DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS

Go down 
+7
swiss_tiger
gdennis59
SoulRat
Trinita
laprimamirala
gs78
GoGetEmTigers
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Empty
PostSubject: Polanco returns to Tigers lineup on 04/18/2008   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 am

04/18/2008 7:25 PM ET
Polanco returns to Tigers lineup
Second baseman had been resting sore left hip flexor
By Gregor Chisholm / Special to MLB.com

TORONTO -- After receiving one day off to rest a sore left hip flexor, second baseman Placido Polanco made his return to the Tigers starting lineup on Friday night against the Blue Jays.

His presence there may be short-lived, though, as Detroit manager Jim Leyland said he would most likely give Polanco another day off on Saturday to ensure the injury doesn't linger for an extended period of time.

Last season, the 32-year-old All-Star established career highs in batting average (.341), RBIs (67) and runs scored (105).

This year has been a different story. Polanco, who is in his fourth season with the Tigers, has gotten off to a slow start, hitting just .154 (8-for-52) with four RBIs and just four runs scored.

Leyland admitted prior to the Tigers four-game series opener against Toronto that he thought the hip injury was a factor in Polanco's subpar performance.

"I think he's affected," Leyland said. "Exactly how much I don't know, but I definitely think he has been affected."

What makes Polanco's early slump even more frustrating for Detroit is that during Spring Training, he was arguably the Tigers' best hitter. In 23 exhibition games, Polanco hit .408 (29-for-71) with four home runs and 12 RBIs.

Leyland thinks one reason behind the large discrepancy in numbers between Spring Training and the regular season could be the weather. Instead of playing every day under the warm sun in Florida, Polanco has been playing in frigid conditions in Boston, Cleveland and at home in Detroit, just to name a few.

"He was probably real loose down [in Florida]," Leyland said. "I'm sure some of this weather's caught up with [the hip], stiffens up a little bit."

For now the plan remains to rest Polanco when necessary and a trip to the disabled list is not expected.

Injuries have been keeping the Tigers training staff busy so far this season. In addition to monitoring Polanco's left hip, the crew is also working on first baseman Carlos Guillen's sore right hamstring and left-hander Dontrelle Willis' hyperextended right knee.

Guillen, who tweaked his hamstring on April 11 while running down the first-base line against the White Sox, said on Friday that he was improving but the muscle remains a little tight. Regardless, it's not something that is expected to keep him out of any games in Toronto.

Willis has been on the disabled list since April 12. He threw off flat ground on Wednesday and felt fine afterwards, but still does not have a time frame for when he will be able to make a rehab appearance.

Gregor Chisholm is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSat Apr 19, 2008 12:32 am

Leyland also needs to rest Guillen
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSat Apr 19, 2008 11:04 am

we're makin' it back, slowly but surely!
Grandy
Placido
Carlos
Sheff
Miggy
geez, that's a lot of injuries so soon!
Back to top Go down
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Trinita

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSat Apr 19, 2008 6:12 pm

good excuses, anyway
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 6:39 pm

04/20/2008 3:01 PM ET
Polanco sees back woes worsen
Second baseman returns to Detroit for further examination
By Gregor Chisholm / Special to MLB.com

TORONTO -- The news on Placido Polanco's injured back continues to worsen and the Tigers second baseman has returned to Detroit to have the area examined by team doctors.

Polanco has been bothered by soreness in his lower back area since Spring Training, but it was expected to be only a minor issue. The problem is the discomfort has not gone away and there is fear that the injury could be more severe than originally thought.

His departure from the team could not have come at a worse time for the Tigers, who already have six players on the disabled list and are currently playing without the services of designated hitter Gary Sheffield because of a sore right shoulder.

Prior to Sunday afternoon's game against the Blue Jays, Detroit manager Jim Leyland was clearly frustrated at the current state of affairs and was in no mood to discuss the severity of Polanco's injury.

"It's acting up," is all Leyland would say about his second baseman's back.

Polanco has played in 14 of his team's 19 games this season, but has managed to hit just .148 with four RBIs in 54 at-bats.

Polanco's absence on Sunday marked the third time he has sat out over the Tigers' past four games. Detroit has not announced any roster moves, but Leyland did not rule out the possibility that the team may have to send Polanco to the disabled list.

