DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2008 Detroit Lions Thread

Go down 
+5
GoGetEmTigers
bobrob2004
gdennis59
gs78
catbox_9
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 02, 2009 5:23 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I meant a new owner who would keep them in Detroit.

Yeah, we need both!

I wonder how long before some company starts making 0-16 memorabilia? So far the Highland Mint has no commemorative plaques for sale.

As well they shouldn't

That be like making plaques that commemorate the Titanic sinking or the Hindenberg crashing

Some things are better left unsaid or not done
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 02, 2009 5:26 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I meant a new owner who would keep them in Detroit.

I know what you meant

But look how fast the Sonics relocated in the NBA

Or the Browns, Colts, Rams, Cardinals and Titans in the NFL

Or the Jets; Whalers and Nordiques in the NHL

Though I believe the Lions are under a lease for another 20 years at Ford Field

Unless it were bought out by the new owners
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 02, 2009 5:26 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Even though the Lions don't play on Sunday, I'm sure they'll find a way to lose.

Thumb Down
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 02, 2009 5:27 pm

GO LIONS IN 2009
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 02, 2009 7:17 pm

I want one of those shirts...
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedFri Jan 02, 2009 8:30 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
I want one of those shirts...

I want to burn one of those shirts thumbs up
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedSat Jan 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Saturday, January 3, 2009
Millen: I would have fired myself
John Niyo / The Detroit News

Former Lions president Matt Millen made his first public comments Saturday since being fired Sept. 24, three games into what would become a record-setting 0-16 season in Detroit.

Millen, in a brief introduction as a new member of the NBC studio team, sat down for an interview with co-host Dan Patrick, answering questions about his tenure with the Lions. Contrite at times, defiant at others, Millen was asked about his reputation after presiding over a league-worst 31-84 record in seven-plus seasons.

"Oh, if you're just gonna say, 'Oh, that's the stiff who used to be up in Detroit and they lost all those games, it's gotta be on him,' I would say, 'Yeah, I was in Detroit and you do have to blame me.' " Millen said. "But there's a lot more to it than that. Listen, I could give you excuses. I'm not gonna do that. I can give you explanations. To me, that's just an excuse after the fact. So you take the hit and you move on. How they look at me? I know what I am. You can say whatever you want about me."

But for the first time, Millen acknowledged he wasn't fully prepared to take on the task of running an NFL franchise when the Lions hired the Fox broadcast analyst in 2001. Was he qualified for the job?

"In some areas, yes. In some areas, no," Millen said. "Certainly from a football point of view, and the Xs and Os, and that's something that you study for a long time and you understand. But there's a whole other side to that job that you have to learn. And, frankly, I didn't understand it going in and I had to learn it."

He admitted the changes he made -- from coaches to offensive philosophy to draft strategy -- were detrimental, in hindsight.

"Well, you change coaches because obviously you're not having success," Millen said. "But that's a great point that you make. Because any organization that's gonna have a winning record, it all comes back to not only stability, but consistency. You have to have consistency in philosophy, you have to have consistency with scheme and that type of thing, and so when you're changing things over, that's tough to do."

Asked if he would've fired himself, Millen, whose dismissal was made three days after a lopsided loss at San Francisco dropped the Lions to 0-3, didn't flinch.

"Yeah, I would have, actually," he said. "I wouldn't have -- probably not this year, until after the season. Because I think when you start having change over in an organization, it filters down to the locker room, and that's tough to do. And I thought that was a tough position for Rod Marinelli to be in, who I think is -- Rod's a stud. I mean, Rod's an outstanding football coach, and obviously the thing went the other way on him this year. But that's a tough position for him."

Marinelli, who was 10-38 in three seasons as the Lions coach, was fired Monday at the completion of the first 0-16 season in NFL history. But Millen said he shoulders the blame for that record.

"Completely responsible," he said. "I mean, you were head of football operations, you throw it back on me. You can say something about the coaching, you can say something about the players. But inevitably, I'm responsible for them. And so I'm completely responsible for it in my mind."

And he admitted it was tough to watch the last few months.

"Oh, it was brutal," Millen said. "Obviously, knowing everybody up there and being so intimate and knowing (and) understanding the detail and watching it unfold, it was probably harder watching it from home than it was when you're up there. Because at least when you're up there, you have some interaction. At home, you're just sitting there."

But when asked how close the Lions were to turning it around, Millen answered, "A lot closer than people think."

"I mean, right now it's easy to just sit around and say, 'Aw, the Lions, they stink,' and kick 'em when they're down," Millen said.

"But if you take a look around this league right now, in fact, we're gonna watch one today -- Atlanta had four wins a year ago, one (win) in Miami. I mean, it's doable. Is there enough talent up there in Detroit? Absolutely. You have one of the top receivers right now in the league in Calvin Johnson. You've got a good running back (Kevin Smith) . There's some pieces in place in the offensive line. Defensively, they have some people. Do they need some help? Yeah, they need some help. But it certainly can be done."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 04, 2009 3:31 am

He's a bloody liar! He refused to resign for years saying they'd have to fire him. I didn't think it was possible, but I have even less respect for him now than before.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 am

Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
He's a bloody liar! He refused to resign for years saying they'd have to fire him. I didn't think it was possible, but I have even less respect for him now than before.

I bet he writes a book [ like Canseco] next!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedThu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 pm

I can't believe NBC even hired Millen

He sucks!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedThu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm

You can count on one thing - the guys at NBC won't (or at least shouldn't) ask him for front office advice/analysis.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedThu Jan 08, 2009 8:05 pm

They might anyway

They seem to believe everything that windbag says
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 21, 2009 7:58 pm

I miss chanting " Fire Millen"
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 13 Icon_minipostedThu Jan 22, 2009 11:23 pm

This Lions fan got an 0-16 tattoo....