DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Gary Sheffield Career Tracker

Go down 
+12
bobrob2004
mrsrabelo
swiss_tiger
GoGetEmTigers
laprimamirala
iluvpudge7
Lo_x15
prod
catbox_9
tigersaint
SoulRat
gs78
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 1:49 am

My biggest fear is the fish grab him LMAO LMAO Rolling Eyes pray
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 1:53 am

LMAO I don't think you have to worry about that. I don't think our major league farm system would take on his salary! Besides.... Fish aren't particularly fond of Sheffs....Sheffs put Fish in frying pans! LMAO
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 1:54 am

Bah all the fans want him back, I'm like noooooooooooooo!! affraid They might though if Tigers eat his salary. pray
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 am

Well...I doubt the Tigers will eat his salary. I'm sure some other AL team that needs a DH would take him and his salary. The Red Sox are looking for a bat....the tried to get Brian Giles from San Diego....but Giles invoked his no-trade clause, stating he wanted to stay in Cali with his family.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:01 am

Good! He can stay in the AL.

Christ, I mean seriously, who'd want him? He's been worthless.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:06 am

Boston would take him if for no other reason than to try and stick it to the Yankees. Could you imagine how pissed the Yankee fans would be of Boston claimed him and Sheff helped the Sox keep the Yankmees out of the post season? That would be priceless!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:08 am

It would LMAO

C'mon Bawston, I have faith Nod Dooooo eeeetttttt!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:27 am

SoulRat wrote:
My biggest fear is the fish grab him LMAO LMAO Rolling Eyes pray

Better the Fish than the 🐅
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:29 am

True, but Bawston would still be lots better Nod
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 am

SoulRat wrote:
True, but Bawston would still be lots better Nod

Sheff should be playing baseball in Mexico or Japan
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:31 am

Nod I'll chip in for a ticket Nod Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:38 am

But who else has been placed on waivers??????????the article never went on to say much more than that
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 11:27 am

laprimamirala wrote:
But who else has been placed on waivers??????????the article never went on to say much more than that

Not sure how true the list is, but...

Waiver Trade Candidates: American League

By Tim Dierkes [August 4, 2008 at 5:33pm CST]

Home Contact About Advertise Archives Widget Fantasy

« MLBTR Reader Geography | Main | Renck's Mailbag: Snell, Helton, Holliday »
Waiver Trade Candidates: American League
By Tim Dierkes [August 4, 2008 at 5:33pm CST]

5:33pm: I noticed that Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe rattled off a slew of possibilities to clear waivers this month, including Kevin Millar, Rafael Betancourt, Bobby Crosby, Mark Ellis, Alan Embree, and Raul Ibanez.

9:19am: Today let's take a swing through the American League and identify players who could clear waivers this month. If a player clears waivers he can be traded to any team for another such player or a prospect not on the 40-man roster.

• Rays: Trever Miller, Jonny Gomes. Gomes is already earning $1.275MM this year; he might be a non-tender candidate after the season. Miller is earning $2MM. Both are having poor seasons.
  • Red Sox: Jason Varitek, Julio Lugo, Mike Timlin, Alex Cora. These players should pass through waivers unclaimed, but no one will want to trade for them. Lugo has $20.8MM remaining on his contract.
  • Yankees: Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Bobby Abreu, Johnny Damon, Ivan Rodriguez, Carl Pavano. Many of the Yanks' high-priced stars could clear waivers, but trading them wouldn't make sense. Pavano could be moved in the right situation.
  • Blue Jays: Scott Rolen, Vernon Wells, Lyle Overbay, Gregg Zaun. The Jays don't seem likely to attempt to unload any of these contracts, except maybe Zaun. Jon Heyman believes A.J. Burnett could also slip through waivers.
  • Orioles: Aubrey Huff, Melvin Mora, Ramon Hernandez, Jay Payton, Jamie Walker. It's not hard to envision most of these guys clearing waivers, and maybe a few salary dump deals can be worked out. Huff's .912 OPS ranks 10th in the AL, and he has about $10.5MM left on his contract through '09. I could see a team claiming him.
  • Twins: Michael Cuddyer, Mike Lamb, Adam Everett. These players should all clear waivers. Lamb and Everett could become DFA candidates.
  • White Sox: Jim Thome, Ken Griffey Jr., Paul Konerko, Jose Contreras, A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Uribe, Mike MacDougal. The Sox have plenty of high-priced vets who could make it through waivers.
    Konerko would be tough to move given his poor performance and 10-and-5 rights.
  • Tigers: Gary Sheffield, Edgar Renteria, Kenny Rogers, Todd Jones, Dontrelle Willis, Nate Robertson. The Tigers are seven games out in the AL Central; a few weeks from now they might look to get some money off the books.
  • Royals: Jose Guillen, Jimmy Gobble, Ross Gload. Gobble and Gload don't seem likely to help a contender, while the Royals apparently want to keep Guillen. Jon Heyman believes Mark Grudzielanek would clear.
  • Indians: Paul Byrd, David Dellucci, Jamey Carroll. Byrd has almost $2.5MM left on his deal, but we could still see a team put in a claim. Jon Heyman thinks Byrd will clear waivers.
  • Angels: Garret Anderson, Gary Matthews Jr., Justin Speier. The Halos have some questionable contracts, but trades are not expected.
  • Rangers: Kevin Millwood, Vicente Padilla, Michael Young, Frank Catalanotto, Marlon Byrd. It wouldn't be surprising to see Catalanotto and/or Byrd moved this month. Padilla is owed more than $17MM through '09. If a team claims that contract maybe the Rangers should let him go.
  • Athletics: Eric Chavez, Emil Brown. An August deal seems unlikely for the A's.
  • Mariners: Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista, Jose Vidro, Kenji Johjima, Miguel Cairo. All kinds of bad money here. Washburn has another $13.45MM coming through '09, but he might be claimed. Jon Heyman believes Adrian Beltre would also clear waivers.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 11:30 am

so basically this is a list of teams who want to shed some chaff?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

laprimamirala wrote:
so basically this is a list of teams who want to shed some chaff?

Putting someone on waivers means virtually nothing. It just gives them the option to trade since those players have already cleared waivers. Normally overpaid players like Sheffield will clear waivers since nobody wants to take on that contract. And still, if a team puts someone on waivers and someone else claims him, the other team can pull him back. That's the difference between someone "clearing waivers" and "not clearing waivers."

I don't see this as a big deal until someone is interested in taking Sheffield. Until then...yawn
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 12:48 pm

ok...if yer yawnin', then I'm yawnin'.....
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 1:22 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
ok...if yer yawnin', then I'm yawnin'.....

Well, you have to remember, it takes 2 teams to make a deal. Also, Sheffield has a no-trade clause, so if a deal was reached, Sheffield could nix it (ala Brian Giles to Boston). It's going to take so much for a deal to happen, that I don't see one happening.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 1:30 am

08/13/2008 7:45 PM ET
Sheffield expects to stay in Detroit
Tigers designated hitter focusing on his play, health
By Scott McNeish / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Gary Sheffield responded to all the controversial dark clouds hovering over his head this week.

First came the Boston Globe article in which he was quoted saying that he would rather play the outfield than designated hitter, and how he feels like he's platooning with other players. Then came manager Jim Leyland's shocked response. And then came an ESPN.com report that said the Tigers have placed Sheffield on waivers. Finally, his two-homer game on Tuesday.

The 39-year-old slugger stood at his locker on Wednesday afternoon and put everything on the table.

He addressed the waiver issue, which ESPN.com's Jayson Stark posted before Tuesday's game. Such a move is typical for players at this point in the season, therefore Sheffield responded to it with a ho-hum shrug.

"I don't pay attention to it," he said. "I've been on waivers plenty of times. I don't know why it's a big deal. I've been put on waivers my entire career. That's nothing new to me. Manny Ramirez, the great players in the game have been put on waivers, so that don't mean a thing.

"Only when it's me or Manny or somebody that people got an opinion about. That's when it's a big deal."

Asked if he wants to finish this season as a Tiger, he said, "I have never thought otherwise."

Sheffield believes the Detroit fans have targeted their boos on him because of the need to blame someone or something for the Tigers' disappointing season.

"It just so happened that people, because our team hasn't been going the way everybody would like, so this is the one opportunity they have to jump on something and say, 'See, I told you,' or, 'Here we go again,' or whatever," he said.

