a retreat from the Tigers' playoff aspirations for this season. He said he believes the trade makes the club stronger now.

The Yankees need a catcher because their first-string catcher, Jorge Posada, had season-ending shoulder surgery on Wednesday. The rehab time is about six months.

Rodriguez signed with the Tigers in the off-season after they lost 119 games in 2003. In that season, Rodriguez was the catcher for the world champion Florida Marlins.

“I want to make special note of everything Pudge has done for our organization,” Dombrowski said. “He helped us in the very beginning. I told him, I will be in Cooperstown the day he is inducted (in the Hall of Fame).”

After his 4-for-4 performance on Sunday, he had the best offensive numbers of any prospective free-agent catcher. He is hitting .295 with five homers in 82 games this season. Among all catchers with at least 290 at-bats, Rodriguez ranks fifth in on-base-plus-slugging percentage, with .759. The four catchers ahead of him this year are All-Stars Brian McCann, Joe Mauer, Geovany Soto and Russell Martin.

Farnsworth, like Rodriguez, can be a free agent after this season. He pitched for the Tigers in 2005. At the trading deadline that year, the Tigers traded him to Atlanta for pitchers Zach Miner (now a Tigers starter) and Roman Colon (since dealt to Kansas City). The Tigers made the deal after Farnsworth, also a pending free agent that season, turned down a multi-year contract offer from them.

This season, Farnsworth is 1-2 in 45 appearances. His statistic that would raise the most concern is homers allowed: 11 in 44 1/3 innings.

“He has been throwing well lately, between 94 and 98 mph,” Dombrowski said.

With Thursday’s 4 p.m. trading deadline about 24 hours away, Dombrowski said, “I’ve talked to a dozen clubs today. I don’t think I’m close on anything. You never know when things take place this time of year. This one (the Rodriguez trade) came out of the blue. This deal all really happened today."

Dombrowski said the club hadn’t held any contract discussions with Rodriguez about next season.

In a related development, Dane Sardinha was called up from Triple-A Toledo to be the No. 2 catcher behind Inge.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

On the plus side

Inge gets to Catch everyday

GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Inge gonna hit over 300 the rest of this season
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 8:42 pm

gs78 wrote:
Inge gonna hit over 300 the rest of this season

Spit LMAO :haha: lol! lol2

Or did you mean he's going to hit (bat) 300 more times?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 8:53 pm

o-m-g
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 8:59 pm

I miss him so much already
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 pm

didnt i predicted this last year? well i was joking lol but wow..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Farnsworth is having a good year this year.. i miss farnsworth
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Yeah, i think I was more like Jaw Drop
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 9:44 pm

oh please mccartney...you didn't want him!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Yes i do lol farnsworth rocks and was actually one of my fav players
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm

I mean the team as a whole...Farnsworth even said so!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Gonna miss you, Ivan...

Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Pudge510

You signed when tigs sucked....

Your work ethic got a lot of players off their butts........

You made being a Tiger respectable again.

muchas gracias...vaya con Dios....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Farnsworth is gonna rock if y'all know how to use him from the pen.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 pm

we've had him once before~we traded him away!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 11:15 pm

well he is good right now.. lol
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 11:20 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
we've had him once before~we traded him away!

For bow Z. Miner
Back to top Go down
NYyankees
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger
NYyankees

Male
Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_minipostedWed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm

grouch Farnsworth just started being a 'true' Yankee and now HE GETS TRADED for pudge!!!!!! What the Censored !

Lets Rabble!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE (south park...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)   Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth) - Page 2 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Pudge to Yankees (For Farnsworth)
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next