Ryan Raburn got his second consecutive start at second base in place of Polanco. The 27-year-old is batting .375 (3-for-8) with two doubles and an RBI in eight games this season.

The injury news wasn't all bad for Detroit on Sunday afternoon. Center fielder Curtis Granderson has continued to make progress in his attempt to return from a non-displaced fracture of his right middle finger.

Granderson started in center for Triple-A Toledo on Saturday night and went 2-for-4. He is now batting .500 (4-for-8) during two rehab appearances this season.

"His legs are a little sore, but he did fine last night in Toledo," Leyland said.

Granderson originally hoped to make his Major League return on Monday in Toronto, but on Saturday, Leyland said the possibility of that was unlikely. It's unclear at this point if the Tigers' current injury woes will make them rethink that stance.

Gregor Chisholm is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 6:48 pm

I heard Rod and Mario discussing Polly today and Rod was saying that he was having some numbness in his left (??) leg because of his back and they sent him back to Detroit for further testing. That sounds scary Frown
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 6:58 pm

I am worried about it!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Sounds more like a disk problem. I lived with bad disk problems for over 20 years until the disk started bulging against the main spinal nerves. I ended up with back surgery. If it is just sciatica, a chiropractor can help it, if it is more damage, I am then really praying for him!!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:05 pm

OUCH!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Wow, back surgery is scary! I'm glad everything went okay for you.

I sprained my back once and I thought I was going to lay there and die, I can't imagine the pain of playing with a back injury. He should not be playing, period, until he is completely better.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Let's keep our cross fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:19 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Wow, back surgery is scary! I'm glad everything went okay for you.

I sprained my back once and I thought I was going to lay there and die, I can't imagine the pain of playing with a back injury. He should not be playing, period, until he is completely better.

If it is more serious, I hope they have a neurologist working with him, and not an orthopedic DR. As to playing, you are correct, he should not be. In the past they recommended bed rest, not anymore. They recommend regular activities that do not involve sudden violent movements. HELLO--playing baseball is full of sudden violent movements!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:22 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
HELLO--playing baseball is full of sudden violent movements!

Seriously! Figure out what the hell is wrong and fix it. Good gawd DO NOT PLAY BASEBALL!!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 pm

What do you mean dont play baseball???

It's the greatest thing in the world.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:45 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

Not if you have a back or spinal injury!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 7:50 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

Did you read what we were talking about?

Don't play baseball if you have a back injury.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 8:30 pm

If this is as bad as feared, Placido might be done. From Opening Day, he has not been the same. If there is spinal cord compression (what numbness usually means), that probably means surgery.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedSun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Maybe he just needs a little rest
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 6:26 am

The article sounds scary! affraid
This really could end in a long absence for Polly.
cross fingers get well!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 6:49 am

this totally sux!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Wow, hope Polly is ok pray
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm

During the game today, Rod and Mario said that Pollys MRI showed no major problems. I am waiting to post an official notice on his status.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Tests finds 'no major structural damage' with Polanco's back

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 21, 2008

TORONTO – The Tigers said today that an examination of Placido Polanco’s ailing back revealed “no major structural damage.”

He has been placed on medication and is listed as day-to-day, but it was not immediately clear when he would return to the starting lineup.

The announcement was as encouraging as the team could have hoped, given that Polanco’s pain was serious enough for him to come home early from the team’s road trip to be examined in Detroit.

Polanco, 32, has not played since Friday. Because of the back pain – exacerbated by cold weather earlier this month – he has rarely, if at all, played pain-free this season. A .341 hitter last year, Polanco is batting .148 in 14 games.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Well that is good news! I still hope he's not rushed back though.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 6:43 pm

By medication, that probably means muscle relaxants...but those are usually narcotics...
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 6:52 pm

They also use Flexeril which is a muscle relaxer. Been there, done that.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Utram, my buddy, my pal....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 7:48 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Utram, my buddy, my pal....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Been there, done that. Low to moderate level pain pill they use for fibro also. Not as addictive (not if you really have pain). Did not even make me sleepy. Depends on the person.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 8:02 pm

so funny our different responses to medications. Vicodin makes me very friendly! another friend gets sick on it....
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 8:31 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
so funny our different responses to medications. Vicodin makes me very friendly! another friend gets sick on it....

Wave gets sick and puke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS   Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Placido Polanco HEALTH REPORTS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: