DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2008 Detroit Lions Thread

Go down 
+5
GoGetEmTigers
bobrob2004
gdennis59
gs78
catbox_9
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 08, 2008 10:06 pm

Too bad Raiola can't put as much effort on the field

His ass should be gone next year

Lions need to clean house
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 08, 2008 10:07 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
How are your Lions predictions so far this season? I think you are 0-13. I'm 12-1.

I predict Lions wins the rest of the way

I will finish 3-13
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 09, 2008 9:52 pm

Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Raiola fined $7,500 by Lions
John Niyo / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- The Lions slapped center Dominic Raiola, one of the team's captains, with a $7,500 fine Tuesday for his "inappropriate conduct directed toward fans" during Sunday's 20-16 loss to the Vikings at Ford Field.

Raiola jousted verbally and made an obscene hand gesture as he responded to hecklers in the stands behind the Lions bench.

"We have tremendous respect and appreciation for all of our fans and we believe Dominic's behavior this past Sunday was not consistent with what we expect from members of our team," Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand said in a statement Tuesday. "Our players, coaches and staff are held to high standards of sportsmanship and conduct. We are disappointed with Dominic's behavior and apologize to any fans who were offended by it."

On Monday, Raiola defended his actions, saying he was tired of putting up with taunts and insults from fans.

"I don't take one thing back," said Raiola, in his eighth NFL season -- all with the Lions. "I'll say the same thing to a fan that I see on the street."

The fine money will be donated to a local Detroit charity. The NFL also is looking into the incident and could issue its own fine this week.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Lions: Notebook
Who's the Lions' quarterback now?
Culpepper's status is in question, Orlovsky trying to return and Stanton says he's ready.

ALLEN PARK -- With the injury status of starting quarterback Daunte Culpepper up in the air -- results of an MRI exam on his right shoulder weren't known Monday -- the Lions weren't sure who would be taking the first-team snaps when practice resumes Wednesday.

Culpepper injured his throwing shoulder on the final series of Sunday's 20-16 loss to Minnesota, when Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards came down on his arm while he attempted a Hail Mary pass. Backup Drew Henson came in for the final play of the game.

Dan Orlovsky, who started four games before suffering two fractures and a torn ligament in his right thumb Nov. 2 at Chicago, said he will try to return to practice this week in the hopes of playing Sunday at Indianapolis.

"I thought last week I was probably a week or two away, so we'll see how it feels this week," said Orlovsky, who admitted he was having problems with velocity and accuracy on his throws a week ago.

Drew Stanton, who hasn't played since suffering a concussion Nov. 23 against Tampa Bay, said he's ready to play, too, if called on.

"I guess part of it will depend on Daunte's health," said Stanton, who was the emergency third quarterback Sunday. "But I've got no idea, per usual."

Stanton, who played in relief twice last month but has yet to start an NFL game, returned to practice last week and split the scout-team reps with Henson.

"I feel good," Stanton said. "My head's been clear. I've felt good for about a week now. I had no problems working out, being able to understand anything. I'm glad to be beyond that."
Extra points

Marinelli explained cornerback Brian Kelly 's benching Sunday as a coaches' decision to play three safeties against the Vikings, though it was nickel back Travis Fisher who started in Kelly's place. Kelly said he was given the same explanation, but he clearly wasn't happy with not playing.

"That's Rod's answer -- that's not mine," Kelly said, declining to elaborate.

... The Lions placed linebacker Alex Lewis on injured reserve -- he missed the last two games because of a chest injury -- and signed linebacker Darnell Bing off their practice squad.

... Asked how the Lions could beat the Colts (9-4) on Sunday, Fisher was frank.

"We're gonna have to do everything right -- everything," he said. "I mean, the past games when we've been embarrassed, we're gonna have to do everything right or it's gonna be worse than that. We know that. If you don't know that, you're crazy."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Lions release cornerback Kelly

ALLEN PARK -- The Lions released veteran cornerback Brian Kelly on Tuesday, less than 48 hours after he was benched for the entire game in a 20-16 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Kelly, 32, was one of the team's higher-profile offseason acquisitions. Kelly bought out the remaining year of his contract with Tampa Bay in order to become a free agent, and signed a three-year, $8.75 million deal with the Lions in March. The 10-year pro was well-versed in the Lions' Tampa 2 defense and was expected to bolster the team's struggling secondary, but he has been a major disappointment this season.

"Unfortunately, it just didn't work out," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "Based on our current defensive lineup, Brian would have been relegated to a situational cornerback and a special teams player and that would not have been in anyone's best interest. My respect for Brian is as strong as ever. He's always been the consummate pro."

The team signed cornerback Dexter Wynn on Tuesday to replace Kelly on the roster. Wynn spent five NFL seasons with Philadelphia and Houston but was cut by the Texans after training camp this season.

