DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!

Go down 
+3
SoulRat
gs78
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Empty
PostSubject: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 am

Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers
It’s routine but timing offers intrigue by his recent news

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • August 12, 2008

The Tigers placed Gary Sheffield on trade waivers Tuesday, a procedural move that may or may not have a link to comments the slugger made recently about his role on the team.

Players must be placed on waivers in order to be traded after July 31. Teams typically put most of their players on waivers at this time of year, even if they have no immediate intention of trading them.

In that respect, Tuesday’s move was routine.

Yet the timing — two days after the Boston Globe published a story in which Sheffield said he did not want to continue as a designated hitter in Detroit — offered some intrigue.

Sheffield — who homered in his first at-bat Tuesday night against Toronto — will be on waivers for two days, during which time every club in baseball will have the opportunity to claim on him.

If he is claimed, the Tigers will have the option of assigning his contract to that team. In that event, the claiming team would be responsible for all the remaining money on Sheffield’s contract: roughly $3.5 million this year and $14 million next year.

Sheffield entered Tuesday’s game with a .219 batting average, 10 home runs and 33 RBIs in 76 games, during a season in which he has suffered through the effects of off-season shoulder surgery.

For those reasons — his contract and his production — it is almost certain that Sheffield will clear waivers Thursday afternoon.

At that point, he essentially will regain the status he had before baseball’s non-waiver trade period expired July 31: He will be on Detroit’s active roster but with the possibility that he could be traded.

It does not appear that Sheffield has formally requested a trade, but his recent statements suggest he would be open to playing for a team that would make him an everyday outfielder. Sheffield told the Globe: “I can be in the outfield and play every day. I don’t want to DH. I don’t feel like a baseball player when I DH.”

Sheffield and the Tigers disagree on his ability to play the outfield — something he has not done in a game since May 16.

On Monday, Sheffield said in an interview session at Comerica Park that he is “capable of playing the outfield.” On the same day, Detroit manager Jim Leyland said medical personnel have informed him that it would be “suicidal” for Sheffield to play in the outfield now.

“He could hurt again by diving for a ball,” Leyland said.

Sheffield’s discontent with his role, coupled with the uncertainty surrounding his health, will have a significant impact on his trade value.

In other words: If Sheffield does not want to be a designated hitter, and his own team doubts his physical ability to play the outfield, which general manager would be eager to take on the $17.5 million remaining on his contract?

As such, the Tigers would likely need to assume a large portion of Sheffield’s contract in order to trade him.

At this point, though, it is unclear how many clubs have serious interest.

The Tampa Bay Rays attempted to add a right-handed-hitting outfielder prior to the non-waiver deadline, and they could renew their pursuit this month — especially since star leftfielder Carl Crawford was recently placed on the disabled list. Sheffield, whose contract includes a no-trade clause, grew up in Tampa, which could enhance the appeal for him.

Contact JON PAUL MOROSI at 313-223-4097 or jmorosi@freepress.com . Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:02 am

PLEASE GOD LET SOMEONE SIGN HIM

MY BIGGEST FEAR IS THIS S>O>B WILL PLAY LIKE GANGBUSTERS THE REST OF THE SEASON: TIGERS WILL FALL SHORT OF THE PLAYOFFS BUT ILITCH SIGNS THIS BASTARD TO A BIG ONE YEAR CONTRACT

SHEFF SPENDS 09 INJURED, BITCHING AND K's
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 am

pray fish, pray don't take him. He's not good No
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 am

He is still signed through 2009 season.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:36 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
He is still signed through 2009 season.

rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 8:31 am

someday he will learn to stop shootin' his mouth off!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 8:07 pm

No takers for Sheffield on waiver wire
Team now free to trade designated hitter at any point

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • August 14, 2008

As expected, Tigers designated hitter Gary Sheffield cleared trade waivers this afternoon.

Now that the team has secured waivers on Sheffield, it can trade him at any point between now and the end of the regular season.

Sheffield is owed roughly $17.5 million between now and the end of the 2009 season, which limits his trade value.

Sheffield entered today’s game against Toronto with a .222 batting average, 12 home runs and 35 RBIs in 78 games, during a season in which he has suffered through the effects of off-season shoulder surgery.

Sheffield’s attorney, Rufus Williams, said earlier this week that his client had not asked the Tigers to be traded. Yet, Williams has left open the possibility that Sheffield, who has a limited no-trade clause, would agree to a deal.

“We’ll have to see what it is,” Williams said Tuesday. “I don’t think you close any doors. I think you see what it is.”

Sheffield and the Tigers disagree on his ability to play the outfield, which he has not done in a game since May 16.

On Monday, Sheffield said in an interview session at Comerica Park that he is “capable of playing the outfield.” On the same day, Detroit manager Jim Leyland said medical personnel have informed him that it would be “suicidal” for Sheffield to play in the outfield now.

It’s not clear how many teams have interest in acquiring Sheffield. Any talks would likely begin with the other club asking that the Tigers assume a substantial portion of the money remaining on his contract.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm

The Jays made a huge mistake not pitching to Sheff in the 8th

He would have popped up or Struck Out

Smooth Move Cito Gaston
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 9:08 pm

my thoughts exactly! I couldn't believe they walked him!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Thank You Cito
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Glad they did, that way he did not strike out!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 9:24 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Maybe he would have hit a HR
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 9:37 pm

gs78 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

True, but since the tiger won, it does not matter!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
gs78 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

True, but since the tiger won, it does not matter!

I was reading some of the comments on the Jays message Board

Nobody mentioned the Intentional Walk of Sheff

They were blaming Frasor, or saying BJ Ryan should have pitched a 2 inning save or Carlson should have pitched the inning, etc
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Yay2 It took em long enough!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedSat Aug 16, 2008 2:51 pm

If I were him I'd just take all my millions and retire and go lay my Moon in a hammock on the beach drinking Amaretto Sours.... Nod
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedSat Aug 16, 2008 3:02 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
If I were him I'd just take all my millions and retire and go lay my Moon in a hammock on the beach drinking Amaretto Sours.... Nod

:haha: Me too Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedSat Aug 16, 2008 3:05 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:

he's gonna do that anyway! why not sooner than later?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedSat Aug 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Sheff will be back next year
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedSat Aug 16, 2008 5:27 pm

gs78 wrote:
Sheff will be back next year

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 20, 2008 12:14 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:

why? he's got 14 million reasons to play next year....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!   Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tigers put Gary Sheffield on waivers but no takers!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: