DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Empty
PostSubject: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:43 am

06/27/2008 10:55 PM ET
Granderson just keeps swinging
Center fielder's hitting streak coincides with team's resurgence
By Scott McNeish / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Basketball players get out of slumps by continuing to shoot. According to Curtis Granderson, the best way to escape a hitting slump is to keep swinging.

The Tigers' star center fielder has employed that tactic recently. No drastic adjustments. No change in approach. Maintaining the same swing that made him a premier leadoff man last season, he has hit his way out of a month-long slump.

Not to mention, he's riding a career-high 15-game hitting streak.

"It's like in basketball: You got to just keep shooting your way out of it," Granderson said Friday afternoon. "In baseball, you got to hit your way out."

Granderson has hit .443 (27-for-61) during his streak, with four doubles, three triples, seven RBIs and 12 runs. His batting average has jumped 54 points to .294, thanks in part his second straight four-hit game on Friday. More importantly, however, his production has given the team a boost. He has jumpstarted the offense and helped the Tigers become one of the hottest teams in the Major Leagues.

Detroit's record during Granderson's hitting streak: 12-3.

"He's our catalyst," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "When he's hot, we're pretty good."

Granderson didn't sizzle much in May, when he hit .226, including an 0-for-6 in one game. His average dropped to .235, and his on-base percentage nearly dipped below .300. His strikeout problems resurfaced, as he struck out 26 times in 106 at-bats. Worse yet, he couldn't explain why it happened.

Again, Granderson, a former basketball player and devoted University of Kansas men's hoops fan, likened the situation to basketball.

"You step on the court [and] you have your basketball shirt, your shorts, your shoes tied up. Then you play, and no matter who I'm playing against, you can't stop me," Granderson said. "The next day we come out, we got the same teams coming out, everything's the same, and I can't hit a shot. That's what happens in baseball.

"You pick up your bat, and you say, 'Is this my bat? It doesn't feel right; my timing is off; I can't see right; I'm not picking up the spin good.' But everything is the same. You get to the ballpark at the same time, you do your batting practice, and next thing you know, you just can't get a hit for three weeks.

"I was sitting there watching film trying to find something wrong," Granderson continued, "and everything was the exact same. So I think, 'Why am I not getting it done?'"

But he kept the same approach and the same swing. Then, without warning, everything clicked. The hits piled up. A spike in confidence followed.

"Something happens and you say, 'There's my bat. It feels good again.' And nothing's changed," Granderson said. "You either feel it or you don't. They guys that are the best can find a way to continually feel it."

He's certainly feeling it right now.

Granderson extended his career-high streak with an impressive 4-for-5 effort Friday against the Rockies, his second four-hit game of the season.

He's not concerned with the streak or jinxing it. He'll talk about it. Teammates tell him not to, but that became difficult when text messages and calls about it flooded his cell phone. But whether the streak continues or not, he wants to remain focused on the game at hand.

And keep on swinging.

Scott McNeish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:44 am

....and 2 more Triples too!!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:45 am

Yepee!!! :curtis: is Mr. Triples!!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 am

Hey girl, how you been?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 am

Good and bad, ya know how it is. I will have to call you and fill you in on my latest not so fun times.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:18 am

We must be competing for who is having the worst time right now.....
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 am

You guys make me sad Frown

I hope both of you are doing alright....
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 am

GO GRANDY!!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:23 am

Granderson should be an All Star.

Best in CF in MLB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!   Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Granderson just keeps swinging - 15 game streak!
Page 1 of 1