Sunday's benching was Kelly's second this season -- he also was in uniform but didn't play a down in an Oct. 5 loss at home to Chicago. And after the loss to the Vikings, in which Travis Fisher started at right cornerback and was replaced by Ramzee Robinson -- not Kelly -- when he was injured in the fourth quarter, Lions coach Rod Marinelli admitted this roster move might be under consideration.

"It was just a coach's decision to go with Fisher all the way," Marinelli said.

But when asked why Kelly, who started 10 of the 11 games he played, was still on the roster if he wasn't going to play, the coach replied, "There's no question: We have to look at that. Or get him on some special teams units."

Kelly, who had 25 tackles and no interceptions this season, didn't have much to say about the benching Monday, though he was clearly upset. Marinelli's explanation that the Lions went with three safeties for much of the game was the same one Kelly said he'd received from the coaches.

"I don't have a story for you -- that's what I'm saying," Kelly said. "That's Rod's answer. That's not mine."

Kelly received a $3.25 million signing bonus in his deal with the Lions, and his $1.25 million base salary is guaranteed this season. He's free to sign with another team that would pick up a prorated amount of that salary.

Kelly's release likely means the Lions expect cornerback Keith Smith, who missed the last month with a groin injury, to be ready to return this week.

The Lions also signed defensive end Rudolph Hardie to their practice squad, a day after Darnell Bing was signed to the 53-player roster when linebacker was placed on injured reserve.

You can reach John Niyo at (313) 982-3810 or john.niyo@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedWed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 am

He ain't the only one that should be released
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male
Number of posts : 903
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd jones
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedWed Dec 10, 2008 8:36 am

wow 8 mill for 3 years that a little low compared to some people who get like 15-20 mill every 3 years
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhitebro
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedWed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm

GO LIONS

BEAT THE COLTS
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Lions lose again! 0-14. 2 losses away from perfection.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Sunday, December 14, 2008
Colts 31, Lions 21
Lions preserve perfect record

INDIANAPOLIS -- As 17-point favorites, the Colts played themselves as much as they played the winless Lions on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

But the good news for Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy is his team had plenty of practice last week, easily handling a 1-11-1 Cincinnati team, 35-3.

"You just really have to disregard their record -- not read too much about them, but just watch the tape," Dungy said. "Fortunately, we have a lot of guys that do that. They pay attention to what they see, and that's why we're usually ready."

The Lions put their seventh key player on injured reserve this week when defensive tackle Cory Redding, one of the team's captains, was shelved for the season. Rod Marinelli's team also is forced to make another change at quarterback, with Daunte Culpepper (shoulder) inactive and Dan Orlovsky returning to the lineup six weeks after fracturing his right thumb. Also out was starting receiver Shaun McDonald, who missed a second-straight game with an ankle injury.

Asked if that would cause further havoc for an offense still struggling to find a rhythm, offensive coordinator Jim Colletto could only laugh.

"Are you describing the whole season?" he said. "It makes it harder because you have to go back and reteach things and see how much they can handle in a three- or four-day period of time. You're not going to be as efficient or as fluid as you'd like to be."

The Colts also sat two notable starters in running back Joseph Addai (shoulder) and Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Welp. Sorry gs.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 15, 2008 5:18 am

Next two games could be tough if Detroit wants to stay defeated.......Saints have little to play for and it's in Detroit.

Packers have little to play for. It's in Lambeau though which should make it extra tough on Detroit.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 15, 2008 4:56 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

pray
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

pray

Better make that a double - they play 2 bad teams.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Lions will beat the Saints

Saints are eliminated from the playoffs
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 am

MICHAEL ROSENBERG | ROAD TO XVI
With two games left, what could go right for Lions?

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • December 15, 2008

These are heady times here at the Road to XVI. What started as an absurd and pathetic dream has morphed into … well, it’s still an absurd and pathetic dream. We like to think that’s appropriate. We’re not real big on progress around here.

In just 12 days, we will find out if our heroes will reach the mountaintop, then turn around and realize they are actually in a valley and were walking on their hands.

Our motto is “Nothing is Possible,” so of course we believe. The Lions are 87.5% of the way down the Road to XVI, and as I always told my parents in high school, an 88 is a solid A grade. Nonetheless, this is not a Road to LXXXVII.V%.

We’re all about perfect imperfection here. And, as the Lions get ready to play their final two games, we must ask: Where are they most likely to mess this up?

At home against New Orleans?

Or in Green Bay?

It comes down to a philosophical question. Are the Lions more likely to win on the road, where everybody wants them to lose, or at home, where nobody wants them to win?

I think the atmosphere at Ford Field has been depressing, morgue-like and downright eerie, but most people don’t think of it as fondly as I do. The atmosphere might explain why the Lions have played significantly worse at home than on the road.

