DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2008 Presidential Election Thread

Go down 
+12
gdennis59
bobrob2004
rickimouse
kharmon
iluvpudge7
laprimamirala
Ohios#1TigerFan
gs78
TigerLily
GoGetEmTigers
SoulRat
catbox_9
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Who gets your vote?
John McCain (R)
2008 Presidential Election Thread Vote_lcap32%2008 Presidential Election Thread Vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
Barack Obama (D)
2008 Presidential Election Thread Vote_lcap37%2008 Presidential Election Thread Vote_rcap
 37% [ 7 ]
Other
2008 Presidential Election Thread Vote_lcap31%2008 Presidential Election Thread Vote_rcap
 31% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

2008 Presidential Election Thread Empty
PostSubject: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSat Jun 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Discuss the upcoming Presidential election. Even if you aren't eligible to vote in the real election, feel free to vote in the DTF1 election.

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHER PEOPLE'S COMMENTS. THERE IS TO BE NO PERSONAL ATTACKS OF OTHER POSTERS IN THIS, OR ANY, THREAD.

Last edited by catbox_9 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSat Jun 07, 2008 10:55 pm

I don't want either. Any suggestions for a write in??
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSat Jun 07, 2008 11:55 pm

I like what robin williams said:

YA, GOTTA LOVE HIM....A MUST READ...PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR...READ THIS!

The Plan! for president

2008 Presidential Election Thread 2560175660_3c02ab6b12_o

Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says 'I love New York' in Arabic.

You gotta love Robin Williams......Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'

1) 'The US will apologize to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys', we will never 'interfere' again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East!, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.

6) The US will! make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere .' They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good! home less shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH... learn it, or leave... Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, "you want a piece of me?"
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 12:41 am

I'm crazy about that plan-- totally for it. I love Robin Williams, he's not afraid to say what everyone else would find "politically incorrect". (While I'm at it: screw political correctness. It's suppression of the freedom of speech.)
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 1:01 am

I'm for what he said 100%. Maybe we should get him to run!!!
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 1:11 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I'm for what he said 100%. Maybe we should get him to run!!!

LMAO Every other Friday would be crazy impression day...
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 1:56 am

He has my vote
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 1:58 am

Either Williams or Family Guy's Peter Griffin

They have Peter Griffin presidential ads on You Tube!

Funny Stuff
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 10:54 pm

SoulRat wrote:

I'd say write yourself in but you aren't old enough to be President. Besides, you'd never win.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Bob Barr, is fed up with the parties and is the Libertarian presidential nominee. He has name recognition and a good stance on stuff.

http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also the Constitution Party is on all 50 states ballots and Chuck Baldwin is their nominee. You can read his parties platform and about him at:

http://www.constitutionparty.com/

The year Bob Dole ran, I voted Taxpayers Party (now called the Constitution party), as did thousands in Ohio! They should do well since the party has matured and is nationwide.

I know I CAN'T VOTE OBAMA, and am having a hard time going with McCain!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 12:07 am

I wanted to vote Libertarian but no way I'm voting for Barr...

He is a strong supporter of the war on drugs including prohibition of medical marijuana. While I am not a marijuana/drug user myself I'm not naïve enough to think nobody does. There's money to be made here so why not make money?

He is against same-sex marriage. While I am not gay, I do not have a problem with this either. Who are we to say who can and can't get married. Most of this falls back on Christian beliefs that say marriage should be between a man and a woman, but this country isn't founded on Christianity, the First Amendment gives us freedom of religion. While I have no problems with Christianity and am probably more Christian than anything, I don't see how same-sex marriage is any worse than say a heterosexual marriage between say two Jewish people. They aren't Christian either so if you want to bad one type of religion that's anti-Christian, why not ban them all? I've also heard the argument that the whole point of marriage is to have children and same-sex couples can't have their own children. Should senior citizens and sterile people be prohibited from marrying, too?

He would like to ban people that are member of Wicca from the military. Again, this seems to be limiting religious freedom which is treason as far as I'm concerned.

He wants to repeal the 16th Amendment which authorizes Congress to levy an income tax. I'm not as strong a supporter of the 16th Amendment as I am the First one, but repealing any Constitutional Amendment as a major platform for your campaign seems quite extreme and borderline treason once again.

He has been (as recently as 2002) called "The idol of the gun-toting, abortion-fighting, IRS-hating hard right wing of American politics". Those are all very right-wing ideals and a Libertarian is supposed to be liberal when it comes to personal freedoms but that does not seem to be the case with Mr. Barr.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 12:09 am

I suppose I'll have to vote for Obama after reading up on Barr, Obama, and McCain. One thing about McCain that left me pleasantly surprised...

He is in favor of stem cell research. I never understood why anyone could oppose this. What is the harm in studying medical waste if it could help someone in need?
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 12:01 pm

This is why I refuse to vote for Obama! Click the link below. It's a bit lengthy (16 minutes I think), but it's VERY informative.

http://www.eyeblast.tv/Public/Video.aspx?rsrcID=2036
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 12:13 pm

I think I will vote for my cat [again].
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 pm

I wish I could vote for Armondo G! LOL
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Okay, MAGGLIO FOR EL PRESIDENTE!!! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Pudge is a US born citizen (Puerto Rico)! And he is great at stopping people who try to steal (congress?) and can stop a lot of wild pitches (congress again!), and does a lot of negotiating with pitchers (needed everywhere in government)
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 2:13 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Pudge is a US born citizen (Puerto Rico)! And he is great at stopping people who try to steal (congress?) and can stop a lot of wild pitches (congress again!), and does a lot of negotiating with pitchers (needed everywhere in government)

He's the right age too (more than 35)! but I think he would politely decline!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 3:04 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

clap applaud thumbs up
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Since when did Puerto Rico become part of the United States?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Must have missed something!

GO PUDGE GO!
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 3:21 pm

From Wikkipedia:

On July 25, 1898, during the Spanish–American War, Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States with a landing at Guánica. As an outcome of the war, Spain ceded Puerto Rico, along with Cuba, the Philippines, and Guam to the U.S. under the Treaty of Paris.

The United States and Puerto Rico thus began a long-standing relationship.

So.....I guess Puerto Rico has been a US colony since 1898....that's how I interpret it. lol
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 pm

I was just going to say, 1898 during the Spanish-American War.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedMon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 pm

the start of our international imperialism!
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedTue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
I was just going to say, 1898 during the Spanish-American War.

Not that either of us were there to see it happen....but sometimes I feel old enough to have been! lol2
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedTue Jun 10, 2008 2:32 pm

you and me both, brother! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedTue Jun 10, 2008 3:16 pm

WOW!

Next thing you know someone will say that Pluto is not a planet! lol2
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedTue Jun 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Or that the Earth is Round!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedTue Jun 10, 2008 4:33 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

I'd say write yourself in but you aren't old enough to be President. Besides, you'd never win.

I wouldn't want that job anyways.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 am

I think Ron Paul is still in the running...as a 3rd party candidate. That's another option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Presidential Election Thread   2008 Presidential Election Thread Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2008 Presidential Election Thread
Page 1 of 23Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next