Sheffield entered Wednesday's game hitting .223 with 12 home runs and 35 RBIs -- far from the potential Hall of Famers usual production.

At 39 years old, he remains realistic. He doesn't expect to put up the numbers that made him a nine-time All-Star. He just wants to be judged fairly and not compared to the prominent young players in today's game.

"Compare me to me," Sheffield said. "If you're looking for .300, 30 [home runs] and 100 [RBIs], then I look pretty awful right now. I ain't the only .220 hitter in this game. I ain't the last one to hit .220, but it's never a big deal when a lot of guys that play everyday, hit in the same spot everyday, and hit .220 and nobody says a thing."

Sheffield and most people in the Tigers organization believe his struggles have stemmed from an injured shoulder suffered last season and complications in the recovery from offseason surgery.

To those who might ask for him to sit if he isn't healthy enough to play, Sheffield had a retort.

"I'm just going to give it to you straight," he said. "When the organization tells you that you're fine, I can't say I'm not fine. I have to be on the same page as the organization. That's just the way it goes.

"I talked to my trainer, and he said, basically, what I'm doing is unrealistic. That's what he said. I said, 'Why won't anyone say that on my behalf? Why do I always have to come up here and defend me?' And he just said, 'Be realistic with yourself.' That's all I needed to hear. After that, I felt good about walking on the field. I have no extra incentives to play hurt.

"I could sit down like everybody else, but I choose not to do that. If they pay me to play, I'll play."

Sheffield said he has given reporters mixed statements about his health because his health changes almost daily.

"Anybody that has the type of surgery I had, and then you're limited in certain areas, then one day you're not limited, and then two days later you're limited again -- you don't understand it," he said. "I'm not a medical guy. I'm not a doctor. I might be feeling great the day I tell you I feel great. Two days later, I'm not."

That said, he takes full responsibility for his performance this season. He's as honest as players come and he refuses to make excuses.

"If I'm on the field, I don't have any excuses. I didn't get it done. That's all there is to it. If I'm not getting it done, I didn't get it done. What else can happen to me if I just say I didn't get it done? Nothing. I didn't get it done."

Scott McNeish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm

scratch Gee...if I go to work and "don't get it done", I'll get fired.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:

But your Union will file a grievance and get you your job back lol!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 pm

gs78 wrote:
Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:

But your Union will file a grievance and get you your job back lol!

Not in a lot of companies anymore!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedMon Sep 01, 2008 7:25 pm

09/01/2008 2:20 PM ET
Sheffield alone at 25th with No. 494
Veteran's homer off Ponson breaks tie with Gehrig, McGriff
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Tigers designated hitter Gary Sheffield moved alone into 25th place on the all-time Major League home run list with No. 494, a solo shot against the Yankees on Monday.

It was Sheffield's second homer this year against his former squad, which traded him to Detroit after the 2006 season in exchange for three prospects. From a more historic career standpoint, it broke him out of a tie with Hall of Famer Lou Gehrig and former Sheffield teammate Fred McGriff, a feat Sheffield was anticipating because of what it would mean to pass McGriff, his fellow Tampa, Fla., native and good friend.

Sheffield's drive to left-center field came off Yankees starter Sidney Ponson to lead off the bottom of the second inning. It was his first home run since Aug. 18 at Texas.

The 500-homer mark is Sheffield's next milestone, though he has tried not to play it up. After Monday, the Tigers have 25 games left this season for Sheffield to hit six more home runs. He has 14 so far this season, but nine of them have come in 39 games since the All-Star break.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 am

09/08/2008 8:15 PM ET
Sheffield reaches 496 career homers
Tigers slugger hits solo shot, grand slam against Athletics
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Gary Sheffield hit his 495th and 496th career home runs Monday against the A's, jumping him ever closer to the 500-homer mark.

Sheffield's first homer since Labor Day came on a full-count fastball from Oakland rookie left-hander Gio Gonzalez, which Sheffield promptly sent out to left for his 15th home run on the season.

A second-inning rally promptly brought Sheffield back up with the bases loaded and Gonzalez still in the game. Gonzalez fell behind before Sheffield blasted a 3-1 pitch an estimated 408 feet for his 13th career grand slam.