In fact, if they get outscored by six points Sunday, they will be the worst home team in the history of the NFL.

Meanwhile, they haven’t won in Wisconsin since President Bush’s first term. Wait, I typed that wrong: They haven’t won there since the first President Bush’s term. That was 1991. Their annual trip to Green Bay is always a loss, though the trips have had their high points. Three years ago, Shaun Rogers got a great deal on a 22-pound wheel of cheddar, which he finished on the flight home.

Seventeen years! It is fair to wonder how a man can withstand that many years of failure. After all, until this year, the Lions were trying to win. How does William Clay Ford Sr. handle it?

Monday afternoon, somebody asked Head Man Rod Marinelli what Ford Sr. is actually like. Most reporters don’t really know Ford Sr. Generally speaking, franchise owners only show up for trophy presentations and championship parades, so we’ll get to know Ford better in a couple of weeks.

This was Marinelli’s answer:

“Obviously he’s a great person. We all know that. He does a great job of listening. Great listener. That’s the sign of a leader. He knows the questions he wants to ask and he asks them. … He’ll ask the questions until he gets the answers he wants.”
That last sentence, like the work of James Joyce, needs to be re-read several times to be fully appreciated. He’ll ask the questions until he gets the answers he wants. That sounded to me like Ford Sr. likes having Yes Men around, so I asked Marinelli what that meant.

“I just think the questions are very good,” Marinelli said. “He knows how to ask good questions, I guess you could say. He’s very good at that. That’s why he’s been so successful.”

That’s so nice that the owner asks good questions. Maybe he’ll help me out at Rod’s next press conference.

I wonder if Ford Sr. is studying the schedule, wondering if his team has a better chance to win at home or on the road. After all, with just one win, the Lions will be off the Road to XVI.

“We’re trying to win two games here,” running back Kevin Smith said Monday, and though I wasn’t there when he said it, reliable sources swear he had a straight face. “Not one. We’re trying to win two. We’re 0-14. Oh, my God.”
I plugged “Oh, my God” into the Rod Marinelli Translator, and you know what I got? “Oh, my God.” Amazing.

XIV down, just II to go. “Nothing is Possible,” and with the next game at home, this week the Lions are literally going nowhere. Just like we always suspected.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or mrosenberg@freepress.com. For more information on his new book, “War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler and America in a Time of Unrest,” go to www.michael-rosenberg.com or www.amazon.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 am

Shocked LMAO
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedTue Dec 16, 2008 4:10 pm

Lions will beat the Saints

26-14
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Lions lose 42-7.

Lions become the first ever NFL team to go 0-15. clap
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 7:18 pm

Shield's will offer free pizza if Lions win Sunday

Rooting against the Lions on Sunday? Your stomach just might outvote you.
Advertisement

Shield’s restaurants will offer free large pizzas if the Lions end their 0-14 streak with a victory over the New Orleans Saints on Sunday.

The pizza giveaway, which involves a large pizza with two toppings, will be held Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. only. You have to dine in (no carry outs) at any Shield’s location, including ones in Troy, Southfield, Rochester, Macomb Township and Warren.

That’s all if the Lions win. If not, the team would likely share its weekly allotment of crow with anyone who’s interested.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 7:19 pm

So much for free pizza...Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 8:52 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Lions lose 42-7.

Lions become the first ever NFL team to go 0-15. clap

Mad
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 8:53 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Shield's will offer free pizza if Lions win Sunday

Rooting against the Lions on Sunday? Your stomach just might outvote you.
Advertisement

Shield’s restaurants will offer free large pizzas if the Lions end their 0-14 streak with a victory over the New Orleans Saints on Sunday.

The pizza giveaway, which involves a large pizza with two toppings, will be held Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. only. You have to dine in (no carry outs) at any Shield’s location, including ones in Troy, Southfield, Rochester, Macomb Township and Warren.

That’s all if the Lions win. If not, the team would likely share its weekly allotment of crow with anyone who’s interested.

None in my neighborhood
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 8:53 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
So much for free pizza...Crying or Very sad

rant rant rant
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Lions will beat Green Bay next week
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 10:28 pm

Sunday, December 21, 2008
Saints 42, Lions 7
Lions make history as 0-15 team
Dana Wakiji / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- You can't win 'em all, but the Detroit Lions are edging perilously closer to losing them all.

The New Orleans Saints marched into Ford Field and rolled to a 42-7 victory over the still winless Lions, who fell to 0-15.

"We were outplayed in every area of the game -- kicking, offense, defense," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "Our defense never gave us a chance to get in the game, not at all. We couldn't get them stopped on third down. If you can't do that, you can't win. The penalties hurt us early in the game and that's really the story."

