DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for

Go down 
+3
Trinita
gdennis59
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Empty
PostSubject: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 am

June 23, 2008 - Detroit Free Press

Well, the Tigers are playing better. I know, I know. It's about time.

But teams have to start somewhere. And on this trip, something has lit a fire under our team.

On our Western trip, we lost the first game to the Giants, but then Ryan Raburn hits a tiebreaking home run off Jonathan Sanchez in a 5-1 Tigers win on Tuesday to even up the series.

The next day, the team is talking about an article in the San Francisco Chronicle by Henry Schulman.

Schulman wrote: "Adding to the wickedness was the fact that Sanchez was beaten not by one of Detroit's high-salaried thumpers, but a .219-hitting scrub named Ryan Raburn, who pinch-hit for Kenny Rogers in the eighth inning and broke a 1-1 tie with a homer three-fourths of the way up the leftfield bleachers -- Andres Galarraga territory."

When we read that, we lost our collective minds.

Henry Schulman just called one of our teammates a scrub.

Isn't that a little harsh? I can't think of anybody who has ever played in the major leagues as a scrub -- not even Bob Uecker.

When Tigers manager Jim Leyland saw the article, he was livid. We all were.

Ryan just laughed it off. What else could he do? He'd just been humiliated by a guy he'd never met.

The proper term for what Ryan does is: "A role player or backup." He's actually very useful. He plays outfield and infield in the big leagues. (I wonder if Schulman could do that?)

Sure we've got thick skin, and reporters don't bother us for the most part. But when it's a personal attack on a guy's ability or perceived place in this game, enough is enough.

I'd rather be a scrub than be a guy who sits on the sideline and watches what happens and then writes about it. How about next time, Mr. Schulman, you just report on the game and you show Mr. Raburn and the hundreds of players on all clubs that fill out the big leagues some respect and call him a backup or a utility player.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 11:59 am

That is uncalled for. I mean, Raburn is a great player, he's in the major leagues isnt he? That is totally wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Trinita

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Who does this guy think he is???????
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Thank you Todd for calling this dude out! Writers like Schulman are the reason why I'm not becoming a journalist.
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Curtis Granderson wrote about this in his blog. He stood up for Ryan and all the other utility players out there!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 8:28 pm

I think the whole team is highly pissed about this!
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 8:41 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Good!

LMAO I'd like to hear what ol' Hothead Miggy would say about it....
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 9:19 pm

TigerLily wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Good!

Just don't let him have a bat in his hands when he hears! Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for O050
Back to top Go down
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Trinita

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 9:27 pm

TigerLily wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Good!

I'd love to see Miggy when he's angry..........
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 3:17 am

Here's the WHOLE article written by that piece of shit reporter. I'll even throw in the link afterwards and you can read the comments left by Giants and Tiger fans....and it includes a link to e-mail the "reporter" directly, if you so desire whistle

Sanchez gets loss after fine outing

Henry Schulman, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

(06-17) 23:09 PDT -- Baseball has an evil way of balancing its ledgers, as Jonathan Sanchez learned in a 5-1 defeat Tuesday night. One start after winning a game he deserved to lose, he lost a game he deserved to win.

Adding to the wickedness was the fact that Sanchez was beaten not by one of Detroit's high-salaried thumpers, but a .219-hitting scrub named Ryan Raburn, who pinch-hit for Kenny Rogers in the eighth inning and broke a 1-1 tie with a homer three-fourths of the way up the left-field bleachers - Andres Galarraga territory.

"I could have done that," Rogers told Raburn when he returned to the dugout.

The Tigers added a run in the inning, and Marcus "Homer or Nothing" Thames took Vinnie Chulk way out in center field - Barry Bonds territory - in a two-run ninth that sealed a Tigers win and ensured the Giants will leave San Francisco after today's game having lost three consecutive homestands.

The Giants were heartbroken for Sanchez after he took a no-hitter into the sixth inning and struck out eight in seven-plus innings only to have his win streak snapped at four. Sanchez did not allow a ball out of the infield until Edgar Renteria busted the no-hitter by slapping a leadoff single to left in the sixth.

"His first five innings could be the best any of our starters have thrown all year," Rich Aurilia said. "That's the positive thing. That why the loss is so hard to swallow."

Manager Bruce Bochy said Sanchez threw "a great ballgame" and bemoaned another bad offensive game against a left-handed pitcher, in this case Rogers, the 43-year-old whose career dominance in Oakland (25-4) appears to work on the west side of the bay.

The Giants scored once in seven innings against Rogers on a Bengie Molina sacrifice fly in the sixth that scored Fred Lewis, who had two hits.

The Giants have a gem in Sanchez, who won his previous start in Colorado on Thursday when he picked a good day to allow seven runs in five innings. The Giants gave him eight runs in a 10-7 victory.

"He's filthy," Thames said of Sanchez. "I was talking to Pudge (Rodriguez). He's been playing for 18 years and said that kid is nasty. He has a nasty slider. He pitched great."

Rodriguez even made a point of asking Sanchez what pitch he threw to get him to ground into a seventh-inning fielder's choice. That meant something to Sanchez, a fellow Puerto Rican, who said, "That's one of the greatest. He's going into the Hall of Fame."

Most impressive was the way Sanchez dominated a modern-day murderer's row of Tigers who batted right-handed, including the first seven in the lineup.

Sanchez has proven he can foil right-handers as long as he throws strikes, and he threw lots of them. He struck out two Tigers in each of the first three innings, including righties Placido Polanco, Carlos Guillen, Miguel Cabrera and Thames.

The third run charted to Sanchez might have been preventable. With runners on the corners and nobody out in the eighth, Guillen hit a comebacker to Billy Sadler, who, in Bochy's words, "had a mental drift there" and failed to look Renteria back to third. When Sadler threw to second for a force, Renteria raced home.

The play upset Bochy because he had just convened the infield on the mound and reminded everyone to make sure to cut off that third run. Bochy also was not pleased with the fastball down the pipe that Chulk threw in the ninth to Thames, who is having the streak of a lifetime.

All of his last eight hits have been home runs. He also tied a Tigers record by homering in his fifth straight game, blasting the ball way over the center-field fence and onto the roof of the concession stand beyond.

When told that Bonds was just about the only player to hit that structure, Thames smiled and said, "That's good company. That's all right. I used to love to watch him hit them here. He was one of my favorites."

This game featured a bizarre moment of baseball jurisprudence. In the eighth , Cabrera flied out to Aaron Rowand, who threw to first in a bid to double off Magglio Ordoñez. Simultaneously, second-base umpire Brian O'Nora called the runner out while home-plate ump Paul Nauert called him safe. They conferred, and the safe call stood.

On the next pitch, Ordoñez was thrown out trying to steal to end the inning.

E-mail Henry Schulman at hschulman@sfchronicle.com.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/17/SPD011AJOH.DTL
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 4:13 am

Wow, that is a lot of hate for one journalist in those comments. Even the Giant fans seemed appalled that Schulman said that...
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 4:20 am

TigerLily wrote:
Thank you Todd for calling this dude out! Writers like Schulman are the reason why I'm not becoming a journalist.
You could do it so much better than this Shulman type of writers though! clap
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 4:28 am

swiss_tiger wrote:
TigerLily wrote:
You could do it so much better than this Shulman type of writers though! clap

Hug Thanks Swiss. My brother's actually suggested I become a sports writer before and actually I'm considering doing some writing of that nature for my college's newspaper (Rolling Eyes the pitiful, four-page pamphlet that goes out bi-weekly... I guess we all have to start small, right?).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for   Todd Jones: Columnist's scrub comment was uncalled for Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1