Sheffield's 37th career multihomer game was his first since Aug. 12.

None of the 24 players to reach the 500-homer mark has done so in a Tigers uniform. Forty-one of Sheffield's home runs have come since joining Detroit after the 2006 season, including 11 in 45 games since the All-Star break.

With Monday's effort, he'll have 18 games left this season in which to reach his milestone.

Sheffield currently ranks 25th on the all-time big league home run list. His previous home run had pushed him past Fred McGriff and Lou Gehrig and into the top 25.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 2YfVEtzf
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 am

I'll tell ya what, Sheff can still run pretty Censored fast! I was at the game tonight and he busted in from 2nd base! Makes us almost 40 year olds proud thumbs up
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedWed Sep 10, 2008 10:12 am

Well, we are seeing a healthy Sheff right now! If he stays healthy the rest of the year, I bet we see the Sheff of 5 years ago, next year! They said it has been 5 years since he ended a season, and started the next season without any injuries or surgeries!

I still think he can be a powerhouse player, that can steal bases and fly around the diamond! As you saw Tuesday, iluvpudge7.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 3:16 am

09/16/2008 1:22 AM ET
Sheffield one step closer to 500 homers
Slugger's 497th shot is line drive, scores three runs
By Drew Davison / Special to MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- Detroit Tigers designated hitter Gary Sheffield inched closer to the prestigious 500 home run club on Monday night.

Sheffield belted career homer No. 497, a 1-0 fastball from Rangers reliever Josh Rupe, over the left-field fence to give the Tigers a 4-0 lead in the fourth inning. The three-run, 351-foot blast was Sheffield's 17th of the season.

The home run, though, had people buzzing even after the game as it left Rangers Ballpark in Arlington in seconds on a rope.

"He hits home runs that are line drives," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "I don't know how many of them have been like that, but I've seen quite a few of them."

Now, though, the veteran slugger is just three home runs shy of becoming the 25th member of the exclusive club.

Even though Sheffield has said he'd start thinking about it more and more as he gets closer, Leyland doesn't think it'll change Sheffield's approach.

"I doubt he's going to press," Leyland said. "He's just got to let it happen. If you hit the ball hard, it's going to go out."

Tuesday night's blast was Sheffield's first since Sept. 8, when he had two home runs against the Athletics. With 12 games remaining, Sheffield is now well within reach of joining the elite club by the end of the season.

Drew Davison is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedTue Sep 16, 2008 8:29 am

I still dont like him.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedSat Sep 27, 2008 12:02 am

09/26/2008 10:31 PM ET
Sheffield cranks No. 498, 499
Tigers slugger connects against Rays in first, eighth innings
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Gary Sheffield wasted no time picking up his chase for 500 home runs, smacking his 498th and 499th homers on Friday in his first game since returning from a four-game suspension.

The Tigers slugger had been disciplined for actions stemming from last Friday's fracas in Cleveland. He elected to serve the suspension immediately rather than appeal so that he could get through it before the season ended rather than carry it into next year. That seemingly put his chase for 500 home runs on hold until next April, unless he could homer three times this weekend.

Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 2YfVEtzf

Friday's homer made that appear a little more realistic. Sheffield came up with two outs in the first inning against Tampa Bay starter Andy Sonnanstine and lined an opposite-field shot just over the fence in right field for his 18th home run of the year. It was also his fifth in September, a run which has allowed him to quickly threaten the milestone that just 24 Major Leaguers have reached.

In the eighth, Sheffield pulled a Grant Balfour offering deep to left for his 19th home run on the season and his third multihomer game of the year.

Sheffield has at least two more games left in which to hit the one homer necessary to join the 500-homer club. He could have a third game Monday if postseason implications force the Tigers to make up their rained-out game against the White Sox in Chicago from earlier this month.

Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedSat Sep 27, 2008 9:58 am

Good, Now he can get to 500 and get the hell out of detroit.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_minipostedSat Sep 27, 2008 11:02 am

If Sheff is healthy, he adds a lot to the batting order! Yes, he has a big mouth... but he still makes pitchers change the way pitch to him, and those batting on either side of him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gary Sheffield Career Tracker   Gary Sheffield Career Tracker - Page 8 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Gary Sheffield Career Tracker
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next