The Saints could have been perfect on third down but they elected to kneel on third down on the last series of the game. The finished 11-for-12, best in the league since 1991, according to STATS.

The Lions have just one chance left to win a game this season -- next Sunday at Green Bay, a place they have not won since 1991.

"I don't think we think about that," center Dominic Raiola said. "It's just the fact that we haven't won yet. You think about it, it's not going to be easy. We've got to try and get everybody going and go out there and salvage this. Nobody's going to remember 1-15. Everybody's going to remember 0-16."

It was an inauspicious beginning for the Lions as the Saints' Skylar Green took the opening kickoff 60 yards to the Lions' 41-yard line.

Robert Meachem ran a reverse for 20 yards as the Saints took a 7-0 lead at 12:23 of the first quarter.

The Saints intercepted Dan Orlovsky's pass at their own 3-yard line and proceeded to go 97 yards in 17 plays, ending with Deuce McAllister's two-yard run for a touchdown at 1:07 of the first quarter.

The Lions finally got on the board in the second quarter when they went 85 yards on 12 plays and Kevin Smith ran the final yard for a touchdown at 9:45 of the second quarter.

But the Saints came right back and answered the Lions' score with another of their own when Mike Bell ran one yard for a touchdown. The drive was not without some controversy as Drew Brees threw to Bell for 14 yards and officials ruled that Bell fumbled at the 1-yard line with Daniel Bullocks recovering the ball in the end zone. The Saints challenged the call and it was ruled Bell's knee was down before the fumble.

The Lions had a chance to go into halftime trailing by just 14. But Brees found Devery Henderson for 32 yards to the Detroit 8-yard line. Two plays later, Pierre Thomas ran two yards for a touchdown with :47 left in the half.

Henderson burned the Lions again when he caught a 64-yard pass from Brees, taking the ball to the Lions' 6-yard line. Brees then connected with Marques Colston for a six-yard touchdown pass and the Saints led 35-7.

"Drew Brees is a good quarterback," linebacker Paris Lenon said. "They have some good backs. They have a speed threat in No. 19 (Henderson). We were well aware of what they were about. You can't come out there and do the things that we did and expect to come out victorious."

New Orleans added another touchdown when Brees threw a three-yard touchdown pass to Colston with 3:04 left in the third quarter.

After throwing for 351 yards against the Lions, Brees needs 401 yards to tie Dan Marino's season record of 5,084 yards, which he set in 1984.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 21, 2008 11:00 pm

Sunday, December 21, 2008
Lions' Mayhew, Lewand to return in '09

DETROIT -- The Lions' den is a mess, as Sunday's embarrassing display in a 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints showed once again at Ford Field.

But don't expect a thorough house-cleaning, even if the Lions make history next week in Green Bay by capping the NFL's first-ever 0-16 season.

Lions owner William Clay Ford Sr. confirmed Sunday afternoon that Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew -- the two men promoted in the wake of team president Matt Millen's firing in September -- both will be returning next season.

Lewand is the team's chief operating officer in charge of day-to-day business operations, while Mayhew was promoted from assistant general manager to GM when Millen was fired. Both have reported directly to Ford Sr. since, and while the owner declined to specify what their future job titles will be, both are expected to have input on any additional front-office moves.

"I don't want to delineate positions to exactly where 'This is you' and 'This is me,'" Ford Sr. told Booth Newspapers prior to Sunday's game. "I want to leave some latitude. When we get a good person, I want Martin in on that, I want his opinion."

Asked about the possibility of hiring a GM with total authority, Ford added, "It depends. I don't know about the odds. Let's see who's available and what experience they have and see if they fit in any of our slots."

Ford Sr. said he hadn't made up his mind yet about coach Rod Marinelli's future.

Mayhew declined to comment after Sunday's loss. Lewand would neither confirm nor deny the report, but he did meet with the owner Thursday. And all three men were together talking on the field prior to the game.

"I think there's a point in time to talk about the future, and that's not now," Lewand said after the game in a mostly-empty Lions locker room. "But I think it's safe to say the way we've done things has not produced the results we've wanted on the field. And clearly, we have to do things differently. I think Martin said it at the outset when he was named the general maanger -- that we need to make better decisions. And that carries throughout the organization, and we're gonna move forward under that mantra."
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 22, 2008 3:17 am

1 more game to go! Can they do it?

....they will do it whistle
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 22, 2008 8:24 am

catbox_9 wrote:
1 more game to go! Can they do it?

....they will do it whistle

Yep, I think they will have the all time record of 0-16. Maybe Ford will then understand how bad the team and coaching really is.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_minipostedMon Dec 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Lions will win and save the day

Lions 28

Packers 23

My Prediction
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Detroit Lions Thread   2008 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 11 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2008 Detroit Lions Thread
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next