DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones

Go down 
+4
SoulRat
catbox_9
GoGetEmTigers
bobrob2004
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Empty
PostSubject: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedMon Nov 12, 2007 9:31 pm

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

Right-hander will enter season as team's closer
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Hours after acquiring one Jones on Monday, the Tigers held onto another. The latter filled a bigger need.

Todd Jones was hours away from being free to sign with another club, and he had other clubs with interest, but he had already pretty much made up his mind to stay put. A day of negotiations ended with a one-year, $7 million deal that keeps him closing games in Detroit for 2008.

"Ultimately, the team that I felt had the best chance to win was Detroit," Jones said. "And where my heart is, is in Detroit. It's just great. I just appreciate the Tigers letting me kick tires and letting me look around with no hard feelings. Because in an industry where ultimately it can sometimes become a very harsh business, [president/general manager] Dave [Dombrowski] and I maintain a very professional relationship."

Jones was a free agent this offseason after racking up 75 saves over the last two seasons, including 38 this year. At age 39, he had a chance to determine the course for the final years of his career.

Before the season even ended, however, he knew what his market would be. The one place he truly wanted to gauge in terms of interest was Atlanta, a short drive from his Alabama home and his family. Once he filed for free agency after the World Series ended, he had a chance to check with the Braves and what they were planning.

"That question was simply yes or no, and their answer was no," he said.

With that decided, he checked with his family to see how they felt about him going back up north for another season. Their response to another summer in Detroit was overwhelmingly positive. He had chances to go elsewhere, but there wasn't much debate left. From there, it was up to Dombrowski and Jones' agent, Randy Hendricks, to work out a deal.

"As a free agent, you work awfully hard to get these type of opportunities in your career," he said. "Over my 14-year career, I've only been a free agent three or four times. You want to see what's out there, but at the end of the day, you have to decide what's important for you.

"I think the folks that know me, know that money's not always the driving force. It obviously had something to with it and you want to try to make as much money as you can, but it doesn't make any sense to go someplace just for more money."

Another chance at the postseason with the club that gave him his first chance to close more than a decade ago was important for him. For the Tigers, handing the closer's job to a closer they knew rather than going to the open market was important.

"We're very happy to have Todd back in the organization," Dombrowski said. "For us, he's done a quality job."

From the outset, the Tigers had placed a priority on re-signing Jones this offseason, but that need became even more important once Joel Zumaya underwent shoulder surgery earlier this month. Zumaya had been the Tigers' insurance policy at closer in case Jones didn't return, and he was expected to be eased into the closer's role as the year went along.

Now, Jones will enter his 16th Major League season as Detroit's unquestioned closer at a raise from the two-year, $11 million contract he signed two winters ago. From there, the Tigers will try to fill in the innings in front of him. Depending on Zumaya's situation, Jones could be closing beyond 2008.

"Joel is going to be a real tough void to fill," Jones said. "You're going to see just how valuable he is by the amount of money that Dave has to commit to try to fill those spots."

At this point, Dombrowski said, setup is not the Tigers' main priority. With the closer's role now filled and a left-handed bat for left field with the trade for Jacque Jones earlier in the day, the more immediate task on the to-do list is starting pitching, where the Tigers have another free agent they'd like to keep.

In Kenny Rogers' case, there was no chance at a deal on Monday. Agent Scott Boras had already stated they plan to listen to offers from other teams, leaving the Tigers to look at their other options.

"Our No. 1 priority is trying to get a starting pitcher," Dombrowski said. "I'm not going to forget about the bullpen by any means, but getting Todd back, at least I feel comfortable knowing what we have out there. We're aware of the bullpen. I don't think it's anything we would rush out and do immediately. We'll be more aggressive in [the starting] front."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedMon Nov 12, 2007 10:04 pm

You beat me, I was just going to do it.
clap
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 3:08 am

Meijer is having a sale on Tums! Buy now!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 9:22 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Meijer is having a sale on Tums! Buy now!
LMAO
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 4:18 pm

California has Meijer?
Back to top Go down
tigerswinloseordraw
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
tigerswinloseordraw

Female
Number of posts : 301
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 5:31 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
California has Meijer?
So happy to hearJones is back so that knocks my M. Rivera fantasy out the window. Now I have to go back to being scared of him.

And wow had no idea Meijer was in California, but will be needing Tums so Thanks catbox.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 7:35 pm

JONES RULES!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Best relief pitcher ever
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 7:37 pm

JUST KIDDING!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedTue Nov 13, 2007 8:18 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
California has Meijer?

NO! That was a joke LOL! I have no idea what they're pricing Tums at right now...
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedWed Nov 14, 2007 2:22 pm

Jones is coming back.....(grabs heart)!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_minipostedWed Nov 14, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm already making out my last will and testament.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones   Tigers re-sign reliever Todd Jones Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1