DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Empty
PostSubject: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Tonight's movie is The Best Years of Our Lives. I'll watch it shortly after tonight's game.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSun Jun 29, 2008 3:21 am

The Best Years of Our Lives tells the story of three World War II veterans returning home and attempting to adjust to civilian life. They all have various sorts of difficulties and wonder if the best years of their lives are behind them. As someone born more than forty years after the war ended, I found it somewhat difficult to relate to the actors' problems. Despite that flaw, the plot was well-paced and rather interesting so the film was still enjoyable.

The film features an ensemble cast and everyone does a reasonably good job. Of the ensemble, Fredric March and Dana Andrews seem to be the two principle actors in the film. They both did a pretty good job and March was awarded the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance. I felt that Andrews actually had a larger role and was better, but March is probably more famous so that's why he won. The film also has Harold Russell who portrays a sailor who has returned home from war without any hands. Russell himself did not have hands and was not a professional actor. He delivers quite an impressive performance in a supporting role and deservedly won Best Supporting Actor. In fact, he won an honorary Academy Award for this performance as well because the Academy thought he had not shot at winning the actual award and wanted to honor him somehow. He remains the only actor to win two Oscars for the same performance and is one of just two non-professional actors ever to win an Oscar for acting. The film also has Teresa Wright, Myrna Loy, and Cathy O'Donnell all of whom deliver good performances.

Overall, this film is a pretty good one. As previously mentioned, the film seems somewhat dated in the sense that it is a feel-good post-War film and the War has long since passed. While any old movie is going to be at least somewhat dated, this felt a little more so than average. It's not all that bad, but worth noting - twice in fact. The story is rather uplifting and the ending is a happy one. It's a good movie and worth a watch for those that have three hours to spare.

83/100
B-

UP NEXT: Das Boot.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSun Jun 29, 2008 9:56 am

Side notes on Harold Russell (from wiki)

"Russell appeared in only two other films after his debut, Inside Moves in 1980 and Dogtown in 1997. He also appeared in an episode of Trapper John, M.D. in 1981 and a two-part episode of the television series China Beach in 1989.

Russell became active in AMVETS, serving three terms as National Commander. As such, he wrote to President Truman in 1951, supporting his decision to dismiss General MacArthur. In his letter, Russell wrote: "The issue is whether the ultimate civil authority of the United States can tolerate actions in contempt of constitutional lines of authority. Any lessening of civil power over military power must inevitably lead away from democracy."

From the early 1960s to the late 1980s, Russell served as the Chairman of the President's Commission on Employment of the Handicapped, an unpaid position.

In 1992, Russell needed money for his wife's medical expenses. In a controversial decision, he sold his Oscar to a private collector for $60,500. Russell defended his action, saying: "I don't know why anybody would be critical. My wife's health is much more important than sentimental reasons. The movie will be here, even if Oscar isn't." The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has required all Oscar recipients since 1950 to sign an agreement forbidding them from selling their award.

On January 29, 2002, Russell died of a heart attack."

This film also became one of the many in the 1940s to broach the topic of alcoholism...almost taboo back then.
I personally enjoyed the cameo appearance of Hoagy Carmichael.
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSun Jun 29, 2008 5:42 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

Can't wait for your review of Das Boot! Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSun Jun 29, 2008 5:45 pm

swiss_tiger wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Can't wait for your review of Das Boot! Nod

I can't either. I'm going to watch the 3.5 hour director's cut version (instead of the 5 hour TV miniseries version or the 2.5 hour version originally showed in the US). I'm not sure if I'll get it in today or not.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSun Jun 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Boot has to be one of my husband's favorite flicks. He also liked The Seven Samurai.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_minipostedSun Jun 29, 2008 6:21 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Boot has to be one of my husband's favorite flicks. He also liked The Seven Samurai.

I want to see that one, too! Speaking of Japanese films, I just found out yesterday that A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorized remake of Yojimbo. When Leone directed For a Few Dollars More he apologized to the people associated with Yojimbo, and gave its director $100,000 along with 15% of the box office receipts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)   The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Page 1 of 1